Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new reality of Aggie football being a playoff team

10,436 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by EliteZags
Farmersfight87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering our schedule, we should be able to.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
AceAggie05 said:

petebaker said:

The new reality of Aggie football being a playoff teamWith the new playoff 12 teams in 2024 making the playoffs is Aggie football's new identity

Kamala Harris is an Aggie fan?!?!

Brutal !!!!!

uujm
HoustonAg2106 said:

How often have we finished in the top 12 the last 20 years? Twice?

2012 and 2020 are the only ones that come to mind

It isn't the top 12 teams. It is the top 6 conference champs and then whoever they decide the next 6 teams should be.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
If we finish 10-2, we will have a good chance of making the College Football Playoffs. Our toughest games against Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, and Missouri are at home, and all 4 road games at Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, and South Carolina are winnable. With a favorable home/away schedule, think we will probably finish between 8-4 and 10-2. We have lost 10 consecutive road games, dating back to a 29-19 loss at Ole Miss on 11/13/2021. I hope we win at Florida on 9/14/2024 to snap a 10-game road losing streak.
Notjavlane
12thMan9 said:

lagoag said:

OP, think these thoughts out in your head before you make a thread. And double check what you're actually typing. It might more sense. And then it might make you stop.

Now do people who respond.
derp! 12 man! derp! gigem! derp! whoop! ####derp

derp you very much!
1876er
AG
Dale Gribble said:

10-2 will get you in. Question is can we do that?

We've done it once this century. I'd imagine we'll do it again next century.
OrygunAg
AG
We are not a perennial playoff team. Using yesterday's weather principle I'd see us getting in once a decade or so. Yeah this sucks but let's live in reality.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Iraq2xVeteran said:

If we finish 10-2, we will have a good chance of making the College Football Playoffs. Our toughest games against Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, and Missouri are at home, and all 4 road games at Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, and South Carolina are winnable. With a favorable home/away schedule, think we will probably finish between 8-4 and 10-2. We have lost 10 consecutive road games, dating back to a 29-19 loss at Ole Miss on 11/13/2021. I hope we win at Florida on 9/14/2024 to snap a 10-game road losing streak.

this is a very fair observation and i would say the hope or expectation for a lot of fans. high side playoff berth low side a better bowl than this season.
Hehateme1
Go away sip

Flagged
AWP 97
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Unless the playoffs expand to Top 30-40, the Aggies aren't going to make it. We haven't finished in the Top 25 in three years.
AGDAD14
In our good years, we will be a bubble team that gets left out 70% of the time.
91AggieLawyer
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

This is true. But take a look at who else was in the probable top 12 in 2012 (second to last poll, which is what would be picked from):

-- Florida
-- Stanford
-- South Carolina

None of those three are anywhere near getting to a playoff. Florida is likely farther away than we are. Or, if they're not, than neither are we. Just because Florida did it with Meyer, Tebow, or Spurrier means nothing. USC did it with Carrol, Robinson, and McKay. None of those guys are available for ANY school.

KState was also in there, and I'd argue they're also farther away than we are as well.

Everyone is focused SOLELY on past results. I get that and you obviously can't ignore it. And if we don't change how we do things, the results won't change. But if we do, we've got a far better upside than either Florida or KState and the other two programs on there are just way behind us. Stanford is laughable right now to the point of I wonder how long they'll even keep football. (Probably a while but I'm sure the topic will be discussed).

Bottom line: look at things dynamically rather than statically.

(2020 was admittedly a weird year, but that top 12 included Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, Iowa State and potentially even BYU or Northwestern. Everyone on that list would change places with us in a heartbeat. You can't rule out another "weird" series of events. We have to be ready to pounce.)
TexAggie1999
NyAggie said:

Flashdiaz said:

there needs to be NIL incentives to making it to the playoffs like there is for coaches.

And nil incentives for those who don't opt out of post season games
You guys do realize that NIL is NOT payment for playing? In reality, all teams cheat and it really is pay-for-play, but it is not supposed to be and no one is going to have a contract that specifically violates NCAA rules.

The NCAA rules indicate student-athletes cannot receive compensation for their athletic performance or participation, such as payment for wins, statistics, or playing time. They also cannot receive compensation for attending a particular college or university, either directly or indirectly.

northeastag
AG
I'm at 45 years as an Aggie now (Freshman year '79), and I've gotten to the "who cares?" point. Even in the rare year where we somehow manage to get in (and that will be a rare year indeed), we'll most likely get smoked in the first round anyway. Seed the playoffs with as many teams as March madness, and we still ain't winning it all.

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and try to enjoy the games.
AggieDub04
AG
You don't have much experience in writing contracts do you?

Can't require someone to go to A&M? Cool, simply require several live meetings in the fall in college station as part of the contract.

Can't require someone to play in the bowl game? Offer a bonus if they represent your product during a nationally televised game in December or January.

Etc., etc., etc.
StinkyPinky
AG
I think Pete is Baked
TxAg76
AG
Ag Tag said:

This stupid **** again??
TexasAggiesWin
S
TxAg76 said:

Ag Tag said:

This stupid **** again??
TxAg76
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

TxAg76 said:

Ag Tag said:

This stupid **** again??

This stupid **** again??
EliteZags
AG
TxAg76 said:

TexasAggiesWin said:

TxAg76 said:

Ag Tag said:

This stupid **** again??

This stupid **** again??
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.