Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field ranked 13th best stadium by ESPN panel

8,550 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Aggie Dad 26
TheWoodlandsTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So we asked 14 of our college football writers to rank the best stadiums in the sport. No parameters, no criteria. Writers were asked to submit their top 20 stadiums in order. We then awarded points: 20 for first-place votes, 19 for second and all the way down to 1 point for a stadium voted No. 20.

In all, 42 stadiums received at least one vote, allowing us to build a Top 25 (this is college football, after all) for fans to form a travel bucket list or just venues to try out in EA Sports College Football 25.

13. Kyle Field, Texas A&M Aggies, est. 1927

It doesn't take long to notice things are different at Kyle Field. Instead of cheerleaders, there are Yell Leaders who organize coordinated yells for fans, including the largest student section in America at more than 36,000 strong. The weekend begins with Midnight Yell on Friday nights, where the Aggies practice said yells in Kyle with thousands of their friends.

True to A&M's origins as a military school, the Aggies' Corps of Cadets is still a huge part of game day, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is a large, military-style outfit that puts on intricate halftime shows. It all adds up to one of the most unique game-day experiences in the country, with the largest stadium in the SEC (102,733) providing a raucous, memorable setting on Saturdays.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40559641/top-25-college-football-stadiums-lsu-rose-bowl-michigan

Top 5 according to ESPN:

1. Tiger Stadium

2. Rose Bowl

3. Michigan Stadium

4. Notre Dame Stadium

5. Beaver Stadium

They have DKR at 25
Ag Tag
Notre Dame's stadium is ranked too high. I've been to games there.
AggieOne
AG
Beaver Stadium,
Bill Superman
AG
Couldn't even give us 12.
Ag Tag
I've been to games at a few of these stadiums and I'd say that Alabama's stadium is better than LSU's and the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying Bama is tops, but I am saying that it beats LSU and the Rose bowl, which shouldn't be the top two. In fact, Kyle is above all three of these.
northeastag
AG
AggieOne said:

Beaver Stadium,
Funny name, I know. But nighttime games there really are tremendous.
Ag Tag
Bill Superman said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous.
Aggie Dad 26
Ag Tag said:

Notre Dame's stadium is ranked too high. I've been to games there.

I've also been and thoroughly enjoyed it. They took the wood from their old seating and used it to frame the bathroom mirrors. They also used it for table top areas around the concourse. It's a very cool stadium and feels like a time capsule. If you want the old school football feel, go to a ND game

I can't wait to go back
greg.w.h
AG
Fake objective rankings are fake…
The Marksman
AG
Horrendous rankings that show just how much those reporters know about college football, but what else would you expect from ESiPN
McInnis80
The Rose Bowl looks magical on TV on New Year's Day as the sun sets over the San Gabriel Mountains, but the Rose Bowl is not fan friendly. Parking is a mess, Concessions make most high schools looks good, and the restrooms make the old Wrigley Field restrooms look fancy. And then there is the matter of ingress and egress into the stadium. Nothing like waiting 5 minutes in the tunnel to be allowed to entered the stadium, and then a crowed walk up a narrow walkway to a crowed seat. Sight lines are OK, but leaving in even worse. You will wait at least 10 minutes to even get to the tunnel, and then you get the nightmare of post game traffic in Pasadena.

As we know, Pasadena is the home of Cal Tech, not UCLA, so the Pasadena PD could care less about making traffic easy to exit the Rose Bowl. UCLA is much closer to SoFi, but they are stuck in the Rose Bowl for long time. Due to real estate cost in Westwood, the Bruins will never be able to build a stadium.
greg.w.h
AG
McInnis80 said:

The Rose Bowl looks magical on TV on New Year's Day as the sun sets over the San Gabriel Mountains, but the Rose Bowl is not fan friendly. Parking is a mess, Concessions make most high schools looks good, and the restrooms make the old Wrigley Field restrooms look fancy. And then there is the matter of ingress and egress into the stadium. Nothing like waiting 5 minutes in the tunnel to be allowed to entered the stadium, and then a crowed walk up a narrow walkway to a crowed seat. Sight lines are OK, but leaving in even worse. You will wait at least 10 minutes to even get to the tunnel, and then you get the nightmare of post game traffic in Pasadena.

As we know, Pasadena is the home of Cal Tech, not UCLA, so the Pasadena PD could care less about making traffic easy to exit the Rose Bowl. UCLA is much closer to SoFi, but they are stuck in the Rose Bowl for long time. Due to real estate cost in Westwood, the Bruins will never be able to build a stadium.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Rose_Bowl_Hoax
twk
AG
Quote:

No parameters, no criteria.
That's certainly obvious when you read the list.

Save yourself the effort and don't bother. That's 15 minutes of my life I will never get back.
AggieZUUL
AG
yeah.... having zero criteria... the rankings should be for something specific like

1) Best gameday atmosphere
2) Best location
3) Best sports history
4) Best traditions
5) Best tailgating
6) Most intimidating / loudest

I visited Neyland last year and their stadium should be condemned. Worst concourse in America. No way their stadium is #10
dixichkn
AG
AggieZUUL said:

yeah.... having zero criteria... the rankings should be for something specific like

1) Best gameday atmosphere
2) Best location
3) Best sports history
4) Best traditions
5) Best tailgating
6) Most intimidating / loudest

I visited Neyland last year and their stadium should be condemned. Worst concourse in America. No way their stadium is #10
True, that stadium is a dump. Reminded me very much of a larger Floyd Casey Stadium which is about as nice as I can be. But dude, their fans brought it. Louder than any crowd I heard at Kyle last year definitely. We've gotten soft here. This isn't the old Wrecking Crew crowd from back in the day.
rootube
AG
McInnis80 said:

This is all true and you add the fact that it's mostly empty for UCLA games means it's WAY too high on any list.

Honestly any stadium not on a college campus does not belong in the top 50.
The Lost
The Marksman said:

Horrendous rankings that show just how much those reporters know about college football, but what else would you expect from ESiPN
My favorite part is a stadium closed since 2020 (aloha stadium) received votes
NoahAg
Old Kyle > new Kyle
bberry72
AG
IMO, The rose bowl is 50 - 70 years out of date. The sight angles really limit the fan view of the game. Unfortunately, correcting the long sight lines would probably require a large expender of can which I suspect is not available. Would only watch on TV.
Al Bula
AG
Only bot accounts with no ag tag would post this.
Meximan
Quote:

Kyle Field ranked 13th best stadium by ESPN panel

Aggie Dad 26
NoahAg said:

Old Kyle > new Kyle

You've lost your damn mind
WC94
AG
Stanford? Can anyone confirm?
Muy
AG
I've been to a USC vs UCLA game at the Rose Bowl and aside from the nostalgia of the venue, it is an old run down stadium with a half-ass Cali crowd.
BQCadet
AG
I'm gonna say it. LSU's stadium is HILARIOUSLY overrated. Was extremely underwhelmed. And yes, I went at night.
NoahAg
Aggie Dad 26 said:

NoahAg said:

Old Kyle > new Kyle

The atmosphere is just not the same. Layout is very convoluted. Cellphones and alcohol are also to blame.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The Rose Bowl is an absolute dump and the only "big" game ever played there is the Rose Bowl game.

What BS criteria did they use to rank it #2?
dixichkn
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

The Rose Bowl is an absolute dump and the only "big" game ever played there is the Rose Bowl game.

What BS criteria did they use to rank it #2?
Same criteria they use to rank sip as a top 3 team

Nostalgia from 50-100 years ago
Cliff.Booth
I don't think whoever made this has been to half the stadiums they included.
AgMD90
AG
Went to the Bama - Texas game at the Rose Bowl. Not a bad seat in the house. Spectacular setting. Been to the Shoe, Kyle, Texas, Bama, Auburn, Oxford, and saw Touchdown Jesus, etc. Nothing like the Rose Bowl. Gonna hit the big house this Fall. We'll see….
Aggie Dad 26
NoahAg said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

NoahAg said:

Old Kyle > new Kyle

The atmosphere is just not the same. Layout is very convoluted. Cellphones and alcohol are also to blame.

For me...

NKF bathrooms > OKF
NKF seating > OKF
NKF concessions OKF

Hall of Champions, exterior, many things.

New Kyle Field is the tits
The Agly Duckling
Bill Superman said:

S'okay. 13 is my lucky number.
The Lost
Muy said:

I've been to a USC vs UCLA game at the Rose Bowl and aside from the nostalgia of the venue, it is an old run down stadium with a half-ass Cali crowd.

Yeah but you haven't been paid to sit in the press box and have other press members jerk you off about how cool it is. These people get a catered spread and private bathrooms, not hot dogs and a trough
GoAgs92
AG
the fact that DKR is even on the list makes it moot.

what a **** box.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
NoahAg said:

Old Kyle > new Kyle
absolutely. new kyle is a sterile/generic/cookie cutter atmosphere you can find anywhere.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.