Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Other Conferences Football Stadiums

4,670 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Iowaggie
TennesseeVol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just saw on YouTube all the stadiums in the Big 12, the ACC and the Pac. Have you guys seen how little the vast majority of those stadiums are? Unbelievable.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We're certainly blessed here in the SEC with these monstrous stadiums, but yeah, most stadiums are what Kyle Field was circa 1960.
#FJB
Sponge
AG
Anchorhold
Even in 2012 Kyle was a concrete tackle box, but we stepped up to raise SEC standards.
College football attendance has been in decline for the last 7 years and (in 2021) was at its lowest level since 1981.

Dr. Tinkle
My family does a pro baseball tour and we drive to all of them. We are at 25 stadiums. Along the way we have hit many college stadiums. The SEC stadiums are amazing. There are some other good ones as well but the SEC is where it's at. The Big 10 has some nice ones as well.
NyAggie
AG
33 said:

College football attendance has been in decline for the last 7 years and (in 2021) was at its lowest level since 1981.

Lots of factors for that, the biggest at least in my opinion, is the younger generations being more technology driven and less "physical" thus watching sports is not as big of a draw to the younger generations

NyAggie said:

33 said:

Lots of factors for that, the biggest at least in my opinion, is the younger generations being more technology driven and less "physical" thus watching sports is not as big of a draw to the younger generations

I agree with that as well. I also think that the explosion of games on TV means that it's easier to entertain at home with multiple games and people. Going to a game (depending on where you live) can be a 6-8 hour event; not to mention the rising cost.
TennesseeVol
Also, college football programs jumping on the BLM bandwagon has drove many away that followed their school for years. Much like the WOKE has destroyed any following from conservative citizens.
Buzzkill
TennesseeVol said:

Also, college football programs jumping on the BLM bandwagon has drove many away that followed their school for years. Much like the WOKE has destroyed any following from conservative citizens.

This take is silly. TV ratings for CFB are not down at all. It's the crazy cost of attending a game combined with increased accessibility via streaming that's caused the drop in in person attendance. Hell I can watch my phone while I'm in the middle of the lake on my wakeboat.
AgLaw02
AG
33 said:

Attendance is not in decline in College Station.
Buzzkill
AgLaw02 said:

33 said:

Attendance is not in decline in College Station.

College Station does not a college football make
TexAggie1999
NyAggie said:

33 said:

I think there are many factors. I agree with your suggestion.

Others:
- College Football games have gotten very expensive to attend.
- Some are avoiding sports due to how woke sports have become.
- More college football games on TV and with large screens and High Definition, you could argue you can see the game much better at home (though it doesn't recreate the feeling of being in the stadium).
- More alternate forms of entertainment.
- Some avoiding games still because of COVID (though that doesn't explain the long-term trend).

Ag Tag
People are wusses.
NyAggie
AG
33 said:

NyAggie said:

33 said:

I agree with that as well. I also think that the explosion of games on TV means that it's easier to entertain at home with multiple games and people. Going to a game (depending on where you live) can be a 6-8 hour event; not to mention the rising cost.

Yep

Rising cost is a big one as well, plus just about all games being on tv now
12thMan9
AG
Buzzkill said:

TennesseeVol said:

This take is silly. TV ratings for CFB are not down at all. It's the crazy cost of attending a game combined with increased accessibility via streaming that's caused the drop in in person attendance. Hell I can watch my phone while I'm in the middle of the lake on my wakeboat.
Wrong.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-declines-for-seventh-straight-season-to-lowest-average-since-1981/

While you may be correct there is alternative ways to view college football, is it the same as being there?

If you're watching while you're on your wakeboat, perhaps you don't have as much of an interest in college football as others.
Buzzkill
12thMan9 said:

Buzzkill said:

TennesseeVol said:

Wrong.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-declines-for-seventh-straight-season-to-lowest-average-since-1981/

While you may be correct there is alternative ways to view college football, is it the same as being there?

If you're watching while you're on your wakeboat, perhaps you don't have as much of an interest in college football as others.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit? The article you linked supports the argument I made in the post you quoted. I attend 3-4 games at Kyle every season and usually do one away game all while living in Northern California so I my college football fan credentials are pretty impeccable. Since I live in CA the 11am kickoffs happen at 9am so I get to watch the Aggies BTHO whomever then go out on my boat and check in on whatever games pique my interest on my phone. Heck, sometimes I'll even go check out a Cal or Stanford game if it's a late start and the game looks good.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
TennesseeVol said:

Yep. Don't give a damn about what they care about or respecting their opinions. Players just need to suit up and entertain me. I totally can't enjoy football with little black BLM stickers on the helmets. All that talk about unity? Get that mess outta here.

Three stars? I guess I need to work on my sarcasm skills. What I typed is obviously complete BS.
Buzzkill
EarlCampbellsThighs said:

TennesseeVol said:

Yep. Don't give a damn about what they care about or respecting their opinions. Players just need to suit up and entertain me. I totally can't enjoy football with little black BLM stickers on the helmets. All that talk about unity? Get that mess outta here.

Well said
Smeghead4761
Somewhat amazing to think that Stanford hosted the Super Bowl back in the mid-80s (SF-Miami, Montana vs Marino).
BMX Bandit
And I think it's a top 5 most attended other than rose bowl games
Ian Neff
AG
It can be expensive yO.
Houstonag
AG
I do not know the attendance levels exactly and if there has been a decline It can be traced back to ticket cost, the quality and price of the concessions. The 12th man management of the concessions has been poor.

Tailgating has been very good.
ArmaLite
TexAggie1999 said:

NyAggie said:

33 said:

I think there are many factors. I agree with your suggestion.

Others:
- College Football games have gotten very expensive to attend.
- Some are avoiding sports due to how woke sports have become.
- More college football games on TV and with large screens and High Definition, you could argue you can see the game much better at home (though it doesn't recreate the feeling of being in the stadium).
- More alternate forms of entertainment.
- Some avoiding games still because of COVID (though that doesn't explain the long-term trend).

I think the biggest factor is price and the tech we have at home.

Why spend 200.00 to go to a game when you can sit at home in front of your 70" TV, drink 1.50 beers, and be with all your friends.

Don't get me wrong I love going to Kyle and go to as many games as possible, but I completely get the decision to watch at home.
Triple-T
AG
Attendance was lower recently because of the scamdemic.

This train still has a long way to roll.
McInnis80
I remember when I was in school teams could be on TV 5 times in two years. I remember both times the home games against top 5 texas university teams not being on TV. Now with every game on TV it makes it easier to stay at home. Don't kid yourself, tickets are much more expensive, especially counting required donations and other fees. Also one difference between now and then is there were no games against Division 1-AA schools. I remember non conference games against BIG 8, SEC, Big 10, and Independent schools like Virginia Tech, BC and Penn State.

Of course, why are the tickets so high? In most cases, people will pay those prices. It's hard to get people to pay big money to sit in the upper end zone, especially to watch games against schools they couldn't find on their old Humble Oil road map.

The power conference expansion also did not help. Games like Iowa and Maryland don't have a big appeal to fans at either school.
akm91
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Somewhat amazing to think that Stanford hosted the Super Bowl back in the mid-80s (SF-Miami, Montana vs Marino).
NOt sure why that's amazing given it's the local NFL team playing in the Superbowl. Before their "remodeling" back in the late 2000's, Stanford stadium had 85,000+ capacity.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Mighty Iowa State has the 3rd largest stadium in the Big 12.... and most of the stadiums are dumps. The best stadiums are in the SEC and B1G. Even SEC stadiums of comparable size are much nicer than stadiums in other conferences. For example the stadiums for Ole Miss and State are much better than TX Technical.......
Craigy
I go to games because I don't have any friends to watch games with on TV
91AggieLawyer
AG
NyAggie said:

33 said:

You're right, of course, but it isn't just that. Students could be a big draw at a lot of these venues but some places put student seating at some of the worst places in the stadium. I always liked the fact that A&M put them in the best, and we have the best (or one of the best) student fan bases in the country in terms of football game attendance.

Instead, these schools leave these seats open for higher paying customers, who never show up.
NyAggie
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

NyAggie said:

33 said:

You're right, of course, but it isn't just that. Students could be a big draw at a lot of these venues but some places put student seating at some of the worst places in the stadium. I always liked the fact that A&M put them in the best, and we have the best (or one of the best) student fan bases in the country in terms of football game attendance.

Instead, these schools leave these seats open for higher paying customers, who never show up.

I agree with you as well, that's also a big factor

sharpdressedman
33 said:

Object lesson in the price elasticity of demand.
Iowaggie
AG
TennesseeVol said:

This wouldn't have any impact on the size of football stadiums since almost all were constructed before BLM, or for that matter, before WJC was the 42nd POTUS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.