Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who Would You Put on the Mt. Rushmore of Texas Country Music?

6,913 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by 85AustinAg
TroubadourFestival
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
Traces of Texas said:

TexAgs Sponsors said:

From TexAgs Sponsor, Troubadour Festival:

Around this time last year, I posted about this performance of "Boys From Oklahoma" by Cross Canadian Ragweed and friends at Shadow Canyon (now Shiner Park) in Northgate. I mentioned that I would show this video to anyone who would ask me to define Texas Country/Red Dirt Music.

That got me to thinking for this year … if you had your own Mount Rushmore of Texas Country/Red Dirt artists or bands, who would be on it?

At first, the possibilities seem endless. Not to mention, the lines have blurred in recent years between what is Texas/Red Dirt Music and what is generally "accepted" into the scene.

But there are some that stand out to me. Hell, even a few of them are in that video. Cross Canadian Ragweed were nothing short of rock stars at their peak, and their continued cult following will make them legends in the scene for years after we're all gone.

Then you have other staples who date 20-plus years: Randy Rogers Band, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Wade Bowen, Stoney LaRue, Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison (RIP), Pat Green, Mike McClure, Reckless Kelly, and the list can go on.

Do you include some (relatively) new names who have vaulted to superstardom, a la Turnpike Troubadours, Koe Wetzel, Whiskey Myers, Cody Johnson, Cody Jinks, Parker McCollum, etc.?

Who would be among that iconic four in your mind?

Before I share mine, I'll provide full disclosure: I'm 37 years old, so humbly class of 2004 coming out of high school. I didn't jump on the Texas/Red Dirt train personally until a few years after college, but spent many years around it with my family (specifically my big brother) being all into it during those formidable years.

Remember: This is all in good fun! We're all not going to agree, and our definitions of what is considered Texas/Red Dirt might vary. But the fun part is seeing what artists/bands define us in our music tastes.

With all that said, here's my Mount Rushmore.

Cross Canadian Ragweed. The dramatic breakup and urban legends that followed the end of Ragweed only adds to their legend, but there's no denying the stake they set for the present and future of Red Dirt Music. Those guys were absolute rock stars. They hardly received any radio love outside of college stations in Oklahoma, and "17" remains one of the most iconic anthems in the scene's history.

Turnpike Troubadours. Turnpike is my all-time favorite Red Dirt band and epitomize the meaning of firing on all cylinders when it comes to songwriting, mastering instrumentation, and a killer live performance. Did their legend grow because of the hiatus? Probably. But to me that doesn't change the kind of impact Felker and Co. made on the scene.

Robert Earl Keen. One of the greatest songwriters in country music history, period. REK is one of those who never had and never will have the kind of commercial success as his peers, but you can bet anything every single one of them points to REK as a major influence on their lives and careers.

Pat Green. PFG was one of the first to lead the raucous college country bar scene into the stuff of legends in the 1990s and early 2000s. He put out hit after hit after hit and was easily the biggest name in the scene at his time. The "sellout" label has thankfully chilled these days, since practically every artist is doing or is trying to do the thing people grew to hate Pat Green for. But no matter your stance, you can't deny his stature. For the record, I love "Wave on Wave."

And yes, we are EXTREMELY stoked to have Pat Green on the lineup at Troubadour Festival at Aggie Park on May 18. Here's my shameless "Buy Tickets" plug … you can buy them here.

I almost regret doing this, because that was TOUGH.

But now I gotta know, who's on your Mount Rushmore?

Answer below and I'll pick a winner to receive four Music Tickets to Troubadour Festival.

Congrats to "Gator_2" on winning two BBQ & Music tickets from our last post. Shoot me a DM and I'll get you squared away.

We'd love to see y'all out there for an even bigger and better year at Aggie Park on May 18. Tickets are on sale right here.

Thanks y'all!
Chase Colston

No offense, Chase Colston, but as gently as I can say it, your list is ... interesting.

First off ... Cross Canadian Ragweed and Turnpike Troubadours are not even Texas bands, so how could they be on a Texas Mount Rushmore?

Second ... Pat Green? Ahead of Willie Nelson, who wrote the most-played jukebox song in history? Ahead of Lefty Frizzell, who practically invented honky-tonk music and who influenced everybody who came after him, from Willie to Merle Haggard? Ahead of Bob Wills, Waylon Jennings, and George Jones? Ahead of Ernest freakin' Tubb? I like Pat Green's music a lot and I understand that you're 37 years old but ... come on, now!

1) Willie Nelson has to be there. He's one of the most influential musical artists of all time, in any genre, and has written some incredible songs. In a span of one week he wrote "Crazy," "Night Life," "Funny How Time Slips Away" and "Turn Out the Lights (the party's over). That's more than most musicians do in a career.

2) Bob Wills has got to on it, too. He didn't really invent western swing (that was more Milton Brown), but he popularized it and introduced the notion that fiddles are a necessary part of the sound. He gets credit for the genre.

That leaves two spots for some combination of George Jones, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings, George Strait and maybe a couple of others. It's hard to keep George Jones and Lefty Frizzell off the Mount Rushmore in my opinion. Lefty was so influential. There was country music before him and after him and they are two entirely different beasts. And George had that incredible country voice and sang, though he did not write, "He Stopped Loving Her Today," which is consistently among a handful of songs that most everybody recognizes as the the greatest in country music history.

I could understand an argument for George Strait in place of either George Jones or Lefty Frizzell, based solely on massive record sales. But George Strait is not a great guitarist or songwriter and, while he has a wonderful country voice, it's not that distinctive. George Strait is a great song picker, though, and a great interpreter of other people's songs, and certainly his style has impacted so many who have come behind him. Close but no cigar. I'd leave Waylon off simply because we've already got Willie and we only get four slots. Ernest Tubb deserves consideration, too, but his impact is a bit less than the others.

IMO:

Willie Nelson, Bob Wills, George Jones, and Lefty Frizzell go on the Texas Mount Rushmore of Country Music. I'd have a separate Mount Rushmore for singer/songwriters like Robert Earl, Townes, Guy Clark etc ...

But Cross Canadian Ragweed and Turnpike Troubadours on a Texas Mount Rushmore? Surely you jest, sir!
My point was to pick four to go on a Texas Country/Red Dirt music Mount Rushmore. Ragweed and Turnpike are most definitely Red Dirt bands, and two of the most iconic of all-time. Evan Felker is one of the best songwriters of this generation.

I wasn't really trying to lean into artists from Texas, but the genre of Texas Country/Red Dirt in itself. I didn't expect everyone (or anyone) to agree. Just having fun!
BartInLA
Bought him a beer once in a Dallas bar and talked about a minute. I asked him why he doesn't play in College Station and he said nobody ever asked him to. Maybe some bar owner could make him an offer?
sandcrob
AG
Jason boland.
Wade Bowen
Reckless Kelly.
Willie Nelson
"I don't know how to put this but...I'm kind of a big deal"
Fitzwilly
AG
What's awesome about this post is how much time I took to write a reply. Everyone will define their list from different criteria, which is great. I was lucky enough to be at A&M in the 2002-2008 window of time, which I still feel was the HEIGHT of TX Country Music. Having deafened myself at the Hall and Harry's every weekend, I feel like my list has to be:

Roger Creager
Wade Bowen
Reckless
Aaron Watson

Honorable mention to Randy Rogers and REK. Both KINGS at what they do, but come in #5 and #6 to me.

I personally love Kyle Park and Cody Johnson and miss the days of hanging out with both after their shows, but they aren't Rushmore-able as I'd define it.

The Creager concerts from back then were UNMATCHED in energy, crowd participation and just all out honky-tonkin' beer-drinkin' two-steppin' fun. Bowen is my all-time favorite TX Country songwriter. Seriously, if you don't like Wade's stuff, what are you even doing here?? Reckless had too many iconic songs to even mention here and Watson has probably the largest discography out of them all.

This was fun. Let's do it again sometime.
Bison
AG
Willie's moving the Picnic to Jersey.

Is this forgivable? Probably, but I think the proper consequence is that we get to have five faces and not four.

Willie
Bob
Possum
Lefty
George
cbakerbrants
If we are going with song writers give me:

Townes Van Zandt
Guy Clark
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson

Too many to pick just 4:
- Jerry Jeff Walker
- Blaze Foley
- Robert Earl Keen
- Ray Wylie Hubbard
- George Jones
- Roy Orbison
- Lefty Frizelle
- Billy Joe Shaver
- Mo Robson
- Buck Owens
- Randy Rogers
- Lyle Lovett
- Jack Ingram
- Kenny Rogers
- Ryan Bingham
- Charlie Robison
cbakerbrants
Has a winner been announced?
StinkyPinky
AG
What did I win again?
WaldoWings
How many realize the enigma that was Jerry Jeff Walker? Born and raised in upstate New York. One of our most revered rough and tumble, fun loving, like everybody's buddy/uncle musicians was a… wait for it….. YANKEE! lol..

But man was he awesome! And supposedly upstate New York is full of great people and beautiful country.
halfastros81
AG
This is Texas . The Mount Rushmore would need at least 8 faces. The initial four list was solid but i can't see leaving George Jones or Kenny Rogers off.
ServeAces
Jerry Jeff Walker
Willie
Waylon
Kris Kristofferson
TXAGBQ76
AG
Ray Price
Ernest Tubb
Aggie87
AG
Texas Country:
Willie Nelson
George Strait
Bob Wills
Waylon Jennings

Texas "alt country":
Joe Ely
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Robert Earl Keen
Jimmie Dale Gilmore

...with an honorable mention for Jimmy LaFave (RIP) and James McMurtry.
maroonthrunthru
Country Rushmore:
George Strait
Willie
Bob Wills
Waylon

Honorable Mentions:
Lyle
Radney Foster
Ronnie Dunn
Tanya
Ray Benson
GinMan
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

Jack Ingram is terrible…

Pat
REK
Cory
Roger
Stalling

There is no other answer for best "Texas Country" singers

This is it folks
Pat
REK
Cory
Roger
Stalling

Everyone else succumbed to the "Nashville Sucks" crowd and became part of the system.
This is definitely a "TEXAS Country" list.
Lovett, Willie, Wills, George, Jerry Jeff (all excellent artists from Texas!) all of them fell into the Nashville/Opry crowd.

vin diesel
Billy Joe Shaver
texag_89
If you dont put Scamp Walker at the top of your list, then you are either too young or just dont know:

Class of 65
AG
CHARLIE PRIDE
aeon-ag
Leave Rushmore alone! No music artist deserves to belong where men of greatness stand!!!
maroon man
S
Let's not kid ourselves; a list without George Strait is not a real list.

Absolutely & unequivocally George Strait belongs at #1 or near there.

TXAG 05
AG
maroon man said:

Let's not kid ourselves; a list without George Strait is not a real list.

Absolutely & unequivocally George Strait belongs at #1 or near there.

Except he isn't Texas Country, he is a country singer from Texas.
Bryanisbest
AG
Willie Nelson
Merle Haggard
George Jones
Ernest Tubb
WhiteYaloo
REK for sure
AWP 97
AG
As usual, people from Oklahoma have to use Texas to become relevant so they came up with Red Dirt to latch on to Texas Country. However, the new Texas Country is different than the old Outlaw Country. It all gets very blended on what the OP really wants. Personally, I would only include musicians from Texas and four spots is definitely not enough. My personal favorites would have to be in no particular order:

Willie
Waylon
REK
George (Jones and Strait)

Bob Wills is hard to leave off because Waylon told me he was still the king. I'm sure I could be talked into many others but I could listen to my Top 4-5 on repeat for the rest of my life.
CorrienteKid
Actually, it is named after Ray Hubbard, not Ray Wylie. Ray Hubbard was a businessman in Dallas.
85AustinAg
AG
It is absolutely criminal for Lyle Lovett to not be mentioned more often on here. He is one of the top 5 singer/songwriters in the history of Texas Music Country or otherwise. REK and some of these others are great and all but they don't hold a candle to how great Lyle is. Some of you guys need to expand your musical tastes if it doesn't include Lyle Lovett. Rant over.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.