Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Stadium Entrance - "Not Like Us"

14,361 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Leonard H. Stringfield
Townie in Exile
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright you clicked on it. Yet another in a long list of threads about our entrance song, but I think this could work and here's why:
Despite what you'd say about the song itself (or the man who wrote it for that matter), Power at Kyle Field was undeniably one of the best entrances in CFB. What made it special was the buy-in and energy from the crowd 100k strong, especially the student section. It was less about the lyrics in my opinion, and more about how easy it was to jump in and make your presence felt with the "AH's" and the "A's".
Fast forward and Power should be off the table. We tried something different last year but it didnt seem to capture the same energy because it wasn't recognizable.
If you haven't heard about the Kendrick Lamar / Drake feud go research it and come back. Hundreds have weighed in and can educate better than me, but to sum it up, Kendrick dropped the hammer, the final word if you will with the last song in the beef, "Not Like Us". I guarantee you if you played this song, the entire student section would automatically know to break into chants of "THEY NOT LIKE US" that repeats over and over in the song's hook.
I think this is the perfect thing to get back the mojo that once surrounded the entrance when it was Power.
The beat goes hard, and gets people moving. It's culturally recognizable and would be super easy to pick up when the season starts. And most importantly and can't think of a more fitting phrase to chant 100,000 strong than "they not like us".
Aggies have always had an identity that finds camaraderie in how we're viewed as weird or cultish. We're outsiders, us against the world, or as our university has said "we're different, and that's what makes a difference"
What university is like Texas A&M? What student body is like the Aggies? Everyone wants to be the 12th man, but there's no substituting the original.

"THEY NOT LIKE US"? You're damn right they are not
Townie in Exile
AG
And just to be clear, you could very well just use the instrumental track and just focus on the hook of the song. No need to get into all the debate over the rest of the song lyrics
MD1993
AG
Yeah, that's a no for me dawg.
Pepe SiIvia
AG
The old cranky weirdos don't want anything other than boomer rock or other stupid *****
TAMUallen
AG
No
AgTrip
First off, who gives a rat's ass about Kendrick Lamar / Drake's feud? Those bring nothin to the table for me. I also don't want to pay any royalties to over inflated egomaniacs.

I agree with you on the Ahh, Aaa;s and the chanting is what made Power so fun but again, we've moved on from Kayne and I'm ok with that too.

The cool thing about last years entrance song is it was done by an Aggie, specifically for Texas A&M. I know a lot of people don't care for Surfaces. I don't think they're expecting to be connected to the song. Colin did it because he was asked by the University. I thought it was cool because it was done by one of the school's own.

Who knows what they'll pick this year. I can promise you though, many will ***** and moan so see you in those threads!
Actual Talking Thermos
wop wop wop wop
greg.w.h
AG
How many other threads do we need to check off the off-season must post list???
Texmid
AG
Wow!! That "song" is terrible.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I don't see us bailing on the Surfaces project after one year. Whether we like the song or not, people put a lot of work and thought into making that a reality and it is not a good look to bail after one year.
Bad Poster
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

I don't see us bailing on the Surfaces project after one year. Whether we like the song or not, people put a lot of work and thought into making that a reality and it is not a good look to bail after one year.

Why? New coach, new AD. Get rid of the past
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Bad Poster said:

Why? New coach, new AD. Get rid of the past
I am agreement with you. I suspect some booster or someone with power (and ego) set this up with Surfaces and isnt going to let this baby go just yet. Just my opinion. My wish is to bring in a massive song that is known that will get everyone jacked up.
Last point, if the NFL can bring back Kanye at the super bowl halftime show, see halftime of Chiefs Eagles where Rhianna played one or two of his songs, then so can we. Pipe dream I know.
one safe place
Townie in Exile said:

Should be "THEY ARE NOT LIKE US." A university should carefully choose what it promotes.
TexAggie1999
Seriously? That song is full of racial slurs and cuss words. It also sounds like ***** The voice is also terrible. If you want your image to be wimpy and small, that voice is perfect (the artist may not look that way, but his voice is weak).

This is worse than Power by far (and that was a trashy song).

How about pick an entrance song whose lyrics aren't absolutely embarrassing and that you wouldn't be ashamed for a kid to see. Even if you don't play all the lyrics, people are going to pull up the song and listen to it if you use it for your entrance.

"Not like Us" is one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard. Total trash song.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Just play Bulls on Parade by RATM. People would go nuts. Or get Pantera or Metallica and get on with it.
greg.w.h
AG

Just play Bulls on Parade by RATM. People would go nuts. Or get Pantera or Metallica and get on with it.
And I thought Spirit and Aggie War Hymn were both provocative and inspiring…
PatAg
AG
AgTrip said:

First off, who gives a rat's ass about Kendrick Lamar / Drake's feud? Those bring nothin to the table for me. I also don't want to pay any royalties to over inflated egomaniacs.

I agree with you on the Ahh, Aaa;s and the chanting is what made Power so fun but again, we've moved on from Kayne and I'm ok with that too.

The cool thing about last years entrance song is it was done by an Aggie, specifically for Texas A&M. I know a lot of people don't care for Surfaces. I don't think they're expecting to be connected to the song. Colin did it because he was asked by the University. I thought it was cool because it was done by one of the school's own.

Who knows what they'll pick this year. I can promise you though, many will ***** and moan so see you in those threads!
There is nothing cool about the song from last year.
It was awful, doesnt matter that an Aggie made it.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
Darn New Army has taken our traditions down the crapper hole.

We just need to go back to the Aggie War Hymm to start if off to get the juices going.

Then follow it up with some of that the Mike Tyson - Time 4 Sum Aksion (Best entrance ever) variation showing the players walking down to the waiting area before running onto the field. The big screens showing this happening.

Then when ready to take the field, kick it off with the booms and bangs and blast some Migos - Is You Ready from the Mile 22 Original Soundtrack.

Boom.
This will work.

Then at the end of the game play some We Bleed Maroon by Granger
Only Fans Director
Townie in Exile said:

Aggies have always had an identity that finds camaraderie in how we're viewed as weird or cultish. We're outsiders, us against the world, or as our university has said "we're different, and that's what makes a difference"

If you spend more time trying to be different you will end up with all the players with blue hair.
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
aalan94
AG
Quote:

The old cranky weirdos don't want anything other than boomer rock or other stupid *****
Damn right. Proud old guy here. Never heard a Taylor Swift song in my life. Hasn't been a decent band in rock or pop since the Black Crowes. That's where I stand and I'm unrepentant.

We need to come into something that rocks, not your little millenial Barney the dinosaur kid music.
We need something Texas-y. SRV or ZZTop.
AgTrip
PatAg said:

AgTrip said:

There is nothing cool about the song from last year.
It was awful, doesnt matter that an Aggie made it.
You missed my point amigo. I said the cool thing about last year's song was that the school contacted a former student to do it. The song itself was a chant like version of Power, take it or leave it. I just was loved the fact that the school went from within instead of some outside source.
QB1
AG
had to google it - first 5 secs of the song were a complete snoozer for me...I'm out....needs to hit from the start, this does not
Pepe SiIvia
AG
aalan94 said:

Quote:

Damn right. Proud old guy here. Never heard a Taylor Swift song in my life. Hasn't been a decent band in rock or pop since the Black Crowes. That's where I stand and I'm unrepentant.

We need to come into something that rocks, not your little millenial Barney the dinosaur kid music.
Cool!
OrygunAg
AG
aalan94 said:

Quote:

So entrance music to oldies? That'd be like if we used la bamba as entrance music in 1990
TexAggie1999
OrygunAg said:

aalan94 said:

Quote:

So entrance music to oldies? That'd be like if we used la bamba as entrance music in 1990

Except that things have changed significantly. "Old" music now significantly outsells and outstreams newer music. This is a well reported phenomenon. For many in the music industry, that is a huge concern.

There are many theories on why this is true. One which I think is very likely is that most new music simply sucks. That song "Not like Us" is definitely a good example of how truly terrible a lot of new music is. There are also plenty of theories on that to including the fact that there are easier ways to get famous. Social media, including YouTube! and TikTok, are an easier way to become well known. Why spend years getting proficient on an instrument when you can create online content without the same effort? Also, technology has made it easier to make "passable" music. With a computer and the right software, you can make something that at least passes as music with little experience. You also have auto tune so even those who can't sing well don't sound horrible. So almost anyone can create music, so there is less incentive to go through the years of practice and effort to create truly awesome music.

At any rate, it is a FACT that older music is far more popular than it used to be. The students are going to know songs from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 2000's far more than college students a couple of decades ago would have known 50's and 60's music.

I can see it at my teenager's events. At pool parties, swim team meets, football games, etc., you constantly hear rock music from the 80's and 90's. Similarly, at Boy Scout Summer Camp, they play music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's during lunch and the kids know every word to every song (which amazed me).

"Old" music simply isn't as old as it used to be. Whether it be Metallica, AC/DC, Journey, Queen, or whatever the students are going to know the songs. And in 10 years they will still know those sings, when the "popular" music of today will be forgotten (with rare exceptions of something like Taylor Swift who, for whatever reason, is outsized popular). "Not like Us" may be extremely popular right now given it was released this month, but in 5 years (probably two years), something old like AC/DC's Back and Black will be streaming more than that trash song.
Schrute Farms
I enjoy "Not Like Us" as a single. It'd be horrible entrance song, however.

The West Coast beat is intentional and meant to signify specific themes in the culture. The most memorable lyrics are calling people pdf files. The actual "not like us" portion is also specific to the culture. There's a reason he refers to Drake as a colonizer when discussing Atlanta.

It'd be an interesting choice for USCw or one of the Bay Area schools. It'd be the worst possible choice for Texas A&M.
Ags77
AG
Hard NO for me.
Gigem
TXAGBQ76
AG
Which players have blue hair?
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
brunsie
AG
Townie in Exile said:

Alright you clicked on it. Yet another in a long list of threads about our entrance song, but I think this could work and here's why:
Despite what you'd say about the song itself (or the man who wrote it for that matter), Power at Kyle Field was undeniably one of the best entrances in CFB. What made it special was the buy-in and energy from the crowd 100k strong, especially the student section. It was less about the lyrics in my opinion, and more about how easy it was to jump in and make your presence felt with the "AH's" and the "A's".
Fast forward and Power should be off the table. We tried something different last year but it didnt seem to capture the same energy because it wasn't recognizable.
If you haven't heard about the Kendrick Lamar / Drake feud go research it and come back. Hundreds have weighed in and can educate better than me, but to sum it up, Kendrick dropped the hammer, the final word if you will with the last song in the beef, "Not Like Us". I guarantee you if you played this song, the entire student section would automatically know to break into chants of "THEY NOT LIKE US" that repeats over and over in the song's hook.
I think this is the perfect thing to get back the mojo that once surrounded the entrance when it was Power.
The beat goes hard, and gets people moving. It's culturally recognizable and would be super easy to pick up when the season starts. And most importantly and can't think of a more fitting phrase to chant 100,000 strong than "they not like us".
What university is like Texas A&M? What student body is like the Aggies? Everyone wants to be the 12th man, but there's no substituting the original.

That song is garbage. No thanks.
AgDotCom
Quote:

Everyone wants to be the 12th man, but there's no substituting the original.
Yet we have been doing everything we can over the past 15 years to destroy the 12th Man. Kyle Field is now a night club with DJs and smoke shows. Light shows are next.

Yeah, everyone wants to be the 12th Man except us.
greg.w.h
AG
OrygunAg said:

aalan94 said:

Quote:

In the Mood by Glen Miller Orchestra…

Tex117
AG
I know its offseason, but yall really spend too much time thinking about this.
BraxtonW
AG
Just needs to cater to the young crowd(students and players)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.