Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We got 3 wins against AP Top 15 teams this year

10,026 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by zephyr88
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's the MOST in this Millennium.

(from Josh Pate's Youtube video)

Looking for some positives in a disastrous season.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I respect your ability to move goalposts.
Aggies2009
AG
I guess it's encouraging that with a depleted, true freshman-stacked roster, we lost a lot of games by one possession or less. The young guys grew up week to week and proved they can still play with the best. Hoping we can keep a lot of this unit together- they definitely have potential and show promise.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
We also had four losses to horrible teams plus three more.
nu awlins ag
AG
The miss state and Florida games are the ones where A&M lost by 12+, doesn't make the other losses better just pointing out the obvious.
AggieArchitect04
AG
aglaes
AG
I get that this is a joke but here is where those teams are now in this ranking site: College Football on TeamRankings.com

Miami - 71
Arkansas - 33
LSU - 13
UMass - 130

LSU, obviously a nice win, but they are likely to drop again after losing to Georgia.

Other current rankings of teams we lost to:
Alabama - 3
Miss St - 16
Ole Miss - 19
Florida - 28
S. Car - 40
Auburn - 52
App St - 61

They have us ranked at 44, with a SOS rank of 29.
one safe place
Wonder how many will be in the top 15 after all the games are played?

I suppose 7 of our opponents could claim they beat a top 6 team because they beat us.
amercer
AG
Remember, on Texags the only wins that count are ones against teams who FINISH the season undefeated.
Bill Superman
AG
This only confirms the AP knows just as much as the zoo.
nu awlins ag
AG
one safe place said:

I suppose 7 of our opponents could claim they beat a top 6 team because they beat us.

Well, if all 7 played A&M on the same Saturday when they were ranked #6 you'd have a point. It's at the time of the game being played.
infinity ag
TX_Aggie37 said:

No, there is no goalpost moving. We still have to win the NC. However, instead of wallowing in despair, it is nice to look at some positives also.
Aggie
AG
The " top 10 wins" record vs top 25 teams is the most irrelevant stat imaginable

Who gives a chit where they are ranked when you play, only poll that matters is the final poll.
The AP and coaches poll only exist the first part of the season to boost ratings and give people something to talk about .. poll should come out mid season like the CFR
App state getting credit for beating the #6 team in country - not even close
A&M saying two top 15 wins over Miami and Arkansas. No lol

infinity ag
aglaes said:

I get that this is a joke but here is where those teams are now in this ranking site: College Football on TeamRankings.com

Miami - 71
Arkansas - 33
LSU - 13
UMass - 130

LSU, obviously a nice win, but they are likely to drop again after losing to Georgia.

Alabama - 3
Miss St - 16
Ole Miss - 19
Florida - 28
S. Car - 40
Auburn - 52
App St - 61

Depends on how you look at it. If you are a Debbie Downer, then you will look only for negatives.
You can also say that we destroyed their spirit so badly that they fell apart totally after encountering A&M.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I know some discount "top 5/10/15" win with where that team finished the season, it doesn't work that way. Whatever they are ranked when you play them, it is a top 5/10/15 win.

The Auburn loss is the killer and was really inexcusable, barely struggled to score 10 points. That would be a 6th win and change the narrative based on the lsu W.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I do.
rangerdanger
AG
Over half our wins are vs top 15 opponents!
Bobaloo
We played like to Top 20 team against LSU and Arkie. We played like a bottom 20 team against the others.
aglaes
AG
Bobaloo said:

We played like to Top 20 team against LSU and Arkie. We played like a bottom 20 team against the others.
I would add Alabama game to the "played like top 20" list, even though we lost. Bama - even without Bryce - is a top 20 team.
JohnLA762
AG
With this logic, we must be the first top 10 team to lose 7 times…
W
AG
this is going to be the nauseating talking point in the offseason.

Arkansas at least finished 6-6 playing an SEC schedule, but...good grief...Miami went 5-7 in the ACC. They were bad
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
W said:

this is going to be the nauseating talking point in the offseason.

Arkansas at least finished 6-6 playing an SEC schedule, but...good grief...Miami went 5-7 in the ACC. They were bad
Miami got embarrased by Middle Tenneseee 45-31 at home on 9/24. That same Middle Tennesee team followed that huge upset with 3 straight conference losses to UTSA, UAB, and Western Kentucky by a combined score of 121-61.
NyAggie
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

I know some discount "top 5/10/15" win with where that team finished the season, it doesn't work that way. Whatever they are ranked when you play them, it is a top 5/10/15 win.

The Auburn loss is the killer and was really inexcusable, barely struggled to score 10 points. That would be a 6th win and change the narrative based on the lsu W.

app st even more so.

beat app st like you are supposed to and we are bowling
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Of our 3 wins against AP Top 15 teams, only LSU will finish ranked. If we had played like we did against LSU, we would have beaten Appalachian State, Ole Miss, and Auburn and finished 8-4 (4-4 SEC). Our 30-24 loss at South Carolina does not look as bad as it once did because 8-4 (4-4 SEC) South Carolina demolished 10-2 Tennessee 63-38 and upset Clemson 31-30 on the road. Our 31-28 loss to Ole Miss at home looks worse because they lost all of their other 4 games after a 7-0 start.

Hopefully, we can snap a 6-game road losing streak next year. We have not won a road a game since crushing Missouri 35-14 rout on 10/16/21 and against an SEC West team since beating 31-20 on 12/5/20. Our first opportunity to end our road losing streak is at Miami on 9/9/23. Our first true road SEC game will be at Tennessee on 10/14/23. We will be coming off a tough home game against Alabama, and Tennessee will be coming off a bye week. I believe our best chance to win a true SEC road game next year will be at Ole Miss on 11/4/23.
zephyr88
AG

nvrmind
TX_Aggie37
AG
infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

No, there is no goalpost moving. We still have to win the NC. However, instead of wallowing in despair, it is nice to look at some positives also.
I'm simply saying we didn't beat 3 top 15 teams because 2 of those teams aren't ranked at all. I am a person who looks at end of season rankings as opposed to ranking at the time of the game. None of our losses would consider us a top 6 win or even a top 25 win.
Dr RC
Lol at trying call Miami and Pig top 15 wins when they finished 5-7 and 6-6.

Where you finish is what matters. Early season rankings are garbage and everyone knows it.
Aggieair
infinity ag said:

aglaes said:

Miami - 71
Arkansas - 33
LSU - 13
UMass - 130

Alabama - 3
Miss St - 16
Ole Miss - 19
Florida - 28
S. Car - 40
Auburn - 52
App St - 61

Depends on how you look at it. If you are a Debbie Downer, then you will look only for negatives.
You can also say that we destroyed their spirit so badly that they fell apart totally after encountering A&M.
So App State destroyed our spirit so badly that we fell apart totally after encountering them?

Lol come on, dude. This is a huge reach. Miami and Arkansas were overrated, just like we were. The same thing happened every year with Sumlin- we would beat an overrated team earlier in the season, thump our chests over it, then collapse in the second half of the season.
infinity ag
TX_Aggie37 said:

infinity ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

I'm simply saying we didn't beat 3 top 15 teams because 2 of those teams aren't ranked at all. I am a person who looks at end of season rankings as opposed to ranking at the time of the game. None of our losses would consider us a top 6 win or even a top 25 win.

They were Top 15 when we played them. And that is all that matters. It is the same in tennis also, if you beat Alcaraz today, you have beaten the world No 1. If Alc sucks and falls to No 10, you still get the credit for beating a No 1.
infinity ag
Aggieair said:

infinity ag said:

aglaes said:

Miami - 71
Arkansas - 33
LSU - 13
UMass - 130

Alabama - 3
Miss St - 16
Ole Miss - 19
Florida - 28
S. Car - 40
Auburn - 52
App St - 61

So App State destroyed our spirit so badly that we fell apart totally after encountering them?

Lol come on, dude. This is a huge reach. Miami and Arkansas were overrated, just like we were. The same thing happened every year with Sumlin- we would beat an overrated team earlier in the season, thump our chests over it, then collapse in the second half of the season.

It is possible. But these rankings are subjective anyway. It is a bunch of coaches or press guys ranking them. Many teams are over or under rated. That is part of the deal.
Nino Brown
This thread made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Delete thread/delete season from memory bank
TexAgs91
AG
We even got some first downs too against top 15 schools!!!

I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Jawbreaker
TX_Aggie37 said:

Ohio state didn't do it.
Cry more.
Post removed:
by user
ABATTBQ11
AG
one safe place said:

Only App State gets to claim that
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.