Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which 2024 Away game...

5,008 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bberry72
Duckhook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
... should I go to? I've been to Auburn and Jerry World, so that leaves South Carolina, Florida and Miss St. Pros and cons for each?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I have only been to Starkville on that list. They can be obnoxiously loud with their cowbells, but the way to shut that up is by delivering an ass-kicking from the start, as Johnny & Co. did when I went in 2012.

I might try to get to Gainesville this season.
#FJB
Ag Tag
Mississippi State would be closer and more convenient, less expensive, and easier to deal with.
Duckhook
AG
Ag Tag said:

Mississippi State would be closer and more convenient, less expensive, and easier to deal with.

I'm really talking more about opposing fans, gameday atmosphere, venue, things like that.
Al Bula
AG
Duckhook said:

Ag Tag said:

I'm really talking more about opposing fans, gameday atmosphere, venue, things like that.
StinkyPinky
AG
Duckhook said:

... should I go to? I've been to Auburn and Jerry World, so that leaves South Carolina, Florida and Miss St. Pros and cons for each?
You do not want to sit through an entire game of cowbells, avoid Miss St.

The Swamp is your answer.
MaroonStain
AG
Go to Gainesville. SCar is risky dink and Starkville is best known as named in a Johnny Cash song.
Ag Tag
Al Bula said:

Duckhook said:

Ag Tag said:

I see. Well, I don't have any knowledge on this, so I'll sit down and shut up.
HowdyAgs03
AG
I've been to all three and this would be my recommendation:

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Miss. State
ctownaggie
AG
If you go to South Carolina, you can also do Charleston - it's < 2 hour drive. South Carolina also has a great tailgate area.

Florida was awesome - the Swamp is a great football environment.

Going to Mississippi State this year!
Middleto
We've been to all three of those. Florida is a good bet. Agree about Charleston, we did that before the S. Carolina game and there is a TON of history there. If you go to MS State, go have a steak over at Huck's in Columbus. The cowbells are bad (and yes they beat us that game).
chick79
AG
We usually make one road game a year. However I've been to all those road locations before except Florida and I'm not particularly interested in being in Florida for what will probably be an afternoon game in September with 90% humidity.
Bernard Kansas
I've been to two of those three. The one I have not been to but plan to attend this season is Florida.

South Carolina - a little hard to get to. We flew in to Altanta and drove in to Columbia. It's a 4 hour drive from Atlanta. SC Fans were nice enough. Stadium is super hard to get away from after the game - major traffic. We went in 2014 when Kenny Trill lit them up. Good times.

Mississippi State - Also hard to get to lol. We drove from North Texas. It's like a 9 hour drive. 2 or 3 hours is through a massive national forest. You won't see a structure for a long long time. Tickets were super cheap (this was in 2018). We got 50 yard line row one seats for like 50 bucks. Concessions were cheap too. Like high school concession prices. Tailgate scene was ok. Fans were mostly indifferent. Cowbells are definitely annoying.

So in conclusion I would rank these choices

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Miss State
MBB
Also be careful flying into Jackson for the Miss. state game, They always run out of rental cars!! Memphis too!!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
MBB said:

Also be careful flying into Jackson for the Miss. state game, They always run out of rental cars!! Memphis too!!
Birmingham might be the best option for flying to Starkville. It is pretty much he same distance as from Jackson and the rental car situation probably wouldn't be as bad.
HallaronAg88
AG
Agree South Carolina is the winner. Some pros and cons but tons of southern history. Fly to Charlotte and drive 2 hours. Easy.
Proud member of the Class of '88. Gig'em!
tiger90
Duckhook said:

The Swamp!
BLSmith04
AG
The Swamp for sure. Though it'll be humid as hell.
C2 Ag 93
This should be the easiest decision ever.... Gainesville... easy.
AGDAD14
Miss State is a fun trip. Took grandparents and kids… they enjoyed touring the clock museum and visiting the dairy store (cheese and ice cream) on campus, where you can ship cheese home. Stadium is old, especially the concessions. We took hearing protection, but didn't need it. We all thought the cowbell noise issue was exaggerated.

We stayed in Columbus, nicer hotel choices and easy drive, or take the hotel shuttle to the game like we did.

On our way there, we were told by several Miss couples to go to Anthony's in West Point to eat some of the best catfish. West Point is a hole in the wall small town between Starkville and Columbus off the beaten trail. We ran into Coach Ray Perkins and his son there, and my dad visited with them all night. The food was excellent.

Have fun whatever choice you make!
WC94
AG
Florida. They are going to do a stadium expansion after 2024 season and it is a pretty intimate atmosphere currently. There aren't suites all over the place, just fans. I'm going for sure.
twk
AG
I've done all 3 and I suppose it sort of depends on what you want out of the trip.

All other things being equal, Florida is probably the best on that list. I've only been to Gainesville one time, but I'm going this weekend and again in the Fall. It reminded me a lot of BCS, with a town sort of choked by the university. Downside is how early it is in the schedule. When we went in 2017, it was later in the schedule and we got a night game, so the conditions were ideal. When it's 90 degrees and 98 percent humidity, you'll know why they call it the Swamp.

South Carolina fans, and the stadium situation, reminded me of Texas Tech. Like another posted above, we drove in (bussed in, which is the way to go if you can find a group) from Charleston on gameday, so I haven't seen much of the town (will remedy that in a few weeks for baseball), but the fan base is pretty trashy, and the setting (in the middle of the state fair parking lots) sucks. You can fly direct to Columbia, but those flights may already be full, and won't be cheap. Doing Charleston in connection with the game makes up for the sucky fans and stadium setting, so give that some consideration, but if you have to drive yourself, count on it being tough getting out of the stadium post game.

Everyone talks about the cowbells at Mississippi State, but the trick is to sit in the middle of the A&M section, and not next to a bunch of State fans with cowbells. At a distance, the cowbells are not that overwhelming, but if they are ringing them right next to you, it is a nightmare. You can fly to Golden Triangle Airport (15 minutes east of the stadium), but only on Delta connecting through Atlanta, and I suspect those flights have filled up.
htxag09
AG
Bernard Kansas said:

I've been to two of those three. The one I have not been to but plan to attend this season is Florida.

South Carolina - a little hard to get to. We flew in to Altanta and drove in to Columbia. It's a 4 hour drive from Atlanta. SC Fans were nice enough. Stadium is super hard to get away from after the game - major traffic. We went in 2014 when Kenny Trill lit them up. Good times.

Mississippi State - Also hard to get to lol. We drove from North Texas. It's like a 9 hour drive. 2 or 3 hours is through a massive national forest. You won't see a structure for a long long time. Tickets were super cheap (this was in 2018). We got 50 yard line row one seats for like 50 bucks. Concessions were cheap too. Like high school concession prices. Tailgate scene was ok. Fans were mostly indifferent. Cowbells are definitely annoying.

So in conclusion I would rank these choices

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Miss State
We went to the same South Carolina game, worse traffic I've ever seen at a sporting event. Luckily, we took an Uber to the fairgrounds early to tailgate and just walked back to the campus/bars after the game was over. We were moving way faster than traffic. We somehow stumbled into a tailgate in a train car with Rick Perry that game.

And, agree with the other posts, we flew into Charleston and did a few days in Charleston after the game. Made for a great trip.
Duckhook
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. A trip to Charleston along with the South Carolina game seems like a good choice for my wife and I. For those that have done this, did you stay in Charleston the whole time, and just drive back and forth to the game? Or did you spend one night in/around Columbia? I'm guessing their game weekend hotel pricing is like B/CS.
twk
AG
Duckhook said:

Thanks for all of the replies. A trip to Charleston along with the South Carolina game seems like a good choice for my wife and I. For those that have done this, did you stay in Charleston the whole time, and just drive back and forth to the game? Or did you spend one night in/around Columbia? I'm guessing their game weekend hotel pricing is like B/CS.
I stayed in Charleston. We were part of a group that chartered a bus for the trip to Columbia on gameday, so someone else did the driving. I don't know that I would try to do it as a daytrip from Charleston if I had to do the driving myself, particularly for a night game. But, it is a classic parking lot stadium, with no place to stay nearby, so you are driving to the game (or doing one hell of a long walk), so I suppose it's not out of the question. If you go that route, I would do some careful planning on where to park, like buying a parking pass off of StubHub near your path of exit to go back to Charleston.
ijoan
We have been to the South Carolina game in Columbia twice and had a good time. Would definitely fly into Charleston though and enjoy the southern charm and outstanding restaurants. If you are driving, might also want to check out Savannah area. We also stayed one night in Columbia after the game but would definitely consider Uber rather than driving to game.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Went to SC in 2016, and I still have that stupid crowing sound they play on third down rattling around inside my head.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
tjack16
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I have only been to Starkville on that list. They can be obnoxiously loud with their cowbells, but the way to shut that up is by delivering an ass-kicking from the start, as Johnny & Co. did when I went in 2012.

I might try to get to Gainesville this season.

I went to Starkville in 2016 and 2018. Worst road game experience I've ever had.
20ag07
The Swamp is an absolute blast.
bberry72
AG
Auburn would be one of my first stops. Ole Miss would be next just because of the old south culture but parking is terrible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.