Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We got 3 wins against AP Top 15 teams this year

10,046 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by zephyr88
SigAg6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what it means to be an Aggie. Change the coaches and players, but it remains the same. Always an inconsistant team.
W
AG
circling back to this thread...

the 2016 team beat 3 top 20 teams:

#16 UCLA
#17 Arkansas
#9 Tennessee

only 1 of those teams finished ranked.

interesting though...the 2016 squad beat an unranked team on the road in week 3...that actually finished #17 in the AP's final regular season poll ----> Auburn

some years it works both ways
aggiedad7
infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

I respect your ability to move goalposts.

No, there is no goalpost moving. We still have to win the NC. However, instead of wallowing in despair, it is nice to look at some positives also.
I'm simply saying we didn't beat 3 top 15 teams because 2 of those teams aren't ranked at all. I am a person who looks at end of season rankings as opposed to ranking at the time of the game. None of our losses would consider us a top 6 win or even a top 25 win.

They were Top 15 when we played them. And that is all that matters. It is the same in tennis also, if you beat Alcaraz today, you have beaten the world No 1. If Alc sucks and falls to No 10, you still get the credit for beating a No 1.
No, that's not all that matters. You could accurately say we beat 3 teams that were ranked in the top 15 "when we played them". But then no one would give a **** about their previous ranking except you. If we're going to look at the bright side of things, how about something real. We beat the crap out of LSU. Just last Sat. That's a win over a current top 15 team and something to be proud of. Beating Miami is just a win over a crappy team. It's still a win and glad to get it. But it's not a win over a top 15 team.

Edit: Let's take this to the extreme just to prove how idiotic OPs post was. Let's say you beat the preseason #1 in week 1. That team then loses every other game and ends up 0-12. Are you really going to post at the end of the season, "Look we beat the #1 team!". Of course not. Because it's meaningless. Now let's say you beat an unranked team in week 1 that goes undefeated rest of the way and ends up #1. Then you're going to say we beat the #1 team.
Artorias
AG
infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

No, there is no goalpost moving. We still have to win the NC. However, instead of wallowing in despair, it is nice to look at some positives also.
I'm simply saying we didn't beat 3 top 15 teams because 2 of those teams aren't ranked at all. I am a person who looks at end of season rankings as opposed to ranking at the time of the game. None of our losses would consider us a top 6 win or even a top 25 win.

They were Top 15 when we played them. And that is all that matters. It is the same in tennis also, if you beat Alcaraz today, you have beaten the world No 1. If Alc sucks and falls to No 10, you still get the credit for beating a No 1.
It is not the same. Alcaraz earned the No. 1 ranking on the court over several matches/tournaments. He was not randomly selected as No. 1 by abunch of journalists before he ever stepped foot on the court. You are making the exact point of the poster you are responding to, rankings only matter after a body of work has proven you deserve that ranking.

aggiedad7
Artorias said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

It is not the same. Alcaraz earned the No. 1 ranking on the court over several matches/tournaments. He was not randomly selected as No. 1 by abunch of journalists before he ever stepped foot on the court. You are making the exact point of the poster you are responding to, rankings only matter after a body of work has proven you deserve that ranking.

It's truly amazing how people will double down on a subject when they're clearly in the wrong. Just keep digging that hole deeper and deeper and never realize they are burying themselves.
ABATTBQ11
AG
If you find a $100 bill on the ground, then find out it's a counterfeit, are you going to try to spend it like it's real money? No, because you know it's not real. You thought it was real, but now you know it is not. It's makes no sense to keep claiming quality wins over "ranked" teams when you know they were overrated after the fact. People thought they were good, but now we know they were not. We know Arkansas and Miami were crap teams, so let's stop getting high on copium and pretending we accomplished some amazing feat by beating a couple of overrated nobodies early in the season
CrystalLakeAgbu
Not many teams will end the season on a two game winning streak. Some will, but the momentum from the lsu win is good to take into next season.

I am sure the building has already started.
levypantsEOY
infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Wrong. Rankings don't matter until the end of the season.

In the world of desperate sunshine pumpers, you, my friend, are Spindletop.

LOL @ tennis comparison.
Faustus
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Of our 3 wins against AP Top 15 teams, only LSU will finish ranked.
. . .

I'm not sure that's a given.

If LSU loses to Georgia, and then again in its bowl game, the Tigers will finish 9-5.

No team with 5 losses made the final AP poll last year. A&M finished No. 26 with an 8-4 record.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/01/ap-top-25-college-football-poll-rankings-2021-final
TexAggie1999
Asserting that we beat 3 Top 15 teams with pride is just dumb. Miami sucks. Arkansas sucks. Miamis isn't even bowl eligible. Arkansas is 6-6 and below .500 in the conference. They should NOT have been Top 15. App State can be proud they beat a Power 5 team when they beat us, but they didn't really beat a #6 team. They beat a crappy Power 5 team. We should have never been #6.

We had one good win this season when we beat LSU. They probably didn't deserve to be anywhere near #5, but they are a pretty good team and we beat them solidly. Outside of that last game, we have NOTHING to be proud of in football this year. Hopefully that one good game doesn't mean we don't make necessary changes this year. If it does, then beating LSU may not turn out to be a good thing.

Ags4DaWin
Miami and Arkie were not ranked at the end of the season.

They were ranked high early, when rankings mean very little.

That is a false and delusional goal post.

The only great win was LSU.
agdad4x
"When rankings meant very little"

At one time we were ranked 5th -
amercer
AG
Well looks like LSU actually sucks. So I guess that win doesn't count either.
zephyr88
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.