Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Evolution of Kyle Field

9,062 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by twk
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Seven Costanza said:

At what point in time did college football go from "a bunch of guys from our school are going to meet up and play a bunch of guys from your school, and people are going to come watch it" to something with paid coaching staffs with players that were specifically invited to attend the school to play football?

That question depends on the school, but probably in the 1920s. By the mid-30s, it was a lot like it is now, in terms of what you're speaking of. Once money got involved, state schools and private schools like Notre Dame and USC started funding the programs to compete. The Academies and the Ivys kept up somewhat as long as they could but by the '60s, started to wane. The '70s brought scholarship limitations, the split of the Divisions, and a system pretty much like it is now.

What is left unexplained is why A&M had very little success between our championship year and these reforms. The war(s) didn't help. But I'm at a loss to further explain it. t.u. overrecruiting doesn't explain everything.

No ladies and compulsory Corps membership meant you were coming to A&M for reasons other than athletic prowess I believe.

OK, I forgot about the Corps, but frankly during that time, I don't think people saw it the same way we see it today. In other words, I don't think it was until the '60s that young men saw being in the Corps as something they'd really rather not do. Many joined National Guard units while in college.

Those that had no interest in any of that weren't going to play football anyway. But I guess you're right about women.
ABATTBQ87
AG
My dad is class of 1958 and said A&M of that era was called Sing Sing on the Brazos and the school colors should have been khaki, green, and brown
micahb2002
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

My dad is class of 1958 and said A&M of that era was called Sing Sing on the Brazos and the school colors should have been khaki, green, and brown

When I worked for Congressman Ralph Hall he called it the same thing. We were one of the few schools he hadn't attending in his multi college career, but it was all in fun.
twk
AG
Since this has been bumped, I'm going to add an overlay that I did showing the approximate original location of the football field as it relates to the current position.

ABattJudd
AG
OilManAg91 said:

What was the problem with how Charlie Moran ran the athletics program in 1915 and why did we agree to fire him in order to join the SWC? Was it simply that he was too successful, in which case we should have told t.u.to stick it up their ***. Or was there something else going on?

Interesting tidbit: after Moran left A&M, he ended up as the head coach at Centre College. He was their HC from 1917 - 1923, which means he would have been their coach when we played them in the Dixie Classic and E. King Gill was called down from the stands.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
sanaug
AG
Was on the first row of the bleachers one game. Standing on the turf
Charlie Moran
AG
I ran a clean program ! The teasips couldn't stand the fact I was consistently kicking their ass
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
Charlie Moran
AG
On another note none of these photos show the wooden bleachers in the south end zone that existed in the 50's and 60's. I used to sit in the so called " Knothole " with my brother as kids for $0.50 a game. At half time my folks would come pick us up and take us to empty seats in the west stands. My Dad was as cheap as they come
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
twk
AG
Charlie Moran said:

On another note none of these photos show the wooden bleachers in the south end zone that existed in the 50's and 60's. I used to sit in the so called " Knothole " with my brother as kids for $0.50 a game. At half time my folks would come pick us up and take us to empty seats in the west stands. My Dad was as cheap as they come
For some reason, there is a real dearth of photos at Kyle Field from the 50s and 60s. No idea why. However, here are links to a couple of videos from family movies taken in the 50s that do briefly show those south endzone bleachers.

https://texasarchive.org/2017_03076

https://texasarchive.org/2015_01693
William_C_G
AG
Thank you, OP!
twk
AG
So, while waiting for our game to begin, though I might show you what kind of facilities the competition had back in the 30s when the old horseshoe was new.

Baylor:

Rice:

TCU:

SMU:

t.u.:

LSU;

Bama:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.