Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Prairie View A&M wants to leave the Texas A&M University System.

17,575 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aginnebraska
JohnLA762
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sharp should release a statement to nip this in the butt…

Also, reading this thread and trying to figure out who was joking and who is just an idiot has mentally drained me…
TXAGBQ76
AG
I see nothing in that article that says PVAMU wants to leave the TAMU System. That comment was made by someone not involved in the decision making process of the University.
mortal
AG
AG81 said:

mortal said:

You want facts, AG81? Well:

The President of PVAMU (she) didn't make this statement, the President of the Alumni association (he) did. Had you read the linked news story, you might have known "the facts."
Had you paid attention to the entire issue, you'd know better.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/ruth-simmons-prairie-view-blasts-a-m-system-17864398.php
Your own (new slant) link shows an old story that actually puts the System Board and John Sharp in a very positive light of boosting PVAMU for over a decade. Since that story, it has come to light that President Simmons was trying to excuse quitting her job early because she had a new gig lined up in Houston.

Anyway, your spin attempt fails. The OP was referring to what the Alumnus stated, not the President, as you claim they were.

To the topic, facts are facts. Look at the dollars. PVAMU s not being "devalued," but quite the opposite. with an increase in research grants and a whooping 150% increase in operations money.
hoosier-daddy
They should sue the state
https://www.pvamu.edu/about_pvamu/college-history/
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonchronicle.com%2Fnews%2Fhouston-texas%2Fhouston%2Farticle%2FHBCU-FUNDING-LEGE-16272089.php

The University had its beginnings in the Texas Constitution of 1876, which, in separate articles, established an "Agricultural and Mechanical College" and pledged that "Separate schools shall be provided for the white and colored children, and impartial provisions shall be made for both." As a consequence of these constitutional provisions, the Fifteenth Legislature established "Alta Vista Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas for Colored Youth" on August 14,1876.

The report showed that 61 percent of 1890 land-grant institutions did not receive their one-to-one-matching funds in full between 2010 and 2012. Prairie View A&M only received about half its match from the state during that period.

During the 2018-2019 biennium, Prairie View received $23 million in federal funding but only $4 million from the state around 17 percent of what it's supposed to be given. Meanwhile, Texas A&M received $94 million from the federal government and $196 million more than double its share from the state, according to TAMU officials.

The U.S. government designated multiple colleges focused on agriculture and the mechanical arts and allocated federal aid with the Morrill Act in 1862. Because education for Black students was excluded from this act, the second Morrill Act of 1890 gave 19 HBCUs, including Prairie View A&M, the same designation to help strengthen research and teaching, according to the government website. Federal funding is often expected to be matched dollar for dollar by the state unless an institution applies for a waiver or forfeits their funding.

so looks like it's not law to be dollar for dollar, but there's a definite inequity in funding TAMU & PV from the state
45-70Ag
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Sharp should release a statement to nip this in the butt…

Also, reading this thread and trying to figure out who was joking and who is just an idiot has mentally drained me…

He should release a statement saying wish granted.
InfantryAg
AG
I heard they're joining the Rice System.
dixichkn
AG
This would be a very halfhazard move by PV
I am always wrong
Who cares.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Truth is that PVAMU could survive by themselves. There are plenty of foundations, business, organizations etc. that will continue to put money in them. And I have no problem with it. There is a huge equity gap in education by race, and our republic would be better off if that didn't exist.

I just wish they would take the high road if they wish to leave and not drag A&M System down with unfounded accusations, because they have done quite well by the system, especially in recent year, as has been pointed out in this thread.

And for all the resources given their direction, take a look at the average debt their graduates leave with. It's not a pretty picture. It's a scandal, really.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I guess we shouldn't have taken them for granite
AG81
AG
mortal said:

AG81 said:

mortal said:

The President of PVAMU (she) didn't make this statement, the President of the Alumni association (he) did. Had you read the linked news story, you might have known "the facts."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/ruth-simmons-prairie-view-blasts-a-m-system-17864398.php
Your own (new slant) link shows an old story that actually puts the System Board and John Sharp in a very positive light of boosting PVAMU for over a decade. Since that story, it has come to light that President Simmons was trying to excuse quitting her job early because she had a new gig lined up in Houston.

Anyway, your spin attempt fails. The OP was referring to what the Alumnus stated, not the President, as you claim they were.

To the topic, facts are facts. Look at the dollars. PVAMU s not being "devalued," but quite the opposite. with an increase in research grants and a whooping 150% increase in operations money.

I merely pointed out that the statements by the Alumni President weren't original, that they parroted those made by the former University President weeks earlier, to which you clearly had not paid attention. You're the one spinning. Nice try though.
UTExan
Let them join the Texas State University system for a real upgrade. /s/
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Come Out Roll
AG
_mpaul said:

aggie.devil said:

It's "to spite your face"
Convincing him of that is going to be a tough road to hoe.

Irregardless, it's going to be a tough road…..
AgNav93
AG
It's a shake down. For more money.
Colonel Nonreg
AG
Divining Rod
The TAMU/ Prairie View relationship is at an important crosswords in history. While John Sharp is thought of by some with great infection, and as a man of great statue, perhaps he should just let this matter drift into Bolivian. Otherwise, he will be having to tap dance the flamingo to avoid all the pitbulls awaiting him.
Divining Rod
45-70Ag said:

Good, let's cut them off and they can go do their own thing. In about three years, they'll damn near cease to exist but that's the path they chose.
Yeah, in the words of Fleetwood Mac, they can grow their own whey.
mortal
AG
AG81 said:

mortal said:

AG81 said:

mortal said:

I merely pointed out that the statements by the Alumni President weren't original, that they parroted those made by the former University President weeks earlier, to which you clearly had not paid attention. You're the one spinning. Nice try though.
Nope. I make my original point again - he, the alumnus, made the statement as the original link states and what this whole thread is about.
fightinag
SgtBarbarossa said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

talk about cutting off your nose despite your face.

Quote:

It's "to spite your face"

Pretty sure it's "cut off your nose to spider face" - Micheal Scott
I thought it was cut off your toes then run in place
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
DamnGood86
AG
DuckySams said:

DamnGood86 said:

I could care less if they leave.

Hope you're joking.

Ax me and I will tell you.
The Agly Duckling
rootube said:

This situation reminds me of that famous Bon Jovi lyric.

"Shoot me like a rocket in the face"
Reminds me of this famous Jimi Hendrix lyric:

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy."
Sgt. Schultz
AG
I imagine the other system schools would say "don't let the door hit you on the ass" as they would gladly take additional funding that is allocated to PVA&M
I know NOTHING!!!!
fc2112
For all intensive purposes, their already separate.
Ugly
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

rootube said:

This situation reminds me of that famous Bon Jovi lyric.

"Shoot me like a rocket in the face"
Reminds me of this famous Jimi Hendrix lyric:

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy."
On an unrelated topic, growing up I thought the lyric was "Scuse me, while I pis* the sky." Even as I kid, I just knew there were a lot of drugs flowing, and figured that was yet another euphemism I didn't understand at the time.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Those graduation rates are absolutely dismal. Like ITT Tech level bad.

What an absolute scandal that the above average outcome is to spend around 24k in tuition for two years and then drop out.

Just wow.

The people at the top know this is just another grift.
one MEEN Ag
AG
The base level grievance I don't understand. A&M throws tons of money at them, at a greater rate than equivalent institutions in the system. We all know why.

The only other system that could possibly throw more money at them is the tu system. And they don't want them. They never wanted them. They refused to allow PV be associated with tu system in the first place.

And tu still to this day wouldn't want them. It wouldn't serve to further their image in any way. tu would only want PVAMU just to rub A&M's nose in it.

So if PVAMU is going shopping for another system...good luck. Those attendee and graduation metrics aren't going to line up a bunch of good suitors. You think funding is tough and kissing ass for money sucks now, wait until there isn't even a PUF fund you have some access to.

Prarie View might fall so far down it'll just get renamed the Daikin Training Center.
Aginnebraska
AG
Divining Rod said:

45-70Ag said:

Good, let's cut them off and they can go do their own thing. In about three years, they'll damn near cease to exist but that's the path they chose.
Yeah, in the words of Fleetwood Mac, they can grow their own whey.
You guys don't think there is a parallel lobbying operation going in Austin along with these public antagonizing statements? Most likely rather than just accepting whatever budget appropriations are approved by the BoR, PVAM is likely hoping to leave the A&M system and antagonize the State (based on "equity" arguments) for a direct piece of the State University fund instead of settling for whatever the BoR gives them.

Regardless of how that Fund is appropriated historically, there is nothing that says it has to stay that way and given how spineless our political class is...I would expect them to cave to any race-based accusations and give PVAM a direct piece of Permanent University Fund.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.