Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Are we not a top 5 coaching destination?

11,533 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teslag
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, what LSU football is now is a mess.
ChillyAg19
AG
A&M was able to pull away a National Championship coach from a "blue blood" school. Who cares what other people say the proof is in the pudding.
aTmBonfire
AG
The reason it matters is perception. When a talking head makes a statement that would suggest your program is not a top 5 coaching destination, recruits hear that as "maybe I need to consider other offers that I have from [a perceived] top 5 program".

When they were talking about this during the game, I couldn't figure out the detail A&M lacks that is keeping it back from being considered as such. I believe we are a top 5 coaching destination. We have the money to pay whatever we want for whatever coach we want. We surpass any facilities in the country (maybe with the exception of Oregon). We have the academics and faculty support. We have easy access to a lot of great high school talent. We have everything any other top program has with the exception of a history of championships, and a monopoly on the in-state talent.

It doesn't seem to me that any coach would consciously make a decision to work somewhere based on how his predecessors did. I have to imagine that top D1 coach's are looking at the factors that impact there ability to win in the immediate future. When considering the full package, I don't think there is a school that can offer anything better than what A&M has to offer.
Roman Empire
AG
chillyschleemies said:

A&M was able to pull away a National Championship coach from a "blue blood" school. Who cares what other people say the proof is in the pudding.

Not without a truckload of money.
Roman Empire
AG
The biggest knock on A&M is our lack of blue bloodedness. The blue blood programs established their bonafides 50+ years ago. This perception is constantly re-enforced by national media, oral histories and the record books. Nothing we can do about it. That's not to say we can't win or get a top 5 coach (like we currently have), but we'll never get the extra benefit of a doubt. The perception of Top 5 is probably never going to happen, so let's just go out and earn an actual Top 5 again. And again.
Rec
AG
chillyschleemies said:

Only because Jimbo, FSU and the Tallahassee PD we're complicit in covering up al the awful **** that happened there over many years. If Jimbo had had the College Station PD, he wouldn't have no ring. And Rapist Winston is still a massive scumbag imho
Roman Empire
AG
Baylor is definitely not Top 5. Hope the enjoy their very short Aranda Era.
Teslag
AG
NoahAg said:

ironmanag said:

NoahAg said:

We're top 15 but LOL at top 5. Off the top of my head, these would all be higher than A&M:

Bama Yes
OSU Yes
Michigan debateable but okay
ou No
t.u. Not even close
LSU No
PSU No
Notre Dame Yes
USC Not any more
Florida Hell no
Georgia No
Oregon Not yet

Pathetic list from a self loathing loser.
That's a well-articulated rebuttal.
I'm sorry that facts hurt your feelings. We're a much more desirable destination than 10 or 20 years ago for sure. And our recruiting and facilities have certainly improved a ton since joining the SEC.

But I think a lot of Aggies overestimate or national relevance. It has gotten better, but until we at least win the SEC West we are stuck about where Clemson was a couple years before they stopped "Clemsoning."

We've stolen two coaches from teams on your list above us. They've stolen none from us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.