Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Pot Bangers - Give us your opinion on Elko

8,003 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by fightinag
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A lot of us here like the hire, myself included. There's plenty of sunshine on the Zoo in regards to the new HC.

I'm here looking for the glass half empty crowd to give us their take on things.
Mayor West
AG
Hasn't won a single game
Caesar4
AG
Last name is a 4-letter word.
TexanJeff
AG
Didn't bring any help in on Oline and his Defensive coordinator sucked at North Carolina!

He lasts two years tops!!
Slicer97
AG
He'll lead us to perpetual 7-5/8-4 with a 10 win season twice per decade. Not his fault, it's just an A&M football thing.
Just Tired
I have been optimistic about past hires… especially jimbo… so it's probably best if i start out pessimistic. like him as a person… doubtful he can bring in talent at the level necessary to compete at the top of the sec. the defensive equivalent of sherman would be my likely comp.
Sbisa Chef
Slicer97 said:

He'll lead us to perpetual 7-5/8-4 with a 10 win season twice per decade. Not his fault, it's just an A&M football thing.
This. Overall it ensures those who are in our stands like us. The ESPNs and big media type will leave us alone. I'd much rather be around like-minded folk than bandwagon fans who come and go every 3-5 years (love us when we're great, and nowhere to be seen when we suck. F those type.)
Thanks and Gig'em!
Ugly
AG
I'm not much of a pot banger myself, but I think the potential downsides are very easy to see.

1. He has a 17-9 record as a head coach. Most are willing to excuse that given where he made that record, but it is no guarantee that he will end up with a better record in the SEC just because Texas A&M is better than Duke. The is definitely a world where the increased competition of the SEC cancels out the advantages Texas A&M had relative to Duke, and he just maintains a 8-4 type of record like Sumlin did (there is a world where he does a lot worse than this too).

2. He needs to prove he can land a top 5 recruiting class without Jimbo, or we are going to start losing our talent advantage quick. Talk all you want about bringing in guys that "want to play for him", and I will probably agree with you, but if we can't keep up with Bama, Georgia, tu, and LSU in recruiting, we are not going to be able to take that next step.

3. I am in a wait-and-see mode with a lot of his coaching hires. S&C and OC look solid, but it is a bit disconcerting to see how many Florida guys we brought on considering how much of a train wreck they were last season. Also, I say S&C looks good, but there is definitely a possibility that old-school techniques there don't work in the modern portal/NIL world. Personally, I don't care and want him even if that is the case, but it could be a potential issue.

4. He doesn't have the lengthy experience at top tier programs that several coaches do. This is a minor point, as he still has a decade in P5 and half of that time spent at Tier II programs Notre Dame and Texas A&M, but in a league littered with head coaches that were part of national championship teams, it is a slight knock.
Just Tired
Slicer97 said:

since a 10-win season has happened exactly once in the last 25 years, i'd say that clause is wildly optimistic.
Triple-T
AG
He banged your mom?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ugly said:

2. He needs to prove he can land a top 5 recruiting class without Jimbo, or we are going to start losing our talent advantage quick. Talk all you want about bringing in guys that "want to play for him", and I will probably agree with you, but if we can't keep up with Bama, Georgia, tu, and LSU in recruiting, we are not going to be able to take that next step.

I don't think this is true anymore. Guys can move around practically at will now, so HS recruiting is no longer as important as portal recruiting and retention. Top 5 HS classes don't mean anything if half are gone and replaced within 2 years.
NyAggie
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Ugly said:

I don't think this is true anymore. Guys can move around practically at will now, so HS recruiting is no longer as important as portal recruiting and retention. Top 5 HS classes don't mean anything if half are gone and replaced within 2 years.
there's definitely truth here now.

HS recruiting is still the main talent infusion, however it's no longer the be-all end-all.

talent retention and development are going to be key.

if you bring in a core of 20 or so talented HS kids and supplemnt deficient areas on your roster with experienced, productive portal guys, there's a world where you can win big.

Ugly
AG
NyAggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Ugly said:

HS recruiting is still the main talent infusion, however it's no longer the be-all end-all.

if you bring in a core of 20 or so talented HS kids and supplemnt deficient areas on your roster with experienced, productive portal guys, there's a world where you can win big.

I would say to just change "top 5 [high school] recruiting class" to "top 5 [overall] recruiting class" in your head. The key takeaway is that to win big consistently you need a great, not very good, roster. I suspect most of those kids are still going to be coming in from high school for most top programs, but recruiting the portal is definitely a part of it.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
NyAggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Ugly said:

I think that building the team inside out will still be the most important factor for HS recruiting along with QB. OL and QB are the most difficult to develop and the most difficult to find in the portal especially OL. Take care of the LOS and QB and that makes the base for a good team while you can fill out the rest from the portal. In theory at least.

SinKiller
Clearly settled for Elko, and I don't think that's even debatable. I'll just leave it at this, we'll be looking for another coach in 4 or 5 years, and I don't see any 10-win seasons. How we let this all get away from us I'll never know, but the sips are coming in at the absolute worse time for us. You can already see the headlines, beat 'em on the way out, and beat 'em on the way in.

For all you youngsters, you have no idea what it's like when the sips come to town...

PA24
AG
Not a banger and against the legalization of Pot.

but....

I see a Sherman type coach but unlike Sherman, will not lose in the last 2 minutes of the game.

I predict we win be in the playoffs.

Disclaimer: For the last 5 years I have predicted we would be playing in the college championship game....in fact, since 1998, I have predicted a top 3 finish.

BoxingAg84
He's got to get in shape. He's got the most important job on campus and needs to look the part.

Demo_Slug
AG
SinKiller said:

Clearly settled for Elko, and I don't think that's even debatable. I'll just leave it at this, we'll be looking for another coach in 4 or 5 years, and I don't see any 10-win seasons. How we let this all get away from us I'll never know, but the sips are coming in at the absolute worse time for us. You can already see the headlines, beat 'em on the way out, and beat 'em on the way in.

For all you youngsters, you have no idea what it's like when the sips come to town...

Dude that is dead on. For a second there, I thought you was serious
NoahAg
Everything said about Elko was said about every previous new hire. Culture change. New system. Will get his guys to buy in. Ain't like it used to be. Blah blah blah. We'll be right back here in 4-5 years.
SunrayAg
AG
Nothing against Elko at all. Hoping for the best.

But we just pouted and whined and shrieked and paid a 77 million dollar buyout and wrecked the finances of our entire athletic department because our starting quarterback got injured… and then hired a coach from a basketball school.

And then the AD responsible for it bolted to a program without that red number hanging over it.
Double Diamond
Yup^
MaroonStain
AG
August threads in March. Zoo zoo'ing early in 2024.

Tidbits to above posts...

Elko has placed and put forth more structure and organization than probably Sumlin and Jimbo combined. Does this translate to more Ws? We shall see. Once SC Jerry went back to 0U and Jimbo's hire at recruiting director went to PacNW, the program's wheels starting falling off. These two provided Jimbo's structure and organization.

Athletic director at A&M has nothing to do with football HC and staff except rubber stamps and sound bites. If they had more power, a Stoops would be HC instead of Elko which probably led Ross to "seek employment elsewhere".

Elko's success will rely on what offense we roll out. His defense scheme is above-average but relies on great (not good) secondary where we are weakest and have been for years. Special teams can only improve because last few years sucked and cost us multiple games. Anias and Achane were epic players in bad ST.

Game #1 vs. Domers should be packed house and a great game. This is a looooong way away.
Jimbo4win
AG
Kalen DeBoer was the right hire and I seriously don't even think he was pursued by us. I think we told ourselves he wouldn't be interested and also told ourselves we didn't have the time to wait until after the national championship game when he might have been able to listen without distraction-because we needed to be in a hurry to keep Jimbo's class. And what about the portal!?? We need to hurry! And the most Aggie thing about it was these were all SELF IMPOSED restrictions! Imagine a world, and hear me out, where the AD gets the approval to fire Jimbo AFTER early signing day/ initial portal deadline. Then we could have taken all the time we needed to go all in on DeBoer. If, in this process, he had chosen Bama over us, we could have at least made it interesting and at least made in not so easy for them. ELKO WAS ALWAYS WILLING TO ACCEPT THE JOB. That was in the bag but we didn't even have a plan to see if we could do better. And I know-Bama is a better job, no way we could get a real coach because we tried that once and it didn't work, so let's just go back to not giving a s***…It was all comically pathetic.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
personally like the hire if for no other reason we tried to hire someone else and that blew up because the fan base was smarter than the AD.

personally don't like the hire if for no other reason we tried to hire someone else and that blew up because our fan base was smarter than the AD.
KYLE_FIELD
AG
He personally seems like a better human being and coach than our previous hires (at the moment).

Jimbo was a fast talking car salesman that relied on high ranked recruits. Sumlin was all about the flash, looks and swag.

Elko seems like a down to earth, personable coach that will give intelligent interviews and a respectful presence.

Now none of what I've said will correlate with win/loss but I'd rather 8-5 with Elko than the others at this point.
agINbj2000
His belly is very impressive

His coaching is probably above average but not elite

Did not like the hire very much but what can we do?
gabehcoud
3rd and Elko
Sip du jour
The pool of coaches that would take the job weren't world beaters so he's amongst the best of those who would.
MaxPower
How do you define a potbanger? This is not a perpetual state of being. You bang for a coach when he needs to go then stop when he's gone. No clue how you can be a potbanger before a coach has even coached a game for you. At that point you are just a loser.
AGDAD14
Not for Jimbo, we wouldn't even know who Elko was.

I hope for the best; however, decisions made on false premises typically don't work out for the long-term.

BTHO somebody!!!

Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I like the hire of Mike Elko, but I am in a wait and see mode. Winning our season opener against Notre Dame and winning at Florida on 9/14 to snap a 10-game road losing streak would indicate that we are starting on the right track. If we lose our road game at Florida, our road losing streak will extend to 11 games, and our next opportunity to snap that road losing streak would be at Mississippi State on 10/19. If Mike Elko can lead us to an SEC record of 5-3 or better in his first year, that would be a good first season because it would be just our 4th winning SEC record in 13 years in the conference. Achieving that goal would require winning at least one true road game.
Jimbo4win
AG
Sip du jour said:

The pool of coaches that would take the job weren't world beaters so he's amongst the best of those who would.

Source?
Ag Tag
The New York Times referred to Coach Leonard Skinner as "arguably the most influential high school gym teacher in American popular culture."
Andrew Dufresne
Jimbo4win said:

Sip du jour said:

Source?

He's a sip troll
ABATTBQ11
AG
SunrayAg said:

Nothing against Elko at all. Hoping for the best.

But we just pouted and whined and shrieked and paid a 77 million dollar buyout and wrecked the finances of our entire athletic department because our starting quarterback got injured… and then hired a coach from a basketball school.

And then the AD responsible for it bolted to a program without that red number hanging over it.

We didn't fire Jimbo because our starting quarterback got hurt. We fired Jimbo because after 6 years he had a horrible track record against teams with a pulse and had no hope of ever sniffing even a division title.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.