Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why did we fire Emory Bellard mid way through 78 season?

15,546 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ashley
Jimbo4win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jimbo4win said:

greg.w.h said:

Jimbo4win said:

greg.w.h said:

Amateur Hour at Texas A&M when Bellard was fired. It was the usual including the complaining that motivated Bear to leave (or at least his complaints about the delusion of the alumni seem to suggest that was part of why he left.)

How about win at A&M like you did at Bama? Solves the complaining issue
How about A&M be less delusional??

So if Bear Bryant won at A&M like he did at Alabama, A&M fans would have still been complaining? Not a chance..Or is A&M being delusional more of the usual "know your place Aggies. Winning belongs at Alabama not A&M. ". Why was it delusional for A&M fans to expect a national championship when Bear Bryant was coaching at A&M? When he took over, it had only been 14 season since the previous national championship. Not to mention, Bear had a top 5(and undefeated finish in 1956). A&M fans had every damn right to expect a national championship or multiple from Bear Bryant. There was nothing delusional about that at all. For what it's worth, every fan base in America is and has always been delusional. Imagine Bama without Bear-their history would be putrid but their expectations would still be high as they should be.

For what it's worth, when Bear took over at Alabama, Bama had been in a longer National Championship drought than A&M when he took over at A&M. It wasn't like he was walking into a gold mine at Alabama. The previous coach before him at Alabama went 4-24-2. To say IN THAT TIME that A&M fans should have felt A&M was LESSER than Alabama would have been delusional. That wasn't so at all back then.
WestHillsAg
AG
Recruiting not going well would seem to be a head scratcher after steady improvement over the '74-'76 seasons ? Wasn't there also some drug issues during '77 -'78. Seem to recall a few guys getting kicked off the team.
SinKiller
LesterHaze said:

SinKiller said:

I was at 33-0...Houston Ags don't take kindly to being woodshedded by the Coogs. Just a gut-punch of a game.

I was there. The week before UH had lost to Tulsa 50-7. We were down 33-0 at the half.
I stayed for the whole thing, brutal.
Sterling82
AginCircleC said:

Recruiting nit going well would seem to be a head scratcher after steady improvement over the '74-'76 seasons ? Wasn't there also some drug issues during '77 -'78. Seem to recall a few guys getting kicked off the team.

That occurred after Wilson took over. That along with the pizza delivery man getting mugged for the pizzas in Cain Hall. Rumor was the cops were getting his statement outside and a pizza box came floating down from the second floor and landed at their feet.
WestHillsAg
AG
Thanks. I think pizza incident also occurred early in Sherrill's time. Big DL from Dallas was booted off team I believe.
ashley
I ran into Billy Pickard at a high school playoff game at Kyle field and he said that ever happened around here was letting all the athletes scatter out and move to apartments.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.