Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting Take on A&M and SEC

11,570 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by dixichkn
OBJTEX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think this is a bad take at all.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/07/02/what-did-texas-a-m-do-with-its-decade-plus-head-start-in-the-sec?ref=article_preview_title

JohnLA762
AG
Oh look, an article trying to convince people TESSUS is better than A&M…

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
we absolutely wasted it and couldnt capitalize. Standing there and taking it when the conference stabbed us in the back sucks too.
OBJTEX
JohnLA762 said:

It literally says the opposite in many places.
Humorous Username
AG
A history lesson for some of the less-informed Aggies on why texas deserves to be doubted at all times.

Quote:

R. Bowen Loftin became Texas A&M's interim president in 2009 and visited Dallas that year for the Big 12's conference board. He told ESPN's Wilson that was the first moment he realized who the boss was in their league.

"It was pretty clear how things worked," Loftin said. "One school was pretty much in charge of how the conference was going to go. [Then-Big 12 commissioner Dan] Beebe was clearly beholden to that school. That gave me pause."
Humorous Username
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Did you read the article?

I thought this was a good point for us.

Quote:

The legacy of Texas A&M's first 12 years in the SEC alone won't be fully known until seeing how it fares in the conference the next 12 years with Texas. But Texas A&M bet on itself and the SEC as opposed to fighting an uphill battle toward independence in the Big 12. In the end, the Aggies proved to be on the right side of history.

"The greatest accomplishment that Texas A&M has achieved is that they, in essence, forced Texas to follow them into the SEC," ESPN commentator Paul Finebaum said. "And that's as convoluted as anything you've ever heard, but that's really why Texas decided to make that move, because they saw how much money A&M was making. They saw, recruiting-wise, they were doing so much better."

So, now back to that famous quote from Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds. The one about not keeping up with the Joneses because Texas is the Joneses.

For once, the Joneses had to keep up with Texas A&M.
greg.w.h
AG
JohnLA762 said:

"For once, the Joneses had to keep up with Texas A&M"
Bill Superman
AG
This is our chance to take the reins for the foreseeable future. Sip no longer holds the keys and now is our time to ensure they never do.
SonOf_an_Ag
AG
The other teams in the big 12 just couldn't keep up with the spending.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Carter Yates wrote a good article about Texas A&M's 12-year head start in the SEC.
merch
Couldn't have been better? For sure.

But wasted it? A bit unlucky for sure. Arguably a hurricane and Covid stopped us from being in the playoffs twice in toughest division in college football.

And at a time when Bama and LSU were fielding some of the better teams sport has seen and you had to play them both every year! [Texas will enter the league not having to play either team, joke.]
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

we absolutely wasted it and couldnt capitalize. Standing there and taking it when the conference stabbed us in the back sucks too.

Dead on.

We just can't ever close the deal.

And we could have forever maintained an advantage by using our veto vote to not allow tu into the conference, but no. What do we do immediately after finding out that the conference and tu were negotiating in bad faith behind our backs? We kick rocks and say, "golly!", and go ahead and vote them in.

Our admin is such a bunch of nutless pansies.

Do you think tu would have given us their deciding vote if the shoe was on the other foot?
OBJTEX
4 said:

Dead on.

And we could have forever maintained an advantage by using our veto vote to not allow tu into the conference, but no. What do we do immediately after finding out that the conference and tu were negotiating in bad faith behind our backs? We kick rocks and say, "golly!", and go ahead and vote them in.

Do you think tu would have given us their deciding vote if the shoe was on the other foot?

The vote would not have blocked them coming but we showed ourselves to be eunuchs by voting yes.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
What tu does has little to no impact on us. This isnt 2011 and prior. We stand on our own now, for better or worse. We are very organized, well funded, have a clear direction, and are not behind in terms of money or facilities. None of that was true during our time previously. We are a completely different program now. Heck we are now a nationally known program in the upper echelon. Have we got the results we want on the field? For the most part, no but we havent been a failure either. We are in a great position and we stand on our own two feet for the first time ever.
OBJTEX
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

What tu does has little to no impact on us. This isnt 2011 and prior. We stand on our own now, for better or worse. We are very organized, well funded, have a clear direction, and are not behind in terms of money or facilities. None of that was true during our time previously. We are a completely different program now. Heck we are now a nationally known program in the upper echelon. Have we got the results we want on the field? For the most part, no but we havent been a failure either. We are in a great position and we stand on our own two feet for the first time ever.

Nationally known? Hmmm. I guess.
AG
OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

The vote would not have blocked them coming but we showed ourselves to be eunuchs by voting yes.

Unless I'm mistaken, the vote has to be unanimous among SEC members in order to offer membership to another school, in which case it would have blocked them.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point.
OBJTEX
4 said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

Unless I'm mistaken, the vote has to be unanimous among SEC members in order to offer membership to another school, in which case it would have blocked them.

Also happy to be proven wrong but it took 75% as i recall. Sankey pressured us to make it unanimous.

Tex117
AG
That's not an interesting take.

That's just about THE only take.

LincolnBorglum79
AG
I saw an analysis somewhere that has tu doing ok in football, maybe 9-3 which I think is optimistic. The same article said tu would not be a factor in basketball or baseball since they are not equipped for the Talent and great coaching in the SEC.

I think they could be around .500 in football and much worse in basketball and baseball. When do they start looking around again.
Humorous Username
AG
OBJTEX said:

4 said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

Also happy to be proven wrong but it took 75% as i recall. Sankey pressured us to make it unanimous.

You are correct. We would have needed three other schools to vote "no" with us.

In the end, I believe our leadership knew that texas was going to get in, and decided to trade a "yes" vote for the game to be played at Kyle instead of in Austin.
rootube
AG
Here's another way to look at it. What did horn do in the B12 when Nebraska, Colorado Missouri and A&M left? To read these articles you would assume they dominated but in reality they got their tails kicked in by the likes of OU and TCU for a decade.
AG
Humorous Username said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

In the end, I believe our leadership knew that texas was going to get in, and decided to trade a "yes" vote for the game to be played at Kyle instead of in Austin.

Well hell, if that's how it was presented to us AFTER doing the deal behind our backs, I'm not sure why we're still in the conference??!

Waiting for a reach around??
Ag Tag
Humorous Username said:

In the future, there will be a dozen schools that wish they had voted "no."
Humorous Username
AG
Ag Tag said:

Humorous Username said:

In the future, there will be a dozen schools that wish they had voted "no."

Go take a look at r/cfb and r/collegebaseball. Plenty of other SEC fans in some threads asking if texas is always this annoying and if they can be sent back to the Big 12.
AGinHI
AG
Y'all are having a conversation with a pathetic adult that like to pretend to be an Aggie.
rab79
AG
OBJTEX said:

4 said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

Didn't the tsip gov have a hand in the unanimous vote as well or was that just or rumor?
Admiral Nelson
4 said:

OBJTEX said:

4 said:

Dead on.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point
SEC Bylaw 3.1.2, authorizes the Chief Executive Officers of the Conference to extend invitations for membership if at least three-fourths of its 14 member institutions vote to approve.

One vote would not have blocked adding Texas or OU. A&M was going to vote "No" just to show its displeasure, but traded a "Yes" to the Commissioner for a promise the first Texas vs A&M game would be at Kyle Field.
EastSideAg2002
Just need to be sure we payback FL and USCe when those ACC schools come a knockin
BrotherChad2

We don't have to just take it. There's another major conference out there that's arguably a better deal for us.
merch
And that would be?

I've heard people chat about Big 10 but that likely isn't better for ATM financially. Not better football. Not better baseball. Not better basketball. Not better geographically. I guess better in that we don't have to deal with Austin.

Is there another option?
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I'm all about cutting off my nose to spite my face with this one. I dont want to be in a conference with that cancer. Big10 sounds fine.
TMartin

Until A&M wins a championship in a major men's sport it's all lip service and status quo.
aglaes
AG
rootube said:

Here's another way to look at it. What did horn do in the B12 when Nebraska, Colorado Missouri and A&M left? To read these articles you would assume they dominated but in reality they got their tails kicked in by the likes of OU and TCU for a decade.
Actually I didn't get that from the article. It said 2012-2022 may go down as the worst decade in tu football ever.
aglaes
AG
merch said:

And that would be?

I've heard people chat about Big 10 but that likely isn't better for ATM financially. Not better football. Not better baseball. Not better basketball. Not better geographically. I guess better in that we don't have to deal with Austin.

Is there another option?
I think the closest Big 10 school is Nebraska, 805 miles from CS

With the exception of Nebraska and maybe Illinois, I think every SEC school is closer to CS than the rest of the Big 10 schools. The now defunct SEC West are all much closer.

I for one really like being part of the SEC and the SEC culture. The Big 10 doesn't excite me at all..
The Chicken Ranch
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

Just need to be sure we payback FL and USCe when those ACC schools come a knockin

They would have voted yes to add tu and OU because they don't give a crap about us. We would have been the lone No vote, looking like a bucket of sour apples.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.