Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

So, is Amari Daniels the feature back next year?

8,228 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KRH1225
Post removed:
by user
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently working on constructing a spy balloon/blimp in my garage that will pass undetected over all Aggie spring and fall practices. If all goes well, I should have your answer by the fall. If anyone hits the portal and transfers to Beijing university then something's gone horribly wrong.
Franklin Comes Alive!
It'd be pretty awesome if 1 back didn't get 99.9% of the carries…

Some coaches try to utilize multiple skill sets in the back field…

Maybe we can try that someday
BlackBear1
AG
I'm not sure why that's the prevailing thought now. My biggest complaint before last year was that we wouldn't stick with the hot hand when we were splitting Spiller's and Achane's carries. We saw what happened in the LSU game when your premier back has an extra blocker and OL that is clicking. It's just a shame we wasted Achane's last season with a beat up, young line that didn't give him any room.
soleta27
Last year was unique, in that Achane was clearly someone you had to have on the field most of the time. A person that can score from anywhere on the field.
I can see us utilizing all 3 rbs evenly this year. Daniels, Moss, Owens. Sprinkle in Ainias as well and I actually don't feel uncomfortable about this position group.
BTHOB-98
Plan on seeing Anias run the ball out of the backfield again this year. Patrino will put all the talent he can on the field at one time. Anias is probably our best running back retiring for 2023.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Plan on seeing Anias run the ball out of the backfield again this year. Patrino will put all the talent he can on the field at one time. Anias is probably our best running back retiring for 2023.

Now that we have Petrino I'm not worried at all about getting all our playmakers involved. Ainias, Moose, Evan, Amari, Reuben, etc.

With Jimbo he would have Moose waiting behind Ainias again…..
True Texan
AG
I'm thinking Ruben Owens is RB1
greg.w.h
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

FTS…Feed The Studs
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i am not sure if amari daniels will get th chance but that dude is a good running back. if it doesn't work out for him here he will start somewhere.
TylerAg98
AG
True Texan said:

Doubt it. He needs time in the weight room. Does not look physically ready.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Franklin Comes Alive! said:

We've done a pretty good job of that outside of last year. Look back the 3-4 years before and I'm pretty sure no no carried more than 70% of the time. Especially 2020 and 2021 with Achane and Spiller
ABATTBQ87
AG
BlackBear1 said:

I'm not sure why that's the prevailing thought now. My biggest complaint before last year was that we wouldn't stick with the hot hand when we were splitting Spiller's and Achane's carries. We saw what happened in the LSU game when your premier back has an extra blocker and OL that is clicking. It's just a shame we wasted Achane's last season with a beat up, young line that didn't give him any room.

He could have stayed one more year, it was his choice to leave and be selected in the 4th to 6th round of the draft
beerad12man
AG

You mean like just in 2021 when Achane averaged 75 a game and spiller 84? Balance was excellent just 2 years ago.

Or how about 2017 when jimbo had cam akers go for 1000 and still had another 750 yard back behind him? Or 2013 when he had 3 get 689+.

I'm pretty sure he's aware of the concept. I have no idea why so many wanted achane to touch the ball less last year. That wasn't the issue. the real issue?

We needed to get more first downs and run more plays to get others involved more, before worrying about taking touches away from our best player. There were 34 backs who had more carries last year. It wasn't an issue
beerad12man
AG
BlackBear1 said:

And this.

Those were the issues.

The OL, and the lack of overall plays. You want to get moss or Daniels more involved? Or in 2023, Rueben Owens? Have a more efficient offense(starts with the OL) that gets first downs and runs more plays. We were 118th in plays per game. How can you get your RB2 a lot of touches under those circumstances?

If your 1/2 backs were even, it would make more sense. But Achane was a much higher level back than anyone else we had. So it doesn't make sense to take his touches away and give our RB2 more, unless we ran significantly more plays overall.
greg.w.h
AG
Achane wanted more touches and earned them.
cs69ag
AG
Need to play all 3 unless one can't pass block or learn the plays.
Keep them fresh and engaged.
Otherwise the portal will be calling.
NyAggie
AG
True Texan said:

I'm thinking the more mature, experienced guys like Daniels and moss will start out as 1a and 1b, however I'm also thinking that petrino is going to use whatever backs he sees as the best matchups against the defense that week

He's going to get the ball to his playmakers; I think we're going to see much more utilization of personnel on offense: meaning more guys getting more touches based on matchups, hot hand etc..
AG 73
AG
Jimbo won't play a RB unless he trusts them to take care of the ball and picking up a blitz. Obviously, they have to prove themselves in practice. Maybe our backup RBs will get more opportunities if we can get some double-digit leads. Heck, maybe if we can get any lead in the first half, we can see a back-up. I would also like to see more creativity with a jumbo package when we only need a yard.
Aggie1188

We couldn't do that because our RBs get a total of like 20 touches a game due to our slow pace of play.
Aggie1188
BlackBear1 said:

Achane was making guys miss. Another RB could've easily been tackled for a short gain or no gain.
Ag in ATL
AG
AG 73 said:

Jimbo won't play a RB unless he trusts them to take care of the ball and picking up a blitz. Obviously, they have to prove themselves in practice. Maybe our backup RBs will get more opportunities if we can get some double-digit leads. Heck, maybe if we can get any lead in the first half, we can see a back-up. I would also like to see more creativity with a jumbo package when we only need a yard.

I was hollering this probably from the mid-2nd quarter on against App State. When finesse isn't working against a much smaller d-line, go big and play smashmouth.
rootube
AG
I suspect if the OK can stay healthy there are several guys who can be successful.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I predict 98% of this board will whine non-stop no matter who is in the backfield.
Meximan
BlackBear1 said:

Ideally one would like to see something closer to 80/20 percent of caries going to the first and second string guys, respectively, in most games. Maybe 60/40 if you have a power/speed combo going on. This roster has a lot of very similar guys though, so if it turns out that Moss, Daniels, and Owens are basically the same player then an even split of carries keeps them all fresh, although you do have to be concerned with momentum and groove; sometimes you leave a guy in just cause he's in a rhythm.
p8aggie
AG
HE WAS RUNNING HARD AND FAST THROUGH MANY HOLES
KRH1225
I don't see how Owens ISNT RB1 next year. Kid has way too much talent to sit the bench. I like Daniels as a change of pace back for us if we decide to use multiple RBs in our offense. I like Moss to be Owens backup. Ground and pound Smashmouth type ish.

I'd like to see us do what the Chiefs do. Use 3 RBs to drive defenses silly. Switch between RB1 and RB 2 which is Owens and Moss and then use a pass catching back that can eat up yards in space which would be Daniels in this case. The chiefs do a great job of using Edwards-Helaire and Pacheco out of the backfield while using McKinnon as the pass catching back. That would be fun to watch on Saturdays if Petrino did that.
DallasAg 94
cowboyag
AG
Please livestream...
cowboyag
AG
BlackBear1 said:

We should went to the extra blocker/tight ends a lot sooner. It's a shame they waited until the last game.
TopoTacos
AG
soleta27 said:

Last year was unique, in that Achane was clearly someone you had to have on the field most of the time. A person that can score from anywhere on the field.
I can see us utilizing all 3 rbs evenly this year. Daniels, Moss, Owens. Sprinkle in Ainias as well and I actually don't feel uncomfortable about this position group.

Achane was also able to cover up for a lot of our issues when it came to the OL, consistently turning chicken**** into chicken salad. Fortunately I think this year, a steadier line will allow us to rotate guys a bit more situationally.
TX_Aggie37
AG
We shouldn't lack talent at RB in 2023. Hopefully we see some rotation.
duddleysdraw88
AG
Don't sleep on Crownover.

Petrino will have the ball going everywhere.
Class of 65
AG
Can Daniels take out the blitzing linebacker for that matter I doubt seeing the rb from Lagrange doingit either
BWEB4
what running back do we have from Lagrange?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.