Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Defenses forces a punt with 8:30 to go, tie game

3,487 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sgt. Schultz
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Immediately prior to this stop, the offense goes on a 10 play TD drive.
After the punt the following happens.

Offense goes 3 and out
Notre Dame scores TD on 4:30 drive
Offense goes 4 and out
Notre Dame kicks field goal

For all the negatives, this game was right there to win.
a 10 win season is still there, the playoffs are still there.
A lot will depend on how certain players improve as the season goes along, but thats always the story.
gigem1223
Yep. I watched it live in the stadium and then just finished the rewind. Weigman was terrible, period. He had guys open. He played like he didn't trust his OL nor did he trust his OC. Panicked and threw the ball too early way too many times. Play Reed! At the very least he can use his legs to extend plays and/ or pick up first downs.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Don't let a close game in the 4th quarter fool you, it was painfully obvious how much we were struggling on offense and we were not going to make the plays needed to win the game. We aren't winning ten games if we can't score more than one offensive touchdown the entire game
PatAg
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Don't let a close game in the 4th quarter fool you, it was painfully obvious how much we were struggling on offense and we were not going to make the plays needed to win the game. We aren't winning ten games if we can't score more than one offensive touchdown the entire game
Dont let the game being played close fool me? Are you dense?
Also we arent going to play Notre Dames defense 10 more times
PatAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Yep. I watched it live in the stadium and then just finished the rewind. Weigman was terrible, period. He had guys open. He played like he didn't trust his OL nor did he trust his OC. Panicked and threw the ball too early way too many times. Play Reed! At the very least he can use his legs to extend plays and/ or pick up first downs.
He basically had a good opening drive, and then the wheels fell off. Was bailing on the pocket, not sure he made a single throw with good footwork. Hopefully its just in his head
one safe place
PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

A lot will depend on how certain players improve as the season goes along, but thats always the story.
So it was an almost win which I think, but can't be certain, is a notch above a moral victory.

We won't win 10 games nor make the playoffs, but dream on!
HoustonAg2106
AG
PatAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

4 of our 6 losses last year were within one score meaning even closer than this loss to ND (all 6 of them were within two scores). Even the worse teams in the NFL usually have most of their losses by just one score. Losing close games doesn't make you a good team.

I'm being realistic, you are playing mental gymnastics and using moral victories to claim this team can accomplish something this year that they very clearly cannot
PatAg
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

PatAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

4 of our 6 losses last year were within one score meaning even closer than this loss to ND (all 6 of them were within two scores). Even the worse teams in the NFL usually have most of their losses by just one score. Losing close games doesn't make you a good team.

I'm being realistic, you are playing mental gymnastics and using moral victories to claim this team can accomplish something this year that they very clearly cannot
The game was close, I dont care about the score.
Im not doing any mental gymnastics or moral victories lol. We had some large negatives that have to be addressed, but also CAN be.
Im presenting an alternative and realistic way of viewing the game, because everyone is overdoing it with negatives.
Im seeing people say "notre dame kicked our ass", which is just hilariously wrong. That game was there to be won
Thunderstruck xx
PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

I think it's much more likely that this is a 6 win season, but keep up the sunshine pumping. Elko is like Fran and sleepy Sherman. It just ain't happening.
HoustonAg2106
AG
PatAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

PatAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

The game was close, I dont care about the score.
Im not doing any mental gymnastics or moral victories lol. We had some large negatives that have to be addressed, but also CAN be.
Im presenting an alternative and realistic way of viewing the game, because everyone is overdoing it with negatives.
Im seeing people say "notre dame kicked our ass", which is just hilariously wrong. That game was there to be won

Our defense will keep a lot of games close just like last year. But without a competent offense I have no faith that we will make the plays late in games when they are needed the most to win. Probably going to look a lot like last year with about 4 or 5 close losses
aglaes
AG
PatAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Nor Notre Dame's offense. We'll be playing some teams with really good offenses that know how to score and have QB's that can throw. If we can't get the offense going we'll have no chance to keep up, despite our defenses best efforts.
87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
gigem1223 said:

If nothing else, maybe Connor watching from the sidelines will help him relax and realize the O line is much better than last year, and that he DOES have more time to make an accurate non panicked throw.
TheCougarHunter
AG
For those saying the game was close…ND didn't exactly play a clean game. They could have and should have beaten us by 30. Our defense played gutsy and kept us in the game until they ran out of gas from being on the field so much.
HoustonAggie37713
PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

This post is why the Administration has no worries. Hope sells.
Agvet12
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

For those saying the game was close…ND didn't exactly play a clean game. They could have and should have beaten us by 30. Our defense played gutsy and kept us in the game until they ran out of gas from being on the field so much.

Agreed a better QB and they blow us out of the water unfortunately
cevans_40
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

1 game in and you already want administration changes. I always proposed game-to-game contracts as a joke but I think some of you idiots actually think that's a good idea.
The Porkchop Express
AG
A game is not "right there to win" when your offense can't even get the ball across midfield, much less score a touchdown. It was tied because Notre Dame's offense played almost as poorly as ours until one of their coaches said, "Wait a minute! What if we take the ball and somehow hand it to these guys who can ran fast and run through tackles? They used to call it a 'running game' back in the 1850s!

Notre Dame had 100 yards of penalties and was 2 of 12 on third down and still won. They played like garbage on offense for 3-1/2 quarters and were still 10 points better than A&M.
Kraft Punk
So you're saying we win by 3 scores w competent qb play

I agree, nd is avg at best
Kozmozag
CW at best will be a game manager type qb. He doesnt fit what the oc wants to do. He was out of shape, slower, everyone saw it including elmo and klien.throw in that he was afraid to stand in the pocket ans we got the disaster we all saw. Move on to someone who will mKe it happen.
Doc Hayworth
With a half a$S accurate QB that game would not have been close.
HoustonAggie37713
cevans_40 said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

1 game in and you already want administration changes. I always proposed game-to-game contracts as a joke but I think some of you idiots actually think that's a good idea.
Actually I'm 40 years in.
Bryanisbest
AG
This game is not on the O Line, the O receivers, the D or the coaches. This game is on one person. And it was not because of his feet.

We win that game if he plays normal .
Gunny456
AG
If the offense can't sustain drives and score the defense will eventually run out of gas and get fatigued. This is when injuries happen.
Then players will see this and start hitting the portal.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

" They could have and should have beaten us by 30. "

That's comical how wrong that is.
Heineken-Ashi
Agvet12 said:

TheCougarHunter said:

Agreed a better QB and they blow us out of the water unfortunately
Everyone wants to talk about our WR lack of separation. Boy, you're going to love watching their receivers if you think a better QB would have helped. Our DB's and defensive scheme left them nothing in the passing game.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
halfastros81
AG
Defensive showing was pretty good. We still need LB help imo.

Offensive showing wasn't good but the bright spot was OL play improved from last yr. qb play was uncharacteristically bad . WR and RB were ok but there is no sign from my perspective of a player that is a game changer . Moss is a pounder but he needs holes to run through as he''s not the type of back that can make his own plays. Didn't see enough of Bussey to know if he could be that type or not but I do know he may not be built to take down after down poundings . Receivers can't help if Qb can't place the ball in a place they can catch it.
greg.w.h
AG
cevans_40 said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

Play by play coaching contracts are best
-Da Zoo
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
We had guests over that evening. I didn't want to be rude so I had the game on but was not watching closely... until the very point OP starts this thread.

From that point on I watched, and man, it was hard to see how we were even in the game.

I texted my family when I finally sat down and said "we will win this"... because normally, in a close game like that in the 4th quarter, you can lean towards the home team. But if you only watched the last half of the 4th quarter (call me a bad Ag, but at my age, life is more than Aggie football)... ND was the far better team.

Here's hoping they are... and this is like the Florida game in 2012. We started that season 0-1, too.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

cevans_40 said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

Actually I'm 40 years in.
I'm 55 years in........ all mediocrity, just like the last 84 years (going on 85).

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Sgt. Schultz
AG
PatAg said:

Offense goes 3 and out
Offense goes 4 and out

You must have watched a different game than I. Our offense would have trouble scoring in boys town.
I know NOTHING!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.