Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did anyone here see Weigman play in HS?

9,736 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krazykat
phatty26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His release is quicker than both king of johnson. Not even close.
MagnumLoad
NoahAg said:

MagnumLoad said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO PLAYS QUARTERBACK.
It absolutely does. Most important position. Great quarterbacks make up for a lot of other problems. Weigman is not your average freshman qb. He squats over 400 lbs and has a monster dead lift. He is ready and much better than King or Johnson.

Awesome! How many points does a 400lb squat get us?
Point is he is physically ready. AND he is the most talented qb throwing and running.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Sterling82
Wicked Good Ag said:

Can he make an accurate throw off his initial read within under two seconds?? And will that receiver be open.

Because that is all the time he gets to make a decision before getting hit and or running.

There are so many deficiencies in the team that one player isn't going to change this teams trajectory.

I complete philosophical change is necessary. And that Astarte with coaching staff and ends with Fisher. You don't play him until Florida IMO. if King gets injured you play Bolt

I'm sure what he will see will be more complex than what he saw in HS but, based on what I've seen, he gets the ball out early. Pressure has been an issue but listen to the post game wrap. Both former players indicated deep routes have been open but we haven't thrown them in favor of the check downs. It's not all a consequence of time to throw.
GigEmReggie
Yes, I've seen. Throws TDs by the hundreds. And if he started, he'd consume the Tide with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.
jaxisback
The minute Weigman hits the field, we're going to be a better team.

I've seen him play many times. No prospect is a 100% sure thing, but I've compared him often to Drew Brees. I think Weigman is one of the best, if not, the best Texas prospect I've seen since Drew.

I don't compare him to Johnny or Pat Mahomes. Even though Connor is very athletic, the things that set him apart are his accuracy with the football and his God given ability to know the timing of a play and stay within it (something we've struggled with enormously). He has the kind of talents that pro QB's must possess.

He also has fantastic mechanics and elite natural arm talent. Those that saw him in the Spring game saw the difference between Connor throwing the ball in the wind and all of our other guys throwing it in the wind, one of the ultimate tests of overall throwing talent.

Nothing is certain, but the likelihood of Connor being a great QB is high.

There is no sense holding him in reserve, he's only going to be here 3 years and he has the self-confidence to weather any storms that stepping on a college field are going to throw at him.
infinity ag
All well and good.

But I will need to see CW play at the college level before I anoint him as the next messiah.
Aggie1188
FAT SEXY said:

Yall really want to throw this kid in there behind this swiss cheese o-line don't yall.
That's exactly why we need Weigman in there. Did you even play football in your life? You have zero logic. Weigman is evasive and can create time, space to throw, and even first downs with his legs. The fact the OL is bad is literally why he is so needed for us right now.
Aggie1188
AggieArchitect04 said:

Oh, really? A QB who can out-maneuver the constant pass rush wouldn't be more useful? Lmao
Aggie1188
phatty26 said:

t-ag-right said:

I would go as far as to say Connor played better competition than what Longview High School did.
yes for sure and he had worse offensive line and less overall talent. He was beat up and out of the playoffs because of the lack of oline. He is a very good runner as well.

I have been hearing that he is the best qb at practice now.
Conner actually got a concussion in his senior season's playoff, or his team likely makes the state game easily.
Aggie1188
Wicked Good Ag said:

Can he make an accurate throw off his initial read within under two seconds?? And will that receiver be open.

Because that is all the time he gets to make a decision before getting hit and or running.

There are so many deficiencies in the team that one player isn't going to change this teams trajectory.

I complete philosophical change is necessary. And that Astarte with coaching staff and ends with Fisher. You don't play him until Florida IMO. if King gets injured you play Bolt
Yes, Weigman can do all that. Weigman's accuracy in the short and mid-range passes in the Spring game was very accurate. Much more than King or Max.

QB is literally the one position that can make an average team so much better, especially a running QB. Look at Kansas State recently.
Sterling82
infinity ag said:

All well and good.

But I will need to see CW play at the college level before I anount him as the next messiah.

Nobody is anointing him. They're simply describing what sort of HS player he was. We all know how it translates remains to be seen. But, given where we are, CAN WE PLEASE SEE THAT?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I'd rather Weigman coach.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
One thing Conner has, that I don't believe Max or King possess, is the ability to anticipate. He has the ability to anticipate when and where a receiver will be open. We saw a glimpse of that in the Spring game on that pass across the middle to Yulkeith. When Conner released that ball, Yulkeith was covered. By the time the ball got there, Brown had two yards on the defenders. That comes from just having great football instincts. Anticipation is something the majority of QB's struggle with. Even in the pro's. It seems like most wait until they see the receiver is open before throwing.
Woking Ag
AG
Couple quick notes/stories about Conner fwiw. Always wanting to protect the privacy of these kids, but I feel like these are pretty benign stories that still say a lot about his competitive drive.

A couple years ago when it was still pretty quiet everywhere because of Covid, I was driving past the elementary school down the street and was surprised to see a group of kids playing football. It was Conner and his WRs. That's another thing I meant to say about him playing at Bridgeland. He always seemed to be on the same page as his receivers. If plays broke down and his receivers were covered, I felt like he would thrown them open.

I was talking with a friend whose oldest son plays baseball at a pretty high level and he played youth ball with Conner for a few years. This dad played college baseball himself and is very competitive in his own right… he said Conner is the most competitive person he's ever met.
Craigy
My friend is on the defensive staff that beat Longview in the playoffs with King and wasn't too impressed after the film and seeing him in the game. He didn't hate him he just felt he wasn't elite. So there is that.
oysterbayAG
AG
Wouldn't that be something if Connor beat #1 Alabama in his first start. The expression on Saban's face would be priceless !
rsf0626
Lilly Biucci said:

Only watched one full game of his, and he was unbelievable. He was the whole team. But that also forced him to play hero ball with a lot of questionable passes into tight coverage, and he definitely needs a redshirt year to get accustomed to playing within a system. I'm guessing he'd throw as many INTs as King if he starts now. A rough freshman year can ruin a QB's confidence and decision making.

This is true, but he needs real game experience at some point. Let him take his lumps and learn so he's ready to go for next year

This is how it works in the nfl with rookies all the time. See Josh Allen

But jimbo probably doesnt want to burn Conner'a redshirt for a lost season
rsf0626
TheWoodsAg
AG
Saw him against The Woods and KO. The thing that stuck out to me was the ball was always in the right place at the right time. Good anticipation and a very allusive runner.
Dr. Tinkle
I have seen Weigman play several times and I will say the dude can ball. He has something about him that is really special. Do I think he is going to do something special under this crap offense? No. However, I do think he can take what Jimbo is deficient at and turn it into something better. He is far better than Johnson and King and it isn't close. Plus...the time is now. The future is now. We aren't going anywhere with Johnson or King. Jimbo has already pulled King knowing he can't lead this team and now we are going back to him? What do you think that says to the team? I think this weekend you are going to see the first time this team quits on Jimbo. They have no desire to play under King. It is evident that he can't do it. He hasn't even played a good team yet and can't play well. This is Bama and it wont go well for King.
Meanmachine
AG
I saw him play in person two times, you can't coach instincts and he has them. Quick release. I saw Brees play in HS live and they have the same release. Connor is a better athlete, my closet comparison live is Andrew Luck. Luck was bigger but they have the same moxie. Our o line will be 100% better when he is behind them throwing the ball on time. He will take his lumps but he is the best qb we have right now. After the bye he should be starting and the rest will see for themselves.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Aggie1188 said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Oh, really? A QB who can out-maneuver the constant pass rush wouldn't be more useful? Lmao

Here's an idea: how bout we eliminate having a constant pass rush?

You're asking one guy to fix the failings of 5. Lol
4into5
A really good quick, escapable QB can make a poor Oline look decent. Remember JFF? He was at his best third and long with the D pouring through the line. That is a position I used to love because more often that not he would destroy them.

I have seen Connor, JFF and Vince Young play in High school. Vince was absolutely an eagle amongst turkeys. He could do it all. When I first saw JFF he looked even better than Vince, but he played at Kerrville a small HS.
When I saw Connor he was playing in the relatively competitive Houston high school scene and he looked better that anybody playing behind a rather average OL.
Besides what has already been said I saw great ability to throw his receivers open, great escapability, ability to run laterally while still having his shoulders aligned to throw accurately, ability to throw while extremely off balance. In other words JFF stuff. He is the real deal. He can and will take the entire team on his back and make them play competitively.
Sure we can wait until next year but if things don't improve we have no idea who will be left. It is time!
MagnumLoad
Indeed it is time. Problem is Fisher. He keeps saying best player plays. His idea of best is perplexing. I think we have mass transfers if he doesn't pull his head out.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
snowdog90
Weigman is the best of the 3 easily. I really think Haynes is in over his head. I hope he does well, I hope the OL protects him, but Conner should be starting. I agree, best not to start him against bama, but the future is now.
infinity ag
Sterling82 said:

infinity ag said:

All well and good.

But I will need to see CW play at the college level before I anount him as the next messiah.

Nobody is anointing him. They're simply describing what sort of HS player he was. We all know how it translates remains to be seen. But, given where we are, CAN WE PLEASE SEE THAT?

I just wanted to say the word "anoint" man
And I mistyped it too.
DGrimesAg92
RealTalk said:

BLSD said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS^^^^^^^^

For the 1,000,000th time!! IT'S NOT THE QB!!!
But a great QB can hide or make up for the deficiencies in the coaching and/or scheme. Imagine if we got JFF playing in this offense - escaping the rush with his legs, making the difficult throws, making something out of nothing, etc.
Like he did in year 2 under Sumlin?
DGrimesAg92
Aggie1188 said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Didn't play much football, did ya?

When you constantly have "VERY FAST" defensive lineman, line backers and DB's in the backfield, it doesn't matter if you're Usain Bolt, you're not "out-maneuvering" anyone.
Gyles Marrett
I watched everyone of his games. The kid is the best high school QB I've ever watched....and I even lived in the Allen area and watched Murray many of his games there at the time. Watching his high school games I really had no doubt in my mind this kid would be the starter day 1 since he early enrolled. I think we are just wasting time and losing games with our best QB sitting on the bench.
alamogeorge
AG
All these Ag tags and no one can spell Connor.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
dcg4403
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS.
Paul Dirac
Connir will be grate.
FlyingAg
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Yall really want to throw this kid in there behind this swiss cheese o-line don't yall.

**** it already. The difference between HS and college FB is like the difference between college and professional especially in the SEC. A few people excel but a lot are mediocre or **** the bed until a couple of seasons later. Case in point, JFF was the GOAT here and won the Heisman. But as far as the NFL, well you know the rest. His style just would not work in the NFL
But we'll all see the result in HD 4K on Sat. So get it over with already.
[i][b]Time to bring back the Wrecking Crew![/i][/b]
KGP
I saw every game Conner played in high school and thought I'd add my .02...
Most everything that has been posted is pretty accurate, He never played Klein Oak, but Bridgeland beat both Klein Cain and Klein Collins twice. He is an extremely competitive kid and has all the alpha dog traits. Teammates rally around him, and he is very popular with them. Very mobile, because with Bridgeland's line he had to be. Great runner, very elusive and fast enough. Very tough. He had a knee sprain in the middle of his junior year that was kept pretty quiet that curtailed his designed runs and he looked to throw more when scrambling due to that. Not many kids would have been playing with that injury, especially with his future in mind, but he did it anyway and excelled. No way Bridgeland makes the playoffs without him in that stretch. His junior year Bridgeland had a decent enough running game, but his senior year he pretty much was the running game due to a severe knee injury to the #1 RB in the 3rd round game of their junior season. Without injuries he would have run for 1000+ yards both his junior and senior seasons, to go with 700+ splitting time as a sophomore.

A few specific game notes from his senior season:
Conner torched Cain in the first game of his senior year on ESPN, both passing and running. It was an absolute massacre. He threw for 350+ and 5 tds, ran for almost 100 and 2 tds, and caught a pass for a 47 yard td (more on that later). 54-14 win and it wasn't even that close truthfully.
In game 3 vs The Woodlands, Conner threw for 300 yards and led the offense to 24 points.IN THE FIRST QUARTER. The Woodlands started controlling the clock with their running game after that, but he still ended up with 468 yards passing in a 39-35 win.
In game 5 with a comfortable lead against Cy Woods in the 3rd quarter, someone thought it was a good idea to put him at receiver again. He pulled his hamstring and missed the next game the following week against Cy Ranch and played just a few ill-advised snaps the next week against Cy Park...both losses. Disappointing to him and his teammates because they most likely run the table in district with him healthy.
In the first round of the playoffs against Collins he didn't have eye-popping stats but put the team on his back to get the win despite Collins playing keep-away and having the ball for 34+ minutes compared to Bridgeland's 13+. There were some horrendous calls by the refs, with plenty of help from Klein ISD's athletic director in their ear chiming in, that aided that considerably. Long story short, he drove the offense down the field for the game winning TD as time expired.
In the second round against College Park he breaks off an 89 yard td with about 5 minutes left, ends up being the deciding score. In the 3rd round against Cedar Hill he gets knocked out cold on a questionable hit in the end zone on a TD run that ends up being his final play in high school. With no offense to speak of without him, Bridgeland keeps it close for 2 1/2 quarters but falls to Tomball in the regional final. Certainly would have been a different game (and possibly different outcome) with him healthy.
fightinag
AWP 97 said:

Basically this. I'm sure a Heisman level QB would help but this team has problems that are way deeper.
and they begin with 1980's play calling
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Why would you play your most skilled QB when you can instead play your least skilled QB?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.