Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If Ags beat ND game1 what kind of year do we have?

9,549 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Lost
BoozerRed78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will beat Notre Dame, and go 12-0 in the regular season. Elko will be SEC Coach of the Year, and Weigman will be a Heisman finalist. You heard it here first.
SeaBrisket
AG
I expect our defense will be elite under Elko. The offense is such a big question mark but I look at it this way. It can't be any worse than what we had under Jimbo. Half a brains worth of adjustment in games last year and our record is drastically different. I think between Klein and Elko, we'll make the adjustments.
Give me the guy who shoots for excellence and fails over the guy who shoots for mediocrity and succeeds.
Sq 17
StinkyPinky said:

APHIS AG said:

Z Team said:

How does the outcome of game 1 impact your expectations for the rest of the season?
Currently, we are an after thought with all the glamour and publicity given to the sips.

Beat ND and Florida and everything changes.
We beat ND, then all eyes on us at week#1. That's how we start to get into the glamour and publicity conversation. If we do, I can see us using it as some serious leverage. But with big highs there are big lows. Long season.

Getting buzz is less important because 12 teams make tha playoffs
ND will likely be in the discussion of the top 12 if we have win over them that helps the Ags
Same with tu and the corn dogs

VP at Pierce and Pierce
SeaBrisket said:

I expect our defense will be elite under Elko. The offense is such a big question mark but I look at it this way. It can't be any worse than what we had under Jimbo. Half a brains worth of adjustment in games last year and our record is drastically different. I think between Klein and Elko, we'll make the adjustments.

This is an important piece to where we are as a program. We were a couple of plays/decisions/adjustments from back to back 10 win seasons. The previous coach just wouldn't or couldn't do it. That's why I am so bullish on this season.
WC94
AG
How did Missouri go from a .500 team the last decade to perennial favorite in 1 year?

Z Team
AG
I think a win over ND will signify that Elko rebuild is way ahead of schedule and that we could be elite this year. ND is in the Championship conversation. Beating them puts us in it as well.
Tergdor
AG
WC94 said:

How did Missouri go from a .500 team the last decade to perennial favorite in 1 year?

Covid years, a weak SEC East, and NIL for guys that won't be super high draft picks. It's easy to build a program when everyone there is ok with staying for 5-6 years.

This is probably their last year of favoritism. Their defense is gone and the offense will be gone after this year, and the new SEC schedule will almost certainly put them back to mid-major status.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
WC94 said:

Clearly, they didn't check their program history.

I think last season opponents didn't take them as seriously as they would have had that M on their helmets belonged to, say, Michigan (not that Michigan has an M on their helmets). They were good to great last season, but they won't get the same level of attention this season from their opponents.
jess09
I truly believe our strength and conditioning coach will tremendously help us overcome the major injuries we've had in the past.
greg.w.h
AG
WC94 said:

They executed…
Aggie Dad 26
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Throw history out in today's game with NIL and the portal and with programs ability to actually put money to work. If a roster of this talent and experience cant win 9 games its because of injury or in game coaching that is so inept it likely changes for 2025.

It would be in game coaching. Far too much talent. We have 3 QBs that can make plays
AggieZUUL
AG
If we beat ND and then FL at Gainesville, we should be cruising into the playoffs. Texas gets blown out at Kyle.
zb008
Notre Dame has proven time and time again that they can't compete with the physicality and speed of SEC teams. Playing them at Kyle should be a win for the good guys.
AggieNattie
Part of me thinks we beat ND late in the game and then lose in the Swamp. First road game for new HC is always tough.
Aggie Dad Sip
In 2016, unranked Texas played #10 Notre Dame at home the first game of the season. Texas won in OT 50-47 on national tv. Brent Musburger proclaimed "Texas is BACK folks!" My buddy who is a huge Irish fan told me, "Texas is good. That's probably the only game Notre Dame loses all year."

After all was said and done, Notre Dame finished 4-8 and Texas finished 5-7. The moral of the story? Preseason polls don't mean diddly squat and the first game of the year should always be a cupcake.

Carry on.
AggieDad27
I'm taking my family to this game and I'm pretty excited! It could set the tone for Elko's career.
GW Ag
Z Team said:

How does the outcome of game 1 impact your expectations for the rest of the season?
10 win season
Z Team
AG
AggieDad27 said:

I'm taking my family to this game and I'm pretty excited! It could set the tone for Elko's career.

I think it could absolutely help kick recruiting into a higher gear and put us on course for the playoffs in year one. If that happens Elko will have set an incredible trajectory for his career here.
LB12Diamond
AG
Aggie Dad Sip said:

In 2016, unranked Texas played #10 Notre Dame at home the first game of the season. Texas won in OT 50-47 on national tv. Brent Musburger proclaimed "Texas is BACK folks!" My buddy who is a huge Irish fan told me, "Texas is good. That's probably the only game Notre Dame loses all year."

After all was said and done, Notre Dame finished 4-8 and Texas finished 5-7. The moral of the story? Preseason polls don't mean diddly squat and the first game of the year should always be a cupcake.

Carry on.

Holy *****

A sip making sense.

I'm kidding

The sips sucking after beating a crappy ND team is pretty much nothing like us beating a ND team that most likely will not lose another game.
Fishwrangler11
AG
You're wrong. It was Tess.

Either way, I think this is an 8-4 team (with a couple of really stupid losses in there) but could see the team going 9-3 with a win over those fighting gingers. Point is, they're going to have at least 2 dumb losses in there; otherwise, I think we'd be a 10-2 team with a ND win.

Good talent, but it also takes experience to win.
halfastros81
AG
Imo, If we hold our own vs Notre Dame upfront on offense it's going to be a good year . We don't even have to win , just look competent and competitive. If we win it could propel us to a very good to great season.
RAB83
AG
Lotta talk about history. It matters for the same reason a win over the Irish matters. It's about trajectory.

Trajectory for a program can change. A lot of people have cited the baseball team as an example of how trajectory can change.

This is going back in time, but I'm old. I grew up in Tallahassee. I remember sitting in the beach house of a big FSU booster with my dad. The booster was complaining about their new coaching hire. The Seminoles had just fired their coach who went 4-18 over two seasons. The guy before him wasn't much better.

The booster said a bunch of them wanted Bill Peterson, who was the most successful coach in school history. This is the same Bill Peterson who coached the Oilers to a 1-18 record. Instead, they hired some guy from West Effing Virginia, named Bobby Bowden and that changed everything.

The Florida Gators in those days were similar to A&M. They would win 7 to 9 games and be in upper middle of the SEC. Then, they hired a coach from Duke who went 5-6, 7-3-1, and 8-4. Steve Spurrier changed everything.

New coach. New culture. New attitude.

Will that be Elko? We will see. The history of a coach achieving some success at Duke then becoming wildly successful at a school with more resources might repeat. Again, we will see.

So what happens when we beat ND? The trajectory changes. 9-3 is the floor. 10-2 is more likely. 11-1 or 12-0 become realistic.

Gig 'Em and BTHO Everyone!
Divining Rod
well_endowed_ag said:

gkaggie08 said:

Well endowed my ass, take your small peen talk somewhere else.

The OP asked what would expectations be if we win game 1. You have to come in and spew a bunch of BAS all over the board instead of responding to the OP's question.

To answer the OP, if we beat ND, especially if we drum them, which I think we have a chance to do, we are probably looking at a 10-2 or 11-1 season. I would be disappointed in 9-3 if we win game 1
I answered his question. 8-4.

So then you think we're going 7-5. i guess you're THAT GUY.
greg.w.h
AG
Predicting success or failure is just guessing. We sure generate a lot of energy guessing.
In4TheHuddle
AG
I have a feeling we curbstomp ND only to realize later in the season that ND is a really really bad Football team this year.
lagoag

If we beat Notre Dame it likely means our offense and OL played very well against an elite defense. In turn we should be able to replicate that throughout the season to go 10-2 at least.
This x 1000
Aginnebraska
AG
APHIS AG said:

Z Team said:

Currently, we are an after thought with all the glamour and publicity given to the sips.

Beat ND and Florida and everything changes.
I concur. ND and Florida are toss-ups. If we win the games we are supposed to win AND take a couple of toss up games (like ND and Florida)...we get to 10 wins.

In seasons past though, we would inexplicably drop a couple of what should be 'wins' to Mississippi teams. And then we would be forced to W a talent stacked LSU or Alabama game to keep hopes of a 10 win season. Win a couple of toss ups...and take care of business against the average SEC teams and everything falls in place.
Shoefly!
AG
lagoag said:

If we beat Notre Dame it likely means our offense and OL played very well against an elite defense. In turn we should be able to replicate that throughout the season to go 10-2 at least.
This x 1000

Have you seen Irish schedule, we are probably the toughest game. When we win and Irish go 10-2 they'll still make playoffs due to playing us early in season. If we were to lose to Irish and go 10-2 they'll use Irish loss as reason to bump us.
LB12Diamond
AG
10-2 with a loss to ND means we were 7-1 in the SEC. Thus, most likely in the SEC champ game. Thus, in the playoff.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
After we dominate a pretty good ND team 38-7, we will be a top 10 team with much higher expectations. Gameday and a prime time ABC appearance will have folks wondering if we are really gonna contend for a playoff spot. The road game at Florida will really be more important as we try to break a road losing streak and win at a tough venue.

I think Mike Elko could be SEC Coach of the Year with a much more productive game plan compared to Jimbo's 5 play laminated sheet and our 1 and 2 man defensive lines run last year. The talent is there if we can avoid injuries and get better coaching. I trust Mr Klein.

tu and ou will struggle more than expected and neither will be a factor in the league race. Bama, LSU, Georgia and our Aggies will be the most likely SEC Title game participants.
LatinAggie1997
AG
On the field -
some of our guys will gain confidence when they might have had doubts. This team woth cohesion and confidence can win 9+ games.

Perception -
1a. We enter the limelight with new expectations as ND is a top 10 team.
1b. We do not get credit because ND must have been overrated.
1c. If ND goes on to win 9+ games week one becomes a huge playoff talking point.

If we beat ND by 9+ points I think we can win 10+ games.
If we beat ND by less than 7 points I think we can win 8+ games.
If we lose we will be lucky to win 8 games.
Conchovalleyag
AG
Z Team said:

Too scared from the Sumlin years to react to an early year "big win"…but I will say it'll probably mean our oline is better than I thought it'd be
SECTAMU#1
This is the best Head Coach in football that we have had in quite a while. However, with a new system and new coaches, I am not sure how this transition year will go. The first game is anybody's guess, but I think an 8-4 record looks about right for this first season for Elko, regardless if we win against ND.
monarch
S
Lose to Fexas? Might as well shut the season down and go watch Sam.
Peace for Ukraine!
The Lost
SECTAMU#1 said:

This is the best Head Coach in football that we have had in quite a while. However, with a new system and new coaches, I am not sure how this transition year will go. The first game is anybody's guess, but I think an 8-4 record looks about right for this first season for Elko, regardless if we win against ND.
May be a little early to say he's the best coach, all others won 10 before taking over, he hasn't, and the year he won 9 only 3 had a winning record…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.