Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What Baylor has, that we don't: Play calling

7,693 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgLaw02
Cactus Jack Spivey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cevans_40 said:

Cactus Jack Spivey said:

OSU just ran split zone inside the 2 and scored, might want to install that too.

What is your guess? I say minimum of 12 different blocking schemes in our system.
One scheme with an unlimited way of getting to it. Formation, motions et al. You obviously get it.
DimebagsGhost
AG
cevans_40 said:

Cactus Jack Spivey said:

OSU just ran split zone inside the 2 and scored, might want to install that too.

What is your guess? I say minimum of 12 different blocking schemes in our system.
also two defenders followed the QB who didn't have the ball.

That is a huge difference when your QB is a threat to run
HoopsAg
cevans_40 said:

HoopsAg said:

Other teams have play creativity and wrinkles for what the defense is doing… and we don't

Stick to bouncy ball

Truth hurts huh…
TexasAggie81
JohnLA762 said:

If you recall, we tried that on 3rd and 2 against LSU. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how unpredictable the play calling is if execution isn't there.

I think OP means to use that kind of play MORE than once.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Romello said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

12thMan9 said:

Sparkie said:

It's easy to be an offensive genius against B12 defenses
Oklahoma State: 3rd in total D in the nation.

I am not going to say big 12 stats are meaningless but they kind of are. Osu and baylor would not finish in the top 6-8 of the sec so they play in a JV conference. You don't really count stats of jv games in high school and osu having the third best defense is a perfect example of why.

Like A&M, if they moved and played in the SEC they would likely be able to improve their recruiting with the exposure and notoriety of playing in the best conference. They are doing very well given their circumstances.

Although your hypothetical is accurate in my opinion the point is what are they now? Both of these teams are well coached teams no doubt. They lack big time sec talent and playing against a very average league they padded their stats. That's why they are ranked 3rd in the nation on defense.
Cactus Jack Spivey
TexasAggie81 said:

JohnLA762 said:

If you recall, we tried that on 3rd and 2 against LSU. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how unpredictable the play calling is if execution isn't there.

I think OP is better suited to TPS reports.
aggielax48
AG
That Baylor trickeration is really working out now.
cevans_40
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

JohnLA762 said:

So you think that Jimbos go-to play on 3rd and short in a must have situation is a play we hadn't run a minimum of 20 times in practice? Or are you advocating that we should try out all or clutch plays at random times during the game so we get them on film?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Sparkie said:

cmarkmat said:

Third and goal: soft pass to a wide open receiver for a TD. We MUST get more aggressive and inventive. The Fran and Slocum offense days are done. It's time to open it up. We put WAY to much pressure on our QB by having him pass in obvious pass situations. Open it UP! Become unpredictable

OkState, KState, Iowa State, WV, not to mention Baylor, are all top 50 in total defense. Of the teams that we lost to, only MIss. St. (if you can believe that) is so ranked. You can argue that is a function of who they play, but keep in mind the Big 12 is reputed to be a pass-happy offensive minded league, so if they have highly ranked defenses, isn't that saying something for those teams? Besides, our non-conference schedule (we rank 20) wasn't exactly stellar.

The top 20 defensive list includes all probable playoff teams except for Notre Dame, who's 29. So the list is legit.

(SEC Teams: UGa -- no surprise they're 1; Bama, Us, Miss.St., SoCar, and Florida).
DimebagsGhost
AG
Remember Baylor's playcalling included going for fourth down on their own 30 yard line. Not smart
Cactus Jack Spivey
cmarkmat said:

Third and goal: soft pass to a wide open receiver for a TD. We MUST get more aggressive and inventive. The Fran and Slocum offense days are done. It's time to open it up. We put WAY to much pressure on our QB by having him pass in obvious pass situations. Open it UP! Become unpredictable
Pokes really should have called Soft Pass there. Not sure what they were thinking.
ironmanag
AG
Maybe I am crazy but I have not been blown away by Baylor's playcalling.
Sterling82
There's a great play call for ya! Roll left on a critical 3rd down. It fooled everyone.
cevans_40
AG
Cactus Jack Spivey said:

cmarkmat said:

Pokes really should have called Soft Pass there. Not sure what they were thinking.

GoodAg Paulie
AG
Good God. This vaunted BU offense has 21 point with 4 minutes left and none of those scoring drives were longer than 50 yds. What exactly is so spectacular that we must do?? They don't even have 250 total yds yet?? Some of you guys need to stay off the internet.
Onionman
You can blame playcalling all you want but to beat LSU.....we only had to keep LSU from driving 85 yards at the end of the game for a TD with 2 mins left and no timeouts and we couldn't do it.

Cactus Jack Spivey
Onionman said:

You can blame playcalling all you want but to beat LSU.....we only had to keep LSU from driving 85 yards at the end of the game for a TD with 2 mins left and no timeouts and we couldn't do it.

You keep hitting threads wanting a reaction, kind of like a b****. Congrats.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Looked to me like completely clueless offense in the 2nd half. Baylor needed okie lite to beat themselves, which Gundy's teams have been good at doing over the years.
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
TyperWoods
Well they suck.

So, they got that going for them.
CowPieAndFries
They scored 21 on Okie State. What an offense.
Formerly CowPieAndFries
Traveler
AG
Are we talking about the same Baylor that just racked up a whopping 21 points against a B12 defense.

Yeah, real offensive geniuses roaming the sidelines over there ...
Stone44
AG
12thMan9 said:

Sparkie said:

Look at their schedule. Jeez.
AGDAD14
Are you including the most boneheaded 4th and 1 call of the year by the Bears?

BTHO tu forever!!!
cevans_40
AG
That slurpfest sure ended quick in here.
Onionman
Cactus Jack Spivey said:

Onionman said:

You keep hitting threads wanting a reaction, kind of like a b****. Congrats.
Nice try but I've made like 2 posts the last week.

TexasAggie81
Stone44 said:

12thMan9 said:

Sparkie said:

Look at their schedule. Jeez.
The schedule obviously doesn't matter to the folks who rank teams for the CFP. They look at wins and losses first. That's why teams we might be able to beat on the field are ranked far above us.
Cactus Jack Spivey
Not sure what 'like two posts' means. Curious.
Onionman
Cactus Jack Spivey said:

Because I was typing my 3rd post of the week. But whatever.

I'm more curious why you are acting like I was flooding the forum with posts and why you are calling me names? I guess it makes you feel special.
Cactus Jack Spivey
Onionman said:

Cactus Jack Spivey said:

I'm more curious why you are acting like I was flooding the forum with posts and why you are calling me names? I guess it makes you feel special.
Thank you for your quick response. According to my records- your responses and cry for negative attention and trolliing attempts have rated you a b****. Not necessarily quantity of posts. I hope this clarifies or 'whatever'.
htownag10
Onionman
Cactus Jack Spivey said:

Onionman said:

Cactus Jack Spivey said:

Thank you for your quick response. According to my records- your responses and cry for negative attention and trolliing attempts have rated you a b****. Not necessarily quantity of posts. I hope this clarifies or 'whatever'.
So you saying, "You keep hitting threads wanting a reaction." has nothing to do with quantity but quality.

And me stating my opinion on a football forum is trolling.

Got it. Thanks for explaining your logic so quickly.
Austin Ag
AG
What Baylor has, that we don't: A Big 12 Schedule
Dr RC
cmarkmat said:

The fact that you are comparing how Jimbo calls games to RC and Fran... wow. Are you blind drunk by the end of the first quarter every game?

JImbo's issue is he ABANDONS the run. Not that he relies on it too much. If he's like anyone from A&M's past it's Mike Sherman.
Dr RC
Traveler said:

Are we talking about the same Baylor that just racked up a whopping 21 points against a B12 defense.

Yeah, real offensive geniuses roaming the sidelines over there ...

Okie Lite has a top 5 defense in the nation this year. Do you guys even watch teams other than A&M?

Okie LIte is #3 in yards per game, #4 in yards per play,#4 in PPG, and #4 in TDs given up.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game
Dr RC
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Last night, Utah ran a similar play on 3rd and short that we did. They executed it well and got a 1st. QB got rid of the ball sooner and blockers blocked for Utah.
Utah also has a QB who can actually run the ball well and that play wasn't to finish off the game.

Sorry but Jimbo running that play with Calzada will always be indefensible.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.