Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Leon claims

28,147 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by i is smart
Texagsubscriber
How long do you want to ignore this user?

NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Leander - Ag
AG
Ok
mm42
He is sort of right. If he had been a 3+ year starter at Georgia he would have been drafted. Of course he would have needed to be a better player to start that long at Georgia.
AggieOil
AG
Nothing will help our recruiting more than tweets like that. Thanks, Leon.

Not.
Aggie1188
mm42 said:

He is sort of right. If he had been a 3+ year starter at Georgia he would have been drafted. Of course he would have needed to be a better player to start that long at Georgia.
on what planet could he have started at Georgia for 1 year? I take it Leon is having a successful NFL career so far?
Aggie1188
Lot of those guys were juniors. Jimbo should stop encouraging them to go.
SinKiller
Love you Leon, you're not getting drafted where you are because you came to A&M, you're getting drafted where you are based on what they see. They could care less where you played. Achane is not a between the tackles runner in the NFL, he's situational. I think 3rd round is about right. The beauty, he gets to go and show it and if he does he's gonna get paid in a couple of years.
HoustonAg2021
He is right about the winning championships part. We simply don't win anything meaningful.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
What's missing from discussion is the implication of NO DEVELOPMENT; after all, there were several players taken in the 1st round (who were lower rated HS recruits) from schools without championships that we routinely snub our noses at for being inferior programs: Tech-Tard, K-State, Iowa State, & TCU (magical season notwithstanding), all from the Big 12 no less. Leon's correct that "Championship Bias" is a thing, but it isn't the only factor; lack of player development, nonexistent program loyalty/ commitment (ie. staying for a SR/ Covid year), & the apparent lack of any meaningful counsel given to these young men (presumably to ensure vacancies & make way for 5 star 'saviors' in the fold) when an extra year of play would likely improve their draft stock are just a few of the issues plaguing our program, as such definitely impacts the overall win/ loss record!!

It's very saddening & certainly alarming, especially if OU & tu get their houses in order in time for SEC play.
Speckled Trout
AG
If you follow Leon on Twitter, he is a roller coaster of emotions. I worry about him at times.
Onionman
BigDave21 said:

He is right about the winning championships part. We simply don't win anything meaningful.
There are very few teams that win championships yet many players get drafted.

Winning championships has very little to do with getting drafted.

But yes, A&M does need to win championships.
pbaitman
I smoke weed I get it, we need to get thr Championships
The Collective
AG
No question - he is 100% Aggie now
P.U.T.U
AG
Same as Fran, same as Sumlin. Can't develop talent
AggieOO
He's been reading too much texags.
MaroonStain
AG
All recruits need to be shown is Von Miller and Micheal Clemons. Both stayed full seasons and hit the NFL in man-shape ready to play.
Next Year is the Year
AG
You might not like to hear it, but he's absolutely right
Aggie Joe 93
AG
How about talking about who the idiot con artists are that are convincing players that they will go higher than they will?

Is the issue every single NFL franchise hates us? No
Is the issue no championships? No. (Many players drafted from scrub programs)

Maybe players should rethink the advice they get.
Buford T. Justice
AG
This story line is very old and has been tied to A&M football for a long time. Nothing new here. Bottom line, Georgia wins championships, we have not. There is validity in the draft stock of a player from a championship program.
tjack16
AG
This past graduating class did this in their 4 years

8-5
9-1
8-4
5-7

Leon is right. Winning solves this problem. The covid orange bowl looks more and more like an outlier the further away from 2020 we get.
AgDotCom
Some guy named Mahomes went here...

W
AG
P.U.T.U said:

hold on now...

Sumlin had 7 first round picks and 3 second round picks

Jimbo thru 5 years...has only had 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick

it's not even close
northeastag
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

This story line is very old and has been tied to A&M football for a long time. Nothing new here. Bottom line, Georgia wins championships, we have not. There is validity in the draft stock of a player from a championship program.
How do you explain Iowa this year?

It's probably more simple. Any A&M player that thinks they have a shot leaves after their junior year, and most of them either are really good players who just weren't quite ready yet, or they're delusional. And the fans don't help. Heaping adulation and praise on them for years, and saying constantly "go get paid!".

As much as I hate the portal, I'm hoping that it helps a lot of these players that (in the past) would have decided to "declare for the draft" when they just felt like they were done here. Go someplace else for a year and see if you can improve your chances.

In Leon's case, he just may not be good enough. Sorry, but it happens. It's why I never had a career as a professional tennis player. But I got over it.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Kevin Murray
Leland McElroy

Just to start the list.
Ag in ATL
AG
What's sad is how we're taking credit for the kid at Tech for his one year here before he transferred. We don't absolutely have to win championships but we do need to be relevant to the discussion.

While the optics of Leon's post certainly don't look good, I can see an undertone of "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!". When are we collectively going to reach a tipping point where mediocrity is no longer tolerated much less accepted?

It has to come from the top, though. I don't see it tolerated elsewhere in the University. We score high in research, quality and value of education, etc., why not sports?

The sips won the Director's Cup the last two years and have been a fixture in the top 10 pretty much in its existence. Ags were in the top 10 during the 2010's 5-6 times. Two years ago we were 19th. Last year we were 25th. If not for Baseball and Men's & Women's Golf we might not have cracked the top 75.

I'm not saying we need to win the thing, but we ought to be in the hunt in anything in which we compete. From football to tiddlywinks.

In the ultimate irony, we just won the natty in Cheer. But why compete if you're not going to go all out?
Agsrback12
Agsrback12
P.U.T.U said:

Decision makers don't care. We still show up in droves. Football doesn't matter. Ticket revenue is the only thing that could produce swift action. It produces "next year" mentality
HoustonAg2021
Onionman said:

BigDave21 said:

There are very few teams that win championships yet many players get drafted.

Winning championships has very little to do with getting drafted.

But yes, A&M does need to win championships.

Doesn't need to be limited to just championships. It could be winning the west or winning a playoff game. I agree about the drafting part but I'm more focused on the championship part. Last championship was 98, that's pretty pathetic. Haven't even had a conference title game appearance since then.
HoustonAg2021
W said:

P.U.T.U said:

hold on now...

Sumlin had 7 first round picks and 3 second round picks

Jimbo thru 5 years...has only had 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick

it's not even close

Are you serious? That's a DISGUSTING stat.
sincereag
Why has Antonio Johnson not been taken yet? I thought he was a very good safety and is always around the ball. Early this year he was projected in first two rounds.
AG
sincereag said:

Why has Antonio Johnson not been taken yet? I thought he was a very good safety and is always around the ball. Early this year he was projected in first two rounds.

He's weak in coverage and most NFL teams reportedly see him as a safety, not a nickel.

Supposedly, anyway.
W
AG
it's shocking.

Kenyon Green...a member of Jimbo's 2019 recruiting class...was the 1st round pick

Eric McCoy...who played 2 seasons for Sumlin and 1 for Jimbo...was the 2nd round pick
RyanPearson
AG
We're just not a very good development program under Jimbo. Do y'all think Tyree Wilson would've gone in the first round if he stuck it out here? Unlikely
ironmanag
AG
RyanPearson said:

We're just not a very good development program under Jimbo. Do y'all think Tyree Wilson would've gone in the first round if he stuck it out here? Unlikely
Stupid comment.

Yes he would have.

Tech isn't exactly known for developing anything.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HoustonAg2021
ironmanag said:

RyanPearson said:

Stupid comment.

Yes he would have.

Tech isn't exactly known for developing anything.

Tech's athletic department has run circles around ours for at least a decade now. Same with Baylor and TCU. We aren't as above them or even schools like mizzou or south carolina or the mississippis as you think.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.