Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How tu Won Their Last MNC…

11,641 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by levypantsEOY
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They simplified their offense (more appropriately "dumbed it down") for Vince Young, and let him use his athletic prowess to win games…

For college offenses, NFL sophistication isn't always required because of the athletic disparity between programs…

This is why Jimbo's offense has lost us games…. The complicated nature of his offense makes the better athletes have to think too darn much during the play… Kills their talent advantage…

No Cheesecake Factory menu is really needed…. The App State loss is a prime example of his offense killing our talent advantage…
Howdy Dammit
AG
Yup
My Name Is Judge
Literally everyone except Jimbo understands this
Ian Neff
AG
That cracked me up.
Sq 17
The Zoo Never misses a chance to pile on n VY
Jimbo offensive scheme is ineffective and Way past its expiration date
NoahAg
LOL, do we have a Vince Young on the roster? How about his o-line?
Let's go, Brandon!
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
NoahAg said:

LOL, do we have a Vince Young on the roster? How about his o-line?

that texas offensive line was very very salty. i have followed recruiting for quite some time and they signed an offensive line class that was somewhat comparable to our defensive line class this past season. by their senior years they were really good. throw in VY and the rest is history.
Texagsubscriber
My Name Is Judge said:

Can somebody dumb it down for Jimbo?
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
eATMup-Reveille
They were very fortunate that Pete Carroll kept the Heisman Trophy winner on the sideline on the most important play of the game. Old Pete has a knack for horrible calls at the most crucial times.
WC94
AG
No instant replay?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Texagsubscriber said:

My Name Is Judge said:

Let's see, Jimbo's Florida State team won with a Heisman trophy winning QB who many claim isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so if that's the case then how was the offensive too complicated for that QB?
AggieArchitect04
AG
Dere Cote...
GolfAg93
S
ABATTBQ87 said:

Texagsubscriber said:

My Name Is Judge said:

Let's see, Jimbo's Florida State team won with a Heisman trophy winning QB who many claim isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so if that's the case then how was the offensive too complicated for that QB?

This is a pretty blatantly false statement. Lol Winston made some poor off-field choice, and he may be a goofball.. but he has one of the highest Football IQs you'll see.

Read what Josh Freeman said about him during draft analysis.
NoahAg
Also, VY was in his 3rd season.
Let's go, Brandon!
Bobaloo
Mack had eight highly ranked recruiting classes before that 2005 season. It was also his first Big XII title. He also never won the ACC despite having really good teams. VY was a multi-generational offensive weapon at QB. They won the XII title game by nine TDs. Excellent OL and TE. Very good receivers. Not much to dislike about that offense.
Mule
AG
Here's to Jimbo getting out of his own way and doing the most difficult thing in one's profession...letting go
Texas Aggies
SilverTongueDevil
eATMup-Reveille said:

They were very fortunate that Pete Carroll kept the Heisman Trophy winner on the sideline on the most important play of the game. Old Pete has a knack for horrible calls at the most crucial times.

They were also very fortunate that J Tressell decided to alternate QB's I'm the game at Ohio St. if Troy Smith plays the whole game they win.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Aggie Dad Sip
SilverTongueDevil said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

They were also very fortunate that J Tressell decided to alternate QB's I'm the game at Ohio St. if Troy Smith plays the whole game they win.

The cold hard facts are that Texas played two of the top five teams in the final AP poll in 2005 and beat them both. They also won their CCG 70-3. I don't care who you're playing, 70-3 is hardcore. And they did it in 2.5 quarters.

Yeah, Ohio State and USC made schematic mistakes that Texas took advantage of, but in 2004 and 2005, Texas went 24-1 with a Natty. That was a great team.
Houstonag
AG
USC played a horrible game. The set up was the year before where the sips were given the KU game by the refs. This allowed them to play a weak Mich. game in the Rose Bowl setting up the next year easy scheduled and a high rank.
blutow
That NC started with the recruitment of Chris Sims. Sims never materialized on the field, but his recruitment resulted in a stupid level of talent flowing in for several years. Mack and Greg Davis were not doing anything special with the x's and o's, they just had NFL players at almost every position (plus their backups). 24 players on that 2005 team eventually went on to the NFL. I think the NFL numbers for the 2005 USC team was similar. The only game that Texas didn't cover the spread against in 2005 was the A&M game.

You don't need a complicated offensive scheme to win football games. Scheme can win some games against better talent, but talent and execution are the most important components for winning consistently. The current O-line and QB play is nowhere near the level required to win consistently.
levypantsEOY
Houstonag said:

USC played a horrible game. The set up was the year before where the sips were given the KU game by the refs. This allowed them to play a weak Mich. game in the Rose Bowl setting up the next year easy scheduled and a high rank.

"Easy scheduled" lol they literally had the number one most difficult schedule in 2005. This takes exactly four seconds to look up.
Some serious analysis there pal!

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2006-01-05

aggiedad7
Bobaloo said:

Mack had eight highly ranked recruiting classes before that 2005 season. It was also his first Big XII title. He also never won the ACC despite having really good teams. VY was a multi-generational offensive weapon at QB. They won the XII title game by nine TDs. Excellent OL and TE. Very good receivers. Not much to dislike about that offense.
Receivers were only slightly above average. Sweed was the only known name. TE was very good and carved up USC. They were loaded at RB though.
ashley
eATMup-Reveille said:

He won a NC and a Super Bowl.
Find someone else to ***** about.
Aggie Dad Sip
blutow said:

That NC started with the recruitment of Chris Sims. Sims never materialized on the field, but his recruitment resulted in a stupid level of talent flowing in for several years. Mack and Greg Davis were not doing anything special with the x's and o's, they just had NFL players at almost every position (plus their backups). 24 players on that 2005 team eventually went on to the NFL. I think the NFL numbers for the 2005 USC team was similar. The only game that Texas didn't cover the spread against in 2005 was the A&M game.

You don't need a complicated offensive scheme to win football games. Scheme can win some games against better talent, but talent and execution are the most important components for winning consistently. The current O-line and QB play is nowhere near the level required to win consistently.

Chris Simms never panned out? Really? He went 26-6 at Texas and was having decent success in the NFL until he nearly died from a lacerated spleen that the Tampa Bay doctor ignored even though Simms was pissing straight blood in the locker room at halftime.

SilverTongueDevil
Aggie Dad Sip said:

blutow said:

Chris Simms never panned out? Really? He went 26-6 at Texas and was having decent success in the NFL until he nearly died from a lacerated spleen that the Tampa Bay doctor ignored even though Simms was pissing straight blood in the locker room at halftime.

Agree. He was a very good college QB. Big time name 5 star and ended up 3rd round draft pick. Nowhere near a bust. They just couldn't get past some very good OU teams.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
war hymn aggie
AG
Mike Leach offenses are supposedly very simple to teach & understand as a player.
He's known as a great offensive mind.
Supposedly, less than 1 dozen pass plays to learn.
He has run the same plays for many years now.
His offense still thrives, even without elite talent.
Opposing defenses have yet to consistently shut down his strategy.

He now owns a 9-4 won/loss record against us as a HC & I can bet that we had more talent on our campus than he had on his in pretty much every year.

Leach's offense have historically had an identity year in & year out. They move the ball effectively by passing 1st but are surprisingly good in their run game, as well.

In Jimbo's 5 years now, we only had an offensive identity in his 3rd year.

His teams have also started off slowly every year that he's been here, at least offensively.

We've been told my many since he came here that his offensive philosophy is very complex and that it takes a while to fully understand it. Well, it's his 5th season here and we have one of the worst offenses in the SEC, for the 2nd consecutive year.

It's very frustrating to witness.

IMO, Jimbo has basically refused to adapt to his opponents' defensive strengths & weaknesses, even tho he had a rep as a great offensive mind when he arrived on campus.

It's time for Jimbo to go back to the basics like Sherman did in 2010 & adapt the playbook to keep the offense simple, focus on your strengths (Achane) like Leach has done over all these years & let things play out.

We have way too much talent on this side of the ball to struggle the way we have in Jimbo's 5th year here.

Sometimes it's better to just use KISS (acronym for keep it simple, stupid) and let talent take over.

Just this old Ags opinion.....

34blast
eATMup-Reveille said:

My favorite idiotic thing Carroll did on the last drive was play coverage and dare Young to run. Texas was salty across the board with a freak athletic runner playing QB. Dumbing things down worked in that case and would never work with our QBs. Idiotic posters
Actual Talking Thermos
Greg Davis won a Broyles award. VY was that good.
eATMup-Reveille
ashley said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

He won a NC and a Super Bowl.
Find someone else to ***** about.

Big deal, as that doesn't mean he didn't blow a championship opportunity at both levels.
blutow
Aggie Dad Sip said:

blutow said:

Bad choice of words. He never lived up to the hype with his dad being a superstar NFL qb. He was supposed to be the savior of Texas football and destined for Heisman, NC, etc. A very good QB, but not a generational talent that many were dreaming of. Not fair expectations, but most fans of that era don't think of him as a success story at Texas. Many fans would pick Applewhite over Sims despite Simms having much more talent. The team around him was good, but not great yet, so maybe he just never got a fair chance to be great. I see the same thing potentially happening with Arch. Yeah, he's got the name and a strong arm, but people are ready to hand him the NC mvp and put him in the pro football hall of fame. You never know how these things will play out until they get on the field. I think people forget how big of a deal the Chris Simms recruitment was. Not Arch Manning big with all the social media/NIL crap that goes on these days, but not far off on the national scene. Remember that Texas had sucked for a long time when Simms committed, very similar situation with Arch (and Ewars for that matter). I'm a Sims fan and I give him big credit in the turn around of Texas football in the 2000's, but his biggest impact wasn't on the field.
rootube
AG
The OP is completely wrong. Horn stockpiled talent for years and then won the big one with a generational talent at QB in Vince Young. Which was kinda Jimbo's playbook at FSU.
Old Sarge
AG
I thought t.u. did an excellent job in the MNC game, by having the officials giving Vints lots of slack when his knee hit the ground, then pitching the ball forward on really big plays that made the game. (hint: DOWN where the knee hit, THEN a forward pitch outside the tackle box) for a TD play IIRC.

Officials put the ball on the goal line and waved t.u. in.

Bunk.

And we'll see TONS of that when they hit the SEC b/c t.u. winning = $$$$

Puke.
Green is the new RED.
Meximan
Sq 17 said:

The Zoo Never misses a chance to pile on n VY
Jimbo offensive scheme is ineffective and Way past its expiration date

We can say he was a dunce while admitting the dude was a baller when it mattered. Even in the pros he had a winning record due to him willing his team to wins, but because he couldn't grasp advanced concepts and had a wonky throwing motion teams gave up on him.
Agsrback12
There needs to be a balance. Sumlin years were simple offenses but SEC DCs figure things out. Jimbo can dumb it down some and still stay complex enough to continue to score on SEC defenses. He just needs a respected OC he can consult and relinquish controls to.
dixichkn
AG
Boy look at all the sips running to their team's defense on this Aggie board…….at least one of them is honest enough to admit it (with his username) though. Unlike LevySip.

They're not totally wrong though. That team was powered by a damn solid O line. I think we're all seeing this year what a difference that makes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.