Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How Much Does A QB Have To Screw Up Before Pulled.

2,466 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Dad
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With both Reed and Henderson having both played very well and more recently than Weigman, it would have been expected Weigman has a short leash.

Instead it appears Coaches are acting like JFF had one terrible game.

Saban pulled Hurts in a CFP game and inserted Tua and won. Hopefully Elko will allow a true three man competition this weekend and If not, this is looking like a dismal season with tu beating us down at the end.
Maroon Flash
TyperWoods
houstonaggie76
The answer is probably once key leaders on the team show the body language that they want a change. That happens from high school all the way to the pros.
Jason Ag
AG
If this was later in the season maybe. This being the first game with new staff where the score is close, probably biggest factor. Only out of reach when they hit that FG. The Arizona game where Kyler came in and ripped off some big runs might be a better analogy. I would have l liked to see him pulled for a drive after puking.
Doubledown 2447
AG
We would have won our game if it had happened.
Ags4DaWin
Bad take.

First game noone has won their position 100% because noone has a body of work that shows they can self correct and turn a bad start around.

Later in the season its harder to justify outline someone halfway through a bad outing because hopefully they have shown an ability to gut it out.
fieldtrailer
AG
Depends on how much NIL money he received.
PatAg
AG
Maroon Flash said:

With both Reed and Henderson having both played very well and more recently than Weigman, it would have been expected Weigman has a short leash.

Saban pulled Hurts in a CFP game and inserted Tua and won. Hopefully Elko will allow a true three man competition this weekend and If not, this is looking like a dismal season with tu beating us down at the end.
"very well" Im assuming you also thought Weigman played very well before this season?
Maroon Flash
AG
"end."very well" Im assuming you also thought Weigman played very well before this season?"

Last year Weigman played well enough to be considered an up and coming starter but very small body of work. That was a year ago before his injury.

No way does he deserve anything more than a short leash and it should have been yanked Saturday.

I have puked while on the field between plays and it just isn't that big a deal. In no way does it excuse poor performance.
Maroon Flash
ahpetty33
AG
Revisionist history to just declare that Reed and Henderson "played really well"… we can all say we were pleasantly surprised and that they overperformed as THIRD AND FOURTH string quarterbacks. That's different than saying we saw enough to expect one of them to lead us to a 9-win season in the SEC. Not saying that one of them couldn't have outplayed Conner in this specific game, but let's be realistic about what we actually watched them accomplish
Aggie Dad Sip
Y'all are absolutely vicious. Notre Dame is supposedly a damn good team with an elite defense. And CW was throwing up during the game, which tells me he was sick. I can't lay on the couch at 100% when I'm sick, much less play QB in D1 college football. What say you reserve judgement until you've played a few games.
Jason Ag
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Bad take.

First game noone has won their position 100% because noone has a body of work that shows they can self correct and turn a bad start around.

Later in the season its harder to justify outline someone halfway through a bad outing because hopefully they have shown an ability to gut it out.

In an established team sure, but my point was with the new coaching staff and scheme the other guys are really greener than CW. It would be a big ask from a coach in a tight game when CW had the most reps with No1s. I'd like to have seen at least one drive, when he had a good excuse to sit him throwing up. Surely JH had enough reps and grasp of playbook to run one drive.
Guy12
I remember when Lane Kiffin kept Matt Corral as starter after throwing six interceptions in a single game. He was then hailed by the media because the move gave Corral confidence as the starter.

This ain't as black-and-white a decision as some of you make it out to be.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
You have no idea what the other guys look like in practice.

It happens over and over and over again that the fans get impatient with QB play, and in almost every instance, when they finally get what they want and the second stringer comes in... they quickly see why the second stringer was the second stringer.

The Tua example is the exception.
Ags4DaWin
The point is that after 2 interceptions and most balls thrown into the dirt, even a strict running QB would have been an improvement. Don't we have one of those?

You can't do much worse than how Weigman did.

As was pointed out, his passing rating was WORSE than if he had spiked the ball every down.

At least if you put someone else in the defense has to readjust, not knowing all of the new QB's skill set. That takes time and maybe enough pressure so you can get a drive going and put some points on the board.
Z Team
AG
Should have been given a series to calm his butt down on the bench. We probably win if they do. Wouldn't have been worse than the 3&outs we saw from Happy feet.
MyComputerCareer
12/30, 100 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs is such a low bar, it's hard to do worse. I don't really care what Henderson or Reed looked like in practice. I care what they look like when it matters and we've seen them take real reps. OL was doing their job too, this wasn't Addazio hot garbage OL play.
Picadillo
Depends on how much NIL money he is being paid.
Definitely Not a Troll
Aggie Dad Sip said:

Y'all are absolutely vicious. Notre Dame is supposedly a damn good team with an elite defense. And CW was throwing up during the game, which tells me he was sick. I can't lay on the couch at 100% when I'm sick, much less play QB in D1 college football. What say you reserve judgement until you've played a few games.

I mean.. you kinda just proved our point. He was puking and playing poorly and should have been benched for another option in that moment.
aeon-ag
Maroon Flash said:

He's already screwed up too much!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Maroon Flash said:

Saban was down 13-0 and had a 5 star on the bench.

We weren't down by more than 1 score until 30 seconds left and we didn't have a 5 star on the bench.

Hope that helps.
whatthehey78
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Maroon Flash said:

We weren't down by more than 1 score until 30 seconds left and we didn't have a 5 star on the bench.

Hope that helps.
But we did have a QB who'd thrown 2 interceptions, thrown up, was completing < 50%, gone 3 and out on our end of the field and hadn't really put a scare in ND's players, staff or fan base. Would hope that helps.

This is D1 ball...not Jr Hi or HS or Jr College. Play like the big boys or go home.
AggieDruggist89
AG
After 2nd Int
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i dont agree with the crowd that u pull weigman because he wasn't playing well. he is your starter and it's the first game if the season. it is one thing if you declare early on your rotating qbs but to have a named starter and bench him in a tie game because he was off just isn't what typically happens. i guess you can agree or disagree with that logic but in practice it just doesn't play out that way. although he was off the whole game i expected him to make a play late because he is a good player. he didn't, but he deserves to start again. now if he plays subpar against mcneese then you open it up fully for a qb competition. but as a coach you have to show some loyalty to whomever is your guy and elko chose weigman
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I used to be a very patient fan. Not anymore. With as much money as these players are making, along with the free education and housing, I don't give a rats ass about these players or their feelings. If you are sucking ass, then get the **** out of the game. Weigman should have been pulled in the 3rd quarter. He is a 3rd year player and there was no excuse for how bad he was. It was obvious that Klein, by his playcalling, had no faith that Conner could complete a pass beyond 5 yards. If you don't have faith in your QB to complete a pass beyond 5 yards then it's time to pull him and give the next guy a shot. Even if it was just for that game. Weigman was not going to win that game with how awful he was. Elko and Klein are just as much at fault for failing to take him out when it was obvious that Conner wasn't going to win that game.
Agsrback12
Week one it's by halftime of a game like that. Maybe after the fist or second series of the 3rd Q.

All we needed was a spark. One that clearly wasn't coming from 15 that night.
Slicer97
AG
I don't give a damn about an individual player's feelings. Leaving Weigman in there cost us a win. If Henderson or Reed could've come in and approached mediocrity, we probably win that game.

That doesn't mean you don't give Weigman the start the following week, but leaving him in there cost us a shot at a win.
LuoJi
Whatever is worse than the worst performance in all of college football
TX_Aggie37
AG
More than just one bad game against a great defense. That's for sure.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
See SMU loss!
halfastros81
AG
It's situation dependent . At the end of the day tho winning games should be the coaching staff's focus and all other considerations must be benched . I felt like Elko could have sent someone else in vs ND if for no other reason than to change things up and let the starter watch what's going on without being in the firing line. In hindsight which is always easy of course that could have changed the game in our favor but I was thinking it during the game . The downside is you may create controversy within the team that could be counterproductive but managing that is part of the hc's
Job. I'm not really critical of Elko for not doing it because he knows the team dynamics better than anyone.
gwmAggie
Yo Dawg, coach axin me and i fitten my stepn dis gam.

Quarterback translation, " Coach asked me to improve my foot work, and I have."
Dad
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Maroon Flash said:

Hope that helps.
Stars don't mean *****

If they did then CW would not have had the worst possible outing of any QB in college football this season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.