Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Question regarding playoff games

2,464 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by TXAG 05
dixichkn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And yes I'm too lazy to look it up myself

We know that the Rose Bowl and the Sugar were the two designated semifinal games. Were the teams designated to play in them predetermined? I.e. 1 and 4 were always going to meet in the Rose and 2-3 to the Sugar? Or was that determined by ESiPN……..errrrrrr, "the committee" on conference final weekend?

TIA
Gaius Julius Bevo
The bigger bowls alternate as settings for the 3 playoff games. Yes, seeds 1-4 and 2-3 meet. Seedings are rankings as given by the selection committee.
JohnLA762
AG
If you're going to chime in, at least answer the man's question…
TXAG 05
AG
The location is determined by which is more advantageous for the #1 seed. Michigan has a history either the rose bowl, plus the sugar bowl would have basically been a home game for Bama
dixichkn
AG
dixichkn
AG
I think you Ags know where I'm going with this……..but I'd like an honest answer before I go there. In case I'm wrong. Which happens occasionally.
TXAG 05
AG
Could you enlighten us?
Win At Life
AG
dixichkn said:

I think you Ags know where I'm going with this……..but I'd like an honest answer before I go there. In case I'm wrong. Which happens occasionally.

No. I don't know where you are going with this.
Aggie Dad Sip
dixichkn said:

Careful. Texas used their immense power and influence over all things college football to get the "Sip Fanbase" thread deleted.
tk for tu juan
Pretty easy choice to put Michigan vs Bama in the Rose Bowl for any body with a sense of ratings and money
greg.w.h
AG
#1 seed is given a more favorable locale if possible. The historic Rose Bowl tie to Big Ten and effectively defunct Pac-12 determined the assignment I believe. I would have put Washington at 4 and made them play each other but Bama Texas repeat is not good TV.
The Gainesville Taco Casa
dixichkn said:

Seriously bro?

The 1 seed gets to pick which location they want. Michigan picked the Rose because a.) they have a history with the Rose Bowl and b.) picking the Sugar would have been an advantage for Alabama fans.

So yes, what you're thinking is 100% wrong. Just use more critical thinking before going the conspiracy route, that's all.
bowhuntr
We have people on here that really think the committee would first think about the most advantageous path for texas when setting up bowl locations?
tk for tu juan
bowhuntr said:

We have people on here that really think the committee would first think about the most advantageous path for texas when setting up bowl locations?
Welcome to the Zoo where some posters obsess over the longhorns and fully buy into the BOMC
dixichkn
AG
Win At Life said:

dixichkn said:

When was the last time sip had to play a bowl game outside of an easy drive from Austin? Every one is a virtual home game. That's where I'm going with this. New Orleans and potentially Houston?

How convenient.

That's why I wanted to know. Was 2 vs 3 automatically locked in for the Sugar or was it decided that weekend?

If it is legitimately as simple as "#1 gets their choice" then that's all I needed to know.
BMX Bandit
So you think Michigan would prefer to play Bama in Pasadena or New Orleans?
htxag09
AG
dixichkn said:

Win At Life said:

dixichkn said:

When was the last time sip had to play a bowl game outside of an easy drive from Austin? Every one is a virtual home game. That's where I'm going with this. New Orleans and potentially Houston?

How convenient.

That's why I wanted to know. Was 2 vs 3 automatically locked in for the Sugar or was it decided that weekend?

It was actually supposed to be the fiesta bowl this year for the playoff game and Florida for the championship game. But when Texas was announced as the 3 seed the ncaa did everything they could to make the path easier for them.
Aggie Dad Sip
dixichkn said:

Win At Life said:

dixichkn said:

How convenient.

All you gotta do is play mediocre football for 14 years and you can play as many Alamo and Texas Bowls as you want. Hell, every once in a while you can go to Phoenix or San Diego.
bowhuntr
"Mom, please check with me before freaking out over the email forward from your friends."
spherical
AG
dixichkn said:

Whenever the Ags get a bowl close to home, we complain that it's boring…
Bigun57
You are stupid
Kenneth_2003
AG
dixichkn said:

Win At Life said:

dixichkn said:

How convenient.

If it is legitimately as simple as "#1 gets their choice" then that's all I needed to know.

You're way over selling their recent bowl trips to San Antonio.

Take a Xanax or something and step away from the tinfoil. This year's bowl seeding isn't some grand conspiracy to benefit tu.
TXAG 05
AG
dixichkn said:

Win At Life said:

dixichkn said:

How convenient.

Learn how the bowls work, it's not a conspiracy.

The Sugar Bowl, in years when it isn't a playoff game, gets the Big12 champ vs the SEC champ, or runner up of the champ is in the playoffs. In 2019, OU won the Big12 and made the playoffs. Texas was the runner up, so they automatically went to the Sugar vs UGA. The Alamo Bowl, which is a good bowl, despite what some people on here think, gets the next best Big12 team after the playoffs/sugar, like last year, TCU went to the playoffs, KState went to Sugar, and 3rd place Texas went to Alamo.

Although I'm sure ESPN has a time machine and knew Texas would make the playoffs this year and that's why they picked Houston to host the title game.
tk for tu juan
Yeah, the long con started way back in 2017 when Houston was selected to be the CFP champ host, knowing that in 2023 the horns would be hand selected to play in the CFP no matter what their record was. Come on guys can't you see it?
TXAG 05
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Yeah, the long con started way back in 2017 when Houston was selected to be the CFP champ host, knowing that in 2023 the horns would be hand selected to play in the CFP no matter what their record was. Come on guys can't you see it?

Sadly, I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that believe that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.