Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Ryan Swope the GOAT A&M WR?

7,030 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by NoahAg
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think so.

Still, I know others won't agree so I'd like to see your input on where you think he belongs on the all time list.

I'd imagine he's consensus Top 3 at least.
revvie
AG
Nope. Mike Evans hands down the best.
Faustus
Andrew Dufresne said:

I think so.

Still, I know others won't agree so I'd like to see your input on where you think he belongs on the all time list.

No one has more receiving yards in A&M history like no one has more passing yards than Mond. Playing 4 years helps, and Evans fell around 500 yards and 7 TDs short in his two years. If he played at the same level his upperclassmen years as he did as a Freshman and Sophomore he'd have close to 2k more yards than Swope's 3.1k.

Even Tannehill's first two years at WR had him on pace to be within 200 yards of Swope's record before he took over at QB.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-am/receiving.html
MisterJones
AG
Ryan Tannehill gets my vote
PeekingDuck
AG
Mike Evans, Josh Reynolds, and Christian Kirk did way more against elite talent. Tony Harrison and Rod Harris have outlier numbers as well, but against lesser talent. Terrence Murphy did a lot on some very bad teams. I think Evans is the obvious first choice. Probably Reynolds after that. I'm not sure Swope makes my top 10. But he's right there.
45-70Ag
AG
Albert Connell.

jrgypsum
Robert Ferguson says hey
QB1
AG
jrgypsum said:

Robert Ferguson says hey

This

And didn't he punch Denver Harris or someone for messing with his daughter? Double bonus pts for that
ValleyRatAg
AG
He punched Demond Demas if I member right.
JROD9398
The word "clutch" comes to mind for Ferguson and Connell. Like when we really really needed a first down or in the case of SMU game--touchdown in back of end zone.
Win At Life
AG
Sam Williams
AgDotCom
ValleyRatAg said:

He punched Demond Demas if I member right.
He should have punched both of them.
StonewallAggieDEFENSE
Those are all great choices, but I'm partial to Richard Osborne who made the great plays at the right time.
Scotty Appleton
PeekingDuck said:

Mike Evans, Josh Reynolds, and Christian Kirk did way more against elite talent. Tony Harrison and Rod Harris have outlier numbers as well, but against lesser talent. Terrence Murphy did a lot on some very bad teams. I think Evans is the obvious first choice. Probably Reynolds after that. I'm not sure Swope makes my top 10. But he's right there.

How did Harris & Harrison play against 'lesser talent'? Harris in particular played when the SWC was still good and the OOC schedule was LSU, Nebraska, Okie St w/ Barry Sanders, Don James Washimgton, Alabama, bowl games vs Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc.

Evams is the answer, BUT the guys that played 20-40 years ago did so when defenses could actually still defend, LB's & S's could headhunt. CB's could make contact all over the field. Talent was more equally dispersed between offense & defense because of that vs today where most of the roster talent is on offense.
spherical
AG
~ if mercy falls upon the broken and the poor, dear Father, I will see you there on distant shores...
PeekingDuck
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

How did Harris & Harrison play against 'lesser talent'

I'm sorry to say it, but that's just the truth of it. The SWC was mostly garbage. You can see it born out with their NFL careers. Or lack thereof…
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Connell had some MAJOR drops though, as Colorado & K-State come to mind; he was indeed great & was clearly all world in many Ags' eyes but primarily b/c Slocum hadn't tried the forward pass up to that point (sarcasm). Still, he isn't in my top 5.

My Top 5 are Evans, Swope, Reynolds, & Kirk in that order; I'd love to have Stewart in there too if he stays an Aggie & has a chance to perform to his potential.

IMO, Swope was simply incredible, especially with Johnny at the helm. Kirk is fantastic & Reynolds was Mr. Clutch alongside big game performances when we needed a spark the most, but Evans was & is THE GOAT. He went beast mode more than any of these guy with insane production that helped win a Heisman.

Notwithstanding any of the aforesaid- none can top Swope's tough reception against Bama down the sideline when he got 'ear-holed', and him defiantly signaling first down was nails!!!

FWIW Cole & Ferguson are in my Top 10, maybe even T-Murph too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

How did Harris & Harrison play against 'lesser talent'? Harris in particular played when the SWC was still good and the OOC schedule was LSU, Nebraska, Okie St w/ Barry Sanders, Don James Washimgton, Alabama, bowl games vs Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc.
Well I thought I'd be the first to point this out - checks post immediately above - well, the second to point this out, that the groupthink is that the SWC was hot garbage in those years and therefore any and all wins during those years don't really mean anything.

I don't agree with that take, just pointing it out.
#FJB
Andrew Dufresne
revvie said:

Nope. Mike Evans hands down the best.

I heard that when they were both getting inducted into the A&M FB HOF that Swope said that Evans was the best WR in A&M history. Evans then turned around after accepting the award and said no, you(Swope) are the best WR in A&M history.

I wasn't there so if anyone reading this was and can corroborate, I'd appreciate it.
PeekingDuck
AG
It was a regional (state?) conference with a few functional teams. To compare it to numbers put up in the SEC and especially the SEC west is silly. Competition matters and data doesn't lie. That's not to say there weren't great players and very good teams during the those years, but no one is taking either of those guys against Evans, Reynolds, or Kirk when money is on the line.
Aggie
AG
jrgypsum said:

Robert Ferguson says hey

I agree with this, unfortunate he was only here for 1 year and missed last few games with an injury

People have to remember that up until the late 90's big time receivers typically didn't come to A&M because our offense wasn't pass oriented.
Albert Connell was really the first Big time wide receiver we got as a JC transfer in 1995.
At the time He was only the 3rd wide receiver from A&M to be drafted in the previous 12 years along with Shane Garrett (1991)and Rod Harris (1989)
agracer
AG
Faustus said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

I think so.

No one has more receiving yards in A&M history like no one has more passing yards than Mond. Playing 4 years helps, and Evans fell around 500 yards and 7 TDs short in his two years. If he played at the same level his upperclassmen years as he did as a Freshman and Sophomore he'd have close to 2k more yards than Swope's 3.1k.

Even Tannehill's first two years at WR had him on pace to be within 200 yards of Swope's record before he took over at QB.

How did Jeff Fuller not get drafted?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
agracer said:

Faustus said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

I think so.

How did Jeff Fuller not get drafted?

He had a rough senior year. Lots of drops, as I recall, and fewer yards and touchdowns compared to his junior year. There were rumors of him choosing to put his time into things other than football his senior year.
Scotty Appleton
PeekingDuck said:

It was a regional (state?) conference with a few functional teams. To compare it to numbers put up in the SEC and especially the SEC west is silly. Competition matters and data doesn't lie. That's not to say there weren't great players and very good teams during the those years, but no one is taking either of those guys against Evans, Reynolds, or Kirk when money is on the line.

You just described most conferences back then and you conveniently left out the part about OOC schedules & bowl opponents being typically much tougher.

I already said Evans should be first, but let's see Kirk try and run free with a CB shoving him all over the field and a LB slamming a forearm in his facemask if he dared to run a slant over the middle. Different game back then when targeting rules didn't neuter the defense.

Players didn't have designer SARMs, Peptides to "help" either.
PeekingDuck
AG
Uhh, no the Big 8, Big 10, SEC, PAC… not primarily one state conferences.
Buford T. Justice
AG
1. Mike Evans
2. Jeff Fuller
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Albert Connell
5. Robert Ferguson
-
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Swope was a really good receiver. No one comes close to topping Mike Evans though when it comes to who is the best A&M WR ever. Evans is probably the best A&M football player ever.
Batman96
Buford T. Justice said:

1. Mike Evans
2. Jeff Fuller
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Albert Connell
5. Robert Ferguson
-

I loved Connell but when we played tu Westbrook really ate his lunch. Nobody eats Robert Ferguson's lunch.

1. Mike Evans
2. Ryan Swope
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Jeff Fuller
5. Robert Ferguson

Seems to me there's a lot of people in this thread forgetting that Swope had *Elite* Speed.
74AnimalA
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Swope was a really good receiver. No one comes close to topping Mike Evans though when it comes to who is the best A&M WR ever. Evans is probably the best A&M football player ever.
DEFINITION: Best A&M... Is this JUST at A&M?
Or While AT A&M PLUS after Leaving A&M?

I would have loved to see what Swope could have done in the NFL. And we don't know how many games/plays he missed from those concussions.
spherical
AG
Aggie said:

jrgypsum said:

Robert Ferguson says hey

I agree with this, unfortunate he was only here for 4 months and missed last few games with an injury

FIFY
~ if mercy falls upon the broken and the poor, dear Father, I will see you there on distant shores...
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
PeekingDuck
AG
Fuller also put up a whole bunch of TDs. He remains underrated by Aggies, imo. No one really talks about him.
Batman96
Epicaggie said:

Batman96 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

1. Mike Evans
2. Jeff Fuller
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Albert Connell
5. Robert Ferguson
-

I loved Connell but when we played tu Westbrook really ate his lunch. Nobody eats Robert Ferguson's lunch.

1. Mike Evans
2. Ryan Swope
3. Terrance Murphy
4. Jeff Fuller
5. Robert Ferguson

Seems to me there's a lot of people in this thread forgetting that Swope had *Elite* Speed.

It's hard for me to list any of our pre Fuller WRs in the top 5 since he was our first 1k yard receiver.

1. Big Mike
2. Swope
3. Reynolds
4. Fuller
5. Kirk

Sheesh. Can't believe I left Kirk off my list. I like this one better than mine but I think I would put Kirk above Reynolds. His punt & kick off return success was outstanding as well.

1. Mike
2. Swope
3. Kirk
4. Fuller
5. Reynolds
Hubert J. Farnsworth
PeekingDuck said:

Fuller also put up a whole bunch of TDs. He remains underrated by Aggies, imo. No one really talks about him.

He was good, but his senior year, where he got a case of the dropsies, hurt his legacy a little.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.