Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I think Reed will start against Bowling Green

3,694 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by NyAggie
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Elko will say this and say that but in the end, he has to save his job. He won't lose it this year but he has risk after 2-3 years so he wants to show an upward trajectory.
He will go with who is bringing him wins. He has no special love for any player, he just wants to stay employed (can't blame him).

Reed will be starting QB until the point he falters and begins to fail (if at all). Wiggy will play only as a backup or in garbage time against cream puffs.

Wiggy will likely transfer after the season.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Poopslap?
DelValAg
Reveille is ready to step in...She'll have to check with NIL attorneys first
DelValAg

That happens a lot
infinity ag
fav13andac1)c said:

Poopslap?

haha I won't go that far but I stuck my neck out and made a prediction based on what I think Elko may be thinking. Let's see how right I am.
William K. Klingaman
If we're playing for the future I wouldn't have O'Neill far down the pecking order.
BCR
Or just stay and play baseball.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
I think Napier definitively showed without a doubt the absolute worst way you can manage the QB situation. Elko not starting Reed to just see if it was a flash in the pan or the real deal would be a close second.
dcg4403
AG
We definitely see some significant Reed. They are playing this transition close to the chest.

If we see Weigman, he better be perfect as very short leash. Klein + Reed = impressive offensive.
TAMU74
AG
Reed will start. You can book it
I'm betting Conner will still be on the disability list this weekend.
rljtamu
AG
Reed will start, but Conner will play second half. Conner will look better than Reed. CW is more accurate, especially with long ball. Controversy continues.
Artimus Gordon
AG
I think he better start. We need to keep improving from the Fla. game. Not falling back to the ND game.
TexanJeff
AG
Here are a few things to consider:

1.) Floridas Defense is TRASH. I mean between the injuries and awful coaching from Napiers staff, not sure how much stock to put in the performance.
2.) The offensive line is much improved. Two years ago we could not spring Achane against App St for more than 2 yards a carry. This will help either QB.
3.) Soft part of the schedule. The next two weeks should be wins regardless of QB, so if Wggy has a hurt throwing shoulder why not rest it anyway?
Aggie Dad 26
infinity ag said:

Elko will say this and say that but in the end, he has to save his job. He won't lose it this year but he has risk after 2-3 years so he wants to show an upward trajectory.
He will go with who is bringing him wins. He has no special love for any player, he just wants to stay employed (can't blame him).

Reed will be starting QB until the point he falters and begins to fail (if at all). Wiggy will play only as a backup or in garbage time against cream puffs.

Logic supports your idea and it's what I've been thinking too. But it's Aggie football and we saw what Fisher did with the instruction he was given with his OC last season.

Here's hoping Coach Elko doesn't have an oversized ego
Honolulu Blue
Reed

AgLA06
AG
infinity ag said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Poopslap?

haha I won't go that far but I stuck my neck out and made a prediction based on what I think Elko may be thinking. Let's see how right I am.
Of course not. You're making up fan fiction.

Wiggy was the starter for a reason. No coach in their right mind doesn't evaluate him again vs Reed in practice when he's 100% again. They'll start the best quarterback regardless of all this made up drama.
AgLA06
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

I think Napier definitively showed without a doubt the absolute worst way you can manage the QB situation. Elko not starting Reed to just see if it was a flash in the pan or the real deal would be a close second.
You're lost.

This has everything to do with Conner's not being healthy over Reed being a flash in the pan.

Until Conner is healthy, it's the backup's job. All bets are off when he gets back and they can be re-evaluated. Reed should have a couple weeks to run the system and get comfortable until then.
Sparkie
AG
infinity ag said:

Reed has completed 16 passes in 6 quarters of play (2.7 completions per quarter). He had a qbr of 17 versus MCN. Last week we ran the ball really well against a terrible defense. But, why didn't Reed get to light up Florida's secondary? He needs more reps with the passing game.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
AgLA06 said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

You're lost.

This has everything to do with Conner's not being healthy over Reed being a flash in the pan.

Until Conner is healthy, it's the backup's job. All bets are off when he gets back and they can be re-evaluated. Reed should have a couple weeks to run the system and get comfortable until then.

Conner "not being healthy" was a convenient excuse to give Reed a shot without creating a bigger situation. If he would've just flat out benched Conner then chaos would've ensued. This is Poltics 101.
William K. Klingaman
rljtamu said:

Reed will start, but Conner will play second half. Conner will look better than Reed. CW is more accurate, especially with long ball. Controversy continues.

Not sure what games this season you've been watching.
Bryanisbest
AG
I mostly agree, OP. But, there has to be a bond of tough love with the players in order to get any decision or scheme to work. Players won't play for a coach who cares mightily about winning but not about them.
Bryanisbest
AG
If Colin Klein has any voice at all, Reed will play whole game unless he is way off his game.
Noctilucent
AG
If Weigman is still injured that would be the best scenario, except of course for Weigman. That is, Reed needs more reps, and voila Bowling Green is pretty much a great game for him to do just that. And if he lights it up, maybe get Henderson some reps in the second half.

But, Reed will need more reps against Arkansas. Despite them not being at the head of the class this year, they ought to be tougher than Bowling Green. The thing about it is, Mizzou looms in three weeks. They are close to being at the head of the class, so someone's gonna need to be half way comfortable at QB going into that game.

Weigman may be a pretty unhappy camper if he overcomes the injury and does not play in the next few weeks, but somewhere along the line you gotta go with the hot hand. That's Reed.
Tergdor
AG
Sparkie said:

infinity ag said:

Reed has completed 16 passes in 6 quarters of play (2.7 completions per quarter). He had a qbr of 17 versus MCN. Last week we ran the ball really well against a terrible defense. But, why didn't Reed get to light up Florida's secondary? He needs more reps with the passing game.
The QBR formula is intentionally made to prevent stat padding on the team. Since Reed came into the game when the team was already up 5 scores, QBR increases per play will only be minimal. It's a front-heavy stat when playing cupcakes.

Reed's passer rating that game was 99.7. That's pretty decent for half a game.
NyAggie
AG
AgLA06 said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

You're lost.

Yep

Reed is going to start as long as Conner isnt fully healthy

When Conner is fully healthy, then Elko has a de idiom to make

If that's Arkansas week and reed did well vs bowling green then it's a tougher call than if he did t do well, or if mizzou week and reed had good games vs bg and Arkansas

If that's the case then it's an easy call to start reed vs mizzou

Basically, the longer Conner stays out and teed does well the easier the decision becomes for Elko to make reed the permanent starter

If reed doesn't play well, then it's also an easy decision to go back to Conner when he's healthy

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.