Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Any chance we may have to revoke offers?

6,248 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Atreides Ornithopter
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering the gold rush of 5 and 4 stars to A&M's recruiting class, it is unfortunate that we don't have unlimited room for top recruits. What do we do if some 3 star players decide to accept and we have a 5* expressing interest as well?

How would Jimbo handle it? Would he privately tell the 3* to look elsewhere?
amercer
AG
If you are a 3 star who hasn't committed at this point you may have less options. I'm sure we've been clear about that for months.
Just Tired
infinity ag said:

based on what? recruiting rankings? if that is the case, probably wouldn't have taken the commitment of nabou who is a relatively lower-rated recruit.

btw, that tactic didn't work out well for orgeron after the natty. don't think jimbo will trapdoor anybody.
AG
amercer said:

If you are a 3 star who hasn't committed at this point you may have less options. I'm sure we've been clear about that for months.

You may have fewer options, but definitely not less.
infinity ag
Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

based on what? recruiting rankings? if that is the case, probably wouldn't have taken the commitment of nabou who is a relatively lower-rated recruit.

btw, that tactic didn't work out well for orgeron after the natty. don't think jimbo will trapdoor anybody.

I don't know... if I was a 3* and not yet committed and A&M had Perkins looking to commit, then I don't think Jimbo would want me over Perkins. Or a Shemar.

Like Dorian Friend.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/dorian-friend-241004
AG
Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

He already has the past couple of cycles. Part of process at good programs.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Who did Jimbo trapdoor? List names if you are going to publicly make accusations like this.
IslanderAg04
Depends on the kid. Aaron Donald was a 3* and Kalil Mack was a 2*. Just saying.
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Who did Jimbo trapdoor? List names if you are going to publicly make accusations like this.

The Vaka kid for one. If you'd paid attention the last few years, you'd know there were a couple of others.

They don't make a big official announcement about it, but listen close enough to Billy and he'll tell you without telling you.
wbt5845
AG
There are trap doors and then there are trap doors.

You can let a kid know he is going to have little chance to play and encourage him to "open his recruitment back up" and decommit.
AG
Of course, and that's how it's done. They don't just call the kid and tell him they are pulling his offer for someone better. That would be recruiting suicide. They even help place them at other programs in some instances.

But it happens here, just as it does at all other good programs.

In fact, they tried it with a player in Jimbo's 1st class here and the player decided he was going to stay anyway. Never played a down as far as I know.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
There's always a pecking order. It all depends on where you are in the pecking order.
threeanout
AG
infinity ag said:

Considering the gold rush of 5 and 4 stars to A&M's recruiting class, it is unfortunate that we don't have unlimited room for top recruits. What do we do if some 3 star players decide to accept and we have a 5* expressing interest as well?

You explain to them how the grey shirt process works.
Just Tired
infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

I don't know... if I was a 3* and not yet committed and A&M had Perkins looking to commit, then I don't think Jimbo would want me over Perkins. Or a Shemar.

Like Dorian Friend.

i may have misinterpreted your original post. no problem to pulling an uncommitted offer... hopefully not to pulling a commitment.
infinity ag
Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Like Dorian Friend.

i may have misinterpreted your original post. no problem to pulling an uncommitted offer... hopefully not to pulling a commitment.

I guess I was not clear in my OP either. Yes, I meant recruits who are not yet committed. A 3* vs hotshot 5* and 1 spot available.
TyHolden
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

nobody gets backdoored here. this is not tu.
AG
TyHolden said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

nobody gets backdoored here. this is not tu.

The Agly Duckling
Just Tired said:

don't think jimbo will trapdoor anybody.
So much this. You don't do that to recruits, their parents, their HS coaches . . . . you just don't do that unless you're a Dbag. What you do is be honest with all of the recruits. "Hey, we just got another LB, so we've only got one more spot . . ."

Never trapdoor anybody.
halfastros81
AG
If you needed to Could you put some subset on academic or some other non athletic scholarship? There's probably some rule against it but with NIL it seems like the whole system is open season.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Like a previous poster said, nobody gets trap-doored. They tell the commit that the situation has changed and that he is unlikely to get a chance to play. But, the choice is his. Not many remain committed after hearing that.

What is the alternative? Let him discover on the first day of practice that he is just a tackling dummy?
Meanmachine
AG
Once they are committed you honor it. I'm a big believer that most great teams are 3 and 4* recruits that play with a chip on their shoulder. You need really talented 5* guys but sometimes those guys don't know how to work hard and have the grit you want in a championship team. You want that Dan Marino mentality. He was so pissed that all those qbs were drafted ahead of him that he used it to motivate himself all the way to the HOF.
JJxvi
AG
How many nights in a row do we need this thread?
Agvet12
AG
Meanmachine said:

Once they are committed you honor it. I'm a big believer that most great teams are 3 and 4* recruits that play with a chip on their shoulder. You need really talented 5* guys but sometimes those guys don't know how to work hard and have the grit you want in a championship team. You want that Dan Marino mentality. He was so pissed that all those qbs were drafted ahead of him that he used it to motivate himself all the way to the HOF.

….and never won a SB

So you're saying we need to grit out our to a non natty with 3* and 4* and a sprinkle of 5*??? How's that worked out for us since 1939?
AWP 97
AG
infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Like Dorian Friend.

I guess I was not clear in my OP either. Yes, I meant recruits who are not yet committed. A 3* vs hotshot 5* and 1 spot available.

Am I confused on what the question is? If there is one spot left and you have a five star and a three star available, you take the five star. Unless, you just really like the three star.
Meanmachine
AG
I'm not saying you don't need 5* players but unless your Nick Saban and convince the 5* guys they are really just 3* guys it can back fire on you. If you look at most NFL championship teams they don't have all 5* HS players. They are 4* guys that know how to put in the work it takes to be great. Brady, Jerry Rice to name two are prime examples that it's more than just a 5* pedigree. So pulling a committed 3 or 4* guy to give his spot to a higher rated guy can and will back fire on you.
AggieDub04
AG
4 said:

amercer said:

You may have fewer options, but definitely not less.

You may also have lesser options.
wbt5845
AG
infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Like Dorian Friend.

Any three star not yet committed has likely had their offer pulled. It usually says right on the offer that the coaches can pull it if not accepted.
ABattJudd
AG
4 said:

Of course, and that's how it's done. They don't just call the kid and tell him they are pulling his offer for someone better. That would be recruiting suicide. They even help place them at other programs in some instances.

In fact, they tried it with a player in Jimbo's 1st class here and the player decided he was going to stay anyway. Never played a down as far as I know.
I would hope Jimbo, or any coach, would never do that. However, we had a kid at the high school where I teach (he'd been in my 9th grade geography class) who had committed to USCw when Spurrier was there. They called the morning of signing day and yanked his offer.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Showstopper
AG
infinity ag said:

If you are talking offers to uncommitted players, I'm pretty sure there are guys that had offers that don't anymore. Those things don't last until signing day unless a guy is elite good (not even most four stars should wait that long).

If you are talking revoking offers to committed players that is a different kettle of fish and if you do it, it better be from a high school you aren't planning to recruit again. It happens, but people definitely remember.
jdaggie2112
I don't remember who it was, but a year or two ago there was a low 3* commit that everybody assumed his offer would be pulled (seems it was a low rated OL that didn't further develop in HS after his commitment), but Fisher took the commitment and said something about he does not pull offers after a guy has committed. He always honors the commitment.

He may talk to someone and explain the realities of playing time, etc, but if a kid commits he has a spot.

Now if you are talking about not taking a commitment from a kid that has an offer, thats different. Not all offers are commitable.
The Zookeeper
AG
ABattJudd said:

4 said:

I would hope Jimbo, or any coach, would never do that. However, we had a kid at the high school where I teach (he'd been in my 9th grade geography class) who had committed to USCw when Spurrier was there. They called the morning of signing day and yanked his offer.

Geography teacher?
AggieDub04
AG
jdaggie2112 said:

I don't remember who it was, but a year or two ago there was a low 3* commit that everybody assumed his offer would be pulled (seems it was a low rated OL that didn't further develop in HS after his commitment), but Fisher took the commitment and said something about he does not pull offers after a guy has committed. He always honors the commitment.

He may talk to someone and explain the realities of playing time, etc, but if a kid commits he has a spot.

Now if you are talking about not taking a commitment from a kid that has an offer, thats different. Not all offers are commitable.

It was Jimbo's first or second recruiting class and it was a kid who had committed to Sumlin. The kid kept his commitment and Jimbo honored it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Getting trapdoor is not just you are told you don't have an offer anymore, it has to so with the timing as well. Getting trapdooed is when it happens like 2 day before signing day. Not 2 months.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.