Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo's Offensive Predictions for 2022

7,792 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cevans_40
dcg4403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, been fairly vocal that my biggest concern with this football program moving forward is at the OC position. I have not liked the offensive product on the field from Day 1 since Jimbo arrived. There have certainly been flashes of brilliance but overall more disappointment, especially after last year. Jimbo has shown little consistency in our offense but luckily Elko had been the strength. This upcoming season is absolutely critical for Jimbo to prove the his offense philosophies still work in this very modern era of NIL transfer football. I almost feel that Fisher is too smart for himself and has trouble seeing simple solutions. Like a mad scientist.

Don't get me wrong here guys, I think Jimbo is without a doubt a top 5 HC in Div I and a top 3 recruiter. Just not sold on him as OC and that isn't necessarily a grip unless he is unwilling to acknowledge need for change (assuming our offensive rankings don't improve drastically for 2022-2023).

Am I being overly reactive based on the crap show last year and several inept offensive performances in prior seasons? At what point does the lack of a top performing conference QB fall 100% onto Fisher? After 4 years now, I am not here to accept excuses from a coach that is hailed as an offensive genius and QB guru by some (certainly disputed).

Hope this doesn't sound overly negative towards Fisher. This is not my intent. I am curious about other opinions on the subject and our offensive woes?

Just some perspective to consider for Yards Per Game rankings:
2021 season - #70 YPG
2020 season - #32 YPG
2019 season - #86 YPG
2018 season - #23 YPG

Not horrible and certainly doesn't tell the whole story. Fisher is averaging about a top 50 offense so far in his Aggie tenure. I don't feel this is anyway close to where we need to be to be a contenter.

Matsui
AG
See how much better mond got
aggiebrad94
AG
Ask yourself, "What do dominating offenses have in common?"

Typically, they have a great OL, great QB play, and a great WR. Now, ask yourself, "Did we have those last year or at any time in Jim bo's tenure?"

I think most would agree that we have not had all three at the same time yet.
Dr. Horrible
I think I'm that 20-30 range is probably what we should expect from a good Jimbo team, and I'm ok with that. The top 10-15 are all going to be hurry up or air raid style offenses, and after watching the Sumlin years, I appreciate winning the TOP battle and letting your defense get some rest more than ypg rankings.
dcg4403
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Typically, they have a great OL, great QB play, and a great WR. Now, ask yourself, "Did we have those last year or at any time in Jim bo's tenure?"

Understood but for how much longer do you accept the mediocrity of the sometimes anemic offense? In 4 years, shouldn't Fisher have addressed some of this?

Take the opposite side of the ball, so in 4 years, Elko certainly was better statistically. Not perfect whatsoever but his defense influenced wins in more games than our offense. Yet, it is ok for Fisher to take 5 or 6 years to get his offense going? His best year so far was 2018 with Sumlin offensive players.

So maybe this is a lack of offensive player development more than Xs and Os. Or bad player selection on the recruiting front? And who ultimately chooses those positions for his offense and is single handily responsible for QB development?

Again, this is more of a debate. I am not asking for Fisher to step down as OC...at least not quite yet. Just a big concern.

And I 100% agree with Dr. I am not asking for a top 20 offense every year. I do think we absolutely need to be top 35 or under (same with defense). Go look at Alabama since Saban decided to change his mentality. But Kirby did prove you can still win in modern era football with defense alone.
AgLaw02
AG
Post the yards per play instead of yards per game and let's see where we shake out.
DTuba
The yards are there. It's like what a previous poster said, once we have the lines, then it's up to the qb and receivers. How many times have we seen open receivers, but the qb doesn't. Or when a play is there to be made, but the receiver drops it.

This offense is only as good as the kids are executing. After watching Coach Fisher's teams, I've grown to really appreciate and understand what they mean when people say football is a game of inches.
greg.w.h
AG
The heart of Fisher's offense isn't lighting up the scoreboard. It's ball control and primarily has been so far to protect a defense that lacked depth. As this class continues and especially as the DL rotation gets established, and also as the new QB emerges, the emphasis on ball control can shift to a more open offense.

I don't know how quickly. Some will depend on pass protection in the pocket, his preference for dual threat/RPO tactics, and the effectiveness of the WRs in creating separation. His goal has been to create adequate run, pass, and hybrid run action/play action pressure to always keep defenses uncertain about where the next play will go and react to that by reading keys from the defense to shape a play in motion.

I won't say it is in itself brilliant, but as the talent improves it should get more exciting.
cevans_40
AG
This is the type of **** that makes me want to drown puppies. What are your coaching qualifications OP?
12thmanfootball
AG
Once we can be reliable in verticallly taking the roof off of a denfense like Alabama and Georgia, we will not win the SEC West or be a playoff contender.
DW91AG95
AG
cevans_40 said:

This is the type of **** that makes me want to drown puppies. What are your coaching qualifications OP?

Then go drown puppies, some of us want to talk football. I guess Texags can just close down the football forums since 99% of the posters have never coached so there is no room for discussion.
rootube
AG
cevans_40 said:

To be fair to the OP we have struggled on offense the last couple of years. Jimbo is our guy, but it would be nice if he could field a top caliber offense soon. You can blame Mond then you can blame an injury but at some point people are going to ask hard questions.
maroongoon95
AG
Jimbo's conservative style of offense should be very successful this upcoming season with a good offense line and the fastest running back in the country. I can easily see us having a top 5 rushing offense in the country. Achane and Daniels are going to be a problem against all defenses we play. Then we have the X factors in Evan Stewart and the tight ends. So in conclusion, Jimbo will be in heaven this upcoming season calling his usual plays, and the outcome will be VERY good.
merch
Lots of good things about Jimbos offense. Especially compared to what we have had recently.

We use middle of field and TE!

And if we pick up 8 yards on first down we almost always get a first down and keep drive alive. Not as many 8 or 9 yards gains on first down followed by two incomplete passes and a punt like under Sumlin.

And when he finds something that works he makes the defense take it away instead of stopping himself.

Needs to get vertical with wide receivers a bit more.

All in all, we cannot really be complaining about the offensive production.
DW91AG95
AG
Man I hope so. I like what Jimbo is trying to do, but at times he just needs to put his foot in the pedal a little harder. Defenses hate long drives that wear them out but they also hate tempo when they start to leak oil.

There something to be said for blowing people out. Remember the Vandy and LSU wins that were used against us being in the playoffs?
hunter2012
AG
Jimbo's offense thrives or is mediocre via the QB. When Mond had it figured out his senior year we steamrolled through the win streak and should have been in the playoff. Frankly Calzada was a average backup and losing King against CU really derailed the season with how much Jimbo's offense leans on QB. Hopefully we'll have depth of good QB's this year.

This offense can go exceptionally far if the right QB is in place, the 2013 FSU team had the most points in the history of college football. So we know the offense works, but it needs a good to exceptional QB to get to the promised land.
Meximan
Name all of the award-winning quarterbacks Jimbo's had since he got here.

There's your answer.
greg.w.h
AG
Meximan said:

There's your answer.
Mond: " Mond performed at the 2021 Senior Bowl and was named its most valuable player."
hunter2012
AG
greg.w.h said:

Meximan said:

There's your answer.
Mond: " Mond performed at the 2021 Senior Bowl and was named its most valuable player."

AFTER 3 years development from Jimbo.
He is Ass My Dude
Meximan said:

There's your answer.

Is that a valid excuse? Having quality QBs on the roster is part of the job. Not identifying that he hasn't had one is a problem.

I'm just not sure if a complicated playbook/system makes since in the age of the transfer portal. There are too many teams out there doing more with less in less complex systems. Why make the hardest position on the field harder? You're just decreasing the likely hood that you're getting the most out of your stater or having success with a plug n play transfer when needed.

I'm glad he is the HC but worry he is too stubborn to adjust to the times.
MagnumLoad
Simple, if Achane is averaging 8 yards a carry, give him the ball in the fourth quarter.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Jimbo4win
AG
It's funny how much better Bill Belichick's offense was during Brady's tenure than before or after..
AggieDub04
AG
dcg4403 said:

Just some perspective to consider for Yards Per Game rankings:
2021 season - #70 YPG
2020 season - #32 YPG
2019 season - #86 YPG
2018 season - #23 YPG

Georgias rankings in YPG

2021 season - #24 YPG
2020 season - #40 YPG
2019 season - #65 YPG
2018 season - #17 YPG

So…..we're in the same neighborhood as Georgia?
Ugly
AG
dcg4403 said:

aggiebrad94 said:

Understood but for how much longer do you accept the mediocrity of the sometimes anemic offense? In 4 years, shouldn't Fisher have addressed some of this?

Take the opposite side of the ball, so in 4 years, Elko certainly was better statistically. Not perfect whatsoever but his defense influenced wins in more games than our offense. Yet, it is ok for Fisher to take 5 or 6 years to get his offense going? His best year so far was 2018 with Sumlin offensive players.

So maybe this is a lack of offensive player development more than Xs and Os. Or bad player selection on the recruiting front? And who ultimately chooses those positions for his offense and is single handily responsible for QB development?

Again, this is more of a debate. I am not asking for Fisher to step down as OC...at least not quite yet. Just a big concern.

And I 100% agree with Dr. I am not asking for a top 20 offense every year. I do think we absolutely need to be top 35 or under (same with defense). Go look at Alabama since Saban decided to change his mentality. But Kirby did prove you can still win in modern era football with defense alone.
I am. Georgia got lucky this past year; it is not often you can win an NC without being excellent on both sides of the ball. Look at recent ND or Oklahoma playoff teams for an example of why. I admit that Jimbo is not looking to be an air raid team, but I severely doubt that he is satisfied with a top 20 offense. Look at % of drives that end in TDs/FGs, that should be the defining stat for Jimbo's offense. I don't remember a year under Jimbo when that number was notable, and we are not winning hardware until it is. Bump that % way up and you'll have a top offense regardless of the playstyle you are using.
Azeew
12thmanfootball said:

Once we can be reliable in verticallly taking the roof off of a denfense like Alabama and Georgia, we will not win the SEC West or be a playoff contender.
Huh?
cevans_40
AG
DW91AG95 said:

cevans_40 said:

Then go drown puppies, some of us want to talk football. I guess Texags can just close down the football forums since 99% of the posters have never coached so there is no room for discussion.
Well then, lets talk football. Lets talk about how we have one of the top 5 coaches in the country who is coming off of landing the best recruiting class in the history of ever and you dumbasses want to talk about running him off (that's what will happen if he is forced to hire an OC to call plays) because his style isn't sexy enough for some of you Madden All-Stars.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Jimbo's offense thrives or is mediocre via the QB.
If this is true, then his offensive scheme is crap. Good coaches can win with mediocre quarte backs. I know we've had some shaky play, but stop blaming everything on the qb. There were some flat out bone heading calls on the offensive side in the last couple of years. There were numerous games where we could have simply ran the ball and pounded smaller teams in to submission, but we tried to force a throw or do something stupid, just to prove some point, it would seem. I love Fisher, but I'm with the OP. I think we would be better with a good OC. Everyone wants to look at how Saban does it.. Well, look hard. He gets the best OC out there and lights everyone up, no matter who he's got at qb,
cevans_40
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Jimbo's offense thrives or is mediocre via the QB.
If this is true, then his offensive scheme is crap. Good coaches can win with mediocre quarte backs. I know we've had some shaky play, but stop blaming everything on the qb. There were some flat out bone heading calls on the offensive side in the last couple of years. There were numerous games where we could have simply ran the ball and pounded smaller teams in to submission, but we tried to force a throw or do something stupid, just to prove some point, it would seem. I love Fisher, but I'm with the OP. I think we would be better with a good OC. Everyone wants to look at how Saban does it.. Well, look hard. He gets the best OC out there and lights everyone up, no matter who he's got at qb,
Please name one

And seriously? BOB is the best OC out there?
LesterHaze

I share the same concerns of the OP. My #1 concern with our program is Jimbo's offense acumen in the contemporary environment. Jimbo has some RC Slocum in him, in that he wants low risk plays with high reward results. And by the way, I want pigs to fly.

My nickname for our offense is 3rd and Jimbo. Because in order to ever score a TD, we have to convert 6/6 on third downs to complete a drive. Which is an actuarial nightmare, caused of course by the absence of chunk yardage plays.

The best third down percentage for a game is 0/0. Every time you have a 3rd down snap, you are one missed assignment away from forfeiting a precious possession and punting. You only get about 10 possessions per game, therefore punts are the same as throwing a 40-yard interception.
LesterHaze
LesterHaze said:

I share the same concerns as the OP. My #1 concern with our program is Jimbo's offense acumen in the contemporary environment. Jimbo has some RC Slocum in him, in that he wants low risk plays with high reward results. And by the way, I want pigs to fly.

My nickname for our offense is 3rd and Jimbo. Because in order to ever score a TD, we have to convert 6/6 on third downs to complete a drive. Which is an actuarial nightmare, caused of course by the absence of chunk yardage plays.

The best third down percentage for a game is 0/0. Every time you have a 3rd down snap, you are one missed assignment away from forfeiting a precious possession and punting. You only get about 10 possessions per game, therefore punts are the same as throwing a 40-yard interception.
cevans_40
AG
LesterHaze said:

I share the same concerns of the OP. My #1 concern with our program is Jimbo's offense acumen in the contemporary environment. Jimbo has some RC Slocum in him, in that he wants low risk plays with high reward results. And by the way, I want pigs to fly.

Except they aren't the same if you throw an interception on 1st down vs 3rd. A 3 and out may take a few minutes of clock time while giving your defense a rest, a 3 & out, not so much. It's mind boggling to me that we have people whining about our offense being so closely removed from the Sumlin/Mazzone offense. Jimbo creates an offense to win football games not put up video game numbers. It's beyond me how many people can't understand this.
MaroonStain
AG
They don't want to understand. They only want to complain. It's a 21st century thing.
TxAg76
AG
LesterHaze said:

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, we know that other teams have good players and coaches too, and you're not gonna be so far above your competition to not have 3rd down situations.

Part of executing well on 1st and 2nd down means you either already got another 1st down, or you're in a 3rd and manageable situation where the D has to honor both the run and the pass, giving you options for greater success.

Some of Jimbos challenge is working with what he has, and knowing what he still doesn't have, and trying to still move the ball.
Backup QB? Inexperienced OLine? No real WR game changers that can stretch the field (and/or if you do, your backup QB can't execute the deep ball well enough for it to be effective). All that's gonna force you to change what you'd prefer to do, and find a balance that can somehow move the ball.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Great defense, win turnover battles, reduce stupid penalties, run the ball..the dream of every coach on the planet.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
DW91AG95
AG
Never wanted to say I wanted to get rid of him.

Read my next post, he just need to step on the pedal a bit more. Jimbo doesn't finish teams off with aggression when there is blood in the water. He still runs the play clock down to 2 allowing a struggling defense to catch their breath.

Jimbo is a top 5 coach and is recruiting on the Bama/Georgia level...I just wish he would pour some gas on his offensive philosophy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.