Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Ryan Swope the GOAT A&M WR?

7,036 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by NoahAg
leardriver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bobby Joe Conrad had a great pro career. Different era, sure.
Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
aeon-ag
Andrew Dufresne said:

I think so.

Still, I know others won't agree so I'd like to see your input on where you think he belongs on the all time list.

I'd imagine he's consensus Top 3 at least.
might rate #10
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

1. Mike Evans
2. Jeff Fuller
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Albert Connell
5. Robert Ferguson
-

Was waiting to see Ferguson. Good one that I wish we had longer.

Edit. Missed the much earlier reference in thread.
BartInLA
I'm not super qualified but I always thought VERY highly of Swope (tough as nails and a playmaker) but I saw him as a tight end. Educate me.
DW91AG95
AG
I'm curious how Swope would have ranked on these list if he would have had a Josh Reynolds type pro career...
Batman96
I think this is really good point and I also think that some people may be forgetting that Swope had *ELITE* speed. He clocked a 4.34 at the NFL combine. Almost exactly what Achane hit. For the combative woke people on here, I am not saying that Swope is faster than Achane or as fast. I am just saying he had elite NFL speed.

Adding combine video link.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
BartInLA said:

I'm not super qualified but I always thought VERY highly of Swope (tough as nails and a playmaker) but I saw him as a tight end. Educate me.

Tight ends don't run 4.3 40's, are generally 6'3" and taller, block primarily and receive secondarily. They line up - as their name suggests - on the end of the offensive line (usually in a three point stance).

Swope was a slot receiver. Completely different position/function of the offense, and only pass blocked on one-off specialty plays if ever.

Germaine to the OP, he was easily one of the top 3 Aggie WR's of all time, both statistically and in terms of heart and passion.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
htxag09
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

PeekingDuck said:

Fuller also put up a whole bunch of TDs. He remains underrated by Aggies, imo. No one really talks about him.

He was good, but his senior year, where he got a case of the dropsies, hurt his legacy a little.
I may be misremembering or being a little harsh....but I feel like he was good for a couple drops that were absolute drive killers every game. When I think of him, especially his senior year, I think of him hurting us more than helping us.
HTownAg
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Fuller also put up a whole bunch of TDs. He remains underrated by Aggies, imo. No one really talks about him.
Good point. Was at A&M the same time as his father, who was a beast in the secondary.
schmellba99
AG
jrgypsum said:

Robert Ferguson says hey
This guy was a man among boys in the 1 year he played here. Man, I'd loved to have seen him for a couple of more years.

Shame his pro career was cut short, he was looking to be a hell of a pro before he hurt his neck.
schmellba99
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Fuller would be in the discussion, but he absolutely crapped the bed his senior year. Cost him a legit shot at being drafted, and he wasn't able to make the cut in the pros.

His junior year, he was among the best receivers in the country.
schmellba99
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

1. Mike Evans
2. Robert Ferguson
3. Ryan Swope
4. Albert Connell
5a. Kristian Kirk
5b. Josh Reynolds
-

This is strictly based on their performance at A&M and their ability to change a game or how a defense operates
Hubert J. Farnsworth
htxag09 said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

PeekingDuck said:

He was good, but his senior year, where he got a case of the dropsies, hurt his legacy a little.
I may be misremembering or being a little harsh....but I feel like he was good for a couple drops that were absolute drive killers every game. When I think of him, especially his senior year, I think of him hurting us more than helping us.

You aren't misremembering. His senior year he looked like he wasn't focused at all and he hurt the team.
AgCanuck07
AG
Mike Evans.
Vegas
Ag in Tiger Country said:

Connell had some MAJOR drops though, as Colorado & K-State come to mind; he was indeed great & was clearly all world in many Ags' eyes but primarily b/c Slocum hadn't tried the forward pass up to that point (sarcasm). Still, he isn't in my top 5.

My Top 5 are Evans, Swope, Reynolds, & Kirk in that order; I'd love to have Stewart in there too if he stays an Aggie & has a chance to perform to his potential.

IMO, Swope was simply incredible, especially with Johnny at the helm. Kirk is fantastic & Reynolds was Mr. Clutch alongside big game performances when we needed a spark the most, but Evans was & is THE GOAT. He went beast mode more than any of these guy with insane production that helped win a Heisman.

Notwithstanding any of the aforesaid- none can top Swope's tough reception against Bama down the sideline when he got 'ear-holed', and him defiantly signaling first down was nails!!!

FWIW Cole & Ferguson are in my Top 10, maybe even T-Murph too.
Agree. If memory serves, if Connell would not have dropped one pass in particular against CU, the fortunes of that year's team and decades afterwards would be dramatically better. Rod Harris and Shea Walker were almost automatic , especially in the middle of the field. Most of our Tight Ends could catch ... Rod Bernstein comes to mind.
waco_aggie05
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

PeekingDuck said:

Mike Evans, Josh Reynolds, and Christian Kirk did way more against elite talent. Tony Harrison and Rod Harris have outlier numbers as well, but against lesser talent. Terrence Murphy did a lot on some very bad teams. I think Evans is the obvious first choice. Probably Reynolds after that. I'm not sure Swope makes my top 10. But he's right there.

How did Harris & Harrison play against 'lesser talent'? Harris in particular played when the SWC was still good and the OOC schedule was LSU, Nebraska, Okie St w/ Barry Sanders, Don James Washimgton, Alabama, bowl games vs Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc.

Evams is the answer, BUT the guys that played 20-40 years ago did so when defenses could actually still defend, LB's & S's could headhunt. CB's could make contact all over the field. Talent was more equally dispersed between offense & defense because of that vs today where most of the roster talent is on offense.
Barry Sanders played both ways?
carl spacklers hat
revvie said:

Nope. Mike Evans hands down the best.
E.O.T.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
CrockerAg98
AG
So far, y'all have all missed the boat.

The GOAT is Matt MFing Bumgardner.

Without him, no Big 12 Championship.
NoahAg
schmellba99 said:

jrgypsum said:

Robert Ferguson says hey
This guy was a man among boys in the 1 year he played here. Man, I'd loved to have seen him for a couple of more years.

Shame his pro career was cut short, he was looking to be a hell of a pro before he hurt his neck.
A beast indeed. Unfortunately he played in a boring, lethargic offense. He was our only offensive threat. Crazy that he still have over 800 receiving yards. His numbers would have been insane in the Sumlin era.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.