Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Tech May Have Fired Their Coach

9,048 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ironmanag
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie football related because we used to play them something, something, something or another...

Maybe he's fired, maybe not yet...
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
ironmanag
AG
This would be so tech like.

They have been getting better and better under Wells and actually field a somewhat competent defense.
cevans_40
AG
They just want Cumbie so badly.

Here's to hoping it works out like Kliff
Luke The Drifter
AG
ironmanag said:

This would be so tech like.

They have been getting better and better under Wells and actually field a somewhat competent defense.

Yep. He was bad his first two years with Kingsbury's terrible players, but is 5-3 this year with a national television win over a decent Houston team. Guess getting blown out by a mediocre Texas team and blowing a 2-TD lead to K-State was too much to overcome.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
NoahAg
Dang. I hope they don't steal Jimbo.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Tech will never be relevant again. Talk about a 100 yr decision. Getting rid of leach has to go down as one of the worst decisions made by an AD.

Only potential topper was thinking tubberville was a good fit.
TexAg15
AG
Lions will hire him?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
Macarthur
I really thought he was going to be a good hire for them.
NoahAg
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Tech will never be relevant again. Talk about a 100 yr decision. Getting rid of leach has to go down as one of the worst decisions made by an AD.

KU firing Mangino and Nebraska firing Pelini also proved disastrous.
Tamuco99
Pretty sure that the new coach will be named Sonny but it won't be Cumbie
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Elko to Tech?
ny_aggie
AG
They should get the UTSA coach. Knowing Hocutt he already has his guy.
Alpha Texan
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Elko to Tech?
Obviously. He gone.

Probably gonna take Jimbo with him.
ny_aggie
AG
I think Elko to Penn State if Franklin goes. He's a NE guy
The Dirty Sock
They're gonna probably take the utep coach. LOL
BTHOB-98
To me it is so obvious. They are going to hire Sonny Dikes from SMU. It's likely already a done deal.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
At 5-3 they should give Wells the rest of the season to get bowl eligible IMHO. That was a crappy loss to KSU to be sure, but they could get 6 or 7 Ws maybe.

The candidate list begins and ends with Sonny Dykes if they can make that happen, and I think they can/will.

Agsuffering@bulaw
I questioned the hire. This is premature, unless there are off-field problems. They are 1 win away from bowl eligibility. They will be dogs in the last 4 games, but all of the opponents are beatable.
W
AG

kind of yes and no with regard to Leach.

eventually recruiting to Lubbock was going to be a killer. It's just too far and too isolated.

especially as Baylor, SMU, and TCU improved in recent times
Geriatric Punk
AG

Leach would have bailed eventually.
Also, pretty sure the boosters (and we all know the hooker killing one) made that choice for the AD.

Weird year of CFB at any rate.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Wooster
Told Co-Worker (Tech Alum) Kendal Briles would be a good young coach to look at. He said he's heard talk of old man Briles being a strong consideration.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
At minimum they should have waited until Sunday IMHO...
Charlie Murphy
Last coach is having success in the NFL, this one got less than three seasons. What good candidates are gonna put their career in jeopardy and consider that role?
TexAg15
AG
KB is an idiot if he takes this gig. It's a career killer.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Dykes or Traylor are there for the taking. It's a great year for tech to go hire someone new.
Thanks and gig'em
SinKiller
ny_aggie said:

I think Elko to Penn State if Franklin goes. He's a NE guy
Zero chance this would happen. You don't take flyers for a program like that. Hell, if Jimbo left nobody in their right mind would want Elko to fill that spot. Above avg DC, there's more than 10 of those.
SinKiller
Art Briles?
Anchorhold
After losing their basketball and baseball coaches it sounds like they want to just burn the whole school down and start over.
Bison
AG
I hear Sumlin is available
Dr Lane Trowlan
Jarrin' Jay said:

At 5-3 they should give Wells the rest of the season to get bowl eligible IMHO. That was a crappy loss to KSU to be sure, but they could get 6 or 7 Ws maybe.

The candidate list begins and ends with Sonny Dykes if they can make that happen, and I think they can/will.

Remaining schedule for Tech
@ #4 OU
vs #22 Iowa St
vs #15 Ok St
@ #16 Baylor

The KSU game probably was their chance to get to 6 wins. They very well lose all those games and go 5-7, without a bowl game again...
Luke The Drifter
AG
Anchorhold said:

After losing their basketball and baseball coaches it sounds like they want to just burn the whole school down and start over.

They didn't lose their baseball coach. There was talk/rumors of him coming to A&M, but Tech locked him up with a long-term, expensive contract (sound familiar?) They did lose their hoops coach to the 'sips, but their baseball coach is still in Lubbock.

Tim Tadlock Extension
AGSWON
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Elko to Tech?
No way Tech hires a Defensive minded coach. They tried that not long ago and it was a disaster. Tech will probably go after Sonny Dikes. Elko will probably have to take a mid major job first which would mean a major cut in pay.

I wonder if Michigan State would give him a chance if Mel Tucker takes the LSU gig.
Aggie
AG
SinKiller said:

Art Briles?

I'll say right now, I know many don't like him and I know he won't get much credit on this board as being a good football coach. But he will be a P5 head coach again one day.
Just hope it's not at a school we play or recruit against.

My biggest fear is somehow Briles ends up at LSU
Luke The Drifter
AG
Aggie said:

SinKiller said:

Art Briles?

I'll say right now, I know many don't like him and I know he won't get much credit on this board as being a good football coach. But he will be a P5 head coach again one day.
Just hope it's not at a school we play or recruit against.

My biggest fear is somehow Briles ends up at LSU

The social media mob will keep him from getting too good of a job. He was hired by a Canadian team (I think) several months back but resigned amid backlash before he ever coached a game. And I think he was just a coordinator, not even the head coach.

Tech is about the only P5 school he could go to and stay under the radar. LSU is too big of a brand to take a chance on someone with that much baggage.

I'm not saying the social justice mob is right, but they are powerful and they'll keep Briles away from anything too high profile. For reference, see Greg Schiano and Tennessee. Best that guy could do was return to Rutgers where no one cares about football.
Bobaloo
They should consider dropping football...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.