Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Calzada to Auburn?

8,400 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PyriteAg
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting, if true. Potential irony.

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2022/01/03/auburn-football-zach-calzada-transfer-portal-texas-am/
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He'd be a huge upgrade over Finley, which isn't saying much.
Stupid@17
AG
Won't he have to sit out a year because its within conference?
Thunder Up Ags
AG
They really want to beat Bama. Go get the only other active college QB to do it
PyriteAg
AG
Man, what's with QBs going to teams they beat?
Showstopper
AG
Stupid@17 said:

No, they got rid of that rule. How do you think we got Max Johnson from LSU?
aggiehawg
AG
From Jimbo's offense to Harsin's?
DimebagsGhost
AG
he is undefeated vs bama
agz win
AG
Does Auburn have a dedicated QB coach?
KCup17
AG
This is surprising to me but Auburn do need a Qb and Finley really isn't that great.
SinKiller
aggiehawg said:

I'm not sure you know what you're saying...
Agsuffering@bulaw
That sounds like a bad fit.

Harsin's offense is almost as complex as jimbos and asks the QB to hang in the pocket. This is especially true of an immobile QB who cannot throw on the roll well.

Plus, we have a better OL and better weapons.

Calzadas problem is handling pressure. He would be better served going somewhere with either a great OL or that lets him make less reads and get it out quicker.
aggiehawg
AG
SinKiller said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Bryan Harsin isn't bringing his Boise State offense to Auburn. He's not installing longtime SEC assistant Mike Bobo's offense either.

Auburn's first-year head coach plans to work with Bobo and his new assistants on the offensive side of the ball to build an Auburn offense that stands on its own.

"I think the philosophies that he and I both have at the quarterback position as far as the offensive philosophies, those mesh," Harsin said. "And then what we're trying to do now to blend those ideas and bring this offense to Auburn that we want to create."
Link

Of course he fired Bobo. So now what?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Stupid@17 said:

Username definitely checks out.
W
AG
looking at Auburn's 2022 schedule...

the Tigers open the season with 5 straight home games.

and play 8 homes games overall.

that's one reason to go to UA next year
ElephantRider
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

I find it hard to believe that Calzada is a huge upgrade over anyone
BQAG02
AG
Better for him. He's turrible in road games.
W
AG
that's what I was thinking too
ArmaLite
This would be huge for him. Though I doubt it will happen.
sincereag
Calzada just needs more reps and playing time and he'll be fine. He's shown that he's capable of being a winner and leader at QB. He made some very good throws for us and is tough as nails and he beat Bama.
CrottyKid
AG
I don't want him giving a scouting report on our offense to Auburn.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
ElephantRider said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

I find it hard to believe that Calzada is a huge upgrade over anyone

Calzada was very accurate when he wasn't having happy feet (granted that wasn't very often).
Finley couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in Auburn's bowl game. Way too long on deep passes and under throwing short ones.
maver1ck
AG
I like Zach and want him to succeed somewhere

Auburn ain't it. Dematrius Davis is a stud and will win that QB job.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Among the names that were floated as candidates to be Auburn football's new offensive coordinator, Austin Davis was perhaps the most curious. Auburn knows the least about him, and his background is entirely in the NFL.
But that makes the 32-year-old an intriguing hire, as well. The flashiest names aren't always the best hires, and Auburn coach Bryan Harsin was allured by Davis from afar despite never having worked together.
What does this hire mean for the future of Auburn's offense?
Quote:

The biggest unknown about this hire is how Harsin and Davis will delegate responsibilities between each other. There's no precedent for Davis as a play-caller or in any role similar to this. Harsin has a reputation for preferring to keep some play-calling jurisdiction to himself, though. In that context, the hire makes sense: Harsin could take over play-calling while Davis oversees the offense and uses his NFL experience to work closely with quarterbacks on their development.
Quote:

In Harsin's eight years as a head coach, he has never been a solo play-caller and has always had an offensive coordinator at least somewhat involved but Harsin's teams use his terminology and philosophy.

"Coach Harsin likes an upbeat, a tempo type of offense, which I love," quarterback T.J. Finley said. "Getting guys lined up, shifts and motions and things of that nature, getting them crisp."
Quote:

So if Davis was in fact hired primarily to be a quarterback whisperer, he will acquire a position group in limbo. Three-year starter Bo Nix entered the transfer portal Monday and will not return to Auburn. LSU transfer T.J. Finley, who started Auburn's final two games with Nix injured, is a candidate to start next season. He was 51-for-91 (56%) with 600 yards in his first year as a Tiger. Auburn also has reaffirmed quarterback commitments from freshman Dematrius Davis and 2022 recruit Holden Geriner.

But the element of mystery is whether Davis is a compelling enough figure to attract other transferring quarterbacks to Auburn this offseason. That might have been Harsin's hope, given Davis' work with Wilson. But again, there's no precedent to determine Davis' powers of persuasion. His recruiting chops might be tested early by how effectively he can pull out of the portal.
Link
Azariah
AG
Stupid@17 said:

Was your coma restful?
pete85
AG
His inability to complete any touch passes aside, Calzada couldn't scramble if his life depended on it. Outside of the one good late run that he against Bama, he inevitably would trip over his own feet whenever he had open field. Very little balance to keep upright.... so maddening to watch time after time!

Dude was tough and a competitor... I will give him that.
12thMan9
AG
nbaker2022 said:

Doubt Davis ever takes a snap at QB there.
Ronnie '88
Luke The Drifter
AG
pete85 said:

His inability to complete any touch passes aside, Calzada couldn't scramble if his life depended on it. Outside of the one good late run that he against Bama, he inevitably would trip over his own feet whenever he had open field. Very little balance to keep upright.... so maddening to watch time after time!

Dude was tough and a competitor... I will give him that.

His final TD passes in the CU and Bama games were two of the most beautiful touch passes you'll ever see. But unfortunately that's where the list ends.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
rootube
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

That sounds like a bad fit.

Harsin's offense is almost as complex as jimbos and asks the QB to hang in the pocket. This is especially true of an immobile QB who cannot throw on the roll well.

Plus, we have a better OL and better weapons.

Calzadas problem is handling pressure. He would be better served going somewhere with either a great OL or that lets him make less reads and get it out quicker.

Joe Burrow looked like a middle of the pack SEC QB until the year he smashed the LSU record book and won the Heisman. Not saying he is Burrow, but it's way to early to write him off.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
While there were definitely things you could point to say Calzada was never going to be great, one has to wonder how good he really can be because he was playing injured the entire time after the Bama game.

For all we know, the bum knee and fear of getting hit there again may have been a prime source of the happy feet.
SinKiller
aggiehawg said:

SinKiller said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Bryan Harsin isn't bringing his Boise State offense to Auburn. He's not installing longtime SEC assistant Mike Bobo's offense either.

Auburn's first-year head coach plans to work with Bobo and his new assistants on the offensive side of the ball to build an Auburn offense that stands on its own.

"I think the philosophies that he and I both have at the quarterback position as far as the offensive philosophies, those mesh," Harsin said. "And then what we're trying to do now to blend those ideas and bring this offense to Auburn that we want to create."
Link

It's not like Jimbo's offense is getting raves from any circles...A recent 3rd down comes to mind...
Phoenix1
I thought he already announced he was transferring to Pitt. Isn't an undergrad only allowed to enter the portal once?
walton91
Pretty sure that was just speculation. Kedon Slovis has announced he is transferring to Pitt so I think its unlikely ZC ends up there
maver1ck
AG
12thMan9 said:

nbaker2022 said:

Doubt Davis ever takes a snap at QB there.

What's your reasoning? He shoulda been playing the bowl game imo. He would've put up more points than Finley did.
aggiehawg
AG
SinKiller said:

aggiehawg said:

SinKiller said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Link

It's not like Jimbo's offense is getting raves from any circles...A recent 3rd down comes to mind...
My point being is that Harsin had his offensive scheme at Boise for several years. Balanced run.pass with HUNH thrown in. Gets to Auburn, hires Bobo and changes that up a bit. Fires Bobo and now hires a youngish NFL guy primarily known as Russell Wilson's QB Whisperer.

So you tell me which type of offense Harsin believes in now?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.