Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M unranked - 8 SEC teams ranked

8,746 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Loftin
Loyalty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just keep winning. Rankings IMO mean very little at this point in the season.
Iowaggie
AG
Logos Stick said:

ND ranked at 18. Lol

And NIU is 25.

I understand why later in the season a team that lost to another team might stay on top of them, but when we're only two games in....NIU should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame, and for that team, the rankings do matter

It's so frustrating that for certain teams, brand names keep a team ranking higher than it should.
infinity ag
Ginormus Ag said:

The longer we are not ranked, the better is for us. Once we get ranked we tend to usually lose the next couple of games. It is like a reverse jinx to not be ranked.

I know what you mean but if we start saying we should not be ranked, it means we will be also rans forever. Top teams are always ranked. We better get used to it.
SunrayAg
AG
I just laugh and shake my head at people who care about rankings in September.
EXCELL
BillYeoman said:

A&M will finish in the top 10 this year.

Let it play out
You're on crack. You don't give up nearly 300 yds to McNeese and come in on the short end of the TOP clock as a top 10 team.
Heineken-Ashi
Whaler said:

"So what have they done to deserve being ranked? Most of them haven't even a played a team that could beat a directional school."

Notre Dame lost to a directional school. Yet Notre Dame beat us…. AT HOME. And we looked like total crap in the loss. We don't deserve to be ranked. Maybe we can earn our way back in, but we're not off to a very good start.
Now do LSU.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
EXCELL
zafzo said:

Logos Stick said:

ND ranked at 18. Lol

What a joke.
They beat us at Kyle. You can make assinine comments like that when you win.
Come Out Roll
AG
HoustonAggie427 said:

Are we really in the bottom half of the league already?!?!

After 2 games? Yea, we are….
Muy
AG
I hope our players hate not being ranked or getting any respect, and start to do something about it.
wangus12
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Interesting since we were 26 in AP and 27 in Coaches last week, and the number of teams 18-25 that lost. Still some adjustment, obviously
We actually went down in votes received which is probably more due to the ND loss than our performance this weekend
halfastros81
AG
Rankings mean nothing at this point.
WolfCall
AG
aglaes said:

Logos Stick said:

ND ranked at 18. Lol
Our loss to ND looking like a bad loss instead of a "good" loss.
Yes, a bad loss to ND and Northern Illinois is rewarded with a #25 in the AP Poll. Seems fair that the team that beat ND at home is ranked above us, the team that lost to ND at home.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
EXCELL said:

BillYeoman said:

Let it play out
You're on crack. You don't give up nearly 300 yds to McNeese and come in on the short end of the TOP clock as a top 10 team.
Don't be stupid and look at stats from a game that was over before halftime and we emptied the bench.

Sure, the subs could have and should have been better but they need reps to learn and they got them.

And I'm not saying I think A&M will be a Top 10 team either. They have a long way to go to get to that point. Both sides of the ball don't seem to be comfortable in the new schemes just yet and the sooner they get there, the better chance of getting to the Top 10. If it takes until mid-season, forget about it.

dcg4403
AG
Why does anyone care about rankings? JESUS!

And what has this team accomplished?

Stupid. Period. The. End.

Season just started. Give this team 6 games into the season before you start spreading total nonsense.
MouthBQ98
AG
Patience…
Gigem713
I thought our loss to ND was a quality loss. Would like to win that game but we were outmatched, Wiggy was off, D was off. ND looked like they could slay the world. Now, ND does not look like a quality loss and that hurts us.
2thFixinAg
Heineken-Ashi said:

For our own fans to use the same logic with other teams they use for us. None of the teams I've listed have proven anything more than we have. I'm ok with us not being ranked and still haven't attempted to to make a case that we should be. But when someone asks "what have we done to deserve it" and I can list over half a dozen other teams that have done less or at best equal with their only caveat that they haven't played anyone, and nobody can give a reason outside of "they have two wins over high schools", I think it's fair to wonder why we're not in the rankings while others are. I even stated that it's meaningless. So not exactly sure where the point in my posts is being missed, other than by fans who want to crap all of our program without holding multiple others to the same standard.
I'll clarify.
Im the first to agree that early polls are just stupid. It's guesswork and a lot is based on how they did the year before. (*cough michigan*)
however.
Not having shown anything great is still better than showing the country in prime time a completely cluster* offense. and then having that loss to a quality team get minimized by them losing to a MAC school. and thus not a quality team.

leftlane4passing
AG
We are literally in the bottom half of the SEC right now, yes.
MaroonStain
AG
Another Zoo wahmbulance thread. Neato.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
LB12Diamond said:

We were ranked bud. But lost. Thats how it kind of works.
Yep, and we did have Natty in 1939, but haven't come close in the last 84+ years.... that's kind of how it works !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Aggie_Nuke
AG
BillYeoman said:

Let it play out
..... and my aunt will become my uncle by growing a pair of balls.... let's wait and see

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
beerad12man
AG
Rankings mean diddly squat right now. Even with a loss.

Just get better each week of a new coaching staff and start to win games. Find a way to get to 10-3 (or better) post bowl.
aglaes
AG
Gigem713 said:

I thought our loss to ND was a quality loss. Would like to win that game but we were outmatched, Wiggy was off, D was off. ND looked like they could slay the world. Now, ND does not look like a quality loss and that hurts us.
No they didn't. Their passing offense was almost as bad as ours. Leonard is not a good QB.

It's just so frustrating that we weren't able to get anything going on offense.
dcg4403
AG
If the team losses just one more game, they make the playoffs. Period. That simple. But not that easy.....

And considering strength of SEC, 3 losses is feasible depending on the specific losses. Must be highly respectful teams.

We just gotta keep improving. I am taking this team one weekend at a time with ZERO expectations other than 8-4 or better.
Heineken-Ashi
2thFixinAg said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

For our own fans to use the same logic with other teams they use for us. None of the teams I've listed have proven anything more than we have. I'm ok with us not being ranked and still haven't attempted to to make a case that we should be. But when someone asks "what have we done to deserve it" and I can list over half a dozen other teams that have done less or at best equal with their only caveat that they haven't played anyone, and nobody can give a reason outside of "they have two wins over high schools", I think it's fair to wonder why we're not in the rankings while others are. I even stated that it's meaningless. So not exactly sure where the point in my posts is being missed, other than by fans who want to crap all of our program without holding multiple others to the same standard.
I'll clarify.
Im the first to agree that early polls are just stupid. It's guesswork and a lot is based on how they did the year before. (*cough michigan*)
however.
Not having shown anything great is still better than showing the country in prime time a completely cluster* offense. and then having that loss to a quality team get minimized by them losing to a MAC school. and thus not a quality team.

Fair, the ND loss to Nillinois is probably what's weighing most. I still stand by teams like Louisville having no business being ranked.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
AgLA06
AG
Logos Stick said:

ND ranked at 18. Lol
Where do you think they end up at the end of the season?

They have USC and Louisville left as ranked teams on their schedule?
Roman Empire
AG
BillYeoman said:

Let it play out

Top 10 in the SEC. Hopefully
AgLA06
AG
EXCELL said:

BillYeoman said:

Let it play out
They averaged 6 plays and 3:01 minutes a possession including the "Ben Hur" 19 play 10 1/2 minute TD drive for 10 points.

We averaged 9 plays and 3:17 a possession for 52 points.

It's not what you are implying.
AgLA06
AG
leftlane4passing said:

We are literally in the bottom half of the SEC right now, yes.
In passing offense and rushing defense.

Top 5 in the SEC for passing defense and rushing offense.
aglaes
AG
AgLA06 said:

EXCELL said:

BillYeoman said:

Let it play out
They averaged 6 plays and 3:01 minutes a possession including the "Ben Hur" 19 play 10 1/2 minute TD drive for 10 points.

We averaged 9 plays and 3:17 a possession for 52 points.

It's not what you are implying.
I think you should focus on the stats up until the point the starters were pulled and we started playing 2nd and 3rd stringers. It was 35-0 when Conner came out with 4 1/2 mins left in the 2nd Q.

Counting the 1 possession that McNeese had after Weigman's last drive, the TOP was 17:54 A&M, 9:31 McNeese
Total yds was 309 A&M, 68 McNeese

We scored 5 TD's on Weigman's 5 drives. We forced two 3 and outs and got 2 INT's on McNeese's 5 drives. The other drive was 6 plays and a punt.
AgLA06
AG
Agreed.

But that skews the data a lot even though it makes sense.

A&M had 52 points in 29:37 for 1.75ish points per minute of possession.
MS had 10 point in 30:23 for .33ish pints per minute of possession.

Almost identical time of possession for 42 points different. Arguing time of possession mattered is asinine to this game. Especially since we called off the dogs at half time.
CoachTx.Ags
conroeag03 said:

People don't realize that McNeese and Northern Illinois are very good football teams. That'll become more apparent as the season progresses. All of the Elko hate is a little premature. Let's not run off another good coach like Jimbo, Sumlin, Sherman, Fran, etc…
McNeese State went 0-10 as an FCS school in 2023. 1-9 Texas A&M Commerce beat them 41-10. They are quite possibly the worst FCS program in the country... which makes them the opposite of "very good" quite literally the easiest team eligible to be on our schedule... if you think there is anything worthwhile that can be taken from this game (other than some guys buried on the DC finally got to play), you're a fool
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I think the road game at Florida will be a good litmus test for us. Dating back to a 43-20 loss to Georgia on 10/28/23, Florida has lost 6 consecutive games against Power 4 teams, including 3 consecutive home games against Power 4 teams. Dating back to the infamous shoe throw in a 37-34 home loss to LSU on 12/12/20, Florida is 10-24 (2-9 at the end of Dan Mullen's tenure, 1-0 under interim head coach Greg Knox, and 7-15 under Billy Napier) in their last 34 games against Power 4 teams.

Dating back to our 42-30 loss at LSU on 11/25/23.we have lost 3 consecutive games against Power 4 teams. Dating back to our 29-19 road loss at Ole Miss on 11/13/21, we have gone 7-15 (7-12 at the end Jimbo Fisher's tenure, 0-2 under interim head coach Elijah Robinson, and 0-1 under Mike Elko) in our last 22 games against Power 4 teams, including 10 consecutive road losses.

Both Texas A&M and Florida lost home openers to nonconference Power 4 opponents by 10+ points each, and both teams are desperate to start 1-0 in SEC play to snap lengthy losing streaks against Power 4 teams. This is a must win road game to snap a 10-game road losing streak and a 3-game losing streak to Power 4 opponents. That would give us our first road win since a 35-14 win at Missouri on 10/16/21. Otherwise, a loss at Florida would extend our road losing streak to 11 games and our road winning drought past 3 years before our next true road game at Mississippi State on 10/19. Also, our losing streak to Power 4 opponents would extend to 4 games.
Loftin
AG
There's not a lot of teams who've looked really good so far this season. A top 25 ranking at this point will definitely include some teams with serious issues already. We could conceivably be one of the 25 best teams, but what we've done so far has our status outside the top 25 look reasonable.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.