Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

You always judge a hire

5,906 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Slicer97
Wurk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
By how upset fans of said coach/personnel are leaving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/s/k8WhKUitNx

By this metric, A&M made a solid hire with Trev
fightintxaggie10
AG
I'll say this, the university going to pay an ADs 4 million dollar buyout fee is classic A&M. Better hope that doesn't backfire. We still are bleeding cash after buying out Jimbo and Schloss need a baseball palace built now
BMX Bandit
Like when Bama fans lost it when we hired Fran?

Or when tu fans laughed at the real UT for being Barnes?
The Marksman
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Would you rather have Nebraska fans be saying good riddance or be upset that he's leaving? Some of y'all are only happy when you're unhappy.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
for what it's worth

bjork reminded be of a cheerleader during his college days

trev alberts was an all american bad ass football player. if all things being equal i would rather have the football playing AD than the dork Bjork.
BMX Bandit
I don't care either way what they say or think.

That's the point. How they feel fealllu doesn't matter. Like out fans here, they are likely clueless on what an AD actually does.

What is telling is that be just got a new deal, so those at Nebraska that do understand the job were happy with him. Thats a good sign
amg405
AG
A current assistant coach at Nebraska that played for me years ago said that it's a huge loss for them. He said that Alberts is really, really good.
arontc09
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

I'll say this, the university going to pay an ADs 4 million dollar buyout fee is classic A&M. Better hope that doesn't backfire. We still are bleeding cash after buying out Jimbo and Schloss need a baseball palace built now
If he's truly a good choice for AD, his fund raising abilities are what's going to pull us out of the hole and build new facilities. In that case, he will have contributed far more in funds raised than any buyout we paid.
TexanJeff
AG
Wurk said:

By how upset fans of said coach/personnel are leaving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/s/k8WhKUitNx

By this metric, A&M made a solid hire with Trev

Pure comedy

Thanks for sharing
Ol Jock 99
AG
I wonder if Nebraska fans are more upset about losing the man, or the very public declaration of where they stand in the pecking order of college athletics.
Ag_B_10
AG
Just remember that Alabama fans were pretty upset when we took Fran. Hopefully that's just an outlier.
greg.w.h
AG
He got credit for the Rhioe hire without results and took a step up. And he has successfully closed a football program…but we should stop assuming brilliance by our administrators until we have evidence of it. It sets entirely realistic expectations and suppresses meaningful accountability by basically shouting it down.

Im beginning to think Welsh might be the one at the conn the whole time. Which might be good.
Kozmozag
We are trendsetters, what is the next level hire we are willing to do a buyout. How long has he been the ad at Nebraska? Has he been getting record donations and stacking nattys?
lagoag
Ag_B_10 said:

Just remember that Alabama fans were pretty upset when we took Fran. Hopefully that's just an outlier.
I was even mad we hired Fran, we should've given RC one more year and then look for a new coach. As far as Albert goes I don't know much about him but it seems to be a good hire.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The guys at the Athletic seem impressed. Also called it a disaster for Nebraska.

rootube
AG
I haven't heard one complaint about the out of control AD portal that's ruining college football.
rootube
AG
Follow up question to Max Olsen. You say Trev is going to transform A&M. Can you elaborate on what an AD does exactly to "transform" a university. Our last guy tried, and failed, to hire a coach and left. The guy before that stuck us with a $75M dollar tab. The bar is kinda low here so I'm just curious.
greg.w.h
AG
The tendency to analyze for positives and report them has a word: sensationalism.
McInnis80
I saw that the governor of Nebraska blasted the University leadership over Alberts departure. The president left to take the Ohio State job last year, and has not been replaced. The article said Alberts was upset about the lack of progress in hiring a replacement. Sharp has been here awhile but the President office has had a revolving door.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The Marksman said:

BMX Bandit said:

Would you rather have Nebraska fans be saying good riddance or be upset that he's leaving? Some of y'all are only happy when you're unhappy.

I think you're missing the point: the emotions of the school the hire left aren't relevant. The motivations aren't based on the guy no longer being around, but rather because his leaving wasn't on their terms. If that's the case, and it ALWAYS is, knowing that does us no good.
TexasAggie81
The Marksman said:

BMX Bandit said:

Yep. Remember when FSU were thrilled to be rid of Dumbo. Maybe we should have listened to its fans BEFORE hiring him.
W
AG
I think A&M fans were disappointed to lose Kingsbury to Tech after the 2012 season

KK was a disaster in Lubbock
greg.w.h
AG
W said:

I think A&M fans were disappointed to lose Kingsbury to Tech after the 2012 season

KK was a disaster in Lubbock
And yet he failed up to the NFL…
SteveA
AG
Quote:

trev alberts was an all american bad ass football player. if all things being equal i would rather have the football playing AD than the dork Bjork.
Why? Being a football player doesn't generally equate to intelligence. Often times the opposite. Being Billy Badass 40 years ago won't do anything to pull this program from mediocrity. Hell, he's already behind the 8 ball with a $4mil buyout... For an AD... Classic A&M.
20ag07
Quote:

The article said Alberts was upset about the lack of progress in hiring a replacement. Sharp has been here awhile but the President office has had a revolving door.
This.

Alberts did not leave UNL because he was upset he didn't have a boss.

Then look at our situation and say "great, I can take orders from John Sharp, and my technical boss will change every year."

This simply did not happen.
Jimbo4win
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

The Marksman said:

BMX Bandit said:

Yep. Remember when FSU were thrilled to be rid of Dumbo. Maybe we should have listened to its fans BEFORE hiring him.

When has a program who lost their coach to another school not self soothed with "We're glad to see him go rhetoric?" It's the most predictable response ever. OU is still saying how glad they were to see Lincoln Riley go. Notre Dame fans couldn't wait to tell everyone how glad they were to see Brian Kelly go. Jimbo went 79-23(77.5% winning percentage) over 8 years at FSU. And yes, my username does check out..at least for Florida St anyway..
Texagsubscriber
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Meximan
Ol Jock 99 said:

The guys at the Athletic seem impressed. Also called it a disaster for Nebraska.

Thing is, he kinda will still have to face some dramatic renovations cause Olsen needs an overhaul and a couple of other facilities could use an update (not nearly as dramatic as Olsen, but still significant)

Still kinda disappointed the school didn't throw the checkbook at Pat Henry and give him a billion dollar track facility. At the rate A&M is winning there is no reason Oregon should have better toys
Slicer97
AG
But can he get rid of the bevel?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.