Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Evolution of Kyle Field

9,034 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by twk
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is the 1926 Longhorn's summary of the early history of Kyle Field

Early games were played on the Drill Field. This photo shows game action, with the Assembly Hall (Hart Hall was built on that site when it was demolished) in the background.

When Prof. Kyle set aside part of his horticulture garden (about 6 acres) for athletics, the football field was not located in quite the same spot that it is now. The area that became known as Kyle Field included the future locations of Deware Fieldhouse, Downs Natatorium, and what is now the A football parking, in addition to the current stadium structure. Here is a photo from a football game in 1906 on "Kyle Field" which you can tell from the photo was configured in an East/West direction (the Old Main building is behind the north sideline) as opposed to the field we are all familiar with, which runs North/South.

Prof. Kyle later arranged the purchase of the covered grandstand from the Byran fairgrounds, and this became the center of the seating at Kyle Field for not only football, but baseball and track as well.

However, even with additional bleacher seating, the sips refused to come to College Station (the teams used to split the gate evenly back then, so money was a factor in this decision). When relations between the schools broke down over how Charlie Moran ran the program, the logjam was broken by formation of the Southwest Conference in 1915. A&M agreed to get rid of Moran, but the sips had to agree to come to College Station. Recognizing the need for larger fan capacity, A&M moved the football field over to what is approximately its current location.

The following photo shows the new field in about 1919 (Guion Hall and Bizell Hall had been built)

Initially, the track and baseball fields remained at the old location (with the old covered grandstand). In fact, as was the practice at the time, the track contained a 220 yard straightaway that extended well beyond the rest of the track oval, running immediately behind and parallel to the back line of the North endzone of the new football field. The following photo shows action from a 1924 game against Tarleton.

With the opening of Memorial Stadium in Austin in 1924, it became apparent that the wooden bleachers of Kyle Field simply wouldn't do, even with bleachers in the endzone as seen in this photo of the 1925 t.u. game.

So, a plan was developed to build a proper stadium. The baseball grandstand (which had been rebuilt in 1923) was moved to the Southwest corner of Kyle Field (basically, the south half of today's A lot), and the track was moved to the football field. The West side of the horseshoe was built in 1927, and the remainder in 1929.

Nothing changed until 1954, when an extension that ran between the 40s was built along the West side, including a new press box.

For some reason, when the decision was made to expand again in the 1960s, the stands of the 1953 structure were covered over, and a second deck was built which still utilized the 1953 press box in 1967 (East side upper deck was not completed until 1968).

The history from there is familiar to most of us: 3rd decks constructed on the East and West sides in 1979-80, construction of the North endzone stands in 1999, and the major rebuild in 2014-15. The only thing that remains from the 1967 photo is the center section of the East upper deck.

Edit: I decided to add a few more photos to complete the evolution:

sportsfreak1975
Interesting how the end zones are painted in the last picture.
Andrew Dufresne
Back when chicken wraps cost a dime
AgDotCom
sportsfreak1975 said:

Interesting how the end zones are painted in the last picture.
That was common back then.

At A&M Consolidated high school home football games in the 1960s (on Holick Street), the north goal post had maroon and white crepe paper streamers hanging from it. The south goal post had streamers of the colors of the visiting team.
HarveyBirdman
AG
Pretty cool pics and timeline

Also good to confirm yet again that the sips are giant *****es and refuse to play if things aren't to their advantage
fc2112
Changed a little.

whoop1995
AG
Marketing starts at kyle field to fill stands as Knot hole gangs were formed in Aggieland for kids to enjoy games. Kinda fits with the wooden fence around Kyle field from photos above. And I can imagine the kids looking through the fence to see the game. Don't know why I thought of it but lots of teams had a knothole gang back then.

From battalion in 1944
The Aggie Knot Hole Gang will function again this year. The kids really get a break for, while their elders plank down $2.50 to see the Aggies perform, Knot Holers will pay only 25 cents if under 12 years of age, or 50 cents over 12. Each child, however, must obtain a Knot Hole card from his school officials, and this card is given only if the child is making passing grades in his studies. This plan has been in operation several years.

Thank you for the posts above that was a great presentation of Kyle field.

Edit: if you look close on the picture above with the 1927 and 1929 description you can see the people looking over the fence and through the fence line in the south end zone and at straight away start line of track.

I remember Kyle field was open during the day during the early 90's and I used to go there to study in the north end bleachers and sometimes take a nap or two.
My Name Is Judge
Badass timeline breakdown

Thanks Op
Cheating ass refs are the real pandemic
TAMUallen
AG
The name is DeWare for history's sake.
double aught
AG
Awesome post! What a great history our school has!
ABATTBQ87
AG
from the 1918 Longhorn (A&M yearbook): Aggies then had a sense of humor

amercer
AG
Great history. Interesting how the character of the stadium was pretty constant until the latest renovation.

The new stadium is nice, but it didn't really preserve any of the feel of Kyle. It's basically just a new building.
PeekingDuck
AG
Sips have been *****s from the *********beginning.
medwriter
How very interesting. I am a big history fan. I love seeing how life and all of the activities we take for granted today were conducted in the past.
milner79
Best post of the off season, OP.
45-70Ag
AG
Interesting A&M would put a burnt orange endzone with Texas spelled out when we played them. I'm assuming Texas did this as well when A&M played there?
twk
AG
I posted some old photos on the baseball forum that are relevant to this discussion, as they show the relation of the old Kyle Field to the post-1915 Kyle Field, including pictures showing the track with the football bleachers in the background.

Link
twk
AG
45-70Ag said:

Interesting A&M would put a burnt orange endzone with Texas spelled out when we played them. I'm assuming Texas did this as well when A&M played there?
I think there was a pretty brief window where we did that before going to Astroturf. When we went back to grass, Leo Goertz didn't like to use too much paint as it was hard on the grass.

I don't know the year of this photo, but it's obviously a game against the sips sometime after the little west side addition was built, and before '67. As you can see, no paint on the endzones here:

SinKiller
I saw games before 2nd deck, was there for the second deck, there for the 3rd deck, there for the last game of the horseshoe (pouring rain the entire game), at reduced Kyle for the Nebraska win (top 5 loudest game, despite reduced seating), sitting in the Zone for 1st game, and sitting in the South EZ (after having my tickets taken from me in the Zone) for the 1st game in "new" Kyle...
OilManAg91
AG
What was the problem with how Charlie Moran ran the athletics program in 1915 and why did we agree to fire him in order to join the SWC? Was it simply that he was too successful, in which case we should have told t.u.to stick it up their ***. Or was there something else going on?
twk
AG
OilManAg91 said:

What was the problem with how Charlie Moran ran the athletics program in 1915 and why did we agree to fire him in order to join the SWC? Was it simply that he was too successful, in which case we should have told t.u.to stick it up their ***. Or was there something else going on?
The sips felt that he was using ringers (not actual students), or offering inducements of some sort. Charlie was sort of the original Jackie Sherill in that he could get under the sips skin. Perhaps he got under the skin of some of the administration? At any rate, they felt it was a price worth paying in order to get the SWC formed, and have control over where they played the games.
88Warrior
twk said:

45-70Ag said:

I think there was a pretty brief window where we did that before going to Astroturf. When we went back to grass, Leo Goertz didn't like to use too much paint as it was hard on the grass.

I don't know the year of this photo, but it's obviously a game against the sips sometime after the little west side addition was built, and before '67. As you can see, no paint on the endzones here:

I like how each 5 yard line is marked….I think LSU is the only one doing it now….
ABATTBQ87
AG
1955 Aggieland (1954 halftime)

BostonAg74
I think I recognized Nick Starkel in one of those photos.
OldArmy71
AG
I love this thread. Thank you, OP.

The first Aggie game I attended was the 1959 game against tu.

My uncle worked in the ticket office and he got us tickets in that box seat section you can see very well in this photo and in the other photo of the "new" addition.

Also, looks as if they're adding on to G Rollie White in the background. I know there were basketball courts up there when I was there (1967-1971).
Seven Costanza
AG
At what point in time did college football go from "a bunch of guys from our school are going to meet up and play a bunch of guys from your school, and people are going to come watch it" to something with paid coaching staffs with players that were specifically invited to attend the school to play football?
Kenneth_2003
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Oh look... The construction of the back half of G. Rollie. I don't think I've ever gotten more lost than in the back half of that building. I figured when they tore it down they probably found half a dozen students still trying to find their KINE class.
GSPag`
I wish someway we could have preserved the arches under the horseshoe. Though I know it was not feasible financially.
twk
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Oh look... The construction of the back half of G. Rollie. I don't think I've ever gotten more lost than in the back half of that building. I figured when they tore it down they probably found half a dozen students still trying to find their KINE class.
Maybe this would have been helpful:

double aught
AG
It was truly labyrinthian. It was actually kind of fun getting lost in that ancient network of hallways/rooms.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Seven Costanza said:

At what point in time did college football go from "a bunch of guys from our school are going to meet up and play a bunch of guys from your school, and people are going to come watch it" to something with paid coaching staffs with players that were specifically invited to attend the school to play football?

That question depends on the school, but probably in the 1920s. By the mid-30s, it was a lot like it is now, in terms of what you're speaking of. Once money got involved, state schools and private schools like Notre Dame and USC started funding the programs to compete. The Academies and the Ivys kept up somewhat as long as they could but by the '60s, started to wane. The '70s brought scholarship limitations, the split of the Divisions, and a system pretty much like it is now.

What is left unexplained is why A&M had very little success between our championship year and these reforms. The war(s) didn't help. But I'm at a loss to further explain it. t.u. overrecruiting doesn't explain everything.
Kenneth_2003
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Seven Costanza said:

That question depends on the school, but probably in the 1920s. By the mid-30s, it was a lot like it is now, in terms of what you're speaking of. Once money got involved, state schools and private schools like Notre Dame and USC started funding the programs to compete. The Academies and the Ivys kept up somewhat as long as they could but by the '60s, started to wane. The '70s brought scholarship limitations, the split of the Divisions, and a system pretty much like it is now.

What is left unexplained is why A&M had very little success between our championship year and these reforms. The war(s) didn't help. But I'm at a loss to further explain it. t.u. overrecruiting doesn't explain everything.

No ladies and compulsory Corps membership meant you were coming to A&M for reasons other than athletic prowess I believe.
gigem70
AG
Great thread, thanks for posting.
B-1 83
AG
Here's to "fish seating" in the portable aluminum bleachers in the end zone!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Pro2Percent
AG
Love this history. Awesome job.
Gig This Ags!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.