Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Past NCAA team with fallout like this?

5,177 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Carmine Scarpacio
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ranked number 6 going into the season (plenty of teams have been overrated like TU), loses 5 in a row and may be underdogs to a team without a head coach, goes from best recruiting class ever to currently sitting at 20+ that also loses the number one LB in the nation, indefinitely suspending (4) 4+ star young players due to behavior issues in the locker room, and lastly seeing several players on the field quitting on players.

I am sure there have been other teams out there but this has been impressive...in a bad way. I thought about Nebraska with Scott Frost but he never had a good year, was just a bad fit. Sumlin is a candidate as we all know, if Jimbo doesn't have this team become bowl eligible he may be at the top of the list for highest drop to the bottom.
greg.w.h
AG
Being highly ranked is an illusion…
ccolley68
AG
OP, do you honestly still bowl eligibility is a possibility?
Windy City Ag
AG
2000 Alabama.

They were ranked #3 in the preseason and went 3-8 on the year. They ended the year with a 5 game skid and were not bowl eligible.

Mike DuBose did the honorable thing and resigned.

Bama recovered quickly by stealing this future superstar away from TCU.

AggieZeroFoxtrot
AG
There's always 2032
Aggieair
The 2017 FSU team was ranked #3 in the preseason polls.

Their previous 4 recruiting classes:
2017- #6
2016- #3
2015- #3
2014- #4

They went 5-6 before their head coach was hired away.
Rossticus
Too soon…
RepublicOfTexas
AG
Who would hire a head coach that can't utilize that kind of talent?
Aggieair
RepublicOfTexas said:

Who would hire a head coach that can't utilize that kind of talent?

West Virginia, hopefully. Maybe. Probably not.
TexasAggie_97
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Ranked number 6 going into the season (plenty of teams have been overrated like TU), loses 5 in a row and may be underdogs to a team without a head coach, goes from best recruiting class ever to currently sitting at 20+ that also loses the number one LB in the nation, indefinitely suspending (4) 4+ star young players due to behavior issues in the locker room, and lastly seeing several players on the field quitting on players.

I am sure there have been other teams out there but this has been impressive...in a bad way. I thought about Nebraska with Scott Frost but he never had a good year, was just a bad fit. Sumlin is a candidate as we all know, if Jimbo doesn't have this team become bowl eligible he may be at the top of the list for highest drop to the bottom.

Well we are not getting to 6 wins so we are not goi g to a bowl game.
3rdgenAg3
AG
I 'm like 99% sure their star qb was hurt in like the first game.
TexasAggiesWin
S
3rdgenAg3 said:

If you want to call Deondre Francois a star, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for you
AGinHI
AG
Windy City Ag said:

2000 Alabama.

They were ranked #3 in the preseason and went 3-8 on the year. They ended the year with a 5 game skid and were not bowl eligible.

Mike DuBose did the honorable thing and resigned.

Bama recovered quickly by stealing this future superstar away from TCU.

BGAg1997
AG
Pony Express teams in the 80s were always overhyped. They always thought "this was their year". They ended up getting busted...and Miami rose up.

That's what could happen if we don't fix things in the next year. We miss our chance and someone overtakes our rightful place as the "next elite program."
AGinHI
AG
BGAg1997 said:

That's what could happen if we don't fix things in the next year. We miss our chance and someone overtakes our rightful place as the "next elite program."
We've been a mediocre team for a long, long ass time.

When Texas and OU move to the SEC the SECw will no longer be the gauntlet it was when we joined in 2012. The balance of power appears to be shifting to the East. Saban will be on the decline. Basically, things will change.

And OU and tu will come in here, probably have some success, and be in our face about how they accomplished what we were unable to and the natural order of us Ags being second fiddle having been restored.
90ags
Aggieair said:

The 2017 FSU team was ranked #3 in the preseason polls.

Their previous 4 recruiting classes:
2017- #6
2016- #3
2015- #3
2014- #4

They went 5-6 before their head coach was hired away.
They lost their top QB in 2017 season opener vs Bama and the rest of that year was downhill from there...note lack of QB depth and recruiting misses at QB.

'...The beginning of the end for Fisher's tenure came in the 2017 season opener. In the second half of a season-opening 24-7 loss to Alabama, quarterback Deondre Francois tore the patellar tendon in his left knee. Francois' backup, James Blackman, was raw and untested, exposing FSU's several years of recruiting misses at quarterback since Winston's signing.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Fisher#cite_note-BR-9][9][/url] A close loss to NC State a week later knocked them out of the polls for the first time since the middle of the 2011 season. They went on to finish with their first on-field losing record in ACC play since joining the league."

His W/L records at FSU seemed better than decent....almost every year was double digit wins of 10+ (except for 2011 had only 9 wins), but had a sprinkle of games that were blowouts along the way....and it was the ACC though (not SEC West).

______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
ABATTBQ11
AG
2016 ND. Started at #10, then lost to a tu team that intimately went 5-7. Domers finished 4-8 under a horrific defense and instability at QB. In 2017 they bounced back to 10-3.
ABATTBQ11
AG
If you look at his FSU tenure, there are a LOT of WTF games where they played unranked teams and lost. Those teams sans 2013 had a knack for not showing up once or twice a year.
Aggieair
3rdgenAg3 said:

Sounds like a familiar problem with lack of talent/depth at QB...
EliteZags
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

If you want to call Deondre Francois a star, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for you
Francois would've routed App State
91AggieLawyer
AG
EliteZags said:

TexasAggiesWin said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

They had 3 losses by 6 or fewer points. However, some of their wins were tenuous, too. They beat Wake and Duke by a TD and a bad Syracuse team by a FG. But it was their defense that kept them in games, surrendering more than 30 points only 3x all season.

The only team they would have beaten in the SEC West that year would have been Arkansas. MAYBE us and Ole Miss at home, but that's pushing it.
EliteZags
AG
on this team I mean, though a lot of QB's woulda won that game
Carmine Scarpacio
91AggieLawyer said:

EliteZags said:

TexasAggiesWin said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

They had 3 losses by 6 or fewer points. However, some of their wins were tenuous, too. They beat Wake and Duke by a TD and a bad Syracuse team by a FG. But it was their defense that kept them in games, surrendering more than 30 points only 3x all season.

The only team they would have beaten in the SEC West that year would have been Arkansas. MAYBE us and Ole Miss at home, but that's pushing it.
The ACC was absolute garbage in those years. Clemson was still Clemsoning. Was also post-Urban Florida so very little in state recruiting competition and that nonconference game was easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.