Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Layden Robinson
Ainias Smith
Demani Richardson
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies eye top-25 battle with No. 13 Miami

September 12, 2022

No. 24 Texas A&M must turn the page and right the ship, beginning this week as the 13th-ranked Miami Hurricanes travel to Aggieland. Ahead of a Saturday primetime contest, Jimbo Fisher, Layden Robinson, Ainias Smith and Demani Richardson spoke to the media.

The following are live, paraphrased notes from Jimbo Fisher’s Monday afternoon media availability:

• Give credit to a good Appalachian State team. We did not execute. We had opportunities. Defensively, we did a nice job. We kept them to 17 points, and with that, you can expect to win the game. It was a hard-fought game. We need to win first-down battles. Offensively, we did not execute at a high enough level. We had two critical turnovers. We have to play better and execute better. Special teams did a good job. We want to get Ainias Smith more opportunities on kicks. We got to make sure we get the field goals right. We have to practice well.

• Our quarterbacks know exactly what they are doing. Haynes King made throws and missed throws. 

• In time, I would hand the offense over. It’s a collective group decision but based on the offensive staff. Whatever it takes to win. My ego would not get in the way.

• I know we have a good team and good players. I believe in our players and what we're doing.

• There could possibly be a quarterback change. We will evaluate every position this week.

• Miami has a great team this year. The mistakes are fixable. It’s cause and effect. That’s everchanging whether you are winning or losing. 

• Bryce Foster will be back in practice today.

• You have to get guys in the box and be dynamic. We have to keep the ball on offense and not shoot ourselves in the foot. We have to be able to convert on third down and put the pressure on them.

• When we played Miami at Florida State, we had good players, and it was a good rivalry. We found those inches. A couple of those games were one-possession games. 

• There are so many young players. We have to get those guys to execute. Up front, it’s a matter of time, and we will see that this week in practice.

• We are playing with exact consistency. I thought we had a good week of practice last week. It’s not on all the guys. That's on coaching too.

• We’ll see if Bryce Foster will step back in as a starter. We’ll evaluate that this week.

• “Buy in” for an older guy like him is every play and every snap in like a game rep. It’s like the Michael Jordan documentary. That’s what the great teams do. Every play in practice matters, and you have to do it perfectly. That’s what Ainias Smith is talking about with buy-in. That’s an evergoing process. Every rep has to be perfect.

• We have to execute and coach better. Having senior leadership and four and fifth-year guys matter. Appalachian State had those guys, but that's not an excuse for anything. The 18-year-old mind is not the same as a 22-year-old.

• A quarterback is your mother. Haynes is a young guy right now, and he is cleaning up his own messes. There are three or four plays I wish he would have made. He knows that and would be the first one to tell you that. 

• Physicality is the way you practice. You have to learn how to practice and play the game physically. We played physically. We were not technical.

• The freshmen have to explain, talk and communicate. That’s everything in life. they don't want to fail and were not going to put them in that position. 
Discussion from...

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies eye top-25 battle with No. 13 Miami

17,598 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by runontexas
RoyVal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good questions being asked. Jimbo didn't take offense to anything so it seems positive that he's truly open to making changes. time will tell I guess.
GrayMatter
AG
Don't tell me, show me.
Camrossmartin
One thing I'll give Jimbo credit for is that he doesn't BS. He says it like it is. So I believe him when he says he's open to making changes.

What I'm still curious about is whether he can adjust without going back to his old ways.

What I'd love to see going forward, and what I think has led to our best teams with him, is a simpler offense that beats up on defenses; pound the rock and air it out only when the defense is defenseless. We're all wanting a Wrecking Crew Defense. I want to see the offense adopt the same mindset; don't threaten to out-technique an opposing defense. Threaten to punish that defense to the point where your opponent isn't the same after they've played you.
KatyAggie01
It was better than normal with respect to his tolerance of questions but that's to be expected when you embarrass yourself and the University. A bully is always nicer the day after getting whipped in the park.

I still cringe when I hear the spiel about excecute in practice and execute in the game. WTF has Jimbo been doing for 5 years where this is still a weekly problem? That's the follow up that wasn't asked. Also what wasn't brought up in the questioning is Hayne's stats...after 13 quarters of play he has 5 TD's passing and 5 INT's. Jimbo, if this doesn't warrant a change, what in the world does in your book?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He has never not tolerated any questions and always listed to and answered questions as honestly and truthfully as he can.

Re: execution, no different than Saban-speak, have to execute, don't do it until you get it right do it until you can't get it wrong. Executing in practice is not executing in the game.
Aggie1188
You can tell Jimbo doesn't want to be considered an overrated bum fraud of a head coach, which is why he is finally open to hiring an offensive-coordinator.
PyriteAg
AG
RoyVal said:

Good questions being asked. Jimbo didn't take offense to anything so it seems positive that he's truly open to making changes. time will tell I guess.

Really hoping it's a sign of Jimbo taking accountability rather than him just playing politics extremely well again.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Why is he smiling?
DGrimesAg92
Man of words......many many words
JimbloFisher
AG
I would've liked someone to just ask point blank who is starting at QB this week. A couple of them tiptoed up to that question. I don't think he would've actually answered directly but I'd still like to see him respond.
IDaggie06
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why is he smiling?
Around 75 millions reasons
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Aggie1188 said:

You can tell Jimbo doesn't want to be considered an overrated bum fraud of a head coach, which is why he is finally open to hiring an offensive-coordinator.

Yeah, I'm hoping his ego "to be known as a winner" is greater than his ego to "do it his way."
Royal27
AG
I found it a little concerning that proof of the "wake up call" is players showing up on time to everything since the game. Uhm.... Tardiness was enough of a problem for that to be a sign of getting serious ???
dcg4403
AG
Well, at least he is saying all the right things which is no suprise for Jimbo. I kinda wish he would have admitted that the team STUNK ASS for most the game versus spinning it as a few critical plays were flawed.

Lets see if those words come to fruition or it is nothing but coach speak. Hopefully he works to make the transition to a full-time HC and hands over OC duties. I do think it is better for Jimbo personally and better for the team to have a truly dedicated OC.

I will cross my fingers that we see Max and different play calling against Miami. Haynes had had his shot. He may become a great QB someday but this team needs an immediate change at the position. Max should get a chance to prove himself. I really dont see a downside as Haynes isnt showing a lot of upside (unlike I originally thought w Haynes vs Max).

Come on, Jimbo. Make some needed changes and move forward. The love can and will return. We are fanatics for a reason.
MaroonStain
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why is he smiling?

It's what true people do when they are open and being vulnerable. Versus a Mensa Herman, Fran, Sumlin and other ilk. Jimbo knows the ramifications of that FING HORRIBLE loss.

What he did in this presser is not what many do.
AggieTFA06
AG
Thank you for the notes. I can't bring myself to watch this press conference. I'm still disgusted with Aggie football and won't be spending a dime until this team can quit embarrassing this university. I would have preferred a public apology.

Hope to see this team improve.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
spherical
AG
GrayMatter said:

Don't tell me, show me.

I keep seeing this… It was a press conference. Did you want him to not respond?
Cojack
App state snacked that smile off but it's back again
Cojack
He will start King, watch and see, his ego is still not hit rock bottom
PA24
AG
He will start King because he should.
newbie11
But….Haynes didn't make those plays. He hasn't made those plays consistently since he's been playing. Go back and watch the tape of lsu game last year and you'll see a qb make those plays. And….jimbo still wouldn't play him.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
PA24 said:

He will start King because he should.

Lol
runontexas
AG
In Jimbo We Trust! LFG!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.