Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2027 (or earlier) College Football Power Conferences - Regulation Style

1,014 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Divining Rod
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Relegation means a team has dropped from their current conference to an inferior conference. A team is relegated when they finish the season at the bottom of their conference. The relegated team starts the following season in a lower conference.
64 total teams
4 Power Conferences capped at 14 schools
  • 7 schools per division
  • 6 divisional games + rotating 3 cross-divisional games
  • 3 non-conference games (only 1 may be from non-Power 4 Conference

8 "Independent" Schools
  • Must play all 7 Independent Schools
  • Remaining 5 games must be against Power Conference Schools
  • No more than 2 schools from any one Power Conference

Relegation/Promotion (every 3 years)
Every third year, there is a Relegation aka Purge of the two lowest schools in every Power Conference. The two schools with the lowest winning percentage over the past 3 seasons are Relegated.
  • The 2nd worst team in each Power Conference is Relegated to "Independent"
  • The worst team in each Power Conference is Relegated directly to a non-Power Conference
  • The top 4 "Independent" schools with the highest winning percentage are placed in separate Power Conferences
  • The four lowest "Independent" schools are placed in non-Power Conferences
  • The top 4 non-Power Conference schools with the highest winning percentage earn automatic Power Conferences bids
  • The next best 4 non-Power Conference schools earn an "Independent" bid

The Winning Formula for Relegation (think GPA calculations)
  • Power Conference wins count as 3 (includes bowl games)
  • - Any win vs a team > .500 gets additional .5 bonus at end of season calculation - Any win over a conference or National Champion gets 1.0 bonus at end of season calculation
  • Independent wins count as 2
  • Non-Power Conference wins count as 1
  • Conference Championships count as 4
  • National Championship win counts as 5 (there will be a Power Champion and a non-Power Champion)
  • All loses count as 0, except for National and Conference Championships that count as 2.5

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

TnAg23
AG
It's called relegation, not regulation, and I'll always hate this idea.
Raptor
AG
Good catch, but IMHO this would be the best thing for college football. No more perennial bottom feeder type teams. Constantly churning up new match-ups and teams will be rewarded for beating better teams.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

deadbq03
AG
The only way this works is if there's a functional central league governing finances, schedules, etc.

The real problem with modern college football is that technological advancement such TV & ease of travel has killed the need for regional conferences, and yet conferences still hold all the power. The NCAA is impotent. It has been cut off from college football finances, and yet it is expected to somehow govern.

College football will continue to devolve until the big schools say "enough is enough" and agree to form a new association and give it legitimate authority. I'm not optimistic it'll happen.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, relegation doesn't work that well for the EPL. Same teams move up and down every year. It makes end of season games amongst bottom dwellers more interesting, but not much else.
TnAg23
AG
The issue I see is in recruiting. The way I see it there are two possibilities.

1. Transferring is easy. Once a team is relegated, they lose half of their already weak roster.
2. Transferring isn't easy. A team being at risk of relegation is an instant turn-off for top recruits.

I understand the appeal of giving the mid-majors of the world a chance, but I think in doing so, your actually reducing the number of teams that have a legitimate chance, and reducing parity even further.

For example, take the current 16 SEC teams, and let's say the top 4 teams in a lower league were Georgia Tech, UCF, NC state, and Duke. No coach will be able to sell the possibility of being one of the big boys.

The Tennessee schools, the Mississippi schools, Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri, and Kentucky would be in fear of being relegated. Because of this, they would all recruit worse.

I think this leaves a conference of 8 competitive teams, with 12 additional teams competing to not be the biggest loser. Parity would get even worse.
NyAggie
AG
Just imagine the uproar if a tu or a Michigan finish last and get demoted

Also, what about the schools other sports?

A system like this is never gonna happen
Divining Rod
nm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.