Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Supreme Chancellor Sharp retiring

9,274 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by OKC~Ag
levypantsEOY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TyperWoods said:

Do this mean Levy is out? Please please please

I'm not going anywhere.
deer corn
The Zookeeper said:

deer corn said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

I think he's been a net positive for A&M.

This is like saying, "I don't think Hitler liked Jews."
Uhhhm ....

Wouldn't it be the polar opposite of saying that?

Yes. I read this wrong.
Ag Tag
deer corn said:

The Zookeeper said:

deer corn said:

I think he's been a net positive for A&M.

This is like saying, "I don't think Hitler liked Jews."
Uhhhm ....

Wouldn't it be the polar opposite of saying that?

Yes. I read this wrong.
I think that Hitler and the Jewish folks had a bit of a problem with one another.
Divining Rod
wow, what a narcissist. He assured himself an entire one-year celebration period from Aggieland.
Divining Rod
Hellbent said:

By far the best Chancellor in the history of Texas A&M

James Earl Rudder says hello....
Hellbent
AG
Wow! That's great, thanks! I haven't spoken to Earl since I was at A&M. I thought he was dead.
Please tell him I said Howdy!
one safe place
Why wait a year? Go ahead and go now.
Haricougar
AG
murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

I don't disagree about growing the university to new heights, but the growth should have been about half as fast as they pushed it.
yeah, definition of success will vary from person to person. I kindof wish A&M was still a relatively small school with legacy admission and you could still back your truck up to northgate.
Well you can thank the state legislature for it not being like the good old days. They ruined it when they passed the top 10% law for admissions to state universities.

You realize that was in response to a lawsuit right?
Romans 12:9-11
McInnis80
TyperWoods said:

Do this mean Levy is out? Please please please
Levy will pick the replacement. That was in the last contract extension they signed.
McInnis80
I think John Sharp is the last chancellor or president to step down on his own accord since Robert Gates.
OBJTEX
Long term success in any large organization is 100% a result of leadership. When the Austinites were on the stuggle bus in most sports that matter it was due to in-fighting at BOR level who pressured their strong President to resign. Their AD was old anyway so he left. They had a couple of ding dong presidents and ding dong ADs. Guess what, they sucked on the fields/courts that mattered the most.

Chancellor Dull has had us drifting through multiple presidents; ding dong ADs; etc. And guess where we are?

Rid ourselves of Dull and make a good hire who will put smart people in place and get out of the way. I think we have a good President finally so the next guy/gal will have a leg up. Not sure on AD to be honest but we will see.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
If youre coming up with a comparison for an A&M chancellor and your first idea is "well, Hitler...", just start over.
NyAggie
AG
murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

I don't disagree about growing the university to new heights, but the growth should have been about half as fast as they pushed it.
yeah, definition of success will vary from person to person. I kindof wish A&M was still a relatively small school with legacy admission and you could still back your truck up to northgate.
Well you can thank the state legislature for it not being like the good old days. They ruined it when they passed the top 10% law for admissions to state universities.

Government ruins everything
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
If i said it once I said it a hundred times. Government ruined the public land grant university.
OBJTEX
NyAggie said:

murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

How did the other State U in Austin finagle a harder admission standard? They get away with top 6% but we have top 10% plus the Blinn program?

BTW, I have no issue with Blinn but coupled with top 10 in a growing state along with our ever expanding enrollment...we have become a diploma mill. I am under the impression this was a conscience effort led by Chancellor Dull.

There are advantages to his strategy. Soon, there will be more Aggies than Shorthorns and eventually we will revise the PUC split. MAybe it is worth it. They are chasing the "more prestigious" school/degree brand. We are chasing "We are the biggest/baddest" brand.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
A&M is the second largest University in the country. Its not because of top 10%. The doors were thrown open, alot of degree programs that arent necessary, and credential inflation is now a human right.
Nate09
AG
OBJTEX said:

NyAggie said:

murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

How did the other State U in Austin finagle a harder admission standard? They get away with top 6% but we have top 10% plus the Blinn program?

BTW, I have no issue with Blinn but coupled with top 10 in a growing state along with our ever expanding enrollment...we have become a diploma mill. I am under the impression this was a conscience effort led by Chancellor Dull.

There are advantages to his strategy. Soon, there will be more Aggies than Shorthorns and eventually we will revise the PUC split. MAybe it is worth it. They are chasing the "more prestigious" school/degree brand. We are chasing "We are the biggest/baddest" brand.
The written rule for UT isn't actually based on top 6%. It's still top 10%, but with the caveat that no more than 75% of their incoming class shall be auto-admitted via top 10%. They receive way more applications from top 10% students than they have space for, thus they can raise their standard until they hit that 75% auto-admit rate. The past few years this has been top 6%.

As I posted earlier on thread, A&M's auto-admits make up 31% of the freshman class. So 2/3 of our freshman are outside of top 10%. The top 10% rule is not our problem, it's our leadership thinking that having the largest enrollment is some kind of point of pride.
OBJTEX
Nate09 said:

OBJTEX said:

NyAggie said:

murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

The written rule for UT isn't actually based on top 6%. It's still top 10%, but with the caveat that no more than 75% of their incoming class shall be auto-admitted via top 10%. They receive way more applications from top 10% students than they have space for, thus they can raise their standard until they hit that 75% auto-admit rate. The past few years this has been top 6%.

As I posted earlier on thread, A&M's auto-admits make up 31% of the freshman class. So 2/3 of our freshman are outside of top 10%. The top 10% rule is not our problem, it's our leadership thinking that having the largest enrollment is some kind of point of pride.

Well put. I think the strategy has some upside when we outnumber them. But it has cheapened the value of the degree.
Nate09
AG
I agree, there are some benefits to it - mostly $$$ related.
But people forget that A&M was ranked above UT by US News only 25 years ago!! Since then, we've fallen and they've risen. Enrollment has a lot to do with that.

The A&M System can educate a growing Texas population without breaking the flagship. Send more students to the rest of the system and build more campuses as required.
greg.w.h
AG
Nate09 said:

I agree, there are some benefits to it - mostly $$$ related.
But people forget that A&M was ranked above UT by US News only 25 years ago!! Since then, we've fallen and they've risen. Enrollment has a lot to do with that.

The A&M System can educate a growing Texas population without breaking the flagship. Send more students to the rest of the system and build more campuses as required.
USNews is hardly a verified methodology and primarily promotes small class sizes and higher school costs.

While parents and students are beginning to question the value of college…maybe Rick Perry was right and growing A&M was the exact right choir. It certainly gives us better political support if you compare former student bases…
Admiral Nelson
Anyone else hearing speculation the Texas Comptroller, Glenn Hegar, is the top candidate to replace Sharp?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Admiral Nelson said:

Anyone else hearing speculation the Texas Comptroller, Glenn Hegar, is the top candidate to replace Sharp?

He's got much bigger plans than A&M chancellor. I could see jobs he's been waiting on opening up in the next year or two. Statewide ballot name recognition is a hell of a thing to waste. Just my .02
Velvet Jones
AG

A&M is the second largest University in the country. Its not because of top 10%. The doors were thrown open, alot of degree programs that arent necessary, and credential inflation is now a human right.
Velvet Jones
AG
Also, the A&M flag that flies over the Los Alamos National Laboratory is because of John Sharp.
TexAggie1999
murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

The Top 10% rule did NOT require the massive enrollment expansion that has occurred in the last 12 years. And that rule was in place long before the massive ramp up in enrollment. Sharp has an ego and being bigger stroked that ego. He should have focused on being better instead of bigger and had more moderate growth targets.
TexAggie1999
OBJTEX said:

NyAggie said:

murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

The PUF funds were setup by the Texas Constitution. It would require an amendment to the Texas Constitution to change the split. That requires a 2/3 majority of the Texas House and Texas Senate. That isn't happening.

Also, the University of Texas System is still much larger than the Texas A&M System.
romanagg11
Football curse is broken!
Faustus
TexAggie1999 said:

OBJTEX said:

NyAggie said:

murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

The PUF funds were setup by the Texas Constitution. It would require an amendment to the Texas Constitution to change the split. That requires a 2/3 majority of the Texas House and Texas Senate. That isn't happening.

Also, the University of Texas System is still much larger than the Texas A&M System.
That sounds difficult on its face, but the Texas Constitution has been amended 530 times since 1876, including 46 times in the last 10 years.

https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/amendments/Constamend1876.pdf

The UT system also includes the med schools, the MD Anderson Cancer Center, and Stephen F. Austin for grins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_University_Fund

Stephen F. Austin and UT-RGV were added to the UT roster in the last 10 years and mustered the 2/3 needed to amend the Constitution. SFA's admission in 2023 was unanimous per the wiki link.

Adding mouths is far easier than changing the split though, as you note. Taking money away from the medical schools, the cancer center, the UT schools in the major population centers, and Nacogdoches as of 2023 will be tough. At a minimum A&M would need to bribe Denton, Lubbock, and UH with promises they'd get part of the pot, and why would A&M want to do that when it already receives 1/3 of the PUF with far less ways to have to split it?
SA-AG72
AG
Hellbent said:

By far the best Chancellor in the history of Texas A&M

Not!
SA-AG72
AG
Admiral Nelson said:

Sharp is a past Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
BartInLA
I will readily admit that my theory is not based on any experience, but here is my thinking.
1. We have by far the largest public university in the state.
2. Raise the standards incredibly so that we are considered a very highly competitive school.
3. Focus on STEM subjects.
4. Higher Nobel prize winners
5. Greatly reduce those students who are planning to be K-12 teachers and so forth.
6. Recruit very heavily among the Asian population. I know that's not PC and I know that the tradition and high spirit of the university might go down because that's just the way it is but we need some higher SAT and GRE scores.
7. We are big enough. Let's focus on being elite in virtually every area.

I know this is an overly simplistic idea, but please let's don't become a diploma mill. We put out some outstanding students who, has a median salary, command the highest of any public university in the state, and that's no doubt because of our heavy emphasis on STEM.
I majored in physics and engineering.
OBJTEX
BartInLA said:

I will readily admit that my theory is not based on any experience, but here is my thinking.
2. Raise the standards incredibly so that we are considered a very highly competitive school.
5. Greatly reduce those students who are planning to be K-12 teachers and so forth.
6. Recruit very heavily among the Asian population. I know that's not PC and I know that the tradition and high spirit of the university might go down because that's just the way it is but we need some higher SAT and GRE scores.

I know this is an overly simplistic idea, but please let's don't become a diploma mill. We put out some outstanding students who, has a median salary, command the highest of any public university in the state, and that's no doubt because of our heavy emphasis on STEM.

You surely didnt take hire level english classes.
concac
AG
OBJTEX said:

BartInLA said:

Neither did you.
OBJTEX
Unemployed said:

OBJTEX said:

BartInLA said:

Neither did you.

Guessing you did not get my joke
Velvet Jones
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.