Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Here we go...

14,111 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rex Racer
Ag in ATL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PUF background. We had to fight to get 1/3.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/media/guides/advocacy/puf.pdf

And more,,,

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/texas-primer-ut-permanent-university-fund/
OriolePete
It's just a reminder as more schools will follow suit now that's it been done a couple times. Relax. It's just saying these types of entities CAN engage in NIL crap just keep in mind to keep it 100.
Bill Superman
AG
Ag in ATL said:

PUF background. We had to fight to get 1/3.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/media/guides/advocacy/puf.pdf

And more,,,

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/texas-primer-ut-permanent-university-fund/

This summarizes everything you need to know about everything, including how the media portrays us.
"Since Texas A&M is technically a branch of UT, the Aggies also have a claim on PUF. Before oil, though, A&M wanted no part of it. After oil, A&M changed its tune. The truce let UT keep control of PUF but cut A&M in for a third of the minerals. The split inspired the original Aggie joke:

Q.Why did UT get two thirds and A&M only one third?

A.A&M got first choice."
zafzo
lotoarmy said:

They do, however, march to the tune of the sips.

Sips are behind this. Trust me, been there and seen it. They have to derail us, just as they are coming in to the SEC! And, yes, they have that kind of power.
I'm curious how they have that kind power? According to TexAgs, Texas now controls the Big12, SEC, NCAA, ESPN, etc. How do they do it and why can't A&M do the same? It's not like A&M is poor and doesn't have high level connections.
Bill Superman
AG
zafzo said:

lotoarmy said:

Sips are behind this. Trust me, been there and seen it. They have to derail us, just as they are coming in to the SEC! And, yes, they have that kind of power.
I'm curious how they have that kind power? According to TexAgs, Texas now controls the Big12, SEC, NCAA, ESPN, etc. How do they do it and why can't A&M do the same? It's not like A&M is poor and doesn't have high level connections.
All of those entities love the politics of ut and loathe ours.
Aggie2
BAS at it's finest. The NCAA should have set the rules before it was launched.
MCAg09
AG
levypantsEOY said:

- and we are now seeing the repercussions with 13+ players leaving.

More like 23+
DallasAg 94
DOG XO 84
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Okay so story time-
My sip coworker was at some high dollar NIL fundraiser at Houston Country Club last week. Sark after dark, lots of staff, and their AD Del Conte gave a chat to a bunch of big boosters. There was a Q&A and mingling etc.
Buddy told me the following:
1. The tu NIL "Texas One Fund" has a goal of $15M a year. Apparently they spent months with a team of lawyers coming up with the exact model for it to work best based on NCAA rulings to date- they acknowledge that they were a year late on it and missed the boat last season, though they believe they have it sorted now and the machine is ready to go.
2. To that end, sips have not lost a single player to the transfer portal since NIL. They have seen horror stories (QB who went to Florida expecting a $13M check and got nothing) and want to "do it right." Which brings up…
3. Their dreaded rival the Ags. Per my buddy, the sip AD lambasted the way that the NIL has been handled in College Station. Apparently there are strict rules against co-mingling NIL funds and actual university sponsored programs (12th Man Foundation) and it was a matter of time before the hammer dropped.
4. AD also blasted our treatment of players- apparently last year's record breaking class was a case study in how not to do it- and we are now seeing the repercussions with 13+ players leaving.

Anyway, I was hoping this was all the usual Austin bluster but it appears the NCAA is coming down on the program's NIL deal after all. Maybe the powers that be thought it was better to ask for forgiveness over permission- surely there are a ton of programs in the same boat- but I sure hope it gets sorted out asap.
Do you think anyone really believes you are an Aggie fan? Everyone knows you are a sip. Finally... do your fellow sips refer to you as a sip as well?
Aggie1188
lotoarmy said:

just mimic how they pay their players. They're paying more than anyone.
Aggie1188
levypantsEOY said:

4. AD also blasted our treatment of players- apparently last year's record breaking class was a case study in how not to do it- and we are now seeing the repercussions with 13+ players leaving.
lol. 13+ players did not leave from the #1 class. Besides the 2 kicked off the team, anyone who left was closer to a 3-star than 5-star on the spectrum and most definitely got zero dollars. Lol
Aggie1188
4 said:

I think it's hilarious how many people here pounded the table telling us that tu will be in a conference of equals when they get to the SEC and they they would have no more sway over the conference than any other school.

Well guess what? They ain't even here yet.

Just wait.

If we knew what was good for us, we'd get out ahead of this unavoidable catastrophe and move to the Big 10. I'm sure they'd love to have a Texas footprint.

But get it in writing this time.
Lot of kids only want to play in the SEC.
Aggie1188
TXAGBQ76 said:

The 12th Man Foundation is a standalone organization that is not part of the University, they get no money from the University, they are 501 (C) (3). The 12th Man+ has supposedly been vetted with the SEC and NCAA and other legal traps before announcing.
I've read nothing that said the SEC or NCAA vetted it. Articles all said the opposite…that neither approved or denied once alerted by our leadership.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Didn't four "leave"- i.e. not invited back from the number one class?
One guy was not even on the for medical reasons.
Most guys were second or third stringers.
One guy left in the fall due to lack of playing time.
Two went to Ga Tech
One went to App State
The Agly Duckling
redleg82 said:

Texas gets 2/3 of the PUF, I believe. Also, the PUF has nothing to do with Athletics.

Not since 1984, it doesn't.
12thMan9
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

redleg82 said:

Texas gets 2/3 of the PUF, I believe. Also, the PUF has nothing to do with Athletics.

Wrong.
Ronnie '88
greg.w.h
AG
Aggie2 said:

BAS at it's finest. The NCAA should have set the rules before it was launched.
You mean risk even more anti-trust decisions against them???
The Agly Duckling
12thMan9 said:

The Agly Duckling said:

redleg82 said:

Wrong.
My understanding is that in October of '84 the Legislature passed a law that no state funds could be used on athletics anymore, but that up until that time all that was okay.

Does anybody have different information?
TXAGBQ76
AG
The PUF has never been allowed to be used for athletics, capital expenditures only.
AGDAD14
zafzo said:

lotoarmy said:

You can be the smartest person, have all the money and connections in the world, but history has proven without common sense leadership, it's all in vain.
AGDAD14
TXAGBQ76 said:

The 12th Man Foundation is a standalone organization that is not part of the University, they get no money from the University, they are 501 (C) (3). The 12th Man+ has supposedly been vetted with the SEC and NCAA and other legal traps before announcing.

I don't necessarily disagree… but why does the 12th Man Foundation answer the phone, when I call the Texas A&M athletic ticket office? I am pretty sure the TMF provides "services" on behalf of the university.

I just hope that before implementing that someone was wise enough to anticipate and PLAN for this scrutiny considering the national attention we garnered last year over NIL. If they did, you would think they could put this to bed fairly quickly.
levypantsEOY
Based on recent history, do you believe the current leadership to be an effective/ long-thinking group?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Again i hope all of this goes nowhere- lots of programs have this same NIL- school scenario- but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Luke The Drifter
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

12thMan9 said:

The Agly Duckling said:

redleg82 said:

Wrong.
My understanding is that in October of '84 the Legislature passed a law that no state funds could be used on athletics anymore, but that up until that time all that was okay.

Does anybody have different information?

The Texas Legislature was not in session in October, 1984. The Lege convenes in January of odd numbered years for 140 days. Even if there were special sessions to follow, they wouldn't have lasted 'til October of the following year.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
greg.w.h
AG
TMF handles tickets which is why they staff. They submit agreed revenue to the school to cover athletic department spend. They answer phones to cover those customer-facing responsibilities for sales, donation collection, and general customer support to Aggies going to events.

I'm not actually interested in discussing the TMF NIL collective concept. Anything we say can be used against the school especially if we are wrong. Don't give opponents ammunition for beating you.
levypantsEOY
Lol you're concerned the NCAA is reading the zoo for witch hunt evidence?
Carry on…
fav13andac1)c
AG
levypantsEOY said:

3. Their dreaded rival the Ags. Per my buddy, the sip AD lambasted the way that the NIL has been handled in College Station. Apparently there are strict rules against co-mingling NIL funds and actual university sponsored programs (12th Man Foundation) and it was a matter of time before the hammer dropped.
Then Del Conte didn't do his research. Shocker.

Quote:

The 12th Man Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) in both fact and appearance. The Foundation's NIL-related activities are not conducted on behalf of Texas A&M University or Texas A&M Athletics at any time. The Foundation will not communicate with or involve the University regarding the negotiations with student-athletes related to NIL activities. The Foundation may communicate with the University regarding general compliance matters.

In the FAQ
MagnumLoad
The ncaa has always come after A&M and let their chosen ones slide. It is time to break the cycle and tell the ncaa to shove it.

Edited to add that litigation may be necessary. Selective, arbitrary enforcement.
AG81
AG
jriv09 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAAs-reported-memo-sent-to-member-schools-puts-Texas-AMs-new-NIL-initiative-in-question-205549588/

I generally agree that the NCAA is a joke. In this point they have a case.

On the one hand, the TMF is a separately incorporated 501)(c)3 organization with independence from Texas A&M University. That said, the TMF is a sole purpose 501(c)3, and that sole purpose is to support Texas A&M athletics. It, like the Texas A&M Foundation, the Association of Former Students, the George and Barbara Bush Foundation, and the Corps of Cadet's, can only operate in support of the University. Further, each of those organizations have a Board of Regent liason and the President of the University of an ad hoc member of those Boards.

It will be hard for the TMF to successfully argue full independence which I believe is the point the NCAA is taking up. The TMF is different though in that none of the employees of the TMF are University employees. That's not the case in most universities. In most universities the athletic fundraising staff are employees of the university.
Rex Racer
AG
Win At Life said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

That is all correct, but it appears they are flagging it as part of an "entity acting on behalf" of the university, which is in the NIL rules. More NCAA grey area to dick over the one's they want to and ignore their favorites. More of the same NCAA BS.
The Pancake Factory is acting on behalf of t.u., as well. They aren't giving money to offensive linemen out of the goodness of their hearts.
Eike Mlko
levypantsEOY said:

Based on recent history, do you believe the current leadership to be an effective/ long-thinking group?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Again i hope all of this goes nowhere- lots of programs have this same NIL- school scenario- but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Why do people say this? Have you actually ever looked up the definition of insanity? Or do you just parrot everything that someone else says?
WC94
AG
Bill Superman said:

zafzo said:

lotoarmy said:

All of those entities love the politics of ut and loathe ours.

Bingo. Then they will all hide behind real men, whilst waving their dildos, when **** pops off with China.
Charles Hickson Knows
redleg82 said:

If it's not against Texas State Law, the NCAA can go pound sand. They have no authority over NIL.

But, Baylor is doing NIL "right" according to their AD. I had to laugh.
Perhaps, but it does involve our brethren.
Our thoughts on the current controlled EXTRATERRESTRIAL reality disclosure process and related US GOV cover-up? Once the uneasy, contagious giggling subsides, how will our civilization and the mislead sheep adapt to this publicly known reality? Are the good Shepherds withholding the truth in our best interest? Perhaps multiple species are involved?
TexAggie1999
W said:

this is why many folks cringed when they read that the TMF was getting directly involved with NIL

Yep. This was a step too far. Just do NIL cheating more like everyone else. Using the TMF was pushing limits too far.
AGDAD14
I read the FAQ too, when I first received the email. It's a little cutesy to say " The Foundation's NIL-related activities are not conducted on behalf of Texas A&M University or Texas A&M Athletics at any time"?

NIL-related activities are not the only activities conducted by TMF. The question is… are there ANY activities conducted on behalf of TAMU or TAMU Athletics as an independent 501(c)(3)?

I'm just not convinced that the risk/reward was necessary at this point in the NIL-evolution. I'll admit that I am not in favor of NIL, and that I am conservative by nature.

BTHO tu forever!!!
Rex Racer
AG
The Foundation's NIL activities benefit the Foundation. That is the key.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.