Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why Elijah not offered?

7,417 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by agpetz
Redfishag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any insight into why E Robinson wasn't offered the Def coordinator job? This feels like it could be a misstep considering how much the players like and respect him. Elko just didn't think he was ready?

I like the Elko hire based on everything I've read about him...really smart, players like him, organized, success at a very difficult place. I would have thought Robinson had the necessary experience to be D coordinator.
Bill Superman
AG
The zoo had him ready to be HC, but not DC. Go figure.
TX_Aggie37
AG
The assumption is Elko has a plan and didn't think Elijah was ready to take over control of a defense. Until proven wrong on the field I am choosing to trust Elko's judgement despite the potential short term fallout.
DroflaAG
AG
Move on. The deal is already done, and Robinson has already been replaced.
No point on speculating on what could have been.

We will lose guys to the portal and we will get guys from the portal.
If Elko didn't think E Rob could handle DC, he is probably right.
Gyles Marrett
I trust Elko's judgement if he didn't think Elijah was ready to call plays as a DC...

That being said, I know we offered him to be the highest paid assistant in the country. But what we don't know is title. Last season he had the title of Associate Head Coach, Co-DC, DL Coach. If his role under Elko was just going to be DL coach, even with the massive pay bump, I could see that feeling like a slap in the face and appear on a resume like a demotion.
a.froman
AG
Hate to say it but Elijah might not have been to great at X's and O's. There is a reason no other Power 5 programs have been calling him. Look even this year his best offer was Syracuse to be a DC. Maybe everyone is wrong but it says something
Sarge 77
Bill Superman said:

Would you rather have had Jimbo as just a Head coach or just an OC?

I was fine with Erob as head coach and delegate. Let the OC and DC call the plays.
I was not ready for him to be the play caller.
aTm2004
AG
Let's see...I'm going to assume the guy that has been a DC for 8 years at 3 different P5 schools (including the coveted Notre Dame) and proven himself to be one of the elites, who was also a HC at a P5 school probably saw limitations or lack of experience us on TA see.
Guy12
I think most OCs and DCs at major programs already have experience doing the same thing at other programs. Elko probably didn't want to take a risk on a first-time DC, I'd guess it takes experience to do it well.

How many times have you seen Saban/Smart grab OCs/DCs from other programs instead of promoting from within?
Aston04
AG
a.froman said:

Hate to say it but Elijah might not have been to great at X's and O's. There is a reason no other Power 5 programs have been calling him. Look even this year his best offer was Syracuse to be a DC. Maybe everyone is wrong but it says something
this. Elko knows erob well. Speaks for itself.

ElephantRider
AG
aTm2004 said:

Let's see...I'm going to assume the guy that has been a DC for 8 years at 3 different P5 schools (including the coveted Notre Dame) and proven himself to be one of the elites, who was also a HC at a P5 school probably saw limitations or lack of experience us on TA see.
This. Elko is a defensive guy. If he didn't think Elijah was ready, we have to trust his judgement. Hate to see E-Rob go, but it is what it is
TyperWoods
Because Elko thinks another option would be better.
NoahAg
I heard Elijah parked in Elko's spot.
themissinglink
AG
Defensive coordinator is a very different position than DL coach. The role of DC heavily involves analyzing opposing offenses and implementing a scheme. The role of DL coach is developing DL technical abilities, implementing the DCs scheme for the DL, and recruiting.

i have no idea whether ERob can handle the role of DC and it's a pretty big risk to hire a first time DC in the SEC. ERob has been run-game defensive coordinator since last year. Our run D was trash last year but improved this year. I suspect any issues were due to Durkin/personnel and the title gave him minimal new responsibilities, but only data points we have to go by.
Flashdiaz
AG
ERob needs DC experience at a smaller school first. It was a good business decision for him to go get his initial experience somewhere else. Who knows, he may light it up in a couple of years and we may be in the market for a DC then.
dbangZip95
AG
Elko is a well-seasoned and highly respected DC and now has proven he can be the HC.
As talented as ERob is with the line, and may be in other aspects, I can see where Elko would want to have a seasoned veteran as a DC, esp. his 1st year in the big chair. He also knows ERob well, and values him as a line coach and recruiter as evidenced by the salary offer he gave.

I'll trust Elko's decision. Not that he called and asked for my opinion on the matter...
JJxvi
AG
How many defensive line coaches could anybody even name? Would anybody even get to 10? If we did it two or three years ago would anybody among our own fans have even actually been able to name Elijah Robinson? Doubtful except the nerdiest of the recruiting nerds. The idea that there are assistant coaches that are so important as to be irreplaceable to the big programs is just recruitnik hallucination. One leaves, find another one.
P.U.T.U
AG
Robinson never called plays before and doubt he wanted to be a DC that didn't call plays. He has a relationship with Brown and he gets the chance to be signal caller for a smaller conference. As soon as Robinson leaves Elko signs a 50 something year old DL coach that is a good east coast recruiter.

If you look at it from a financial viewpoint I don't think it is worth signing at $1.5mm+ DC that doesn't call plays. I like Robinson but not worth the cost for someone that may be worth a darn calling plays and now we have one of the most expensive position coaches in America. Also the reason I think Durkin goes unless he takes a paycut
TXAGBQ76
AG
He was offered $1.5-1.7M to be the highest paid position coach in college football.
TxAg76
AG
Wasn't chaotic enough
Burnsey
AG
How do we know he wasn't offered? I heard he was offered big money but wanted Syracuse instead.
TXAGBQ76
AG
If you listened to his Thanksgiving talked about growing in Camden and how the big high rivalry game always played before the big meals. Then later it was revealed that Coach Brown was his lifelong friend, how they played ball together in high school (and maybe college), and maybe they've coached together before. By heading to SU he gets to work with his friend, get closer to home, etc. the deck may have been stacked against us. I'm opinion, the only way he was staying was as HC. I'm pretty sure SU didn't come close to what we offered money wise.
Bill Superman
AG
Sarge 77 said:

Bill Superman said:

Would you rather have had Jimbo as just a Head coach or just an OC?

I was fine with Erob as head coach and delegate. Let the OC and DC call the plays.
I was not ready for him to be the play caller.
This is going to be Elko's defensive scheme. I was good with E Rob getting DC and making calls.
Barnacle
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

The assumption is Elko has a plan and didn't think Elijah was ready to take over control of a defense. Until proven wrong on the field I am choosing to trust Elko's judgement despite the potential short term fallout.

I just hope this means Elko knows he's going to be landing a fantastic DC. I really don't wanna' be sitting here in 2 years wondering why we let ERob walk for some mediocre dude.
TyperWoods
TXAGBQ76 said:

If you listened to his Thanksgiving talked about growing in Camden and how the big high rivalry game always played before the big meals. Then later it was revealed that Coach Brown was his lifelong friend, how they played ball together in high school (and maybe college), and maybe they've coached together before. By heading to SU he gets to work with his friend, get closer to home, etc. the deck may have been stacked against us. I'm opinion, the only way he was staying was as HC. I'm pretty sure SU didn't come close to what we offered money wise.

especially when you consider the state tax he will be paying
AGDAD14
Just another of many indicators that Bjork didn't have his ducks in a row before making a rash decision.
warrington74
AG
Probably different philosophies
Scotty Appleton
It is quite simple.

The backgrounds & specialty of the DC's at the competition & other top defenses

Bama's DC - LB coach
both of the sips DC's - LB coaches
Michigan DC - DB coach
Georgia DC's - LB's & S's
Iowa DC - DB's
Ohio St DC - LB
Penn St - LB
Florida St - LB
Notre Dame - LB
Washington - LB
Oregon - LB
Clemson - LB

Notice a trend? Between CFB & NFL rosters I would guess < 5% of DC's have DL backgrounds. Good for Robinson that his friend hooked him up, but Elko did the right thing.
SeptimusW
Leaked transcript of the interview:

E-rob: I'd like to stay but only if I can be DC since as you know I have other offers.

Elko: Absolutely! I know you were doing great work before I left. Tell me what have you learned and how have you grown since then?

E-rob: Yes I had learned quite a bit from you but since DJ has been here he has instilled the power of the 3 man rush with all of us.

Elko: [picks up phone] Betty… can you cancel all internal interviews? - Thanks for your time Elijah… good luck at Syracuse.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep. They're both from Camden, and coached together at Temple and Baylor.

Wish everyone could just wish him well in his new gig instead of fishing for negative remarks (like the OP).
Slicer97
AG
Could be that Elko said "You're not ready to call a defense in the SEC yet. So you can stay and be the highest paid position coach in the country. Or, you can go with your friend, cut your teeth at DC in a less demanding environment, get some experience, and if it goes well, I'll call you when my DC hires leaves for a HC job in a few years."

I don't know that for sure, but it could be that ERob wants to climb the ranks and that wasn't going to happen here on his timeline.

But coaching DL is a very different job than calling a whole defense.

Just be glad Santucci isn't coming back to coach our linebackers.
Scotty Appleton
You do realize that the most pivotal play of Duke's season was Notre Dame's 4th and like 20 conversion when Duke decided to stop blitzing and sent 3? ND converted and scored and then Leonard got injured on the next series. Duke makes that stop and they win the game and their QB isn't hurt.
SeptimusW
Ha!

Well then, let's all hope this coach learns from his mistakes unlike our last few. I heard he does - but Jimbo would have sworn he learned from his too if he believed he ever made any.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep. Seems like a great man, is great recruiter and did a good job here. I wish him well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.