Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

*****The Fightin' Dan Campbell's v. San Fran *****

22,461 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Houstonag
90ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2024/01/29/detroit-lions-loss-to-49ers-is-someones-fault-but-its-not-dan-campbell/
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Double Diamond
Both can be true that Dan Campbell has been great for the Lions and he helped lose the game last night. Dans reckless calls will be less cute if the lions continue to lose big games.
GoAgs92
AG
Eliminatus said:

GoAgs92 said:

Andy Reid was a dope for going for it on 4th down in the Chiefs

And Campbell was a dope for the same thing.

Good coaches make what turn out to be bad decisions all the time.

Meh the first one (going for it) was a lock if receiver didn't drop. The second one was a 48 yd attempt with a kicker that just doesn't have the record of making those. At all.

It was the wrong decision because that is what hindsight tells us but in the moment BEFORE we know the outcome, I fully understand the reasoning.

It wasn't the field goals. It was the defense not getting a stop in the second half. That's it. That's the loss reason right there. Everything else is a nuance to that. And the defense being suspect is not a secret in Detroit.
A bad decision is a bad decision the results are technically irrelevant…
mike_ags_fan12
Dan Gamble
Dark_Knight
AG
Ugh...didn't realize Shanahan was a sip
Bluto
AG
Quote:

The Lions' kicker, Michael Badgley, was cut by the team in the summer in favor of Riley Patterson. Only when Patterson began to struggle did they sign Badgley back to the practice squad and then elevate him to the active roster.

There's a reason Badgley was available to be signed in mid-December: He's not overly reliable.

Yes, he made an important kick in the win over the Rams, but that was in a dome in front of his home crowd. Badgley had more missed extra points during the regular season than field goal attempts longer than 40 yards.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3123052/michael-badgley
Reg Season (starting 12/16 for him)
100% on FG's, 4-4, LNG 41 in Dallas
86.7% XP, 13 - 15

Post Season
100% on FG's, 3-3, Dist 54, 23, 21, Lng in San Diego
100% XP, 11-11

Hard to paint him as a bad FG kicker since he came back, but his 100% made average is likely due in part to lack of attempts. I guess I could understand why Dan opted to go for it both times. But I still think not kicking the 1st one was an unnecessary risk at the time. Unfortunate that the pass was dropped.

Still a great season for them. And he has done for the Lions in just a few years what the Cowboys and Texans haven't done in 20+ years (don't know stat) in getting to this game. That says alot.

I really wanted to see them win, hence my criticism last night.
LB12Diamond
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Eliminatus said:

GoAgs92 said:

Andy Reid was a dope for going for it on 4th down in the Chiefs

And Campbell was a dope for the same thing.

Good coaches make what turn out to be bad decisions all the time.

Meh the first one (going for it) was a lock if receiver didn't drop. The second one was a 48 yd attempt with a kicker that just doesn't have the record of making those. At all.

It was the wrong decision because that is what hindsight tells us but in the moment BEFORE we know the outcome, I fully understand the reasoning.

It wasn't the field goals. It was the defense not getting a stop in the second half. That's it. That's the loss reason right there. Everything else is a nuance to that. And the defense being suspect is not a secret in Detroit.
A bad decision is a bad decision the results are technically irrelevant…

Did you just state the results are irrelevant. I guess I agree if its clearly a bad decision. But it's not clear bc as has been pointed out it's not like the field goals were in the automatic area. They were long with an average kicker.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
I wanted the Lions to win but clearly the talent level of these 2 teams made the difference. CMC is the best RB in the NFL and Purdy is significantly better than Goff. The Lions couldn't stop either Purdy nor CMC in the second half. yet it still took a miracle catch from Aiyuk and a very badly timed fumble from Gibbs to take 14 points off the lead.

Campbell still did a great job taking Detroit this far for the first time ever. They did better than Dallas and the same as the Texans in the playoffs.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

They did better than Dallas and the same as the Texans in the playoffs.
the texans made the league championship game? missed that news.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I am glad the San Francisco 49ers rallied from a 24-7 halftime deficit to defeat the Detroit Lions 34-31 in the NFC Championship Game. As a result, the 49ers will make their 8th Super Bowl appearance and 2nd in 5 years. There will be a Chiefs vs 49ers Super Bowl rematch from 4 years ago. I hope the 49ers beat the Chiefs this time to win a 6th Super Bowl championship, which would tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots for most Super Bowl wins.

After Dan Campbell started 4-19-1 (3-13-1 in 2021 and 1-6 start in 2022) in his first 24 games, he has gone 22-8 (8-2 finish in 2022, 12-5 in 2023 regular season, and 2-1 playoffs) since. He led the Detroit Lions to their first division title since 1993, first playoff win and NFC Championship Game appearance since 1991, and 2 playoff wins in a season for the first time since 1957. With Dan Campbell, the Lions' future will continue to be bright.
AggieOO
LincolnBorglum79 said:

Campbell still did a great job taking Detroit this far for the first time ever. They did better than Dallas and the same as the Texans in the playoffs.

the only part of this that is correct is that the lions did better than Dallas.
Bluto
AG
29 Years since the Cowboys, with all their resources, have played in a conference championship game.

Texans have never in 22 years played in a conference championship game.

The Detroit Lions have had a grand total of 7 winning seasons in the last 24 years. Dan has 2 of those 7 in the last 3 years taking them from 3-13 his first year to 3 years ago to the NFC Championship game this year and has the most wins in a season since 2000.

He's been able to do in 3 years what the Texans and Cowboys haven't done in a collective 50 years. Pretty impressive.
DamnGood86
AG
The guy that mows my grass thinks I made a mistake when I sold my company in 2016. He thinks I should have held three more years and sold in 2019, believing my company would have been worth more at that time due to tax law changes and economic growth.

The guy that trims my trees thinks the same.
Eliminatus
AG
Bluto said:

29 Years since the Cowboys, with all their resources, have played in a conference championship game.

The Detroit Lions have had a grand total of 7 winning seasons in the last 24 years. Dan has 2 of those 7 in the last 3 years taking them from 3-13 his first year to 3 years ago to the NFC Championship game this year and has the most wins in a season since 2000.

He's been able to do in 3 years what the Texans and Cowboys haven't done in a collective 50 years. Pretty impressive.

Dans redemption arc is incredible. He was actually a player on that 0-16 team and now had them in the NFCCG in three years of head coaching. And that team he took over was fundamentally broken in just bout every which way possible. He inherited which probably should have been a career ender for the vast majority of coaches and turned it into something Detroit can actually be proud of and I would even dare to say the underdog favorites of America.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Bluto said:

Wow when you put it like that……..

Shoulda kicked the field goal though…..
TMartin

Josh Reynold completely turned the Lions momentum over to San Francisco with dropped passes in crucial situations. There would most likely be no discussion about field goals if Reynolds could catch a football.
StinkyPinky
AG
TMartin said:

Josh Reynold completely turned the Lions momentum over to San Francisco with dropped passes in crucial situations. There would most likely be no discussion about field goals if Reynolds could catch a football.

Unfortunately I agree. Two big drops at that. Such a shame considering some of the highlight catches he made while at Kyle. Sad ending.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I am a huge NFL fan but get tired of the NBA anticipated foul like call of PI, and the complete lack of OPI ever being called other than on a pick/rub play.

On the long pass that Aiyuk caught, the back judge threw a flag for PI, and he was clearly going to call PI on the defense, but it was offensive PI that should have wiped that play result off. DBs 100% have a right to the ball, as much as the WR, and if the are interfered with in trying to catch the ball that is OPI.

On that play the Detroit DB was adjusting to the ball and was going to get an INT, when they both went to make a play on the ball Aiyuk contacts and pushes the DB before the ball arrives.. and that affected the DB and resulted in a ricochet instead of a catch/INT.

Anyway, don't have a problem with most of the 4th down calls by Dan Campbell, though I would have kicked the FG to go up to 27 points. However, coaching / Campbell decisions didn't lose the game. Several key drops and the fumble lost the game.

The 4th down "drop" by Reynolds was not a drop, that was a very hard catch to make, not a great throw. However Josh flat out dropped a key 3rd down play on a perfect throw, then he had another later.. St. Brown also had one in 2H that was a great pass that maybe you could say the DB knocked it lose but it should have been a catch. The Gibbs fumble was probably THE turning point.

HC can't catch the ball or not fumble the ball for the players. Bummer for Detroit and Dan Campbell, but they are elite and will be back in the playoffs for many seasons to come. They need upgrade at LB and DB, LB especially.
Slicer97
AG
Bluto said:

And this streak will continue until the owner fires the general manager.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Bluto said:

Dan Campbell went from 3-13-1 in his first year to 12-5 and NFC Championship Game appearance 2 years later. After Dan Campbell started 4-19-1 (3-13-1 in 2021 and 1-6 start in 2022) in his first 24 games, he has gone a remarkable 22-8 (8-2 finish in 2022, 12-5 in 2023 regular season, and 2-1 playoffs) since. Since 1996, every NFC team has made at least one NFC Championship Game appearance except for the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Commanders.

I am a 49ers fan, and I think Dan Campbell has done an impressive job, especially after a rough 4-19-1 start that would have destroyed most coaches. The Lions' patience with Dan Campbell has paid off, and they will be a perennial playoff team.
Dark_Knight
AG
The Facebook trash talk from the tshirts is why I can't stand longhorn fans
Frank Grimes
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

I am a huge NFL fan but get tired of the NBA anticipated foul like call of PI, and the complete lack of OPI ever being called other than on a pick/rub play.

On the long pass that Aiyuk caught, the back judge threw a flag for PI, and he was clearly going to call PI on the defense, but it was offensive PI that should have wiped that play result off. DBs 100% have a right to the ball, as much as the WR, and if the are interfered with in trying to catch the ball that is OPI.

On that play the Detroit DB was adjusting to the ball and was going to get an INT, when they both went to make a play on the ball Aiyuk contacts and pushes the DB before the ball arrives.. and that affected the DB and resulted in a ricochet instead of a catch/INT.

Anyway, don't have a problem with most of the 4th down calls by Dan Campbell, though I would have kicked the FG to go up to 27 points. However, coaching / Campbell decisions didn't lose the game. Several key drops and the fumble lost the game.

The 4th down "drop" by Reynolds was not a drop, that was a very hard catch to make, not a great throw. However Josh flat out dropped a key 3rd down play on a perfect throw, then he had another later.. St. Brown also had one in 2H that was a great pass that maybe you could say the DB knocked it lose but it should have been a catch. The Gibbs fumble was probably THE turning point.

HC can't catch the ball or not fumble the ball for the players. Bummer for Detroit and Dan Campbell, but they are elite and will be back in the playoffs for many seasons to come. They need upgrade at LB and DB, LB especially.
I agree on the OPI. I saw two obvious ones that should have been called on SF.
AgBandsman
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Bluto said:

Dan Campbell went from 3-13-1 in his first year to 12-5 and NFC Championship Game appearance 2 years later. After Dan Campbell started 4-19-1 (3-13-1 in 2021 and 1-6 start in 2022) in his first 24 games, he has gone a remarkable 22-8 (8-2 finish in 2022, 12-5 in 2023 regular season, and 2-1 playoffs) since. Since 1996, every NFC team has made at least one NFC Championship Game appearance except for the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Commanders.

I am a 49ers fan, and I think Dan Campbell has done an impressive job, especially after a rough 4-19-1 start that would have destroyed most coaches. The Lions' patience with Dan Campbell has paid off, and they will be a perennial playoff team.
Why didn't you just say "since 1995 every NFC team has made at least one NFC Championship Game apperance except the Commanders"?? Picked a funny year to exclude the Cowboys.
NewEra2023
AG
It's Josh Reynolds' fault. Unfortunately.
TyperWoods
the play with the uncalled OPI and incredible catch turned the game around.
Kraft Punk
Lmao @ blaming Dan

Reynolds & Gibbs are the reason the lions lost
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
AgBandsman said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

Bluto said:

Why didn't you just say "since 1995 every NFC team has made at least one NFC Championship Game apperance except the Commanders"?? Picked a funny year to exclude the Cowboys.
I said since 1996 because the Cowboys have not reached the NFC Championship Game appearance since winning the Super Bowl in 1995. The Cowboys won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years between 1992 to 1995, but they have not reached the NFC Championship Game since then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboys/comments/19cgy9v/dallas_and_washington_are_now_the_only_two_nfc/
Logos Stick
There were four things that contributed to the outcome in the second half: gambling on 4th, hands of stone by Detroit receivers, Purdy gashing Detroit with his legs, and luck by San Fran in the second half.

The only thing that would have changed the outcome is the receivers catching the balls.

They lost the game, not Campbell's River boat gambling.
Houstonag
AG
You are wrong. Execution is required. The fumble lost the game . By the way the Lions got there with aggressive calls.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.