Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Spencer Rattler is a terrible teammate

18,588 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Leander - Ag
Loyalty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Round Rock AG said:

Harry Dunne said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Watched that game vs. KU last week; the freshman QB is on the sideline rallying the defense, imploring them for one more stop.

Rattler was alone the whole game staring, looking like the NFL QB that got benched and is now just waiting to be traded. Except he's a college kid on a full-ride scholarship.
So you're mad at him for acting like a grown man when he's a college kid?

He's definitely got some maturing to do, but like the poster above said, the uniform can change a lot of opinions around here. If he played for us next year and threw for a bunch of touchdowns he could probably get away with being a drunken drug addicted fool wearing a Scooby uniform with sparklers in his mouth amirite?

Don't give me that we don't want him garbage. He's miles better than Calzada or King and I'd take him in a heartbeat.

From what I've heard from a friend of mine with season tickets to OU games, he's toxic and his teammates cant stand the guy. We don't want him.
well by all means if you've heard it from a friend of yours…and what's that you say, he has season tickets?!?!

Well then it must be true.
Ok dude, whatever. My friend knows more than I do and definitely knows more than you do about OU football. But hey if Harry disagrees then we all need to just shut up and fall in line right?

Will leave this up to Jimbo. If Spencer want to come here and Jimbo agrees then, I'll follow Jimbo's lead and support it.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Speak for yourself. not every kid is going to be Drew Brees. Most have some growing up to do. He's not a criminal, which we have had plenty of. He's just an immature turd, but he's got more talent than our current QBs combined and Jimbo did OK with Jameis Winston who also had a cannon but was actually a criminal.
Be fair. Winston was probably a turd before actually turning to crime.
alamogeorge
AG
Aggie said:

If he played at A&M this thread would be full of " he is competitive " and " that's what I want from my QB" replies

The uniform can change an opinion like no other

You can be a great player and a ******bag. Right, Johnny?
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Txmoe said:

gotsand said:

Txmoe said:

Aggie said:

If he played at A&M this thread would be full of " he is competitive " and " that's what I want from my QB" replies

How the eff does a thread about a dbag QB at another school--and not even an SEC school yet--become an opportunity for Aggies to poop on each other?
Txmoe, meet The Zoo.

Zoo, meet Txmoe. He appears to be new here. Try and make him feel welcome.
Sarcasm, meet gotsand. gotsand, meet sarcasm.
Some baby powder will do wonders for that diaper rash.
Harry Dunne
I'm just busting your balls because you used some dude with season tickets that gossips with his buddies about the team as "evidence".

No doubt he knows more than me about OU football, and no doubt rattler is a massive turd, but that's not the point. Do you know who else was a massive turd? Kyler Murray. Johnny Manziel. Jameis Winston.

Some of us are willing to have players like that under the guidance of a coach like Jambo who can help straighten them out. some others are living in a dreamworld where they think every player is like Tebow or Brees.

I don't GAF about feel good Cuban immigration stories. I want to win ball games. There's somewhere we should draw the line as far as criminal behavior, but I'm not going to pass up on an elite QB just because he is a standard issue teenage turd.
bigblackag12
AG
Harry Dunne said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Watched that game vs. KU last week; the freshman QB is on the sideline rallying the defense, imploring them for one more stop.

Rattler was alone the whole game staring, looking like the NFL QB that got benched and is now just waiting to be traded. Except he's a college kid on a full-ride scholarship.
So you're mad at him for acting like a grown man when he's a college kid?

He's definitely got some maturing to do, but like the poster above said, the uniform can change a lot of opinions around here. If he played for us next year and threw for a bunch of touchdowns he could probably get away with being a drunken drug addicted fool wearing a Scooby uniform with sparklers in his mouth amirite?

Don't give me that we don't want him garbage. He's miles better than Calzada or King and I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Johnny's teammates seemed to like and play hard for Johnny. That was what i heard from players when he was here, that he would die for them and vice versa All I have heard from my ou friends is that spencer is and has been a terrible teammate with a bad attitude and his work ethic has declined. I dont know for sure but these are people that I trust saying those things.

And i know we have a clipped video with no broader context but my thoughts were mine before I saw this

Edit to add that Spencer is not the player he was at all and you can have him. Maybe he pans out but its looking more like a burn out to me. Kid doesnt have it anymore
Midnight Yale
AG
I think this thread has devolved into "all types of unsavory behavior are equal." This is a good argumentative strategy if you're trying to convince me that I should want Rattler because I like Manziel, but they're not problem kids for the same reasons. Johnny pissed his NFL hopes down the drain because he couldn't stop partying. You know who loves to party? Most college kids. JFF was just dumber about it (who'd party in Austin anyway?) and got more attention for it because he was the reigning Heisman winner.

Being a party animal is not the same as being unable to command the respect of teammates because you are more focused on money than doing your job. Johnny did his job, for the most part (though a national championship would've been nice). You can tell his teammates liked and respected him. You cannot say that about Rattler. More importantly, you can tell that Rattler doesn't respect his teammates. Manziel (like Baker Mayfield) disrespected opponents. Big difference there.
MooreTrucker
AG

Calzadas Calzones need to be an NIL thing
Harry Dunne
CalzadasCalzones said:

I think this thread has devolved into "all types of unsavory behavior are equal." This is a good argumentative strategy if you're trying to convince me that I should want Rattler because I like Manziel, but they're not problem kids for the same reasons. Johnny pissed his NFL hopes down the drain because he couldn't stop partying. You know who loves to party? Most college kids. JFF was just dumber about it (who'd party in Austin anyway?) and got more attention for it because he was the reigning Heisman winner.

Being a party animal is not the same as being unable to command the respect of teammates because you are more focused on money than doing your job. Johnny did his job, for the most part (though a national championship would've been nice). You can tell his teammates liked and respected him. You cannot say that about Rattler. More importantly, you can tell that Rattler doesn't respect his teammates. Manziel (like Baker Mayfield) disrespected opponents. Big difference there.
These are fair points. Winning trumps all and if Rattler were putting up Manziel numbers we wouldn't be having this conversation. If Manziel hadn't put up Manziel numbers he would have just gone down in history as the idiot that got arrested for getting in a fight with a homeless man and showing a fake ID. I don't think Kyler was ever some sort of great leader whose teammates liked and respected him. He matured, got better coaching, and put up numbers, which made him a lot easier to like and respect.

Anyway, I think being humbled at OU and getting a new start and some tough coaching could do it for Rattler and I don't think we're so flush at QB that we shouldn't give him a shot, if that ever becomes a possibility.
Petrino1
I hate Rattler as much as the next guy and I think hes a terrible teammate. But this video appears to be two good friends busting each others balls. Even the sucky WR at the end said they have these crazy arguments and then everything goes back to normal.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Big thing with Rattler is that he has been told he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I watched the QB1 and the coach said about the backup "He is the second best QB in Arizona" instead of saying something like "I have the two best Qb's in Arizona". Rattler has been placed on a pedestal and guess what he has a massive ego. Hope he learns from Taint martell and gets more humble or else he'll be sitting on the bench for South Alabama or Arizona Technical College or something.
Divining Rod
Done7 said:

I would still want him to compete for the starting QB position at A&M next year.....
and THAT's the difference between a you and a Jimbo Fisher. He doesnt recruit problems hoping they'll change.
Txmoe
AG
gotsand said:

Txmoe said:

gotsand said:

Txmoe said:

Aggie said:

How the eff does a thread about a dbag QB at another school--and not even an SEC school yet--become an opportunity for Aggies to poop on each other?
Txmoe, meet The Zoo.

Zoo, meet Txmoe. He appears to be new here. Try and make him feel welcome.
Sarcasm, meet gotsand. gotsand, meet sarcasm.
Some baby powder will do wonders for that diaper rash.
I get it, you're still trying to teach me zoo etiquette by making a joke that would be funny in junior high. Well done!
sleepybeagle
AG
Aggie said:

No...no I wouldn't. That's not what a leader does.
Harry Dunne
Divining Rod said:

Done7 said:

I would still want him to compete for the starting QB position at A&M next year.....
and THAT's the difference between a you and a Jimbo Fisher. He doesnt recruit problems hoping they'll change.
https://www.al.com/sports/2014/09/jameis_winston_has_embarrassed.html

Quote:

The action is holding the eyes of Pam Miller, 43, whose brother-in-law coached Winston in baseball in Hueytown. "I am furious with Jameis," says Miller, her gaze locked on her son. "I came here and saw him play in high school and he was a special talent. But in high school they allowed him to do whatever he wanted. You could see then that there were problems. So no one here, sadly, is shocked by anything he's done.

"His parents haven't held him accountable, his coaches haven't and the police in Tallahassee haven't. I feel bad for him. I pray for him. Because so many people who are supposed to be leaders are failing Jameis."

Sitting close to Miller is Gary Jennings, 59, whose son, Bo, played cornerback for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2001 to '02 and is now the head coach of the Hueytown Heat youth soccer team, which is dominating on the field. "Jameis doesn't have any respect for women and it's like he constantly needs attention," he says, while watching his grandson dribble the ball. "He's embarrassed Hueytown. If I were his father, I would have had a serious, serious talk with him a long time ago. I'll still root for him, but I fear for him."
Midnight Yale
AG
Harry Dunne said:

CalzadasCalzones said:

These are fair points. Winning trumps all and if Rattler were putting up Manziel numbers we wouldn't be having this conversation. If Manziel hadn't put up Manziel numbers he would have just gone down in history as the idiot that got arrested for getting in a fight with a homeless man and showing a fake ID. I don't think Kyler was ever some sort of great leader whose teammates liked and respected him. He matured, got better coaching, and put up numbers, which made him a lot easier to like and respect.

Anyway, I think being humbled at OU and getting a new start and some tough coaching could do it for Rattler and I don't think we're so flush at QB that we shouldn't give him a shot, if that ever becomes a possibility.

You do make a very good point: you don't need to be the world's greatest leader if you're putting up numbers. Rattler stayed the starter until the sooners were down three touchdowns to an inferior whorns team. I don't want Rattler near our locker room, but I hope he gets his crap together. No sense in wasting a lot of talent. Leadership is a skill that can be built as much as tackling or conditioning.
DimebagsGhost
AG
Ryan Leaf starter kit
TopoTacos
AG
Tudster said:

So you're telling me that a high profile, highly recruited high school quarterback, who has likely been treated as a demigod all his life acts like ******?

I'll be damned…

Very few QBs get to elite success with that attitude. You can be a locker room cancer as a RB or a WR and still find success (see guys like Antonio Brown), but if you can't give respect you won't get respect and a QB needs the respect of their team to reach the highest plateaus in this sport.

Much more likely they flame out like a Tathan.
BrandoC
AG
He is one ugly looking son of a gun.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Did none of you watch the QB1 season where he was featured on Netflix? This could be seen from a mile away
TMoney2007
AG
Mayor West said:

He'll just transfer to OU and win a Heisman…
Optimal Comment. Well done.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TopoTacos said:

Tudster said:

So you're telling me that a high profile, highly recruited high school quarterback, who has likely been treated as a demigod all his life acts like ******?

I'll be damned…

Very few QBs get to elite success with that attitude. You can be a locker room cancer as a RB or a WR and still find success (see guys like Antonio Brown), but if you can't give respect you won't get respect and a QB needs the respect of their team to reach the highest plateaus in this sport.

Much more likely they flame out like a Tathan.

But wait… this board had me convinced kyler Murray was a diva. "kryler"
NoahAg
Meh, as much as I would like to bash the kid this just looks like a talented, arrogant QB being a talented, arrogant QB. I'm not saying it's right or that he's a good kid, but I'd bet this is pretty tame compared to what could be heard in locker rooms across the country.

Anyway, I think we'll be ok w/ some combo of Calzada/King/Weigman.
Let's go, Brandon!
Harry Dunne
DimebagsGhost said:

Ryan Leaf starter kit
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-leaf-1.html?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#passing

Not sure this is quite the insult you think it is.
socalpoohah
RoadkillBBQ said:

Done7 said:

I would still want him to compete for the starting QB position at A&M next year. People change and learn to be better leaders.
Ags will have King, Calzada and Weigman competing for the starting job next year. Has there ever been that depth of talent competing for the starting job before?

Kyle Allen and Kyler but who at #3?

Let Rattler mature at a G5 program. There's as good a chance he ends up Martelling as changing his attitude.

I would argue McGee/Johnson/Tannehill was as good, if not better talent pool for a coach to choose from. Crazy that the third string QB in that race had the best NFL career.
bigblackag12
AG
NoahAg said:

Meh, as much as I would like to bash the kid this just looks like a talented, arrogant QB being a talented, arrogant QB. I'm not saying it's right or that he's a good kid, but I'd bet this is pretty tame compared to what could be heard in locker rooms across the country.

Anyway, I think we'll be ok w/ some combo of Calzada/King/Weigman.

If I was a coach i wouldn't want my QB1 talking to any of my team like that. Joking around is one thing but this seemed to have more tension behind it. This screams Tathan Martell saying "ass my dude". A ****ty attitude for a position that essentially requires leadership and respectful behavior towards teammates. This is more than an arrogant qb, this is an unsupportive disrespectful teammate. No space for that in a locker room.
AWP 97
AG
Round Rock AG said:

helloimustbegoing said:

It's what he's been taught. Pride comes before the fall.

Suck it up, admit your arrogance and go find a place that will give you a second chance. My guess is his pride will rule and in 5 years he'll loading trucks at the Walmart distribution center.

He'll continue to get chances as long as his talent is there. People will overlook his attitude for a while. Anybody that watched him on QB1 on Netflix could see this coming.
GigEmTx
Harry Dunne said:

I think you're equating "hype" with "talent". Rattler certainly has a lot of "hype". He even has tons of "potential". You might say he has great "arm talent". If you're talking about the specifics of talent at the QB position, though, leading a team is about a lot more than throwing a ball and Rattler's just not very good at this point. Calzada and a healthy King are both by far better options at the position because either of them will lead a given team to more wins than Rattler.

If you make the point that he's just a kid and will grow out of it, I'll point out that he's a grown man at 21 and he's still having these issues. We're all presumably wiser at 50 than we were at 21, but unfortunately, professional football isn't so forgiving. You either develop the ability to lift your teammates early on in life or your career passes you by. Lots of guys figure that stuff out after they've lost their career.

Johnny had his off-the-field issues, and bipolar played a role limiting his career later on, but he made his teammates better while he was in college. He didn't try to publicly humiliate them. That's why Johnny's college team supported him and Spencer's team dumped him.

I'd like to see him figure it out because I like to see good football, and he certainly has "potential". It's a long shot at this point, though. The insecurity is strong with that one.
GigEmTx
Harry Dunne said:

DimebagsGhost said:

Ryan Leaf starter kit
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-leaf-1.html?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#passing

Ryan Leaf NFL stats

I think this is what he was referring to.
spherical
AG
Wow. But good for the wide out recognizing the problem, understanding what he needs, and then asking for it.
spherical
AG
Seriously- watch him build up his team during the bowl game against duke
Harry Dunne
GigEmTx said:

Harry Dunne said:

DimebagsGhost said:

Ryan Leaf starter kit

Ryan Leaf NFL stats

Who GAF what his NFL stats were? JFF's NFL stats were atrocious too. Don't think that would stop us from taking another Johnny, would it?

If Leaf had played for the Aggies he'd be easily the second best college quarterback that ever played here, and that includes one that has had a pretty good NFL career.
GigEmTx
Harry Dunne said:

GigEmTx said:

Harry Dunne said:

DimebagsGhost said:

Ryan Leaf starter kit

Ryan Leaf NFL stats

Who GAF what his NFL stats were? JFF's NFL stats were atrocious too. Don't think that would stop us from taking another Johnny, would it?

If Leaf had played for the Aggies he'd be easily the second best college quarterback that ever played here, and that includes one that has had a pretty good NFL career.
I'm scratching my head as to how anyone could possibly think it's a good idea to bring a locker room cancer in for a trial.
Leander - Ag
AG
Born loser
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.