Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Tech May Have Fired Their Coach

9,070 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ironmanag
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

At 5-3 they should give Wells the rest of the season to get bowl eligible IMHO. That was a crappy loss to KSU to be sure, but they could get 6 or 7 Ws maybe.

The candidate list begins and ends with Sonny Dykes if they can make that happen, and I think they can/will.

Remaining schedule for Tech
@ #4 OU
vs #22 Iowa St
vs #15 Ok St
@ #16 Baylor

The KSU game probably was their chance to get to 6 wins. They very well lose all those games and go 5-7, without a bowl game again...

Probably the most likely scenario, but it's not like they are playing UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, and A&M to finish the season.

I'd give them a punchers chance in each game. As well, they lost their starting QB a few weeks ago, which we know well what impact that can have.

Not saying the firing wasn't coming, but no reason to not wait until after the baylor game IMHO, other than they are just ready to move on even if they somehow went 7-5.

The KSU loss was bad, blew a 14 point lead, KSU had lost like 8 conference games in a row until Saturday...

It's tech, so don't really care and it doesn't really matter. They will never win even the watered down version of the Big 12....
Luke The Drifter
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

It's tech, so don't really care and it doesn't really matter. They will never win even the watered down version of the Big 12....

This.

Tech last shared a conference title (sort of...) in 1994. They last won an outright conference title in 1955. You read that right. 14 years BEFORE we landed on the moon...and 5 years BEFORE they joined the Southwest Conference...was the last time Tech was an outright conference winner.

And I say "sort of" shared the title in 1994 because they actually finished in a 5-way tie for second place behind A&M that year. We were on probation and could not go to a bowl game, so the Southwest Conference had to pick a Cotton Bowl representative from the 5-way cluster ___ behind the Aggies. Tech was chosen to go to the Cotton Bowl because - and I kid you not - it had been the longest since they had been in the Cotton Bowl. That's how they broke a 5-way tie...they sent the team who had experienced the most futility.

Texas, Baylor, TCU, Rice, and Tech all finished at 4-3 in SWC play in 1994 and Tech was chosen to be the best of the group because they had historically done the worst.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
The Collective
AG
I don't think their conference fortunes would be any different with Leach, but I like to agree with my Tech acquaintances who believe it. It just rubs the salt in the wound a bit deeper.
South Platte
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Tech will never be relevant again. Talk about a 100 yr decision. Getting rid of leach has to go down as one of the worst decisions made by an AD.

I guess. Outside of his 2008 Tech team and 2018 WSU team, Leach has been pretty marginal over his 20 year coaching career.

His 2008 coaching staff included Ruffin McNeill, Lincoln Riley and Seth Littrell, 3 pretty good head coaches. Who knows if he would have been able to replace those guys. I mean, he's 60 years old and coaching at the 2nd worst SEC program. If he was really that good he wouldn't be there.
nu awlins ag
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I questioned the hire. This is premature, unless there are off-field problems. They are 1 win away from bowl eligibility. They will be dogs in the last 4 games, but all of the opponents are beatable.

Dr.k and big 12-0 assured everyone here that the hire would be killer, turns out the killer is the coach getting canned. Couldn't happen to a better academically challenged school!
Repeat the Line
5 straight losing seasons, and likely a sixth in the works.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Does it really matter. Tech and Baylor being left in the Big 11 AM should kill off any remaining hope those schools ever had at being relevant again.
Duckhook
AG
According to this story, he gone.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32472924/sources-texas-tech-fires-head-coach-matt-wells-13-17-record-names-sonny-cumbie-interim-coach
Stone44
AG
Spike Dykes was the only coach that ever wanted to be at Tech. Maybe his son feels the same way. He has done a great job at SMU, but I think tech is way too much of a challenge for anyone. No one wants to be in Lubbock.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

No one wants to be in Lubbock.

They promoted the OC Sonny Cumbie to interim HC. He played his high school ball in nearby Snyder and apparently turned down a couple of scholarship offers to walk on at tech. His wife is a tech grad as well. This is his 2nd stint at coaching in Lubbock so it appears that he might want to be there, but I doubt that he's ready to be a permanent HC if he even wants the job.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CapCityAg89
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Aggie said:

SinKiller said:

Art Briles?

I'll say right now, I know many don't like him and I know he won't get much credit on this board as being a good football coach. But he will be a P5 head coach again one day.
Just hope it's not at a school we play or recruit against.

My biggest fear is somehow Briles ends up at LSU

The social media mob will keep him from getting too good of a job. He was hired by a Canadian team (I think) several months back but resigned amid backlash before he ever coached a game. And I think he was just a coordinator, not even the head coach.

Tech is about the only P5 school he could go to and stay under the radar. LSU is too big of a brand to take a chance on someone with that much baggage.

I'm not saying the social justice mob is right, but they are powerful and they'll keep Briles away from anything too high profile. For reference, see Greg Schiano and Tennessee. Best that guy could do was return to Rutgers where no one cares about football.

I'll say it - the social justice mob is 100% right.

Art Briles enabled RAPE. Multiple rapes. He should be in jail. If he's ever even interviewed again, that school president should be fired. The NCAA should be burned down for many reasons, but the fact he's not banned for life is way up on that list.
texag_89
ny_aggie said:

I think Elko to Penn State if Franklin goes. He's a NE guy

If this happens, go get the former mizzu hc, current arkie dc, immediately.

Little Rock Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

Tech will never be relevant again. Talk about a 100 yr decision. Getting rid of leach has to go down as one of the worst decisions made by an AD.

KU firing Mangino and Nebraska firing Pelini Solich also proved disastrous.
FIFY
Titan83
AG
My dad was a sophomore on their '55 team. As a member of the border conference, they had to play offense and defense, with exceptions for kickers and maybe the qb. Border conference wanted to develop the complete football player….. Tech opened the '55 season by beating tu in Austin.

According to my dad, Leach was not well liked among most of the big money donors at tech due to his "pirate" personality and lack of participation at red raider club events. The James kid incident provided the red raider club the leverage they needed to have their winningest coach fired. That move has worked out really well.
SilverTongueDevil
Wells was a mediocre hire. Always risky to hire a head coach who has never played or coached at the P5 level. Before coming to Tech he had spent his entire playing and coaching career at Utah St.

There are a lot of hot coaching prospects that Tech can get. Dykes, K Briles, Traylor would be decent. Holgerson would be a great fit there. Once Texas and OU leave Tech could compete regularly with the right coach.
They probably made the move now to give Cumbie a shot. They have 4 games vs ranked teams. Also very possible they already have a deal with Dykes.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
sonnysixkiller
AG
Didn't realize tech-tards still played football.
Spyderman
AG
I bet it's young Dikes.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
As Texas Tech head coach, Matt Wells went 13-17 but just 7-16 in Big 12 games and 7-17 against Power 5 teams. Texas Tech is currently 5-3, but losing their last 4 games to Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Baylor seemed very likely. They even struggled against FCS teams over the past two years with a 35-33 win over Houston Baptist on 9/12/20 and a 28-22 win over Stephen F. Austin on 9/11/21. Texas Tech led Kansas State 24-10 at halftime, but Kansas State scored 15 unanswered points for a 25-24 road win to snap an 8-game losing streak in Big 12 games. Blowing a double digit halftime lead in a very winnable Big 12 home game was the last straw for Matt Wells.
91AggieLawyer
AG
NoahAg said:

KU firing Mangino and Nebraska firing Pelini also proved disastrous.

KU/Mangino, maybe, but Nebraska firing Pelini couldn't come fast enough for most people in Lincoln. You'll notice he isn't doing anything right now, and for good reason. No one wants him anywhere near their campus.

Its true that Nebraska is not where they want to be and are disappointed with Frost's results, but that doesn't mean they want Pelini back. Pelini had several losing seasons at Youngstown State -- he only had ONE good one, in fact. And that was FCS. If he coaches again, I'll be surprised.
cj774
AG
I kinda felt sorry for the Tceh fans and made the mistake of going over to their 247 site to read up on whats going on with them. Let's just say it reminded me of why I hated Tceh back in the Big 12.

I wouldn't mind if they sucked for the rest of their existence.
ironmanag
AG
I guess Tech wants a team that scores 55 points but allows the other team to score 65.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.