Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Notre Dame 4 over Texas A&M 5 in 2020 CFP

5,687 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by evan_aggie
petebaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is not explainable today
Logos Stick
It's very explainable. It's called money and politics.
aggiephoenix02
And OSU that same year was in after only playing 6 games. I'm more upset about OSU than I am Notre Dame…
Guy12
Of course it is. They didn't want the A&M Bama rematch in the CFP, because it wasn't as enticing. It was about money, just like it was today.
Thompson
AG
petebaker said:

Is not explainable today

It wasn't explainable then either. We got blown out in one game early in the season; they got blown out immediately before selection Sunday. Otherwise similar resumes.

We should have been #4, but they picked Notre Dame anyway because of the name. AP even put us #4 after ND - predictably - got blown out again as a shot at the biased CFP committee. 12-team playoff can't get here soon enough.
petebaker
ESPN is pushing sooo hard for the 12 team CFP next year. I'm listening to it for over an hour. They never say money and ratings and mass appeal. They carefully espouse sportsman values , CFP rules it's just tiring
tjack16
AG
2020 Notre Dame deserved it. So did we

Ohio state did not

It should have gone
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. A&am
TXAG 05
AG
Except that we didn't have similar resumes. ND was 10-1 and we were 8-1.

Ohio St only played 6 games total that year and the Big10 changed their rules so that OSU could play in the Big10 champ game.
#Mke
AG
Big Ten literally changed their rules so OSU could make the BIGCG and qualify for the Playoff.

It took rule changes for A&M to be left out.

It took ESPN leaving out an undefeated P5 conference champion (unprecedented) for Texas to get in.

Tells you everything you need to know.
soleta27
Guy12 said:

Of course it is. They didn't want the A&M Bama rematch in the CFP, because it wasn't as enticing. It was about money, just like it was today.

I guess. But there was a possibility of seeing Clemson and Notre Dame playing for the 3rd time.
petebaker
2020 CFP simply was pageant of college footballs beauties strength of schedule was disregarded
Ap and coaches polls irrelevant
TXAG 05
AG
Bama was going to destroy whoever they put in front of them, so it doesn't really matter who made the playoffs anyway.
DecadePlan
AG
The outlier definitely should have been Ohio State. Notre Dame at least earned its spot.
Thompson
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Weird Covid year, but we had a similar (arguably better) win over number 4 Florida, while ND had wins over number 19 North Carolina and 1 Clemson - but Clemson played without their Heisman-winning QB (which apparently matters to the committee now, but back then they said it didn't). Agree on Ohio State, the committee contorted itself to just pick the big-name teams it wanted - as it always has, and always will. 12-team playoff will help reduce that.
AG
#Mke said:

Big Ten literally changed their rules so OSU could make the BIGCG and qualify for the Playoff.

It took rule changes for A&M to be left out.

It took ESPN leaving out an undefeated P5 conference champion (unprecedented) for Texas to get in.

Tells you everything you need to know.

Right here.

If the choice is X vs. Texas
Notre Dame
Alabama
Ohio State

.... then X needs to prepare itself to be boned in the ass.

You younger folks might as well get used to the idea now.
zafzo
The fact is that the media and the brass of college football don't see A&M as a blue blood or popular team that will bring in non Aggie viewers.

People HATE Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc and they will watch hoping they lose.

Yes, they all had a head start on the Ags pre 70s so A&M has to change the product on the field and start winning championships to get people to hate the Aggies too

Hate brings discussion and viewers. See all the TexAgs threads about Texas making the CFP. When is the last time the entire college football worldwas talking about about A&M consistently over the course of many years? Late 80s and early 90s?

When your team is hated, it means you're relevant.
The Banned
Yep. Georgia fell from 1 to 6 after a loss by 3. ND got graped in the ass for all to see and still stayed top4.

The favoritism is disgusting and ruins the game for me. I don't hate that Texas is in. I hate that we got screwed and FSU is getting screwed this year.
Gunny456
AG
Well said. I feel like our football is now just like our present administration and government….. corrupt and double standards.
PA24
AG
Bad luck else we have 2 NC.

Manziel season
AGDAD14
I stole this from another poster. It explains it perfectly. The clip is missing RC on the committee and the weak A&M administration and SEC support.

tjack16
AG
PA24 said:

Manziel season

It would be quite wild if we had 2 national titles and no other 10 win seasons in that decade. I'd venture to guess no other team in CFB history would have that distinction
PeekingDuck
AG
As always, the answer is money. Every single time.
TXAG 05
AG
PA24 said:

Manziel season

Why drugs are you on that make you think we would have won the championship in 2020? We didn't even win our division.
84HartAg
AG
CFP committee will always favor the bigger brand.
55-99
AG
Wait. We lost to Alabama by 4 touchdowns and it wasn't close at the half. That isn't why? Yeah, this playoff thing is confusing.
McCdrizzle
If we make that 2020 playoff there's a good chance we still have Jimbo today
HoustonAggie37713
Florida State
1. Was undefeated 13-0
2. Won their division
3. Won their Power 5 Conference Championship
4. Beat 2 good SEC programs (LSU/Florida) in non-conference
5. Was in the Top 4 prior to final selection

2020 Texas A&M:
1. Lost a game by 28, and was 8-1
2. Did not win their division
3. Did not win their Conference
4. Was not in the Top 4 before final selection
TXAG 05
AG
McCdrizzle said:

Getting killed by Bama in the semi finals would have kept him Jimbo around?

Our 2020 team had a good record, but we weren't a championship caliber team.
tjack16
AG
McCdrizzle said:

I actually think winning the Orange bowl was better for him than getting beaten in the semi finals would have been.
The Banned
55-99 said:

Wait. We lost to Alabama by 4 touchdowns and it wasn't close at the half. That isn't why? Yeah, this playoff thing is confusing.

Well, as this current CFP committee has decided, a bad loss in week 2 doesn't matter when the rest of your season goes well.
The Banned
TXAG 05 said:

McCdrizzle said:

I don't think we would have won, but our team at the end of the year was rolling. We would have given them a hell of a fight.
tjack16
AG
The Banned said:

TXAG 05 said:

McCdrizzle said:

I don't think we would have won, but our team at the end of the year was rolling. We would have given them a hell of a fight.

That Bama team at the end of the year too was one of the best we've seen in the past decade or so. They only had one team keep it within 15 points of them the entire season.
evan_aggie
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Ohio St only played 6 games total that year and the Big10 changed their rules so that OSU could play in the Big10 champ game.

10-1 with a meaningless victory over DJ uglaleilei Clemson team that dismantled them when Trevor Lawrence came back.

Their loss was at the end of their season. A&M's loss was early and the team seemed to get better and better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.