Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Saban drops the truth bomb

14,993 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Carmine Scarpacio
AgDotCom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty interesting behind the scenes look at the 49 hours between Saban's resignation and DeBoer's hiring.

For those speculating Saban was fed up with what college football is becoming, well guess what....you were right.

Saban:

Quote:

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

Definitely Not a Troll
Thanks for dropping this nugget, haven't seen it yet. I can't say I blame Saban. Others have mentioned the stress of recruiting their own roster on top of multiple classes at the same time.
Bonfire.1996
It's funny, to me, really. If Bama had any money, at all, Saban doesn't retire and keeps his mouth shut.

This is purely grievance that NIL has removed his and Bama's competitive advantage.
PatAg
AG
AgDotCom said:

Pretty interesting behind the scenes look at the 49 hours between Saban's resignation and DeBoer's hiring.

For those speculating Saban was fed up with what college football is becoming, well guess what....you were right.

Saban:

Quote:

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

I think it is very unlikely alabama was not paying players before NIL started
Bill Superman
AG
Bama has always been one of the biggest spenders, until folks like us were allowed to do it too.
12thMan9
AG
Bonfire.1996 said:

It's funny, to me, really. If Bama had any money, at all, Saban doesn't retire and keeps his mouth shut.

This is purely grievance that NIL has removed his and Bama's competitive advantage.
Since NIL started 'bama has gone 36-6, losing in the championship game once & in the semis once.

Texas A&M has gone 20-17, losing in its lone bowl appearance this past year.

You may want to edit your post.
Ronnie '88
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
"It's a lot harder when players have way more leverage."
AggieAuditor
AG
I don't think A&M has anything to do with his post.
TAMUallen
AG
Saban got caught selling a brand/program that couldn't come close to matching a legal open market
TAMUallen
AG
12thMan9 said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

Since NIL started 'bama has gone 36-6, losing in the championship game once & in the semis once.

Texas A&M has gone 20-17, losing in its lone bowl appearance this past year.

You may want to edit your post.

He's right though. The advantage has dissipated and Saban left because he will forever be a legend without a falling out
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think one of the biggest things to bear in mind is that this is one of the best money making opportunities of these guys' lives, and no degree or personal development is going to make them the kind of money that NIL will. Most aren't going into the NFL or making anything meaningful there. None are going to be pulling down huge amounts of money for basically nothing for the rest of their lives. They're going to be lucky to be making $50k-$70k after graduating and going into a normal job. NIL may also be more than a lot of their families have ever seen. It's really hard to blame an 18-22 year old for being concerned about it and wanting to take advantage while they can.
1876er
AG
Bonfire.1996 said:

Bama will win multiple national championships before A&M even makes a conference championship game.

Bama isn't going anywhere.
PA24
AG
1876er said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

Bama will win multiple national championships before A&M even makes a conference championship game.

Wrong

Landscape has changed completely, show me the money is now legal in college sports.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Of course, but you can see his points. A player's value - and a program's value to the player - was presumed to be tied to future potential as a professional. What he's saying is that players now expect to be compensated as professionals just for being a college football player. Big difference.

And having to re-recruit your own roster every season is a big difference, and I'd imagine it's a big beatdown.
agnerd
AG
If you're Tiger Woods and have spent your entire career perfecting the game of golf and dominating your opponents, and you have more money than you can spend in your lifetime, and the PGA decides one day that they're changing from golf to tennis, are you going to change a majority of what you know to learn and play the new sport?

Saban worked extremely hard to EARN his competitive advantage. The NCAA took that advantage away from him. If my employer took away my best client that I've spent decades building a relationship with and gave that client to a colleague without consulting or compensating me for it, I'd quit on the spot. Saban did the same thing. He doesn't want or need to play their game by their rules anymore. I think college football will be the loser in the long run.
W
AG
Saban is smart

similar to DKR and Frank Broyles back in the day

once integration and scholarship limitations kicked in...in the early-to-mid-70's...

t.u. and Arkansas -- while still having good teams -- started losing more games to teams they used to dominate (A&M, Baylor, and eventually UH)
NewEra2023
AG
PA24 said:

1876er said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

Wrong

Landscape has changed completely, show me the money is now legal in college sports.

We are still A&M though
AgDotCom
Bonfire.1996 said:

I think what is happening here is the beginning of certain types of coaches leaving college football for the NFL or retiring altogether. Some just aren't going to F with it any longer, and coaching in the NFL is arguably more stable and predictable than college.
Stone44
AG
That's because neither one of them could coach on a level field and could not recruit the black players. Royal would give out 100 scholarships a year to players he knew would never step on the field for tu. He just didn't want to have to play against them. once they changed the scholarship limits, he was done. Barry Switzer knew how to recruit the black player and he is the reason Royal retired. Emery Bullard was coming on fast as well.
Sparkie
AG
Saban is saying Bama doesn't have the wealth of other schools, and he is out like grandma's teeth.

Smart considering his stint in the NFL.
Max Power
AG
I know it's not going to happen but with all the madness that NIL has created I've wondered if a good coach would get so fed up with this environment and go coach at one of the service academies. If Saban was a little bit younger and didn't want to deal with this anymore I'd love to see him at Army, Navy, or Air Force. It's one thing to beat everyone when you have one of the best rosters in all of football, it's another thing when you're coaching a team of guys who aren't going to be professional athletes. If one of these guys is as upset with this environment as they say then there are places they can go coach where NIL and perpetual transfers aren't part of their day to day concerns.

I'd love to see one successful coach go that route just to see what happens.
Sterling82
I don't think Saban felt like he lost his advantage as much as he couldn't see how to maintain a winning culture with the current transfer rules and NIL. How do you press guys to work hard building their skills? I'm not playing enough, no need to improve, just go somewhere else.
NyAggie
AG
Bonfire.1996 said:

I don't necessarily agree with this

I think he's old now and just doesn't want to deal with the mindset of todays players in the nil/portal world

Things were one way for almost all of his career and now they've changed drastically. He's done enough and he said I'm done with the crap I'm out

TAMUallen
AG
NyAggie said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

I don't necessarily agree with this

I think he's old now and just doesn't want to deal with the mindset of todays players in the nil/portal world

Things were one way for almost all of his career and now they've changed drastically. He's done enough and he said I'm done with the crap I'm out

Seems to me that is in agreement. The game changed. The NIL took away Saban's (well earned) easy ride. Yes, he's older but he'd rather coast away with a job still at alabama instead of the end of his legacy being a failure to keep up because of NIL issues.
Actual Talking Thermos
Prior to Bama, Saban's average tenure at a coaching gig was like 2.5 years. He was perfectly fine with moving on for money and opportunities. Now the players can do it and he's taking his ball and going home. Of course he doesn't like it. Just like he wanted to ban hurry up offenses when people figured out they could beat him that way.
milner79
PatAg said:

Jimbo, that you?
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Changes are needed or college coaches will generally burn out having to recruit in the fall, then re-recruit for the spring, then re-recruit all summer. Every year for every player. And if they are smart, recruiting throughout the year to keep on all the opportunities that are allowed.

However, if bama had the money; they likely could have hired 'consultants' to handle the money/NIL side so Saban didn't need to.

I don't buy the 'I can't sell our development for future model anymore' completely. If given similar numbers from multiple schools; good players will care about that stuff.
ashley
So many on here have a clue about college football in its current circumstances. Most of the coaches would go to the NFL if they had the chance. It's a mess and he's one with the money to get out.
Aston04
AG
Bama used to be able to recruit based upon having a brand with a self-fulfilling prophecy of winning.

Now players care less and less about that... Now, because of unlimited transfers, the player concern is now immediate playing time and money (NIL).

Bama has zero advantage on that. Those saying Bama "is here to stay" are foolish. It's the wild west. Good news for schools like A&M that have tons of money and not that built in brand advantage.

Saban saw the writing on the wall and cashed in his chips.

BigOil
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I think one of the biggest things to bear in mind is that this is one of the best money making opportunities of these guys' lives, and no degree or personal development is going to make them the kind of money that NIL will. Most aren't going into the NFL or making anything meaningful there. None are going to be pulling down huge amounts of money for basically nothing for the rest of their lives. They're going to be lucky to be making $50k-$70k after graduating and going into a normal job. NIL may also be more than a lot of their families have ever seen. It's really hard to blame an 18-22 year old for being concerned about it and wanting to take advantage while they can.
For basically nothing... other than concussions, broken bones, torn tendons
HECUBUS
AG
Everyone drops a truth bomb when they retire. Truth is the option of walking the earth as a free person outweighs the option of putting forth the effort to perform your job to the level needed for your personal standard.

Dude worked away too many of his remaining years. Most of us anonymous slackers will walk away a decade or more before he did. Poor dumb ******* paid a high price for being the goat. Jimbo gets the win.
Aggie87
AG
Max Power said:

I know it's not going to happen but with all the madness that NIL has created I've wondered if a good coach would get so fed up with this environment and go coach at one of the service academies. If Saban was a little bit younger and didn't want to deal with this anymore I'd love to see him at Army, Navy, or Air Force. It's one thing to beat everyone when you have one of the best rosters in all of football, it's another thing when you're coaching a team of guys who aren't going to be professional athletes. If one of these guys is as upset with this environment as they say then there are places they can go coach where NIL and perpetual transfers aren't part of their day to day concerns.

What would happen would be that coach would be like every other service academy coach. Mediocre results but with true student athletes, ones who have a non-NFL job commitment the day they graduate. Eventually they'd quit or move on.
Ag Tag
Max Power said:

Bill Parcells was one. He coached at the Air Force Academy
W
AG
DustysLineup said:

Quote:

Of course, but you can see his points. A player's value - and a program's value to the player - was presumed to be tied to future potential as a professional. What he's saying is that players now expect to be compensated as professionals just for being a college football player. Big difference.

And having to re-recruit your own roster every season is a big difference, and I'd imagine it's a big beatdown.
I think this is by far the #1 new headache for coaches
W
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

this is true

unfortunately, once a freshman or sophomore starts showing that he is not an NFL-caliber player...the NIL money will dry up.

the $50k or $100k he got for his first year and maybe second year...will not last long in the bank so to speak. Especially if his relatives want a piece of it
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.