Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2022 Road Trip

3,014 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mjhhawk
mjhhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting to prepare my Aggie football 2022 road trip itinerary from Philadelphia. Looks like this year has to be an SEC game (next year at Miami is an easy call). Options are @ Mississippi St, Alabama, South Carolina or Auburn.

Leaning towards Alabama. Maybe staying in Birmingham. Anyone have any experience with getting to an Alabama game from Birmingham? I'm definitely not going to Miss St b /c of cowbells. I've heard South Carolina fans are underrated obnoxious. Auburn is an option I guess but prefer earlier in the season.

Or should I just say screw it and plan on my road trip being for the play-offs......
rootube
AG
If you pick based on game day atmosphere and the city. South Carolina and it's not even close.
Anchorhold
I'll be at carolina.
MobileAGG85
AG
I have only been to a game in Starkville and Auburn. Auburn was a great trip. Friendly fans and fun college town. Not much in Starkville and it is hard to get to.
NTAS
Auburn - friendly group

SCe - obnoxious

State - moar bell

Alabama - maybe wait until 2024
superunknown
AG
Tuscaloosa is about an hour from Birmingham, probably much worse for a game day traffic situation. The construction on 20/59 is almost done, but if you're staying in Birmingham the construction is not on the eastern side so it shouldn't affect you. If cost is a concern for hotels and you are wanting to save some money, I would NOT stay in Bessemer/Midfield. Do your diligence on hotels along 20/59 on the western side of the Birmingham area if you're booking based on price/location. It's generally not a safe area. McCalla or Hoover along 459 is probably just fine and just as easy of a drive.
dude91
AG
South Carolina is the worst choice...town, stadium, fans really are the worst in the SEC...fly into ATL and take the easy stroll to Auburn...great fans and atmosphere...plus you can say hi to Nick.
AG
Auburn, hands down
Ags77
AG
Auburn or Bama

State

S Carolina
Jimbo4win
AG
I would choose S Carolina and spend the days leading up to the game in Charleston. Charleston is fantastic! Top notch restaurants include Hanks, Halls Chophouse, and Slightly North of Broad but it's hard to go wrong in one of the top food destinations in the country. USC is an easy 2 hour drive away so doable on game day but may be worth having a hotel in Columbia the night of the game.

I went to Bama in 2012 and had a great time. The Bama fans were intense during the game but were super friendly after our win. I went to The Houndstooth and never paid for a drink and believe me I was plastered by 2am. I will never forget it. Bama fans had tremendous respect for what we had just accomplished and were almost as giddy about it(from a knowledgeable college football fan appreciation perspective) as we were. Birmingham is the place to stay. Midnight Yell will probably be there and the drive is not too bad. Just leave plenty early. Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa is excellent so plan accordingly if you choose Bama.
Aggie1188
South Carolina or Auburn would be fun.
Aggie1188
dude91 said:

South Carolina is the worst choice...town, stadium, fans really are the worst in the SEC...fly into ATL and take the easy stroll to Auburn...great fans and atmosphere...plus you can say hi to Nick.
South Carolina is probably great if you just wear neutral colors, right? Their atmosphere looks cool to me.
Bucketrunner
Traveling Aggies her a trip to the Alabama game. You can choose the ground part and have tailgating and transportation to the stadium handled.

We always go to South Carolina and spend days before and after the game in Charleston. We've never encountered bad SC fans, but then we always win. That rooster crowing nonsense can get old, but they hadd be e a nice band and stadium area. You need to see the cocky booses just one time.
mjhhawk
Thanks Zoo. I think I may look more into South Carolina after some of these replies. I may be underrating it's atmosphere and Greeneville as a place to stay.
StrykerAg
AG
I took my little sister and my 3yo son (at the time) to South Carolina and we had no issues. My son liked "the chicken" costumed mascot. It was also nice that the State Fair was right across the parking lot from the stadium, so before and after the game, we went on rides and got food/drinks typical of a fair. We stayed in Charlotte though.

Of all the games and stadiums I have been to, the fanbases that stick out to me as annoying/rude are OU, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.
mjhhawk
I actually had a great experience at LSU. Sounds rare though. Agree 100 % on PSU fans. Pretty typical Philadelphia fans. I wasn't overly fond of the people at Clemson. USC (w) either.
TXAG 05
AG
Agree on LSU, even though we lost, probably the most fun game road trip I've done.
Ag Tag
I'm told that the South Carolina stadium is Downtown and not near the campus, so you miss a college campus gameday atmosphere.
gigemags-99
AG
I want to go to Bama because you can just sit on the sideline with the team…if you're wearing the right shirt.
rootube
AG
mjhhawk said:

Thanks Zoo. I think I may look more into South Carolina after some of these replies. I may be underrating it's atmosphere and Greeneville as a place to stay.

There is some risk to going to SC. If somehow we manage to lose that game you will be held personally responsible.

The only bad game day in the SEC is probably Vandy but at least Vandy is in Nashville which is a pretty fun city. So you can't really lose here.
BCEDAg
AG
The SC stadium is not downtown - it's at the fairgrounds. We stayed in Aiken , SC the night before the game.
Anchorhold
Nashville is a lot less fun when it is freezing drizzle all day long.
AggieOO
TXAG 05 said:

Agree on LSU, even though we lost, probably the most fun game road trip I've done.

+1. I had a fantastic time in baton rogue. they gave us a hard time, but I was given free food and drinks everywhere.
AgDad1
AgDad1
Alabama and Auburn are both great trips. Great stadium experience too.
Sarge 77
Alabama. Want to go while Saban is still on top. You also don't know when the next trip there is going to happen…because the ou/tu thing is going to screw everything up.
mjhhawk
Sarge 77 said:

Alabama. Want to go while Saban is still on top. You also don't know when the next trip there is going to happen…because the ou/tu thing is going to screw everything up.
Interesting take. I absolutely have been assuming Bama and Auburn actually are every other year options but that may change.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.