Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Notre Dame Defense vs Opponent Total Offense

2,519 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Haha Losers!
redjalapeno-87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Notre Dame was ranked 5th in Total Defense Nationally in 2023. I wanted to take a look at the opponents the ND defense played, specifically the opponents Total Offense in 2023. Below is the ND 2023 schedule with the Total Offense ranking as per https://cfbstats.com/2023/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Note: ND played an HBCU team, which was not ranked in cfbstats.com

Team / Total Offense Ranking:
Navy - 126th [Win 42-3; Neutral Site]
Tennessee State (HBCU) Offense not ranked in cfbstats.com [Win 56-3; Home]
North Carolina State - 93rd [Win 45-24; Away]
Central Michigan - 98th [Win 41-17; Home]
Ohio State - 48th [Loss 14-17; Home]
Duke - 96th [Win 21-14; Away]
Louisville - 42nd [Loss 20-33; Away]
USC - 10th [Win 48-20; Home]
Pittsburgh - 115th [Win 58-7; Home]
Clemson - 52nd [Loss 23-31; Away]
Wake Forest - 104th [Win 45-7; Home]
Stanford - 91st [Win 56-23; Away]
Oregon State - 46th [Bowl Game Win 40-8; Neutral Site]
Shoefly!
AG
Yep, weak ass schedule. But top 5 "D", overrated!
USAF9705
You lost me at Ohio State ranked 48th.

If you want to see Defense, watch ND against USC with Caleb Williams & ND vs Ohio Stare.

They gave up 17 & 20. Both regular season lows for those two teams.

halfastros81
AG
We were 48th or 49th in total offense last yr. I'm kind of surprised it was that high. We need to ascend to a Top 25 offense and we'll have a good season.
redjalapeno-87
As an added bonus, I included the National Scoring Offense ranking that the 2023 Notre Dame defense faced per https://cfbstats.com/2023/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

Team - Scoring Offense ranking:
Navy - 125th [Win 42-3; Neutral Site]
Tennessee State (HBCU) Offense not ranked in cfbstats.com. [Win 56-3; Home]
North Carolina State - 72nd [Win 45-24; Away]
Central Michigan - 96th [Win 41-17; Home]
Ohio State - 45th [Loss 14-17; Home]
Duke - 68th [Win 21-14; Away]
Louisville - 44th [Loss 20-33; Away]
USC - 3rd [Win 48-20; Home]
Pittsburgh - 116th [Win 58-7; Home]
Clemson - 52nd [Loss 23-31; Away]
Wake Forest - 115th [Win 45-7; Home]
Stanford - 112th [Win 56-23; Away]
Oregon State - 35th [Bowl Game Win 40-8; Neutral Site]
halfastros81
AG
The stats are the stats. oh St didn't have a great offense last yr. They will be better this yr with Chip Kelly as OC.

Statistically Oh St and A& M's offenses were very similar last yr and we thought our offense was awful. It got us a coaching change . To be fair Oh St also changed their OC.

I had forgotten how good the Oh St offense was in the Cotton Bowl vs Mizzou. 3 pts and 200 yards total offense. Notre Dame didn't hold Oh St to their season low… Missouri did.

Southern Cal turned the ball over to Notre Dame 5x last yr. That's why they held them to a season low. You could certainly argue ND's defense caused those turnovers and you may be correct in saying so but nobody is going to score a lot of points with 5 turnovers.

Divining Rod
OP might have been interesting if you actually showed how they did against said offense, instead of just "win" or "loss"
redjalapeno-87
Divining Rod said:

OP might have been interesting if you actually showed how they did against said offense, instead of just "win" or "loss"
OK, I will add the score. Good call.
Aggie Dad 26
USAF9705 said:

If you want to see Defense, watch ND against USC with Caleb Williams & ND vs Ohio Stare.

Go away
Aggie Dad 26
halfastros81 said:

The stats are the stats. oh St didn't have a great offense last yr. They will be better this yr with Chip Kelly as OC.

Statistically Oh St and A& M's offenses were very similar last yr and we thought our offense was awful. It got us a coaching change

Southern Cal turned the ball over to Notre Dame 5x last yr. That's why they held them to a season low. You could certainly argue ND's defense caused those turnovers and you may be correct in saying so but nobody is going to score a lot of points with 5 turnovers.

Every team in every game turns the ball over 5 times
redjalapeno-87
Another interesting national ND Scoring Defense stat:

The 2023 Notre Dame defense on the road/neutral site allowed 19.4 points per game, vs 11.8 points per game allowed at home.

Versus their 4 ranked opponents, Notre Dame defense allowed 26.3 points per game, and 11.3 points per game for their 9 unranked opponents.

https://cfbstats.com/2023/team/513/scoring/defense/split.html
halfastros81
AG
You know what I meant , USC had 5 turnovers.
HTownMan87
Last years stats hardly matter, they have new guys or the same guys got better. We'll see how good they are this year very soon. They could be a top 5 Defense based on player ratings.
Aggie Dad 26
redjalapeno-87 said:

Another interesting national ND Scoring Defense stat:

The 2023 Notre Dame defense on the road/neutral site allowed 19.4 points per game, vs 11.8 points per game allowed at home.

Versus their 4 ranked opponents, Notre Dame defense allowed 26.3 points per game, and 11.3 points per game for their 9 unranked opponents.

https://cfbstats.com/2023/team/513/scoring/defense/split.html

All you need to know is that Notre Dame hasn't won a game on the road in front of 100k+ fans in a quarter of a million years
redjalapeno-87
Notre Dame is a senior heavy defense, with some 5th and 6th year seniors.
agie95
AG
HTownMan87 said:

Last years stats hardly matter, they have new guys or the same guys got better. We'll see how good they are this year very soon. They could be a top 5 Defense based on player ratings.
They do matter. Fans try to extrapolate the data and analyze it bc it is the best info you have before the season starts. A&M has new guys or the same guys got better as well. The point of the OP is that the "top-rated" defense from last year was based upon going against so-so offenses for the most part. They went against one top offense. One.
Aggie Dad 26
halfastros81 said:

I'm being facetious. It's very rare anyone turns the ball over that many times and what are the chances a team wins a game when they do?
redjalapeno-87
And USC had the 121st ranked Scoring Defense, one of the absolute worst defenses in the nation, allowing 34.4 points per game. And the 119nth Total Defense.
AG
Competition matters
redjalapeno-87
USAF9705 said:

What do you mean by "lost me"? Ohio State was ranked 48th in Total Offense at 407.9 YPG, and ranked 45th in Scoring Offense at 30.5 PPG. And Ohio State beat Notre Dame 17-14. Are you saying the stats are not correct for Ohio State?
redjalapeno-87
To summarize, out of the 13 teams Notre Dame faced in 2023, 8 were in a category of the worst Total Offensive teams in the nation, from one HBCU team, to 7 teams ranking from 91st through 126th in Total Offense.

Of the remaining 5 teams, Notre Dame faced one top 10 Total Offense at home (USC) that also has one of the worst Total Defenses (119th) in the nation.

Of the 4 remaining teams, Notre Dame was outscored by the 42nd , 48th, and 52nd Total Offense teams, and won against the 46th Total Offense (Oregon State) in a bowl game. Notre Dame was 3-2 versus ranked teams. The ranked teams at the time played were (6) Ohio State, (17) Duke, (25) Louisville, (10) USC, (21) Oregon State in Bowl Game. Clemson was not ranked.
CCAD AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

halfastros81 said:

I'm being facetious. It's very rare anyone turns the ball over that many times and what are the chances a team wins a game when they do?

With the rules changes and NCAA shortening games, imagine 5 turnovers on 7 possessions:

Quote:

Mostly, Norvell lamented having only seven possessions, which limited the team's opportunities.
Norvell calls loss to Georgia Tech 'sickening,' takes full blame

Every possession will become more critical this year, especially if you are going against a team that eats clock.
Haha Losers!
You were saying?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.