Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Supreme Chancellor Sharp retiring

8,462 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by OKC~Ag
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Might be the best news of the week/month/year.
AgsMnn
AG
Why wait a year?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I think he's been a net positive for A&M. I would wait to see who follows him before celebrating. Most people in our society and in academia in particular are not very capable or competent.
JohnLA762
AG
I must say, he wasn't very sharp…
hunter2012
AG
I don't disagree about growing the university to new heights, but the growth should have been about half as fast as they pushed it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
hunter2012 said:

I don't disagree about growing the university to new heights, but the growth should have been about half as fast as they pushed it.
yeah, definition of success will vary from person to person. I kindof wish A&M was still a relatively small school with legacy admission and you could still back your truck up to northgate.
Charlie Murphy
Measuring a university succcess by number of students is a great way to turn it into a diploma factory that provdes little value to the student.
Welcome to the China Club

"Here's the pitch...POPPED it up! Oh man, that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."
-Harry Carey
The Collective
AG
Probably just hire Rick Perry.

ElephantRider
AG
A whole year? Just go now
AgsMnn
AG
That's what I am worried about.

Would Loftin work?

The Collective
AG
And if the OP is making a Star Wars reference with his thread title, when do we get... somehow Sharp has returned?
Bill Superman
AG
About damn time. When is the celebration?
well_endowed_ag
I generally agree with his mission to make the university larger, but I think it happened too quickly, and the way it came at the expense of academic rankings and faculty-to-student ratio was unfortunate.
Aggie Dad 26
Don't let the door hit ya
murphyag
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

hunter2012 said:

yeah, definition of success will vary from person to person. I kindof wish A&M was still a relatively small school with legacy admission and you could still back your truck up to northgate.
Well you can thank the state legislature for it not being like the good old days. They ruined it when they passed the top 10% law for admissions to state universities.
murphyag
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

I generally agree with his mission to make the university larger, but I think it happened too quickly, and the way it came at the expense of academic rankings and faculty-to-student ratio was unfortunate.
He didn't really have control of the speed in which the school population grew. Not much he could do about the top 10% law passed by the state legislature (who conveniently made it only the top 6% at tu, and they still get majority of the PUF fund even though A&M has been burdened with educating A higher student population).

ETA- Don't misunderstand me, he often says and does things that are cringey as hell. But, I do blame the size of our student population on the Texas legislature.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
murphyag said:

hunter2012 said:

Well you can thank the state legislature for it not being like the good old days. They ruined it when they passed the top 10% law for admissions to state universities.

This.
I'd be curious to see A&M's enrollment increase relative to Texas' population increase since the legislation has been in place.
zag213004
AG
Can his retirement be 10 years ago?
ftworthag02
AG
I can't tell you how many times I talk to parents that say that their kid wasn't accepted into A&M. Good, smart kids from amazing families. Is it that popular?
The Dog Lord
AG

I think he's been a net positive for A&M. I would wait to see who follows him before celebrating. Most people in our society and in academia in particular are not very capable or competent.
Agree on this point. Remember who gets to pick his replacement...
Bill Superman
AG
He needs to take that cursed blank Jimbo championship placque with him.
TyperWoods
Do this mean Levy is out? Please please please
Nate09
AG
murphyag said:

well_endowed_ag said:

He didn't really have control of the speed in which the school population grew. Not much he could do about the top 10% law passed by the state legislature (who conveniently made it only the top 6% at tu, and they still get majority of the PUF fund even though A&M has been burdened with educating A higher student population).

ETA- Don't misunderstand me, he often says and does things that are cringey as hell. But, I do blame the size of our student population on the Texas legislature.
I'm sure there are stats that go further back if I look harder

• Only 1/3 of A&M incoming freshmen in 2023 were admitted via top 10%
  • Over the last 5 years, total admissions via top 10% were flat - about 6,000 in each class.
  • Admissions from freshmen not in top 10% increased from ~11,000 to ~14,000 since 2019
  • Since 2019, student counts increased from 69,000 to 77,000. That increase is ENTIRELY from non-top 10% admits. I'd imagine it's similar if you went further back in time.

Bottom line, top 10% is not causing the massive student growth in the CS campus, at least not recently. We're admitting more students that are outside top 10%. That's a problem IMO.
UT gets a cap so no more than 75% of their incoming class is auto-admitted. Our auto-admit rate is ~33%. A&M does not have the same issue that they do. I'm sure A&M would get the same rules UT does if we had the same rate of auto-admits that they do.

https://abpa.tamu.edu/accountability-metrics/student-metrics/applied-admitted-enrolled
Maroon Flash
AG
10% rule needs to go. Return to competitive admissions with test scores very heavily factoring in. Unfortunately top 30% of many private schools >> top 10% of public schools.
Maroon Flash
OBJTEX
Our long national nightmare is over (almost).

Kill off diploma mill strategy; hire competent AD; and get out of the way.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I dont think there are 70k+ students because of top 10 rule
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Maroon Flash said:

10% rule needs to go. Return to competitive admissions with test scores very heavily factoring in. Unfortunately top 30% of many private schools >> top 10% of public schools.
Make admission contingent upon giving a crap about being an Aggie and demonstrate the ability to succeed. I dont care if you have high test scores but A&M is just another option youre considering. Legacies should be heavily weighted.
WC94
AG
hunter2012 said:

Might be the best news of the week/month/year.

"Lord it's a miracle. Man up and vanished, like a fart in the wind"
deer corn

I think he's been a net positive for A&M.

This is like saying, "I don't think Hitler liked Jews."
Lone Stranger
Lord.....TAMU Marketing & Communications (MarComm) was already known as the John Sharp promotional department. The stuff they are going to spew in the next 12 months about how great he is will be pretty sensationalistic.

He didn't have to do much to outshine Graves, McTear and McKinney. Sharp was no Perry Adkisson or Barry Thompson.

The Zookeeper
AG
deer corn said:

Uhhhm ....

Wouldn't it be the polar opposite of saying that?
Hellbent
AG
By far the best Chancellor in the history of Texas A&M
Classof1998
AG
Damn wish it was next month………lol
Right On
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Hellbent said:

By far the best Chancellor in the history of Texas A&M

Hello Mrs Sharp.
el_guapo
The Zookeeper said:

deer corn said:

Uhhhm ....

Wouldn't it be the polar opposite of saying that?

Yip.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.