Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo's Offensive Predictions for 2022

7,866 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cevans_40
DTuba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't Jimbo have a top-tier offense for a couple of years at FSU? Again, the plays are there, but it's literally all about player execution and the game of inches.

Think the Achane run in orange bowl.
cevans_40
AG
DW91AG95 said:

Never wanted to say I wanted to get rid of him.

Read my next post, he just need to step on the pedal a bit more. Jimbo doesn't finish teams off with aggression when there is blood in the water. He still runs the play clock down to 2 allowing a struggling defense to catch their breath.

Jimbo is a top 5 coach and is recruiting on the Bama/Georgia level...I just wish he would pour some gas on his offensive philosophy.
Yeah that works well until it doesn't. I want a coach who wins. I don't care if it is 3-0 or 100-0.

Anyone who talks of Jimbo bringing in an OC (maybe not you but there are plenty on this thread alone) is talking about getting rid of him. He will not stay here and not call plays.
DW91AG95
AG
DTuba said:

Didn't Jimbo have a top-tier offense for a couple of years at FSU? Again, the plays are there, but it's literally all about player execution and the game of inches.

He did have a potent offense at FSU. It seems he has slowed it down a bit here. Maybe he thinks he is protecting the defense. I'm not sure.

Just to be clear, I like what Jimbo is running. I just think finding times to speed it up a bit will result in more points and wins. Hell even St Nick has sped things up. Just 10 years ago he was wanting to put rules in place to slow offenses down.

I know a certain poster will come back and say something about winning big vs just winning but look at it like this. If you blow a Vandy out you get your backups in games. They need playing time. But when you 5th year starter at QB has to play to the end of a close win over a crappy team, you don't get a chance to build depth.
cevans_40
AG
DW91AG95 said:

DTuba said:

He did have a potent offense at FSU. It seems he has slowed it down a bit here. Maybe he thinks he is protecting the defense. I'm not sure.

Just to be clear, I like what Jimbo is running. I just think finding times to speed it up a bit will result in more points and wins. Hell even St Nick has sped things up. Just 10 years ago he was wanting to put rules in place to slow offenses down.

I know a certain poster will come back and say something about winning big vs just winning but look at it like this. If you blow a Vandy out you get your backups in games. They need playing time. But when you 5th year starter at QB has to play to the end of a close win over a crappy team, you don't get a chance to build depth.
If Jimbo get a QB like Jameis. he will go at a higher pace. His scheme is adapted to the personnel he has (as all great coaches do).

DW91AG95
Divining Rod
Our O scheme and strategy is light years ahead of what it was under Sumlin- i dont give a rats ass about ydsper game in a vacuum.

Do you not remember how predictable and futile we used to be, and how completely different we looked in year 1?

Jimbo was hamstringed by a QB that had trouble throwing the ball deep or looking off his receivers.
Then he was snakebit by the loss of his # 1 QB (who may or may not have been all that), a backup QB with little touch and an inability to pull the trigger on pass plays that WERE THERE, a young OL,
and a lack of WRs that could stretch the field.

So he managed the game in such a way we went 18-5 the last two seasons, and were in contention to win every game in the 4th qtr, except one (and that game was avenged last year with a makeshift line).

I would give him the benefit of the doubt. This year should give us a better picture.
rootube
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Simple, if Achane is averaging 8 yards a carry, give him the ball in the fourth quarter.

Since almost no #1 SEC running backs have averaged 8YPC for a season we may want to have a backup plan. A better goal for Achane would be a 1,500+ yard season which is achievable. Look at the insane SEC RB group from 2015 there is at least one likely NFL hall of famer well below 8YPC.

SinKiller
Matsui said:

See how much better mond got
Against bad teams...Saban wishes Mond would have had Nick Starkel like eligibility...
TX_Aggie37
AG
merch said:

Lots of good things about Jimbos offense. Especially compared to what we have had recently.

We use middle of field and TE!

And if we pick up 8 yards on first down we almost always get a first down and keep drive alive. Not as many 8 or 9 yards gains on first down followed by two incomplete passes and a punt like under Sumlin.

And when he finds something that works he makes the defense take it away instead of stopping himself.

Needs to get vertical with wide receivers a bit more.

All in all, we cannot really be complaining about the offensive production.
Not trying to pick a fight, I am just offering some input because like OP I too sometimes question if our offense is good enough to take us where we want to go.

We do use the middle of the field and TE. Jimbo is very good at getting a lot out of average TEs (Nick O'Leary, Sternberger, Wydermeyer for example). I refer to those three guys as average based on their NFL or projected NFL careers.

I would counter by saying last year we often had very little success on first and second down and put Calzada in a third and long hole. It almost seemed like if we DIDN'T gain 5-8 yards on first down then the drive was doomed.

I don't necessarily disagree with your third point, but I would say it did seem like there were a lot of drives late in games where we should have been feeding 6 the ball but instead he was on the sidelines. I'm not a football coach, so that's just my opinion as someone who watches every snap of Aggie football.

Agree we need a more consistent vertical threat from the receivers.

Generally speaking I just feel like we lack creativity and consistency in our ability to push the ball down the field. Too many times last year it just felt like an absolute grind to get yards and score points. On a separate note I'd be curious to see how our YAC numbers compare to others in the conference/country. Seems like our guys are always trying to make catches in traffic.
cevans_40
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

merch said:

Lots of good things about Jimbos offense. Especially compared to what we have had recently.

We use middle of field and TE!

And if we pick up 8 yards on first down we almost always get a first down and keep drive alive. Not as many 8 or 9 yards gains on first down followed by two incomplete passes and a punt like under Sumlin.

And when he finds something that works he makes the defense take it away instead of stopping himself.

Needs to get vertical with wide receivers a bit more.

All in all, we cannot really be complaining about the offensive production.
Not trying to pick a fight, I am just offering some input because like OP I too sometimes question if our offense is good enough to take us where we want to go.

We do use the middle of the field and TE. Jimbo is very good at getting a lot out of average TEs (Nick O'Leary, Sternberger, Wydermeyer for example). I refer to those three guys as average based on their NFL or projected NFL careers.

I would counter by saying last year we often had very little success on first and second down and put Calzada in a third and long hole. It almost seemed like if we DIDN'T gain 5-8 yards on first down then the drive was doomed.

I don't necessarily disagree with your third point, but I would say it did seem like there were a lot of drives late in games where we should have been feeding 6 the ball but instead he was on the sidelines. I'm not a football coach, so that's just my opinion as someone who watches every snap of Aggie football.

Agree we need a more consistent vertical threat from the receivers.

Generally speaking I just feel like we lack creativity and consistency in our ability to push the ball down the field. Too many times last year it just felt like an absolute grind to get yards and score points. On a separate note I'd be curious to see how our YAC numbers compare to others in the conference/country. Seems like our guys are always trying to make catches in traffic.
This is a result of a QB who is not good at throwing the deep ball and receivers who can't just run by DB's.
Citizen Reign
cevans_40 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

This is a result of a QB who is not good at throwing the deep ball and receivers who can't just run by DB's.
There is this thing called the transfer portal. Coaches use this magical portal to fill holes in their rosters. The same rosters that are filled with players said coaches identified as talented and then recruited but apparently failed to develop.

Got any more excuses?
cevans_40
AG
Citizen Reign said:

cevans_40 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

There is this thing called the transfer portal. Coaches use this magical portal to fill holes in their rosters. The same rosters that are filled with players said coaches identified as talented and then recruited but apparently failed to develop.

Got any more excuses?
Oh okay, thanks.
SinKiller
Citizen Reign said:

cevans_40 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Got any more excuses?
No they don't, it always something. It can't be that Jimbo isn't an offensive genius, we've been told from day 1 that he is. Not true, an offensive genius is Lane Kiffin, he who whoops your ass with half the talent.
cevans_40
AG
SinKiller said:

Citizen Reign said:

cevans_40 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Got any more excuses?
No they don't, it always something. It can't be that Jimbo isn't an offensive genius, we've been told from day 1 that he is. Not true, an offensive genius is Lane Kiffin, he who whoops you ass with half the talent.
Was he a genius in 2020 when he went 5-5?

Ole Miss had 6 dudes drafted this year. Seems like they had their fair share of talent.

He is Ass My Dude
Quote:

Ole Miss had 6 dudes drafted this year. Seems like they had their fair share of talent.

So more players drafted, better record, and a win vs Jimbo all with lower ranked recruiting classes. Does that means better talent evaluation and development or just a superior offensive scheme.

Agsuffering@bulaw
OM's QB stepped his game up hugely. They caught a big break. Lane knows it. Explains why he tried to get the F out of there after last season. Probably also explains why Durkin bounced.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Center is one of the more solid positions for us. We played a true fish last year who got better as the season went along. He just happened to be in front of a QB who panicked at any hint of a blitz. Made me miss Mond's pocket unawareness.

The QB about Jimbos pro style system is even more valid in the portal era. I posted stats a while back about WRs drafted. Jimbo had less drafted than many programs not known for their passing games.

Part of that is that Jimbo will not find ways of getting them touches earlier in the game to get them warmed up. Their first chance to catch it is usually a pressure situation. Most WRs grow up featured in spread systems that find ways to get them the ball. They are not mentally ready.

Part of the problem is Craig. Idk what he has on Jimbo. He should be gone.

The flip side is that we have not yet seen a WR leave us and have success elsewhere.

Another contra- in the portal era, defensive depth will become scarcer. There is definite wisdom in protecting defenses.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I agree. I am just not prepared to consider that the only issue.
Citizen Reign
I cannot stand Kiffin, but going 5-5 in season one and then 10-3 in season two is not a reason to question a coach's genius.
cevans_40
AG
Citizen Reign said:

I cannot stand Kiffin, but going 5-5 in season one and then 10-3 in season two is not a reason to question a coach's genius.

7-6 at Tennessee
28-15 at USC
15-8 at Ole Miss

Is that enough?
cevans_40
AG
He is Ass My Dude said:

Quote:

So more players drafted, better record, and a win vs Jimbo all with lower ranked recruiting classes. Does that means better talent evaluation and development or just a superior offensive scheme.

No. It means he won one game over a team he probably shouldn't have. A team missing their starting QB. Does us beating Bama mean that their coach should be fired and Jimbo is a genius?
SteveA
AG
We have out recruited everyone except lsu and Alabama on or schedule. Why hasn't it paid off?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I think it's somewhere in the middle. We haven't had a great nor consistent offense under Jimbo and obviously if that continued for another 2-3 years then you'd have to question why thinks aren't changing. Even Saban realized you needed a very good offense in this day and age to be a dominant team.

However, at this point there are things you can point to that have led to poorer than hoped for results - QB situation last year, QB, WR, and OL play in 2019, etc.

It's premature and a bit silly to play the "how long can this continue" card, especially with a guy like Jimbo that has a proven track record.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
SteveA said:

We have out recruited everyone except lsu and Alabama on or schedule. Why hasn't it paid off?

I'd argue it has. Even with some challenging play at the most important position, we beat some good teams last year and were in others we lost. I think we are in great shape coming into this year and especially for 2023.
Artorias
AG
cevans_40 said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

Jimbo's offense thrives or is mediocre via the QB.
If this is true, then his offensive scheme is crap. Good coaches can win with mediocre quarte backs. I know we've had some shaky play, but stop blaming everything on the qb. There were some flat out bone heading calls on the offensive side in the last couple of years. There were numerous games where we could have simply ran the ball and pounded smaller teams in to submission, but we tried to force a throw or do something stupid, just to prove some point, it would seem. I love Fisher, but I'm with the OP. I think we would be better with a good OC. Everyone wants to look at how Saban does it.. Well, look hard. He gets the best OC out there and lights everyone up, no matter who he's got at qb,
Please name one

Nick Saban
Kirby Smart
Mark Dantonio (CFP 2015)
Brian Kelly

I am sure I could find more if I bothered...

Cojack
I think he coaches the Pole dancer's monkey that bit the kid on Halloween last year, that's his experience, don't question him again.
He is Ass My Dude
cevans_40 said:

Citizen Reign said:

7-6 at Tennessee
28-15 at USC
15-8 at Ole Miss

Is that enough?

You're making Jimbo look worse.
He is Ass My Dude
cevans_40 said:

He is Ass My Dude said:

Quote:

No. It means he won one game over a team he probably shouldn't have. A team missing their starting QB. Does us beating Bama mean that their coach should be fired and Jimbo is a genius?

Easy. Never said anything about firing Jimbo. I just don't like much about the offenses he has fielded at A&M. People on here are ignore glaring issues as a few above have stated. Like stubbornness to optimise the offensive system to the portal era, lack of quarterback and wr production. We should not have regressed last year regardless of King going down.

aggiebrad94
AG
I think the question that some may need to ask themselves is this:

Does Jimbo's offense have the potential to win us the Natty?

I think we all know the answer is yes. Re-watch the Alabama game. With an injured QB, patch-work OL that had position changes THAT week, we still were able to move the ball consistently on the ground and in the air.
cevans_40
AG
He is Ass My Dude said:

cevans_40 said:

Citizen Reign said:

7-6 at Tennessee
28-15 at USC
15-8 at Ole Miss

Is that enough?

Compared to 83-23 at FSU and 34-14 here?

How does Kiffin's record make Jimbo look worse?
cevans_40
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

I think the question that some may need to ask themselves is this:

Does Jimbo's offense have the potential to win us the Natty?

I think we all know the answer is yes. Re-watch the Alabama game. With an injured QB, patch-work OL that had position changes THAT week, we still were able to move the ball consistently on the ground and in the air.
Nope. The numbers aren't sexy enough for the portal era.
He is Ass My Dude
cevans_40 said:

He is Ass My Dude said:

cevans_40 said:

Citizen Reign said:

7-6 at Tennessee
28-15 at USC
15-8 at Ole Miss

Is that enough?

I'm speaking to the loss last year. Jimbo had no business dropping that game in his fourth year and Kiffin's second. Kiffin did more with less of everything. Avg
and below average QB and WR play for 4 years now.

Keep explaining away a 4 loss season in year 4 due to the coaches perceived strengths.

Again, I like Jimbo and am excited to see what he can do with all this talent. But like a poster above said, no more excuse. Or, if it fits better, no more explaining away glaring issues that every one can see. That includes last year.
cevans_40
AG
He is Ass My Dude said:

cevans_40 said:

He is Ass My Dude said:

cevans_40 said:

Citizen Reign said:

7-6 at Tennessee
28-15 at USC
15-8 at Ole Miss

Is that enough?

I'm speaking to the loss last year. Jimbo had no business dropping that game in his fourth year and Kiffin's second. Kiffin did more with less of everything. Avg
and below average QB and WR play for 4 years now.

Keep explaining away a 4 loss season in year 4 due to the coaches perceived strengths.

Again, I like Jimbo and am excited to see what he can do with all this talent. But like a poster above said, no more excuse. Or, if it fits better, no more explaining away glaring issues that every one can see. That includes last year.
Ok. No more excuses. Or else.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Yards Per Game does not matter. Scoring more points than your opponent matters.

It's not some magical formula and we don't play a different game than anyone else. When we have above average to good QB play the offense plays well, moves the ball, and scores points. It's not rocket science. Calzada was below average for most of the games, the one game he played great we moved the ball up and down the field on Bama.

You will see a much better offense this season with better QB play. It's that simple. Yes we are hoping for more dynamic WR play and more deep passes, etc., but it all comes back to, and always comes down to, QB play.

The TexAgs crowd that talks about WR separation, getting open, etc. is off-base, when you have a QB that can throw to open WR and throw WRs open, the WRs look great, when you have a QB that can't, you don't. We had WRs running open all over the field vs. CU and Calzada did not see them and when he did he could not get the ball to them within the design of the offense.

I know King had 2 bad INTs in his first start (3rd was a tipped ball) but if you watch that game King knew where he was going with the ball, was decisive, made some next level throws, used the entire field, etc. I know it was not against Bama, but we have rarely had a QB in his first start against any level of competition perform that well.

Look at 2020 and you will see what the Jimbo offense can do with good QB play. Jimbo is highly regarded as a QB coach. I think you will be surprised at how much better the offense if this season vs. last with improved QB play.
The Agly Duckling
dcg4403 said:

Just some perspective to consider for Yards Per Game rankings:
2021 season - #70 YPG
2020 season - #32 YPG
2019 season - #86 YPG
2018 season - #23 YPG
When Jimbo's O is working well, he can take a TON of game time running, which is not conducive to looking good from YPG only.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.