22 Players in 22 Days: #20 Chase Lane

August 1, 2022

Position: Wide Receiver
Classification: Redshirt Junior
Hometown: Houston, TX
Listed Height: 6’0”
Listed Weight: 190 lbs.

Key notes from Liucci’s thoughts on Lane

• I’ve said 16,000 times that I think Chase Lane is a guy that people don’t appreciate what he brings to the table. I go all the way back to after the Florida game, there was a lot of frustration in Bright because Caleb Chapman had emerged as an outside threat, and he went down. Injuries were a theme for him. That forced Chase outside. Ainias Smith couldn't do as much running back cause Chase had to go outside. That changed so much. Chase had a touchdown to start the game to start that 17-18 play drive against Florida. He had that massive catch. It was quite possibly a game-winning catch.

• Chase caught a pass against Mississippi State and outran their entire defense to the endzone. A good defense. The catch against Auburn in the fourth-quarter drive where A&M needed a touchdown. He made some huge plays.

• He was hurt last year and became not really a factor. Now, you got a guy that's more muscled up. We saw him in the spring, and I'm going, “Is that Chase?” In pads, he looked great. He had a good spring. He's fully back and going to be a key part of the receiver rotation.

• Now, I think Evan Stewart is going to be a day one starter. We keep hearing about Noah Thomas. Chris Marshall as well. You got guys like Moose Muhammad that finish the season really strong. It is a crowded group.

• If anyone believes that Chase isn't going to come up with big catches this year and help A&M win football games, you don't know what people in Bright, in the locker room and the quarterbacks think about him. He runs great routes. We talk to the quarterbacks all the time. It’s big when the quarterback trusts that you will read the coverage right. I don't think A&M will have a receiver better at that than Chase. If it's not him, it's Ainias. I think Chase may be the best in that department. There's real value there in being reliable.

• Let's not forget that this dude can flat-out go. Sumlin said he had long speed and quickness in the slot, and he filled out a lot more than I thought he would. He's going to be a big part of it this year. You would love to have three first-round draft picks at receiver, but that’s not really how the deal works. A lot of receivers will have a big impact this year. I have the most confidence in doing that is Chase Lane. I think he’s way more reliable and polished than people give him credit for. That receiver position will be fascinating.
Discussion from...

22 Players in 22 Days: #20 Chase Lane

4,459 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by curry97
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
reminds me of emmanuel sanders. not to shabby.
jigsaw87
SpiderM85
BeastmodeAg
AG
He'll play a key role this year this year I got a feeling.
AWP 97
AG
Another in a long line of write-ups where BL tries to sell us on how great a player is and that player has an unproductive season and there is no follow-up article to tell us how wrong he is.

What National Championship team could Lane start on in the last ten years? Maybe 20? He may have been a good WR back in the 90s and early 2000s when A&M didn't throw much but he is not a starter on a championship winning team. Just tell us the truth, he's a stop gap until the younger players develop.

For the record, I have nothing personal against Lane. I've heard he is a great Aggie and a great human. I'd rather have him than Demas. I just don't like being sold a bill of goods on what his ceiling is. If he starts, our already limited offense becomes even more limited.
Just Tired
never understood staffs infatuation with lane.
Captain Winky
AWP 97 said:

What National Championship team could Lane start on in the last ten years? Maybe 20? .

Are you high?
Patience32
Patience32
Nailed it!
curry97
AG
Patience32 said:

Nailed it!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.