Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Learned, Loved, Loathed: Florida 41, Texas A&M 24

November 6, 2022

Looking back on what was learned, loved and loathed in the Texas A&M 41-24 college football loss to Florida on Saturday:

Learned

Flu shots should be a team rule. A flu outbreak resulted in more than a dozen players being out of action. The list included freshman quarterback Conner Weigman.

Defensive end Fadil Diggs and cornerback Deuce Harmon are out for the remainder of the season. In a postgame press conference, coach Jimbo Fisher revealed they were sidelined with undisclosed injuries. Diggs is A&M’s leader in sacks and forced fumbles. He and Harmon are added to a list of players out for the season that includes — but is not limited to — offensive linemen Aki Ogunbiyi, Bryce Foster and Jordan Moko, quarterback Max Johnson and receiver Ainias Smith.

Max Wright can play a significant role in the passing game. Wright previously hasn’t been a big part of the offense. Coming into the game, Wright had just seven career receptions. However, he had a career-high five catches for a career-high 59 yards. He made a couple of difficult catches, too.

Loved

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Achane accounted for all three of the A&M’s touchdowns on Saturday afternoon.

Devon Achane is practically a weekly entry here. He definitely deserves some love for his work. Although he was also reportedly weakened by the flu, Achane rushed for 122 yards and two touchdowns and caught a touchdown pass. His first carry resulted in a 65-yard gain even though blocking on the play was subpar. The play was meant to go around the right end, but there was no running room. He broke a tackle attempt by Florida linebacker Ventrell Miller, reversed field, avoided two more tackle attempts and cut upfield. He was forced out of bounds at the Florida 10-yard line. An extra five yards was added because of a face mask penalty.

Emerging receiving duo of freshman Evan Stewart and sophomore Moose Muhammad. If A&M can keep them together, Stewart and Muhammad could emerge as one of the nation’s better tandems in future seasons. Stewart caught eight passes for 120 yards. Muhammad had 99 yards and seven catches. There were some drops, but they’re both first-year starters and should continue to get better.

The first-half offense. The Aggies were sharp and productive to start. They accumulated 307 yards of total offense and scored on four of five possessions to take a 24-20 halftime lead. However, there are two halves…

Loathed

…Then there was the scoreless second half. A&M gained only 29 yards in the third quarter. Quarterback Haynes King was sacked and lost fumbles twice in the fourth quarter.

King’s hesitancy to run. He isn’t expected to be a running threat like Florida’s Anthony Richardson, but there were plays on which King passed up opportunities to pick up positive yardage. King’s speed is supposed to be one of his greatest assets. Yet, he rarely takes advantage of it.

A&M’s run defense. Maybe the Aggies should consider going to an old-fashioned 5-2 alignment. Nothing else is working. Once again, A&M’s turnstile run defense was routinely gashed as Florida rolled up 291 rushing yards. That’s the fourth time this season the Aggies have allowed an opponent more than 240 rushing yards. Just in the last two games, A&M has surrendered 681 rushing yards. That’s more than Michigan has allowed in nine games this season. A&M seemed ill-prepared for Florida’s zone read. Richardson had touchdown runs of 10 and 60 yards off the zone read.

Discussion from...

Learned, Loved, Loathed: Florida 41, Texas A&M 24

8,586 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ScudAg56
Angry Beaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many freshmen got the "flu"?
Shadow of CuervoAg
Does .J. urkin not know how to coach defense?? I mean from the 3 man front starting at the beginning of the season, the poor tackling, and the sloppy assignment play. I know there have been a lot of injuries, but no excuse for getting gashed like we are.
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
Just Tired
it's all loathing for me at this point.
Bottlehead90
AG
Is "sidelined with undisclosed injuries " code for "in the portal "?

Too many injuries for a team to function.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Quit saying King is fast. This is football not line up and run a 40 not in pads. He plays slow. Stetson Bennett could outrun King in pads.
AWP 97
AG
I will be extremely disappointed if Durkin is back next year but I know how stubborn Fisher is. 2023 will be another year of King and Durkin underperforming.
ohioag67
AG
AWP 97 said:

I will be extremely disappointed if Durkin is back next year but I know how stubborn Fisher is. 2023 will be another year of King and Durkin underperforming.
I'm not really disagreeing with you on Durkin as I too am certain we'll see him at spring drills. I just think that Jimbo isn't tough enough to be a top head coach and fire someone who is obviously a disaster. I can see him making all kinds of excuses and then we'll be "rinse and repeat" next fall.
Aggie1188
AWP 97 said:

lol. King won't be here. It'll be Jimbo wasting Weigman and the WRs talent with his slow tempo, crappy schemes, and awful playcalling.
Dex_Mick_Bear
"Flu shots should be a team rule."

That line of thinking has died and isn't coming back!
Nosmo
AG
Flu Also called: Grippe, Influenza

Quote:

The flu, also called influenza, is a respiratory infection caused by viruses. Each year, millions of Americans get sick with the flu. Sometimes it causes mild illness. But it can also be serious or even deadly, especially for people over 65, newborn babies, and people with certain chronic illnesses.
Quote:

Sometimes people say that they have a "flu" when they really have something else. For example, "stomach flu" isn't the flu; it's gastroenteritis.
Quote:

The best way to prevent the flu is to get flu vaccine every year. But it's also important to have good health habits like covering your cough and washing your hands often. This can help stop the spread of germs and prevent the flu.

Gastroenteritis Also called: Stomach flu

Quote:

Have you ever had the "stomach flu?" What you probably had was gastroenteritis - not a type of flu at all. Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the lining of the intestines caused by a virus, bacteria, or parasites. Viral gastroenteritis is the second most common illness in the U.S. The cause is often a norovirus infection. It spreads through contaminated food or water or by contact with an infected person. The best prevention is frequent hand washing.
No vaccine for "stomach flu".
ScudAg56
I also noticed King was not running even when the "read" said he should. I assumed it was because he was THE ONLY QB ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER and was told not to risk injury.
ScudAg56
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.